Minnesota Wild vs. Winnipeg Jets 2/26/19 @ 7:00PM CST at MTS Centre

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Jets Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (30-27-6)  66pts  5th in the Central

2.73 Goals For Per Game (27th in the NHL)

2.89 Goals Against Per Game (12th in the NHL)

20.7% Power Play (14th in the NHL)

80% Penalty Kill (19th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #11 Zach Parise ~ 24G 29A = 53pts

2. #12 Eric Staal ~ 18G 23A = 41pts

3. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 6G 34A = 40pts

4. #46 Jared Spurgeon ~ 12G 25A = 37pts

5. #22 Kevin Fiala ~ 10G 22A = 32pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 44 PIM’s

2. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 37 PIM’s

3. #29 Greg Pateryn ~ 35 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (24-21-5)  2.60GAA .911%SP  1SO

2. #32 Alex Stalock (6-6-1)  3.08GAA  .890%SP

Vs.

Winnipeg Jets (37-21-4)  78pts  2nd in the Central

3.35 Goals For Per Game (6th in the NHL)

2.97 Goals Against Per Game (15th in the NHL)

25.3% Power Play (4th in the NHL)

79.9% Penalty Kill (20th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #26 Blake Wheeler ~ 12G 60A = 72pts

2. #55 Mark Scheifele ~ 30G 38A = 68pts

3. #81 Kyle Connor ~ 24G 24A = 48pts

4. #12 Kevin Hayes ~ 14G 28A = 42pts

5. #29 Patrik Laine ~ 28G 12A = 40pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #8 Jacob Trouba ~ 54 PIM’s

2. #57 Tyler Myers ~ 51 PIM’s

3. #7 Ben Chiarot ~ 50 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #37 Connor Hellebuyck (27-17-2)  2.98GAA  .909%SP

2. #30 Laurent Brossoit (10-4-2)  2.45GAA  .929%SP  1SO

I wrote up the game preview, MNSOTA will be on the post-gamer this evening.  Beyond discussing tonight's game I also give my thoughts on the Wild's moves during the trade deadline.  It will be very intriguing to see how this team plays after what had to have been an emotional day for a lot of players.  For some of those players who had it on their minds and are still here, will they finally start playing with focus and energy or will they miss their traded friends so much they'll pout?  Tough to say with this group.  If there is any silver lining, the Jets have been playing like crap lately.  Enjoy and discuss...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Interesting...not one of the top five scorers for Minnesota was drafted by them...

We had one, and now he plays for the team that two of our top-5 used to play for.

Hopefully Fiala has a similar debut like Donato had. And work from there.

37 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I made the adjustments including placing Hayes in the Jets' top 5 in scoring just like I did with Fiala for us.  Still, I don't think it will really matter.  

Thanks, LIG. And 4 out of 5 players are our veterans - 2 forwards and 2 defensemen. The 5th one is our newcomer 22 y.o. Kevin Fiala.
For Jets 4 out of 5 are youngsters and just 1 veteran.  All forwards. 
A must win game for both teams and believe will be an interesting one. For us - to improve our standings; and for Jets- is a revenge game, because they lost 3 previous games against us this season, which is kind of an embarrassing status for the top team in our Division.

Should be the Wild's toughest game since they started their little winning streak, not only because of who the opponent is, but also because they will be without who was one of their bigger contributors all season, Mikael Granlund.

One could say Nino and Coyle weren't doing much for Minnesota, despite how either or both may fare now since they departed (Nino has been pretty good with the Canes), but Granlund HAD been steady for the most part and now we will see how a Minnesota Wild team can function without him.

Game 2 of a long stretch of very tough games against playoff bound teams (Calgary, then 2 against Granny's Predators, then Tampa Bay all after this), maybe the Wild catch the Jets not only trying to acclimate any new players brought in, but they have been scuffling around and giving up lots of goals lately too.

Starting with Winnipeg, these next few games should tell us what we have left with this team and perhaps give us a better idea of what needs to be done in the off season.

Boys in green on the road.
Go Wild GO!

:wild:

After those trades (Coyle and Granlund)I think the Nino's soul will feel better, that not only him was recently traded to the other team.  Wish them all the best in their new teams now. Business in sports is a business without exceptions. 
Regarding our current tough schedule - I think it is better for the team to have always that one at the end of the season(for a month and a half) to build a strong tough team's character before starting playoffs. Will see if the team is capable to carry that nicely.

30 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Patrick Laine, 40 pts and dead last in the league at -23  :blink[1]:

An overhyped one trick pony. Best shot in the league but can't create a shot on his own. Slow.

28 goals of which 20 on the PP. Last two games 3 goals and -5. Vanek 2.0

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Starting with Winnipeg, these next few games should tell us what we have left with this team and perhaps give us a better idea of what needs to be done in the off season.

Boys in green on the road.
Go Wild GO!

:wild:

I like green colors too - my most preferable color, then red, white and blue. Do not like at all yellow and black uniforms - kind of depressing colors.

2 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

After those trades (Coyle and Granlund)I think the Nino's soul will feel better, that not only him was recently traded to the other team.  Wish them all the best in their new teams now. Business in sports is a business without exceptions. 
Regarding our current tough schedule - I think it is better for the team to have always that one at the end of the season(for a month and a half) to build a strong tough team's character before starting playoffs. Will see if the team is capable to carry that nicely.

I hear ya...and the first order of business is to keep these Winnipeg Jets struggling.
Even if by smoke n mirrors...I'd LOVE for the Wild to go into The Peg, heavy underdogs and pull out a win.

As for the players traded, all three of those guys were faves of mine (I was planning on getting a #3 Charlie Coyle road sweater....I still may grab it...likely on clearance now... lol), and I DO wish them luck, however, it will be easier to wish luck to Nino and Coyle since they play for Eastern teams, while Granny and his NOW Predators will be in our face during the season (home at home in a couple games!), and if the Wild manage to sneak into the post season, could be a first round match up.

Man...how much would that hurt to see Granlund net goals against us!

At any rate, first things first, I also agree having a tough schedule and opponents, like this here Jets thing, is good for this group of Wild players....sink or swim now, boys.
Who knows....more player movement may happen in the off season too.
Maybe by then, Fenton will have his wits about him and actually make BETTER deals....

3 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

After those trades (Coyle and Granlund)I think the Nino's soul will feel better, that not only him was recently traded to the other team. 

They all must be happy. All in teams which have potential to advance in the playoffs. Must be weird for say Granlund to have such plethora of scoring prowess around him. The Preds have a monster team now after adding Simmonds too, maybe Tampa - Nash in the finals. Nino having Aho handing him scoring chances on a silver plate day in and out. Coyle back at home and maybe expectations more moderate than with us. Can play in a more relaxed mode.

Those guys are in heaven now, Alex!

2 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I like green colors too - my most preferable color, then red, white and blue. Do not like at all yellow and black uniforms - kind of depressing colors.

Bees are yellow and black. Why do you hate 🐝so much?!

How exactly is yellow is a depressing color? Why, when I write "Pods was here" in the snow it's magical! 

9 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

An overhyped one trick pony. Best shot in the league but can't create a shot on his own. Slow.

28 goals of which 20 on the PP. Last two games 3 goals and -5. Vanek 2.0

I don't know about overhyped...maybe a tad...but still, a 20-21 yr old kid who can do the things he can do?
He can play on my teams any day.
Plenty of time to sort things for himself.

Even if he does turn out to be a "one trick pony" for his career, it's a damned good trick! :biggrin:

Hopefully the Wild can keep him wondering about stuff till at least after this game though...

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Bees are yellow and black. Why do you hate 🐝so much?!

How exactly is yellow is a depressing color? Why, when I write "Pods was here" in the snow it's magical! 

Actually, yellow and black are more character colors for yellow jackets(wasps)  but not real bees. Bees having more brownish color in it.  But I have a bad allergy on bites of both - bees as well as wasps. 😟. Just a personal for me 2 colors (bright yellow and black) are too much for my eyes when I see it, especially, in sport uniforms. In general, for everyone is an individual feeling.
Here is a nice link to read about colors research:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/35304133/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/different-colors-describe-happiness-depression/#.XHWtsNJKhUQ

4 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Actually, yellow and black are more character colors for yellow jackets(wasps)  but not real bees. Bees having more brownish color in it.

Damn, if I don't stand corrected on the color of bees.

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

They all must be happy. All in teams which have potential to advance in the playoffs. Must be weird for say Granlund to have such plethora of scoring prowess around him. The Preds have a monster team now after adding Simmonds too, maybe Tampa - Nash in the finals. Nino having Aho handing him scoring chances on a silver plate day in and out. Coyle back at home and maybe expectations more moderate than with us. Can play in a more relaxed mode.

Those guys are in heaven now, Alex!

Yeh, those guys in heaven now, but our team is still trying to get there. I am not sure yet if our team will get there too this season? Or needs more tweaks to be done? 🤔

Archived