Is Wild GM Paul Fenton In Over His Head?

CreaseAndAssist

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Fiala dominating against Austria doesn't mean much to me.  The World Championships features a few 'A" teams, some "B+" teams and a bunch of clear B/C teams.  Suter looked like crap for Team USA.  Kaprizov was a minor player for fairly star studded Team Russia.  Still, Fiala has to be a stud considering what Fenton gave up to get him.  That's not Fiala's fault, that's all 100% on Fenton for putting all his eggs in one basket.  Fenton's latest miss, with the Kessel swap again flies in the face of the younger faster pledge.  Did anyone catch Russo talking about how Johansson wasn't Flahr's pick as much as he was Fenton's choice.  Ouch.  

I never give much attention to the IIHF World Championships. They almost remind me of an All-Star game. It's not like the Olympics where each country is trying to field the best team they possibly can. 

I have not listened to Russo's latest podcast. But if what Russo is saying is true, this team is in trouble. I never thought Flahr was that great of a scout, but if Fenton ignored the scouting departments recommendations to pick a third rounder in the first round, to me that just shows what an egomaniac Fenton is...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4Check said:

Granted it's only one pick, but I found both the pick and the suggestion by Russo that the Fenton regime was falsely blaming it on Flahr, troubling. 

I know in one of Russo's earlier podcasts he said not only was the locker room a mess, but the Wild front office was a mess too. Someone had tweeted him a question about why the Bruins organization always seems to be so organized and always on task and can make these consistent deep pushes into the Playoffs. His answer was that from the owner on down the Bruins organization is in sync, and that's a big difference from the Wild front office. He said the Wild front office is just as big a mess as the locker room is and that's why the team is in the state it's in.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I know in one of Russo's earlier podcasts he said not only was the locker room a mess, but the Wild front office was a mess too. Someone had tweeted him a question about why the Bruins organization always seems to be so organized and always on task and can make these consistent deep pushes into the Playoffs. His answer was that from the owner on down the Bruins organization is in sync, and that's a big difference from the Wild front office. He said the Wild front office is just as big a mess as the locker room is and that's why the team is in the state it's in.

Like many of us has said for a long time now, its a culture problem.  And that culture is at all levels of the organization.  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 10:18 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Like many of us has said for a long time now, its a culture problem.  And that culture is at all levels of the organization.  

Kind of wonder when the team culture went south and what caused it. Was it always bad? Did it start going bad towards the end of the Naegle ownership? Did it start with the Leipold ownership? With the Parise/Suter signings? Something else?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Kind of wonder when the team culture went south and what caused it. Was it always bad? Did it start going bad towards the end of the Naegle ownership? Did it start with the Leipold ownership? With the Parise/Suter signings? Something else?

I often wondered if there wasn’t something more behind wes walzes sudden retirement. 

The way that went always seemed odd to me. 

2 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I often wondered if there wasn’t something more behind wes walzes sudden retirement. 

The way that went always seemed odd to me. 

The only thing behind Walz’s weird retirement was his ego. He played like crap the first month of the season and then left the team hanging for over two months before he finally made the decision to retire. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

IMO there's no doubt the shift in culture began while under Leipold's ownership--but it became much more apparent after the Parise/Suter signings. 

Fletcher needed to go. No doubt on that. Fletcher was trying to improve the team but just kept striking out.

Normally I say give a new GM or coach some time to figure stuff out. As long as they have a game plan and stick to it I am willing to give a shot. Fenton, is a whole different beast. He says faster and younger. Goes to sign Staal (who I love) to a multiyear MTC contract when he is old and slower. What pisses me off more on this is Boston was willing to trade a 1st round for him. I don't care if Staal cries about being traded just trade him. He only has 1 to 3 years left anyways. Is looking to trade our fastest player who is still on the younger side and almost got a old and slow player in exchange. He drafts a guy that everybody said for sure is a 7th rounder in the 1st round. He trades as 1 for 1 deal instead of trying to maximize. And lets be honest here, who would have ever seen this coming from Donato. It's also very possible it was a fluke and Donato goes back to the player that Boston traded which would make ever trade a turd rolled in turds.

I guess this draft will seal the deal on Fenton. Personally I would be fine of letting Fenton go and maybe talk to Modano about taking that spot.

Also @CreaseAndAssist your write ups and articles really give Russos a run for his money. I find I enjoy yours so much more. You are willing to point out the flaws and not sugar coat it but yet still can give praise in areas that deserve. Bravo!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 1:22 PM, IllaZilla said:

Personally I think the truly toxic culture situation started when Suter & Parise arrived.  They were given unlimited authority and say over how the team went about its business on the ice.  Prior to that, I think their reputation was pretty good.  Especially in their more humble Lemaire years.  Then the players began to rule the roost and that's all she wrote.  Its about that time they started dancing around Koivu's ego too.  

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On 5/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, EJ0226 said:

Fletcher needed to go. No doubt on that. Fletcher was trying to improve the team but just kept striking out.

Normally I say give a new GM or coach some time to figure stuff out. As long as they have a game plan and stick to it I am willing to give a shot. Fenton, is a whole different beast. He says faster and younger. Goes to sign Staal (who I love) to a multiyear MTC contract when he is old and slower. What pisses me off more on this is Boston was willing to trade a 1st round for him. I don't care if Staal cries about being traded just trade him. He only has 1 to 3 years left anyways. Is looking to trade our fastest player who is still on the younger side and almost got a old and slow player in exchange. He drafts a guy that everybody said for sure is a 7th rounder in the 1st round. He trades as 1 for 1 deal instead of trying to maximize. And lets be honest here, who would have ever seen this coming from Donato. It's also very possible it was a fluke and Donato goes back to the player that Boston traded which would make ever trade a turd rolled in turds.

I guess this draft will seal the deal on Fenton. Personally I would be fine of letting Fenton go and maybe talk to Modano about taking that spot.

Also @CreaseAndAssist your write ups and articles really give Russos a run for his money. I find I enjoy yours so much more. You are willing to point out the flaws and not sugar coat it but yet still can give praise in areas that deserve. Bravo!

Unfortunately I do not see Fenton getting fired for at least a couple more seasons. He convinced Leipold he had a Five Year Plan to get the team to the Stanley Cup without tearing down the existing roster. That's what Leipold wanted to hear.

Leipold is afraid if the team mentions the dreaded "R-Word" and starts the inevitable losing, the fans will stay away and he'll start losing money. So that's why he felt it necessary to come out with the "It's NOT a REBUILD!!!" video.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, EJ0226 said:

Thanks!  I try my best...

52 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Huh.

I just saw that too...if it is true, it must've been from his show last night.  Not sure why anyone would have any faith in Fenton after such a careless move like that.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1

In hindsight the fact that Scott Stevens only did one year for us is probably an indication of a rotten culture in the whole organisation. The ones who won't take it leave and the ones who submit to the crap stay - and it's a vicious circle ad infinitum.

46 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

That's not all. Apparently everyone in the Wild organization told Fenton trading for Kessel when they didn't even know who was on his No Trade list was a bad idea and to not do it. But The Smartest Guy in the Room does it anyway, and then gets mad when Kessel tells him "Your team isn't even close to being a Cup contender. I'm not waiving it for you." And this was even after Suter talked to Kessel to try and get him to come to the Wild.

Also, Fenton's apparently been shopping Zucker to anyone and everyone and words gotten out. The Wild are getting a reputation in the league of not treating their players well. This is going to scare off a lot of free agents. And by this second faux pas with Zucker, Fenton has successfully lowered Zuckers trade value to the point where the Wild will be lucky to get a draft pick for him, becasue every GM now knows Fenton wants to dump Zucker.

And the Wild have about six scouts at the NHL combine. Every other team has at least a dozen. And the most experienced scout there has six years of service and the guy running  the show (PJ Fenton) has one year of experience.

If the Wild didn't look like a clown show before, they sure do now...

I heard that too on the latest Russo show.  I have ZERO faith in this GM.  None at all.  This draft is likely going to be another shitshow.  

4 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

In hindsight the fact that Scott Stevens only did one year for us is probably an indication of a rotten culture in the whole organisation. The ones who won't take it leave and the ones who submit to the crap stay - and it's a vicious circle ad infinitum.

DM me on Twitter @CreaseAndAssist

1 minute ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I heard that too on the latest Russo show.  I have ZERO faith in this GM.  None at all.  This draft is likely going to be another shitshow.  

Be interesting to see how many off the board picks this team makes. Russo thought they were going after Spencer Knight since Caulfield will be gone at 12. Not sure how I feel about that. Yeah, he's a great goalie, but to spend a first round pick on a goaltender, he better be the second coming of Jacques Plante...and it doesn't matter how great a goalie you have in nets IF THE TEAM CAN"T SCORE...

• Like 3

On 5/31/2019 at 7:52 AM, IllaZilla said:

Be interesting to see how many off the board picks this team makes. Russo thought they were going after Spencer Knight since Caulfield will be gone at 12. Not sure how I feel about that. Yeah, he's a great goalie, but to spend a first round pick on a goaltender, he better be the second coming of Jacques Plante...and it doesn't matter how great a goalie you have in nets IF THE TEAM CAN"T SCORE...

(shrugs)  The one time the Predators drafted a goalie in the 1st round it didn't turn out too well.  I think that's a smokescreen.  IMO, he better take a center or a fast, goal scoring winger.  

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  The one time the Predators drafted a goalie in the 1st round it didn't turn out too well.  I think that's a smokescreen.  IMO, he better take a center or a fast, goal scoring winger.  

Don't count on it

11 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I haven't done a whole lot of research, but from what I can tell, people have the Wild all over the place, from Arthur Kaliyev to Victor Soderstrom to Philip Broberg to Trevor Zegras...

One thing for sure is that whoever they draft won't help this team for at least two to three years...unless they draft another Filip Johansson, then it'll be five to six years

22 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I haven't done a whole lot of research, but from what I can tell, people have the Wild all over the place, from Arthur Kaliyev to Victor Soderstrom to Philip Broberg to Trevor Zegras...

One thing for sure is that whoever they draft won't help this team for at least two to three years...unless they draft another Filip Johansson, then it'll be five to six years

There is a Filip Johansson clone listed as the #12 prospect in the Hockey News' draft article.  About 6 feet tall, right shot defenseman with limited offensive ability.  

• Uggh... 1

I agree more and more with our fans opinion that the trades Nino-Granlund-Coyle to Rask-Fiala-Donato were not equal and made our team even weaker.  So far I am impressed with Coyle performance at the Stanley Cup playoffs. He is having already 8 goals there which is, personally for me, comparable with 10 goals of a real scoring forward Tarasenko.

I do think the Granny Trade was needed and could turn out in our favor, would have liked to get a pick as well out of this.

Nino was done here. He was my favorite player on the team but unfortunately it was him or Zucker, now we now its neither...WTF?!

Coyle for Donato is what had to happen, love Coyle but he never was the player here he has become in Boston. 

The Zucker trade is punch me in the face dumb, why get rid of our speed and overall great guy in the community because you want to make a big trade?

Is Rask in town working on his skating like they said he would or is he gone?