Potential moves for Flyers

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Cam Talbot and Brian Elliott, veteran goalies who can become unrestricted free agents July 1, are among the candidates to be Carter Hart’s backup with the Flyers.

But the Flyers are also exploring other options.

The Flyers may try to sign a free-agent goaltender like Curtis McElhinney, or general manager Chuck Fletcher could venture into the trade market.

“There are a couple balls in the air right now. We’ll see here in the next little while,” new coach Alain Vigneault said at the NHL draft Saturday when asked about the backup goalie.

I would certainly take a run at Curtis....he maybe just what Hart needs.

Put up some good numbers. 20-11-0-2 2.58 gaa 912% 2 shutouts in regular season.

Playoffs 3-2-0-0 2.01 gaa 930%

I think my #1 choice.

Curtis, I don't hear you unless you knock. f994011d-a9e4-4727-a6a7-11119e89709b_scr

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, brelic said:

@elmatus

That’s why I’m thinking Fletch May have one more big move this summer. Nothing he’s done really moves the needle with this team. It will make us better defensively, more stable on the PK and down the middle. 

Honestly, though, a lot will come down to how AV can get these guys to play. 

And of course, the X factor: goaltending. Can Hart start 50 games *and* provide more than league average goaltending for the team? And who’s his backup?

Yeah, I dunno. Ghost is the most likely still to be moved. At this point I'd rather he keep him really, but I don't know what Fletch would think to do. What would Homer do? 😁

The Leafs moved Marleau at little cost and signed their two other youngins. There's only Marner left now. I would be very shocked to see Marner traded anywhere. That guy has franchise material written all over him. I just can't see.

The Leafs are going to pay him whatever he'll agree to, and he's going to be there for term. I just can't see it any other way right now. They'll find a way to make it work.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, I dunno. Ghost is the most likely still to be moved. At this point I'd rather he keep him really, but I don't know what Fletch would think to do. What would Homer do? 😁

I mean, someone's gotta go.

Provorov/Niskanen

Sanheim/Braun

Ghost/Myers

Morin/Hagg

Schlemko

Schlemko can be waived and would probably clear... but if he doesn't, not the end of the world.

Morin and Hagg, however, would likely not clear.

So just because of sheer numbers, someone is getting moved.

Ek says 

Flyers WILL Move a D-man. Ghost or Hagg

That is the word around the league tonight...Montreal continues to talk to Philly 
Source: Eklund
Discuss this Rumor

Not sure what I'd want from Montreal. In any case, Hagg nets you a mid-round pick at best, while Ghost would actually get you a nice return.

50 minutes ago, brelic said:

Not sure what I'd want from Montreal. In any case, Hagg nets you a mid-round pick at best, while Ghost would actually get you a nice return.

Yeah Montreal isn't exactly where'd I'd go digging either, but I've seen them rumoured more than anyone.

I feel like Hagg makes way more sense. Ghost is too valuable to trade for unproven players or for a 3RW or anything. Hagg on the other hand it doesn't really matter much. Maybe trade him for a 2nd rounder or whatever. Hexy probably would have gotten two firsts and Carey Price, but yeah, a 2nd seems fine.

Hagg for a 3RW could be possible too. Byron? Armia? Shaw? It's kind of hard to judge value on Hagg honestly. If what MTL wants most is a bruiser, then he's definitely their guy. If they want a top four D, then Hagg ain't it. 

I have no idea what Fletch will do of course, but I feel like it doesn't make much sense to trade Ghost at this point. The only thing I could see would be some sort of package for a potential gamechanger like Marner, which seems highly implausible. As far as the habs go, they don't really have that kind of player to begin with.

That said, I can't shake the feeling Ghost will be traded for less than he should, and it's going to bite us in posterior.

Edited by elmatus

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Provorov/Niskanen

Sanheim/Braun

Ghost/Myers

Morin/Hagg

Schlemko

Schlemko can be waived and would probably clear... but if he doesn't, not the end of the world.

Ek says 

That is the word around the league tonight...Montreal continues to talk to Philly 
Discuss this Rumor

Montreal is connected to a trade rumor?

SHOCKER!

I still dont think Ghost is moved. The team needs a 3rw. You dont deal an elite d-man for that.

Unless they are making a blockbuster move, I just dont see him going anywhere

Edited by CoachX

51 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Yeah Montreal isn't exactly where'd I'd go digging either, but I've seen them rumoured more than anyone.

I feel like Hagg makes way more sense. Ghost is too valuable to trade for unproven players or for a 3RW or anything. Hagg on the other hand it doesn't really matter much. Maybe trade him for a 2nd rounder or whatever. Hexy probably would have gotten two firsts and Carey Price, but yeah, a 2nd seems fine.

Hagg for a 3RW could be possible too. Byron? Armia? Shaw? It's kind of hard to judge value on Hagg honestly. If what MTL wants most is a bruiser, then he's definitely their guy. If they want a top four D, then Hagg ain't it. 

I have no idea what Fletch will do of course, but I feel like it doesn't make much sense to trade Ghost at this point. The only thing I could see would be some sort of package for a potential gamechanger like Marner, which seems highly implausible. As far as the habs go, they don't really have that kind of player to begin with.

That said, I can't shake the feeling Ghost will be traded for less than he should, and it's going to bite us in posterior.

Exactly. There's been so much smoke around moving Ghost this summer... and virtually nothing about Hagg. So, I don't know. Misdirection, maybe? 

I just don't see what Montreal would be willing to part with that would give us value for Ghost.

They've always been super keen on Morin, though. French Canadian and all. Don't think Morin has much value, but probably moreso to Montreal than any other team in the league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Provorov/Niskanen

Sanheim/Braun

Ghost/Myers

Morin/Hagg

Schlemko

Ek says 

Discuss this Rumor

And worst case scenario and i know they wouldn't want to go that route but in order to maintain leverage in a trade Myers is still waiver exempt so he could be sent down...if they did this i am sure it would only be a paper transaction.

I should they would prefer just to move Hagg to another team in need of defensive help or depth his 1.1mill cap hit should be easy for any team to take on....i prefer to not have to play against Hagg for fear of hi actually hurting a Flyer player so out west would be ideal.

The Flyers are in a tough cap position though, 22 million with 8 roster spots unclaimed. They can somewhat bridge themselves out of it with Provorov, Sanheim, and Konecny, but they set themselves up for a problem down the line that way. And then the same issues next year. So they really can't do anything that brings significant salary back (like Shaw) without sending something significant the other way.

It's one reason why a Ghost deal makes little sense now. The kind of pieces you trade Ghost for are generally not going to fit into the Flyers' cap picture. And those that do, aren't likely to be moved by their respective clubs. Trading Ghost for futures doesn't make sense given the apparent direction the team wants to go.

Moving Hagg for a draft pick gets you some cap space, but that's honestly enough at the moment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I should they would prefer just to move Hagg to another team in need of defensive help or depth his 1.1mill cap hit should be easy for any team to take on....i prefer to not have to play against Hagg for fear of hi actually hurting a Flyer player so out west would be ideal.

I'd prefer to play Hagg six times a season. Send him to Pittsburgh.

7 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Well there is the option to just move Hagg for a defensemen on their entry level deals still and then send them down since the Phantoms still need defensive depth too with only 4 D men under contract.

I like Christian Jaros with the Sens. 6-3 205 right hand shot could be on recall if injuries start to pile up.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/166373/christian-jaros

Sens only have 4.4 mill total committed to their blueline with Ceci still needing to be signed.

He is not afraid to lay the boom on the opposition too.

Just an idea get something back in return....and waiver exempt he just turned 23.

I like the King's Sean Walker too. He was very solid two way defenseman at Bowling Green too.

He could be sent down on his last year of his entry level contract. Not sure if the Kings want to move him.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/160791/sean-walker

Hagg would make a nice addition to their back end too plus help balance them out they have 4 right hand shots on their roster and only one lefty.

Hagg is doable i think. Just an idea.

27 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Sure i guess so what would you take back?? Only guy who would interest me cap wise is Dominik Kahun.

I think he can play RW not sure if they want to move him since they just got him in a trade with the Blackhawks for Maatta.

I love his net front presence...

...not sure if the Pens need Hagg.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure i guess so what would you take back?? Only guy who would interest me cap wise is Dominik Kahun.

I think he can play RW not sure if they want to move him since they just got him in a trade with the Blackhawks for Maatta.

I love his net front presence...

...not sure if the Pens need Hagg.

As I noted above, I'd take a draft pick for Hagg to clear his cap space. And I assure you, the Penguins NEED Hagg. They need someone to replace Maata's on ice value.

21 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

As I noted above, I'd take a draft pick for Hagg to clear his cap space. And I assure you, the Penguins NEED Hagg. They need someone to replace Maata's on ice value.

Well they don't have a 2nd rounder next year and i at least want a 2nd for him so that option isn't there. So i can't see it happening.

On 6/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, brelic said:

@elmatus

That’s why I’m thinking Fletch May have one more big move this summer. Nothing he’s done really moves the needle with this team. It will make us better defensively, more stable on the PK and down the middle. 

Honestly, though, a lot will come down to how AV can get these guys to play. 

And of course, the X factor: goaltending. Can Hart start 50 games *and* provide more than league average goaltending for the team? And who’s his backup?

Oaky a few things:

A) I’m not a big fan of Fletcher or any move he’s made this far.   There haven’t been any terrible miscues (Talbot seems to be a mild one and he overpaid greatly for Hayes), but there’s been a simple, clear if not earth shattering logic at play. 

B) This team didn’t need a lot of needle moving as far as the on-ice talent goes.  Bad vets are aging out more or less as planned.  Lehter’s expired, Weise traded, Mac Waived (did they officially buy him out yet?) . Talent wise, the long and short is that the Vets need to stay good and he kids need to keep progressing into pros. 

C) He did in fact move the needle though. 

The new additions on defense are big improvements in the aggregate over AMac and Gudas.  Gudas was good, bot great and  he simply didn’t play enough minutes to help the likes of Provorox and Hagg.  Hayes is the player they need. Hextall was hoping Patty could grow more quickly, but he didn’t. At the end of the day, because of cap issues and available UFA talent, that particular issue wasn’t going to be resolved until this season off season regardless of who was GM.  In an ideal world they would have had a strong 2C two years ago and Patty would have been a rookie last year or maybe not even until this year.  That wasn’t feasible. 

D) despite the fact that they are in fact significantly more experienced and talented ON the ice, Fletcher. Thought in Vigneault. I’m not in love without Vigneault. But he is WORLDS better than Hakstol.  I have little doubt that he will get stunningly more out of this roster than Hakstol was able to.  Plus the assistants he brought in are all potential head coaches in this league.  Whether egos can stay in check is a different question but those three are going to be worlds better than Hak, Murph, Knoblsch and Lappy.  It’s important to keep that in perspective. 

The moves he’s made on the ice make the 2nd line better which trickles form to the third line being better which means The 4th line can get back to being a great 4th line (which they truly were when they weren’t busy pretending to be 2nd and first liners because Hakstol was just nuts apparently.  The same goes for the D.

if Nisky joins Provo, they’re more we’ll rounded and Provo isn’t responsible for 100% of the defensive and offensive play. 

That means Sanheim can be paired with another veteran righty in Braun. 

And Ghost and Myers can be the third pairing. 

No AMac, No Gudas, Hagg in the bench as fill in. 

There is still a possibility  that Ghost gets moved, but I sincerely hope it’s Hagg.   There’s nothing wrong with Hagg, but Ghost's dynamic and can be a game changer. 

I also still have high hopes for Morin.  That kid has A LOT going for him if he can stay healthy.  And easing out of injury by easing into the pros as the 7D seems like the best way for his body to do that. 

We we didn’t get PK.  Won’t get Panarin. Missed out on Stone... but nonetheless, things are much better... even if it is in a boring and uncreative and responsible way. 

I do not like the Hayes contract.  I think that only happened because Hayes realized the rangers wouldn’t be paying him well if he went there.  

I’m still of the firm belief that the team was a decent coach away from doing quite well last year.  

A GOOD coach, some Wiley vets and increased skill on all lines?  I think people should prepare to be surprised.  

• Like 3

With the current cap situation I am ok going into the season with NAK penciled into the 3rd line RW spot.

He is 23 and is ready if not now then he won't ever be and it is time to move on from him.

I think he can handle it he is very physical despite only being 5-11 is sound defensively and on the 3rd would be a nice start.

And worse case you could slide him to the 4th and bring Hartman up to the 3rd.

Then sometime during the season you can look to sign someone or find a guy in a trade.

Hearing #Flyers still spoke with Cam Talbot’s camp as recently as today. Three or four other teams have reached out regarding Talbot as well.

I read somewhere the other day that wasn't Eklund that the Flames where going to kick the tires on Talbot.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow after watching this video is was erie how much this kid looked like his dad...

...even has his dad's cely down pat...

Trade him, his value will never be higher.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

12 hours ago, elmatus said:

The good news is that if anyone can make a dumber trade than Fletcher, it's Bergevin. 

• Like 3

So they are at 17.1 mill left to play with.

Left to sign

Provorov

Konecny

Laughton

backup goalie

I don't think Bailey and Varone get offered a contract. Bailey maybe could be offered an AHL deal.

Who's next??? Moving Hagg could free up another 1.1 mill.