Expedited Roster Cuts by AV and Command Staff

Howie58

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I guess last night's underperformance must have prompted AV to speed up the culling process.  I like his attitude and think this is a good move:

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-alain-vigneault-roster-cuts-outplayed-konecny-20190920.html

Best,

Howie

Makes me feel good about Vigneault, but kinda crappy about everything else.  

It's still difficult for me to imagine what a team is expected to be able to execute of a new system when they start preseason games  2 or 3 days after camp opens, but I guess Vigneault's been through it before.

I like how unsubtle he is about it though. I think some of this needs to be called out.  

• Like 1

Last line of the article is the best -- “They don’t have a choice,” Vigneault said. “That’s just the way it is.”  Good for him.  Take charge, establish your authority, and do what you need to do to win.  Somebody needs to get a firm grip on these guys and light a fire.  It's been a somewhat lackadaisical preseason so far.

• Like 1

I'll stick with my comments from a few months back--it might be Black Friday before we get a handle on this squad's potential. There are a lot of moving parts--new system, coach, players...etc.   That said, AV wants to get some cohesion in the works sooner than later. That makes a lot of sense.  

• Like 2

It cost people jobs and, ultimately, it's why Vigneault is in place.

After looking at the last couple of days, I feel that this is a different situation than I've been used to in the past. I've been used to coming to camp in the past and my teams have been in the playoffs. Usually I give the veteran players three of the six or seven games that we play. I feel at this time, our veteran players need more games that I originally planned. I'm going from the three that I planned to four and some might even get five out of the seven. 

I'm going on the amount of teaching that we're doing, there's a lot there, there's a lot to be assimilated by the players. I'm going by what I'm seeing about the players' performance, how they're executing, and I just feel at this time we need to make a change and that's what we're doing.

- Vigneault

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-reduce-training-camp-roster-to-36-players/c-309347102

The Philadelphia Flyers have reduced their training camp roster by 18 players:

The Flyers training camp roster is now at 36 players.

The following five players will be placed on waivers Saturday for the purpose of reporting to the club's AHL Affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms:

26 - Tyler Wotherspoon (D)
39 - Nate Prosser (D)
43 - TJ Brennan (D)
51 - Kyle Criscuolo (RW)
60 - Reece Willcox (D)

The following 13 players have been assigned to the club's AHL Affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms:

32 - Felix Sandstrom (G)
46 - Cal O'Reilly (C)
52 - Greg Carey (LW)
64 - Maksim Sushko (RW)
67 - Kirill Ustimenko (G)
70 - Gerry Fitzgerald (C)
71 - David Drake (D)
72 - David Kase (C)
75 - Pascal Laberge (RW)
76 - Isaac Ratcliffe (LW)
78 - Matthew Strome (LW)
80 - Rob Michel (D)
85 - Josh Couturier (D)

Edited by intheslot
adding letters

No surprises here.

Now the Flyers can concentrate on their season and finishing the preseason strong...the remaining prospect now know who they are battling for the two maybe three roster spot available...depends on if Patrick and/or Pitlick start the season on IR.

And the Phantoms and their crew can get over the demotion and concentrate on their AHL push for the playoffs.

I am ecstatic to have a head coach who is taking charge and is going to hold these players accountable.

This is what the great winning clubs have to do. Everyone has a hand in making this a winning team. I miss those days.

I miss the days of not worrying about IF they were going to make the playoffs but worrying about how FAR into the playoffs they would go.

Let's get back to the perennial playoff runs. They have the tools in the shed to do it all that's left is to go do it!!!

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

I wonder if the Jets would take a flier on a free defenseman, Brennan perhaps. 

I have a Hagg they can have, but only if they promise to trade him within our division later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brelic said:

I wonder if the Jets would take a flier on a free defenseman, Brennan perhaps. 

No.

If at all they were to wait to claim a defenseman on waivers i would have to think that it would be a better quality type defenseman than Brennan and that isn't to rip on Brennan.

It's just since Buff hasn't decided yet they still have 6 other D men. I think if they do claim a guy it will be a better option.

The guy they claim has to stay on the NHL roster for 30 days before they can send him down.

I think that is not sure how that works since the rosters aren't set yet, maybe they would claim him and look at him and then waive him again if they don't like him. But Brennan is an AHLer at best.

I think they would take a guy like Prosser first to fill out a roster....just my 2 cents.

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The guy they claim has to stay on the NHL roster for 30 days before they can send him down.

I think that is not sure how that works since the rosters aren't set yet, maybe they would claim him and look at him and then waive him again if they don't like him. But Brennan is an AHLer at best.

I think they would take a guy like Prosser first to fill out a roster....just my 2 cents.

Not quite, it's just if they waive him within 30 days, the Flyers could claim him back and assign him directly to the AHL (assuming they are the winning claim).

One of the issues with the structure of the organization is that the Phantoms and the Flyers don't play the same system. Boston does, and you can see it. Everyone does the same thing, regardless of the level where they spend most of their time. 

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

One of the issues with the structure of the organization is that the Phantoms and the Flyers don't play the same system. Boston does, and you can see it. Everyone does the same thing, regardless of the level where they spend most of their time. 

That's why I have hope that Gordon will get fired in Lehigh Valley and a disciple of AV will take over in Lehigh and get everyone on the same page.

As for the 18 cuts, it was pretty much players that I didn't think would make the big club this year. No shame in that either. Guys like Ratcliffe and Sandstrom are going to benefit from it and a guy like Pascal Laberge has basically missed nearly two full years of development, so there's some benefits to him going to a low pressure environment and finding his game again.

I do like what AV has done though in terms of seeing him grab the reins and he's dictating how things are going to be run. I don't know if this merits it or not, but something tells me Kevin Hayes is going to be his 'Keith Primeau' in terms of a veteran player who will relay the coach's message to the rest of the team. I wonder though if that will bend Giroux's nose out of shape in that the message isn't coming from him.......