Game 23: Flames at Flyers; 11/23/19 @ 7 PM

Howie58

9 overtime games in 2 months is ridiculous...if they could only win more than they lose it would help.

But we're talking about a collective group who have confidence problems...at this point they are in their own heads to much.

I'm not sure how to get them out...i guess winning in regulation would help a lot.

If they could learn to hold a lead they would be one of the top teams in the east...but that is a big if... 

for crying loud, can you stop acting like every team in the league is going to be a cake walk? losing teams are going to bring their a game, they are not going to quit and die, we didnt quit either, we couldnt beat rittich, give him credit, we tryed everything even rebounds, slapshots, he got to them, that happens.

look the caps, they have more offensive skill than us couldnt score more than one goal against canucks and lost, it happens, you are not going 82-0, you move on to the next game and try again, that's all you can do.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

for crying loud, can you stop acting like every team in the league is going to be a cake walk? losing teams are going to bring their a game, they are not going to quit and die, we didnt quit either, we couldnt beat rittich, give him credit, we tryed everything even rebounds, slapshots, he got to them, that happens.

look the caps, they have more offensive skill than us couldnt score more than one goal against canucks and lost, it happens, you are not going 82-0, you move on to the next game and try again, that's all you can do.

Hey bro who are you talking too???

It helps to quote someone or tag them in your post otherwise you look like the old man just shouting in the dark.

Unless that is what you're doing then carry on.

Edited by OccamsRazor
otherwise it looks like an awful passive aggressive arguement

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

JVR now hasn't score in 8 games 1 goal in the last 14 games.

Coots 1 goal in the last 8 games...

At least Coots is producing in other ways and has had a shoulder issue through much of it. 

JVR is simply horrible. He should not have been brought back. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Great move by Hextall right.

I love how he remove all the terrible Homer contracts and replaced him with his own.

So good this guy was i tell ya. The gift that keeps on giving.

Edit: Oh yeah he is also the wizard who gave Jake his huge bloated boat anchor contract too.

Edited by OccamsRazor

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Great move by Hextall right.

I love how he remove all the terrible Homer contracts and replaced him with his own.

So good this guy was i tell ya. The gift that keeps on giving.

Edit: Oh yeah he is also the wizard who gave Jake his huge bloated boat anchor contract too.

Could be worse. You could be like the Wild...😉

1 minute ago, IllaZilla said:

Could be worse. You could be like the Wild...😉

Sure. 

It could always be worse. 

The fact is the Flyers are in a good spot. 

The farm is stocked.

The actual roster is pretty solid and there is a lot of youth.

9 kids 24 or younger on it. 4 of them on the blueline.

So it is coming around just slower than we would like. 

The main issue is they are not closing games out.

They have lost 6 games in november alone in they led 2-0 by the 3rd period alone only to lose in a shootout.

And they are sitting in a wild card spot. So yes it could be much worse.

The problem i have as well as many here have been waiting since 2010 for some good playoff hockey....that is always 2 to 3 years away from being 2 to 3 years away.

I want to start a new winning playoff tradition this year!!!! It's time it's overdue.

They are doing all this with some guys still not being able to find the score sheet....if they ever get those key guys going they could be a top team in the East...but that is a huge IF!

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This is a negative take I can get behind.

He was on the way down the line up in Toronto.  Other than that glimpse we saw of him going beast mode vs Boston in the playoff that one year, he's largely been a 75 foot player.  He has speed but doesn't show it, he has size but doesn't use it.

He's disappointed my expectations of him two times now. 

He doesn't have the 3rd liner mentality and doesn't have the motor to play above that.  He has a lot of physical attributes and skill but has never put it all together for the Flyers.

Too bad, I was hoping his easy 35 goals a year would be a good thing for a team on the rise.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure. 

It could always be worse. 

The fact is the Flyers are in a good spot. 

The farm is stocked.

The actual roster is pretty solid and there is a lot of youth.

9 kids 24 or younger on it. 4 of them on the blueline.

So it is coming around just slower than we would like. 

The main issue is they are not closing games out.

They have lost 6 games in november alone in they led 2-0 by the 3rd period alone only to lose in a shootout.

And they are sitting in a wild card spot. So yes it could be much worse.

The problem i have as well as many here have been waiting since 2010 for some good playoff hockey....that is always 2 to 3 years away from being 2 to 3 years away.

I want to start a new winning playoff tradition this year!!!! It's time it's overdue.

They are doing all this with some guys still not being able to find the score sheet....if they ever get those key guys going they could be a top team in the East...but that is a huge IF!

I wish the Wild were in the same boat as the Flyers:

Good young prospects

Shedding bloated contracts of washed up veterans

Future looking bright...

But they have no good prospects coming through the pipeline. And continue to collect bloated contracts of veteran players. And as far a Playoff hockey? Yes, they've made the Playoffs six out of the last seven years, only to flame out in the first round. Each year they promised to get better and they stumble into a wild card spot and then proceed to implode in the Playoffs. It's like the Bad News Bears: Wait til NEXT year!

That's why I lurk on your board. I'm jealous...

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Haha 1

The good: The Flyers have earned a point in 10 of the last 12 games.

The bad: They lost another point in a shootout loss.

The ugly: The Flames had lost the previous 3 road games 14-0. Blanked 3-0 by Yotes, Knights and Blues.

:DancingGrape:

4 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

That's why I lurk on your board. I'm jealous...

I get it....and yes that makes me feel slightly better about the current state of the Flyers.

C'mon round we have a spot for you on the bandwagon no need to lurk...you'd look handsome in orange and black.

The offers there if you change your mind...

Edited by OccamsRazor
misspell

I was watching the second period and thinking, they need to finish some of these chances...they're playing too well to lose this game for trying to cut it too fine and then not fine enough.

That game had all the makings of a "hockey is weird" loss, I hate knowing it when I'm watching it.

Have to credit the Cgy coach for pulling Riitch after that icing when the Flyers were in-between lines. Calgary has good players that took advantage of the mix of 3rd and 4th liners with Braun and Sanhiem.  Then they got the break so, those guys should give their coach the POG helmet because his stragegy tied that game for them. 

I thought the Flyers had them a few times in the OT too...that one was frustrating but ultimately not infuriating like when they get smoked ala the Florida and Pittsburgh games this year. 

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

That game had all the makings of a "hockey is weird" loss, I hate knowing it when I'm watching it.

Don't you hate that i had some chickens i was deep frying and i had that same feeling in my stomach too so i got up and went out to check on them.....grabbed a cold beer and well i just stay out there and left the game playing on the TV when i came back in it was OT and then i sat and finished watching.

They had quiet a few chances in OT to close it but just couldn't do it....and then the dreaded shootout.

And i just knew this group just can't score and then when Farabee couldn't i knew they were done.

Hey they got a point and i'll take it especially when you know early this ain't your night. Hart played well and gave them a chance.

A power play could have been the difference but zilch....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The ugly: The Flames had lost the previous 3 road games 14-0. Blanked 3-0 by Yotes, Knights and Blues.

So Calgary is bad team ?

I look at that line up and there's about 6 guys I wouldn't mind having on the Flyers, and some other guys that are "wow, where'd they find that guy" good. 

So this isn't like losing to a team in full rebuild or team that's always been terrible.  This was the day a good team fought through their lack of confidence and caught some breaks after being outplayed nearly the whole game.  It happens and it sucks it seems to happen to the Flyers so often, but then I think the Hurricanes fans must be pissed that their team lost to ours because they were going good and we just got smoked the night before. Pro athletes man, they don't stay down for long. 

Personally, I hate when any of my teams play a talented team coming of a bad loss.

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I get it....and yes that makes me feel slightly better about the current state of the Flyers.

C'mon round we have a spot for you on the bandwagon no need to lurk...you'd look handsome in orange and black.

The offers there if you change your mind...

I'll probably continue to lurk for a while. I'm no where as familiar with the Flyers as I am with the Wild...

But I've always like the white name plate on the back of the orange jersey...just looks classic to me...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So Calgary is bad team ?

Yes they are 3-6-1 in their last 10.

Having a decent roster doesn't get you anything in today's hockey. It's paper.

Look no further than a line of JVR, Giroux and Jake on paper it looks unfair...in reality they couldn't fight their way out a wet paper bag.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I look at that line up and there's about 6 guys I wouldn't mind having on the Flyers

Some will say that about the Flyers still that doesn't make you a good team. Results do. This is a results driven league.

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This was the day a good team fought through their lack of confidence and caught some breaks after being outplayed nearly the whole game. 

Sure if it makes you feel better. But they lost to a team they should have beat...at home.

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think the Hurricanes fans must be pissed that their team lost to ours because they were going good and we just got smoked the night before.

Yeah but the Canes weak spot is between the pipes...and a lot of the reason the Flyers have beat them twice in the last couple weeks.

At the end of the day the Flyers are a mediocre team...until they start scoring and put teams away they have a lead on they will be nothing more in my mind. Sorry.

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

you're kind of making my point with this

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

24 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think the Hurricanes fans must be pissed that their team lost to ours because they were going good and we just got smoked the night before.

Yeah but the Canes weak spot is between the pipes...and a lot of the reason the Flyers have beat them twice in the last couple weeks.

Oh that win doesn't really count because Mrazek ?

I'm not out here saying the loss is fake news or some ****.  

In some ways Calgary resembles the Flyers as you pointed out. They have been a bubble playoff team for the last couple of 4 years. 

Some would say they're underachieving also.what's the Flyers record over the last 10 games. 5 & 5 ..?

this game wasn't a gimmie, there aren't any. 

I'm not happy they lost, but I can't go to "Calgary sucks and the Flyers should have..."  with you , or anyone. 

Edited by mojo1917

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

this game wasn't a gimmie, there aren't any

There aren't any of those anymore.

It was a game they should win as i originally point out which you quoted...they got SHUTOUT by Arizona, Vegas and the Blues.

SHUTOUT!

So that was a game the Flyers should win at home.

And they didn't you can spin that however you want they gave up more goals than they score....they gave up 2 more goals than the Flames score in their 3 previous road games.

I'm not sure what else you are looking for here they got beat by a team that was struggling...Flyers said hold my beer...

Edited by OccamsRazor
bottom line they lost at home and were rested to a team worse than them.
  • Haha 1