Alex Ovechkin: 700 Career Goals

Ovechkin2.jpg.0d47e5fb9ee148846347cf95978dec97.jpg Ovechkin1.thumb.jpg.979ff8b3bef3492929bbd9061dbbd6b2.jpg

With Alex Ovechkin's 32 goal of the season against the NY Islanders this afternoon, he ties Mario Lemieux for 10th on the all time NHL goal scoring list.

As you can see, Yzerman and Messier, just ahead at 9th and 8th, will be passed up this season, then all that is left will be 700 career goals, then Mike Gartner (708) and Phil Esposito (717) just beyond that.

I think Ovie makes 700 THIS year....barring injury of course.
Still plenty of games left in the season, he is still a beast on the ice, and see no reason why he can't, at the very minimum, get 10 more goals from now till season's end.

Depending how hot he is at the time, he may even have an outside shot at Gartner this season as well, although I think realistically, he will catch both he and Esposito next season....maybe Marcel Dionne too.

Love him or hate him, there is no denying Alex Ovechkin's ability on the ice. And he is more than just a goal scorer too. He is a physical force, a guy who can carry a team on his back, and definitely has indomitable spirit as evidenced by all those years of backlash and scrutiny because he "never won a Cup".....yet he persevered, did what he always does on the ice (even improved a bit in some areas, specifically in backchecking and overall defensive play), and is now a SC champion and at just 34, looking to add another Cup to his resume to go along with personal accolades like seeking 700 goals on his career.

Where will Alex Ovechkin ultimately end up in the all time scoring list?
Like I said, he easily gets to 8th this year.....may have to wait till next to tackle 7th and 6th.

Marcel Dionne is definitely within reach at #5 at some point.
Beyond Dionne?

You have:
Brett Hull #4 (741)

Jaromir Jagr #3 (766)

Gordie Howe #2 (801)

and of course....
Wayne Gretzky #1 (894)

If he stays healthy, does he REALLY have a shot at Gretzky's top spot?
Heck, just getting to 800 is a herculean feat as only two players have ever done that....but almost 900 as Gretz did? Tall order, but unless Ovechkin falls off a cliff competitively, he has a real shot!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You have:
Brett Hull #4 (741)

Jaromir Jagr #3 (766)

Gordie Howe #2 (801)

and of course....
Wayne Gretzky #1 (894)

It's really up to Ovie. I think he finishes #2 all time behind Gretzky. He could easily play 3-4 more seasons of hockey at around ~30 goals per season if he stays healthy and stays out of the KHL, and that will be enough to pass Howe.  If he gets any serious injury between now and then, I'll reduce my estimate to him finishing somewhere around where Jagr is.  :)  

Question: Has Crosby even got to 500 goals yet?

24 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Question: Has Crosby even got to 500 goals yet?

I'm going to guess if Crosby shot as often as Ovechkin did, his goal totals would be a lot higher. The same can be said about Gretzky. Ovechkin is a great goal scorer,  and he finally figured out to win a cup you have to be more than just a goal suck. But he spend a lot of his career being one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm going to guess if Crosby shot as often as Ovechkin did, his goal totals would be a lot higher. The same can be said about Gretzky. Ovechkin is a great goal scorer,  and he finally figured out to win a cup you have to be more than just a goal suck. But he spend a lot of his career being one.

That Crosby is more of a playmaker while Ovechkin is more a trigger man is a very good point.
Aside from missing lots of games in his career, Crosby also defers goals (like you said, doesn't shoot as much) to his linemates, while collecting assists.....the natural job of a center.

• Like 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I posted a thread in here a year or better ago asking opinions of if Ovie has a shot at Gretzky's all time goals scored record. Lets ussume he finished with 15 more goals this year and he is at 707 at seasons end. That leaves him 187 goals behind the all time record at the age of 34 at seasons end. Assuming 707 goals, he passes Messier and is one behind Gartner at seasons end, here are the career goals of the 7 who would be ahead of him from 35 on:

Gretzky 57

Howe 251 (plus 194 in the WHA)

Jagr 145 (plus 101 and counting as he is still active in Europe)

Hull 187

Dionne 66

Esposito 121

gartner 91

Grand total of the 7 (not counting Howe's WHA days or Jagr in Europe) is 918 for an average of 131 from the same age on in their respective careers. 

So lets say we add 131 goals to the 707, it leaves Ovechkin with 838, good for an easy second place all time but still a remarkable 56 goals behind Gretzky. That is if all that he does is finish from this point on where the AVERAGE of the top seven did from the same pointin his career. Second all time, by a comfortable margin, still behind the great one, again, by a comfortable margin.

However.

I think that the chance of him breaking the record is much, much higher than that, he did most of his heavy lifting in a relative dead puck era, scoring league wide is higher now than at any point of his career and he is in a tussle with Pastrnak for yet another kick at leading the league in goals scored this year. He has led the league in goals scored a remarkable eight times, including the past two and six of the past seven with absolute no sign of slowing down.

essentially at years end, 6 seasons of 30 goals a year has him right there with Wayne, gets him through the age of 40. Lets face it, he is at an age where many if not most start breaking down or lose a mile on their slapshot or a bit of speed and the game quickly swallows them up and sends them to the golf course, but speed has never been his strong suit and the slapper from his office is as potent as ever if someone doesn't think so they need look no further than the back to back hatties.

I think, at this point it is probably 50/50 or slightly better that he breaks the all time record and retires as the games all time leading goal scorer.

An aside, The rocket Richard trophy is given every year to the leagues goal scoring leader, Rocket led the league 5 times, Ovie has led 8 (and counting) and finished top ten 13 times in a league with five times as many teams as Richard's era. Not denigrating Richard but IMHO when/if Ovie hangs them up rethinking the name of the trophy may seriously be in order.

ANOTHER ASIDE I just noticed the blood lines of the top six goal scorers, Wayne had a brother who played a few minutes in the NHL, Howe had two sons who did likewise, Hull had a Dad and an Uncle who played forever, Espo had a HOF goalie for a brother, Dionne had a brother who won a cup with the Habs, Messier (at number eight  had a brother who played in the NHL for a bit. Jagr's Dad played in the Czech league and served as the leagues president for nearly two decades. Of the top 8 only Gartner has no family not connected directly the game. Maybe bloodlines are pretty important, lol.

Edited by yave1964
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@WordsOfWisdom

Entering today, Crosby's production numbers for his career...

454 G, 785 A over 963 GP.

So, no, Crosby is still about two seasons away from 500, taking into account his injury history, maybe three.

Yeah he needs to step it up a bit. He is getting injured way too much. He's becoming more "Peter Forsberg" than "Steve Yzerman" if you know what I mean.  :) 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I guess my point is that history remembers goal scorers more favorably so it's in Crosby's best interest to start shooting the puck more and become more of a goal scorer rather than being content to just pile up assists. Nobody remembers Adam Oates and nobody is going to remember Joe Thornton when he retires. They remember Gretzky because of his goals not his assists. Ditto for Lemieux. The fact that they could also get assists was an added bonus, but being a goal scorer first and foremost was most important. 

8 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Yeah he needs to step it up a bit. He is getting injured way too much. He's becoming more "Peter Forsberg" than "Steve Yzerman" if you know what I mean.  :) 

So you're saying he might just retire, then return to the league as a Flyer, then retire again rather than retiring and become a successful front office executive? :ph34r: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

essentially at years end, 6 seasons of 30 goals a year has him right there with Wayne, gets him through the age of 40. Lets face it, he is at an age where many if not most start breaking down or lose a mile on their slapshot or a bit of speed and the game quickly swallows them up and sends them to the golf course, but speed has never been his strong suit and the slapper from his office is as potent as ever

But you have to factor in the probability that given 6 random seasons of NHL hockey today, 1 of them will be wasted in a lockout, 1 of them will be lost to a torn ACL or concussion, and the last 2 will be spent in the KHL.  

• So he has half a season to work with in the next lockout year (January to April)
  • He has maybe half a season to work with in the torn ACL/concussion year (October to January)
  • Plus two 82-game healthy seasons

;) 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I guess my point is that history remembers goal scorers more favorably so it's in Crosby's best interest to start shooting the puck more and become more of a goal scorer rather than being content to just pile up assists. Nobody remembers Adam Oates and nobody is going to remember Joe Thornton when he retires. They remember Gretzky because of his goals not his assists. Ditto for Lemieux. The fact that they could also get assists was an added bonus, but being a goal scorer first and foremost was most important. 

I remember Crosby being a better player than Ovechkin for most of his career. Also a perennial cup contender. It's taken OV a looooong time to figure how to win. It's not all about him.

I used to say if you wanted goals, take Ovechkin...if you want championships, take Crosby.

People don't remember Gretz because of his assists? BS. It's widely known you could throw his goals away and he'd still be the alltime points leader.

As a Flyer fan Clarke is my alltime favorite and the reason I am one. And it's not because of his goal scoring prowess. 

Ovechkin and Mathews both have 34 goals. You can have them, I'll take McDavid and MacKinnon and kick your ass all over town. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I remember Crosby being a better player than Ovechkin for most of his career. Also a perennial cup contender. It's taken OV a looooong time to figure how to win. It's not all about him.

I think Crosby is the better overall player too.  I'm just saying when we look back at these guys, Ovechkin is going to be considered as possibly the greatest goal scorer of all time (when we adjust for era). Nobody is going to say Crosby is the best playmaker or goal scorer of all time when he retires. Given that Crosby is a center, he should have more points. Almost all the top points players of all time are centers. Ovechkin is playing the game at another level and for the role of top winger, he is doing it better than anyone else in the history of the game. You could make the case today that Ovechkin is the best winger in the history of the NHL.  :) 

People don't remember Gretz because of his assists? BS. It's widely known you could throw his goals away and he'd still be the alltime points leader.

Yes but whenever you watch a Gretzky highlight it's of him scoring. People aren't remembering the assists other than the Team Canada goal with Mario. That's my point. People remember goals and people remember goal-scorers. 

Ovechkin and Mathews both have 34 goals. You can have them, I'll take McDavid and MacKinnon and kick your ass all over town. 

I'd take McDavid over both of them today too, but I don't see your comparison. McDavid can score better than Matthews can, and he's playing most of the time on a crap team in Edmonton. Did I not just watch McDavid blow past Rielly and score the best goal of this season so far a few weeks ago?  Matthews can't do that. He's a good goal scorer, but he's not playing at the level McDavid is. 

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think Crosby is the better overall player too.  I'm just saying when we look back at these guys, Ovechkin is going to be considered as possibly the greatest goal scorer of all time (when we adjust for era). Nobody is going to say Crosby is the best playmaker or goal scorer of all time when he retires. Given that Crosby is a center, he should have more points. Almost all the top points players of all time are centers. Ovechkin is playing the game at another level and for the role of top winger, he is doing it better than anyone else in the history of the game. You could make the case today that Ovechkin is the best winger in the history of the NHL.  :) 

Marcel Dionne scored 731 goals...what's he remembered for? NOT winning a cup.

You could make a case for Ovechkin being the best winger...but Gordie Howe would elbow you in the head and score.

Yes but whenever you watch a Gretzky highlight it's of him scoring. People aren't remembering the assists other than the Team Canada goal with Mario. That's my point. People remember goals and people remember goal-scorers. 

I don't buy it. Brett Hull was a great goal scorer. I remember him at NOT being very good at anything else.

I'd take McDavid over both of them today too, but I don't see your comparison. McDavid can score better than Matthews can, and he's playing most of the time on a crap team in Edmonton. Did I not just watch McDavid blow past Rielly and score the best goal of this season so far a few weeks ago?  Matthews can't do that. He's a good goal scorer, but he's not playing at the level McDavid is. 

McDavid has 10 more goals than Mathews...in 75 more games. Mathews is the better scorer. McDavid is the better player. No Mathews can't play at McDavids level, but he can shoot better.

16 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

But you have to factor in the probability that given 6 random seasons of NHL hockey today, 1 of them will be wasted in a lockout, 1 of them will be lost to a torn ACL or concussion, and the last 2 will be spent in the KHL.  

• So he has half a season to work with in the next lockout year (January to April)
  • He has maybe half a season to work with in the torn ACL/concussion year (October to January)
  • Plus two 82-game healthy seasons

;) 

🤫 Ovechkin already had one a half season lockout in his career (2012-2013) and Gretzky did not have any. I think Alex will play  from 7 to 8 healthy seasons (up to 41-42 y.o.). He is 34 y.o. now. Jarg played even in NHL till the age of 46. I do not think Ovechkin will get to Wayne's goals numbers, but will be getting close to it.  I also think he can pass the Wayne's record in next 7-8 more seasons of placing 50 and more goals per season. So far Ovechkin has 8 seasons of 50 and more goals per season and Gretzky has 9 of those seasons. It is always exciting to see a battle of the humans achievements in sports. 

Agree regarding - people remember more goals , but not much assists.  

Just throwing it out there....

All the "all time great" goal scorers in the NHL have also played in a time when offense was at a premium, and netminders were smaller, with smaller pads....And while it does not diminish in any way when the have done, ovi is doing it in an era where it is much harder to score, netminders are bigger with my pillows for pads...

Me thinks he's got at least 6-8 more years in him with 35/40 plus...

He's got a better shot at passing the great one's mark than most people think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Marcel Dionne scored 731 goals...what's he remembered for? NOT winning a cup.

And he's Frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrenchaaaaaaaaaaaaa!  Uhhhhaahhhhhahhaa!  ;)

Montypythonfrench.jpg.d590570b86d445053b409738200fece0.jpg

You could make a case for Ovechkin being the best winger...but Gordie Howe would elbow you in the head and score.

I keep thinking of Howe as a center for some reason. Okay, I'll retract my previous statement because Ovie has not surpassed Gordie yet. 

I don't buy it. Brett Hull was a great goal scorer. I remember him at NOT being very good at anything else.

My favourite Brett Hull moment was when Canada was playing the US. The US had a power play and Canadian turncoat Brett Hull was getting feed after feed and doing one-timer shots over and over and missing the net lol.  I believe that was the 2002 Olympics where Canada won gold.  :)   

McDavid has 10 more goals than Mathews...in 75 more games. Mathews is the better scorer. McDavid is the better player. No Mathews can't play at McDavids level, but he can shoot better.

I think you might be in for a surprise. I'm not sure we've seen McDavid's "ceiling" yet. He may be able to score 50-60 goals and still put up the same assist figures that he's doing.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/washington-capitals-alex-ovechkin-700th-nhl-goal/c-314805220?tid=314679802

He has done it.

Alex Ovechkin, albeit in a loss to the lowly NJ Devils, has scored his 700th career goal...he sits in 8th place all time in that department, and still has a shot at Mike Gartner who sits in 7th with 708.

Very doable for Ovie to surpass Gartner this season, then, barring health issues, can take a shot at Esposito and Dionne next season.
Seems like he  has been around forever, but he just turned 34 this past September, keeps himself in great physical condition, still seems to have the drive to play hard and win, so he should have plenty in the tank for the foreseeable future.

Love him or hate him, there is no denying his ability on the ice and what is looking more and more, like his placement among the game's best scorers for all time.

I ask again though............Can he catch Wayne Gretzky???
We will see....

Congrats to Alex Ovechkin and Caps fans.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

A shame he had to get to 800 in a loss, but congrats to the Great 8, Alexander Ovechkin. As long as he has the kind of talent around him that furthers his chances toward winning a Cup, I could very easily see him playing into his 40s, even with that physical style he enjoys playing. He is in good shape, and has been healthy, which of course takes luck, but the fact remains he has been healthy.

Edited by FD19372

• 1 year later...

Flyers help Ovenchicken reach some goals tonight sadly...

Alex Ovechkin scores 10th goal this season and ...

* 716th career goal, 1 behind Phil Esposito for 6th in NHL

* 1,298 points, 2 from becoming 35th ever with 1,300 points

* 263rd PPG, 2 behind Brett Hull for 2nd all-time

* 5,638th shot, passing Jaromir Jagr for 2nd all-time

On 3/14/2021 at 8:57 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Ovenchicken

Well, yes, people *love* oven 🐔 especially when sitting down to watch their Caps.  Tender, flaky, and healthier than rubbery broiled 🐔 or greasy fried 🐔.  And so tasty on the power play!

If only we could watch Oven🐔 play the Fryers, I mean Flyers every night - mmm mmm good!   😋