You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

AJgoal

David Ayres becomes first emergency backup goalie to record a win in NHL history.

Toronto Marlies zamboni driver comes in for Carolina after both Reimer and Mrazek leave the game. Carolina is up 3-1 when Mrazek is run over by Clifford causing him to exit the game, and score on the ensuing PP to go 4-1. Ayres gives up goals on his first two, then stops the few more shots Carolina allows to get through to him for a 6-3 win in Toronto. What a bizarre game with a great story.

30 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Leafs on the wrong side of history as usual.   🔥😡🔥

This situation actually may have fit quite well in your "This is getting embarrassing" thread, no? :ph34r:

I remember some years ago the Minnesota Wild were forced to dress a retired minor league goalie (who ran some sort of equipment shop) due to an 'emergency'....thank goodness they didn't have to play him.....if they had been playing the LEAFS that day, perhaps.......but otherwise.... :shifty:

Sorry, Words...I hadda do it, poking fun at Toronto is too good to pass up......... I still like you personally though..

... :D 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This situation actually may have fit quite well in your "This is getting embarrassing" thread, no? :ph34r:

That thread was getting long, so I decided to make a dedicated one for this.  :( 

I remember some years ago the Minnesota Wild were forced to dress a retired minor league goalie (who ran some sort of equipment shop) due to an 'emergency'....thank goodness they didn't have to play him.....if they had been playing the LEAFS that day, perhaps.......but otherwise.... :shifty:

😭

Sorry, Words...I hadda do it, poking fun at Toronto is too good to pass up......... I still like you personally though..

... :D 

Welcome back!!!  🤸‍♂️ 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would have been the perfect story if events unfolded exactly as they did, but with Ayres playing in goal for the Leafs.  

That's a wonderful story! The people involved will tell it here and there for the rest of their lives 😂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

That's a wonderful story! The people involved will tell it here and there for the rest of their lives 😂

This is the good stuff for sure. What a special day for Ayers and the ‘Canes that played with him.

Even a Toronto fan has to love that story, despite the loss.

If you don’t love a story like that, you are officially not a hockey fan.

• Like 3

That's a great story. Something he'll be able to top ALL his beer league buddies glorious moments with down at the pub for life. Just beautiful. 

It's especially great because Carolina is scrabbling for a playoff spot, so they really needed this win. That win officially pushed them back up into the 2nd wildcard. So it's not like they could have lost and said, "It's ok, we have a 2-3 game lead on being out of the playoffs."

EDIT: Also, appears that he is the oldest player ever to get his first win in the league. Which makes sense, but still cool.

Edited by AJgoal
  • Like 1

Not the first (remember

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
) but still impressive.

15 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

Not the first (remember

Hidden Content

) but still impressive.

He didn't get the win. He filled in after the Hawks already had the lead.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He didn't get the win. He filled in after the Hawks already had the lead.

Carolina already had the lead on Toronto 3-1 or 4-1 when Ayres came in. I think the "W" goes to whichever goalie played the most minutes in the game. Ayres played nearly half the game.  

11 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Carolina already had the lead on Toronto 3-1 or 4-1 when Ayres came in. I think the "W" goes to whichever goalie played the most minutes in the game. Ayres played nearly half the game.  

Ya, the other guy just mopped up the last ten minutes or so. Still great for him...he just didn't get the W. 

• Like 1

Side note:  Now I'm seeing the 1980 "Miracle on ice" popping up in my YouTube recommended section......

🤯

39 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Side note:  Now I'm seeing the 1980 "Miracle on ice" popping up in my YouTube recommended section......

🤯

42 year old Zamboni driver who works for the Leafs, who''s had a kidney transplant and hasn't played in 5 years beats them. LOL. If he was American they'd make a movie about him

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

42 year old Zamboni driver who works for the Leafs, who''s had a kidney transplant and hasn't played in 5 years beats them. LOL. If he was American they'd make a movie about him

Yep, and you can be darn sure David Ayres would be played by Tom Hanks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The Leafs could be played by the children in the "Tim-Bits" hockey league. 

12 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Leafs could be played by the children in the "Tim-Bits" hockey league. 

With a voice-over by Sally Struthers.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

"Save David Save!"

"My mama says they were magic skates/pads/ and gloves". They could take me anywhere." – David Ayres

• Uggh... 1

6 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

He got the win because the game-winning goal was scored while he was the goalie of record. It's the only reason he allowed those first two shots to go in. If Carolina won 6-1 or 6-2, Mrazek would have gotten the W.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He got the win because the game-winning goal was scored while he was the goalie of record. It's the only reason he allowed those first two shots to go in. If Carolina won 6-1 or 6-2, Mrazek would have gotten the W.

Oh. My bad. lol  :) 

7 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

🤯

It was the 40th anniversary yesterday. Perfect time for "Miracle II"

• Like 1

He said advice from Carolina's Erik Haula helped him.

"He said to me, 'Just have fun. We don't care if you let 10 goals in,' " Ayres said. "That settled me right down, and it was great."

Hidden Content

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He said advice from Carolina's Erik Haula helped him.

"He said to me, 'Just have fun. We don't care if you let 10 goals in,' " Ayres said. "That settled me right down, and it was great."

Hidden Content

Really???

Well, crap...that kind of pep talk never helped Lehtonen or Niemi back in Dallas a few years ago... :bigteeth:
They let in 10 goals regularly and never settled down... 

• Haha 2