Game 70: Flyers at Lightning; 3/12/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

While we have been playing better than TB of late, the home team is favored:

https://www.statsalt.com/games/nhl/3-12-2020/philadelphia-flyers-vs-tampa-bay-lightning-prediction-3947/

We are winless against TB over the last seven; 2-12 at Amalie over the last 14.  Mark Friedman and Connor Bunnaman are called up.  The latter is due to Thompson's injury.  I am not sure if Friedman plays or is a Ghost backup.  I am wondering if this will be played in light of the NBA's suspension. It sounds like Bettman is considering a shutdown.

https://www.rotoworld.com/hockey/nhl/player/27733/gary-bettman

Edited by Howie58

If this game happens, I'm nervous of it.  They are definitely coming down from the high.   They played average the last two games, stealing the Sabres game.   Any type of big loss (>=3 goals) and I can hear the thuds of people jumping off the bandwagon already.

This is probably the last night of the season ... unless they shut it down today.

I can't imagine the NBA shutting down and the NHL *not* following suit when they share arenas, facilities, dressing rooms.

• Like 1

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
49 Joel Farabee - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
21 Scott Laughton - 38 Derek Grant - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -8 Robert Hägg
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Justin Braun

37 Brian Elliott
[79 Carter Hart]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Provorov.
Power Play 2: Grant, Hayes, Aube-Kubel, Gostisbehere, Niskanen.

Scratches: 5 Phil Myers (fractured right kneecap, March 7), 25 James van Riemsdyk (broken right index finger, out 4-to-6 weeks from March 4), 44 Nate Thompson (knee sprain, March 10), 59 Mark Friedman (healthy).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

LIGHTNING

18 Ondrej Palat - 21 Brayden Point - 20 Blake Coleman
17 Alex Killorn - 71 Anthony Cirelli - 86 Nikita Kucherov
23 Carter Verhaeghe - 9 Tyler Johnson - 37 Yanni Gourde
14 Pat Maroon - 13 Cedric Paquette - 19 Barclay Goodrow

27 Ryan McDonagh - 81 Erik Cernak
98 Mikhail Sergachev - 22 Kevin Shattenkirk
55 Braydon Coburn - 24 Zach Bogosian

88 Andrei Vasilevskiy
[35 Curtis McElhinney]

Power Play 1: Killorn, Point, Johnson, Kucherov, Sergachev
Power Play 2: Palat, Cirelli, Maroon, Gourde, Shattenkirk

Scratches: 2 Luke Schenn (healthy), 67 Mitchell Stephens (healthy), 77 Victor Hedman (day-to-day, lower body, March 6), 91 Steven Stamkos (core muscle surgery, March 2).

IR: 44 Jan Rutta (lower body, Feb. 3).

Greetings:

I have a feeling we will be shut down sooner than later.  My university has gone online.  Thesis and dissertation defenses will only have the major professor and graduate--no other committee members, family members, or students/friends.  Interestingly, employees are still reporting for duty...strange given how abandoned it has become.

Social distancing buys time.  We don't want potential overload of the health system.  Italy is apparently using a military-style triage on care...that is pretty scary.  

The only thing I could see on the NHL Front....if things improve my late April, perhaps they consider a playoff.  Who knows?

• Like 1

Caps and Devils cancelled their practices this morning. 

NHL will have announcement at 1pm EDT. I suspect it will be shutting down the season until further notice. 

We'll always have the 9-game winning streak. 

• Thanks 1

@brelic

I posted this in the other thread ....

"IF" ...the NHL were to follow the NBA route ...

One creative/interesting thought I had was that the NHL may consider a method to get all teams to 71 or 72gp.
So they may immediately suspend games for teams at the max mark (currently 71gp... or 72) and allow closed-door games between other teams to get there. This at least puts all teams at a fair-GP count.

Worst-comes-to-worst and the NHL can't get the last 11 or 12 regular season GP in... they head straight to (closed-venue) playoffs, on schedule (Apr7th-on) based on top 8 of each conference .....

Also ...think about all the players nursing injuries this would give teams time to get healthy and could impact the competitive balance(ebbs and flows). I don't say this as a negative i just find it interesting to ponder.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

@brelic

One creative/interesting thought I had was that the NHL may consider a method to get all teams to 71 or 72gp.
So they may immediately suspend games for teams at the max mark (currently 71gp... or 72) and allow closed-door games between other teams to get there. This at least puts all teams at a fair-GP count.

Worst-comes-to-worst and the NHL can't get the last 11 or 12 regular season GP in... they head straight to (closed-venue) playoffs, on schedule (Apr7th-on) based on top 8 of each conference .....

Also ...think about all the players nursing injuries this would give teams time to get healthy and could impact the competitive balance(ebbs and flows). I don't say this as a negative i just find it interesting to ponder.

It would be interesting for sure.

I'm just not convinced this is going to magically get better in 3 weeks. I would guess based on what I've seen that it will get much worse in terms of infection rate, before it gets better. 

There are too many stupid and cocky people like that basketball player who was touching all the mics as a display of, what, primitive male behaviour? Well guess who was diagnosed with COVID-19 two days later? Dumbass.

Hockey and other sports are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Let's see how this all shakes out!

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm just not convinced this is going to magically get better in 3 weeks. I would guess based on what I've seen that it will get much worse in terms of infection rate, before it gets better. 

There are too many stupid and cocky people like that basketball player who was touching all the mics as a display of, what, primitive male behaviour? Well guess who was diagnosed with COVID-19 two days later? Dumbass.

Hockey and other sports are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Let's see how this all shakes out!

Totally agree on all points ...... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

What is with this comment i am ignorant of the situation of which you speak can you shed some light on this to edjamacate me?

13 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@brelic

whats the point? Why risk public health just to have all teams play same amount  of games? it means nothing

if youre going to do it, just do it

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What is with this comment i am ignorant of the situation of which you speak can you shed some light on this to edjamacate me?

He did this two days ago, was diagnosed last night.

8 minutes ago, CoachX said:

whats the point? Why risk public health just to have all teams play same amount  of games? it means nothing

if youre going to do it, just do it

Was just thinking outside the box.....nothing else.  totally understand your POV.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

He did this two days ago, was diagnosed last night.

Wow so he was making light of this issue and then comes down with this...wow...how crazy dumb is that.

It seems this and the news of all this is everywhere. And we know the media must be loving and all the panic it is causing.

How it will be solved i can't even say. One thing is for sure it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow so he was making light of this issue and then comes down with this...wow...how crazy dumb is that.

It seems this and the news of all this is everywhere. And we know the media must be loving and all the panic it is causing.

How it will be solved i can't even say. One thing is for sure it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

People's reactions are so bizarre.

My sister has a trip planned overseas for the entire family (incl. 4 young kids) and said when they get back, they'll keep the kids at home for 14 days (mandated from our Dept. of Education).

I said "What about you?"

"Oh, I'll go to work."

"Um, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?"

"No, it's fine. I should be able to handle it."

"Mmm-hmm. And what about your patients? What about mom? Dad? They're in their 70s - prime demographic for mortality."

And she has a PhD! Love my sister, but she's just as stubborn as I am sometimes lol. 

• Haha 1

@brelic

I wonder if this most recent Chinese new year celebration help spread this thing any further??

In case you didn't know this is when many people all over the world flock to China and Hong Kong to celebrate this (it's consider the end of winter and a spring festival) and not take it all serious and then they all venture back home and spread it like wildfire we are seeing now.

I think it is around January 25 and starts on the new moon.

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I see Tom Hanks and his wife and have now been diagnosed....wow...it seems the ones with the weak immune system are the ones being hit hard.

must have been that chinese new year celebration....

🤔

1 hour ago, brelic said:

You are on point today.    We are 5 weeks behind China and 2-3 weeks behind Italy.   North America will become something between China and Italy.   These moves will hopefully flatten that curve enough not to severely overburden hospitals.   It would be horrible for them to have to choose which elderly/sick member of the heard has to die because their aren't enough services to go around.

• Like 3

On 3/12/2020 at 10:31 AM, OccamsRazor said:

n case you didn't know this is when many people all over the world flock to China and Hong Kong to celebrate this (it's consider the end of winter and a spring festival)

This is the opposite of how I understood spring fesitival.

which is, folks work in the cities, then go back home to celebrate lunar new year and spring festival , then come back to the city to work.

Now this was based upon my time there 14 years ago. So perhaps the burgeoning middle class has made the cities you mentioned "hot spots" for partying or whatever.

In either case there is a mass movement of people.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

This is the opposite of how I understood spring fesitival.

which is, folks work in the cities, then go back home to celebrate lunar new year and spring festival , then come back to the city to work.

Now this was based upon my time there 14 years ago. So perhaps the burgeoning middle class has made the cities you mentioned "hot spots" for partying or whatever.

In either case there is a mass movement of people.

Sure but I am talking about folks who don't live there coming in from other countries to experience it and then taking it back home to wherever they came from.

It is possible like any other event folks flock too in masses.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1