Please don't let Hart get a Porsche

trevluk

Too soon? Seriously though, this kid is the real deal and should be our franchise goaltender for the foreseeable future so let's hope he takes care of himself and doesn't do anything stupid to jeopardize his  career.

8 minutes ago, trevluk said:

Too soon? Seriously though, this kid is the real deal and should be our franchise goaltender for the foreseeable future so let's hope he takes care of himself and doesn't do anything stupid to jeopardize his  career.

I would just hire a limo driver for the kid.

I don't remember Lindbergh's personality off-ice, if the whole driving a Porsche into a church was wholly unexpected or not.  I do remember being shocked as  Hell, stunned like the rest of the Philly faithful.

3 hours ago, trevluk said:

I totally agree, Flyers management better make sure that he never drives a Porsche! It's nice to see the Flyers producing a homegrown goalie and has the potential to be like Lindbergh.

Edited by Lindbergh31

18 hours ago, TedZep said:

I don't remember Lindbergh's personality off-ice, if the whole driving a Porsche into a church was wholly unexpected or not.  I do remember being shocked as  Hell, stunned like the rest of the Philly faithful.

The sad thing about Pelle is that he was not a big drinker at all.  He did love fast cars but he almost never drank.  Unfortunately the team was in a party mood as  they had just completed a brutal stretch of games and  they won 10 in a row.  Keenan had given them the night off.  Pelle who didn't normally drink decided to join in the festivities (some reports noted that because he didnt usually drink that he didnt know how to handle the alcohol).  First they went to Bennigans and had a bunch of drinks there, then they went to the Flyers practice facility which at the time had after hours clubs there.  They partied till 4:30 AM or so and then Pelle wanted to go get breakfast.  He was indeed legally intoxicated, was driving way too fast, and failed to negotiate a curve and crashed into the side of a school.  The part that got him was the stairwell that he drove into.  If it was just a wall he would have sidewiped and lived to tell about it.  But what killed him was the car getting wedged in the stairwell.

It is a extremely sad story and just like an air crash there were many factors that all a happened in a chain of events that led to it.  The fast cars were his personality.  The drinking was not.

In the thumbnail of  this video you can see the 5 step staircase that he hit and which led to his death.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

some reports noted that because he didnt usually drink that he didnt know how to handle the alcohol

I am willing to testify under oath, based on my own personal longitudinal study proving the opposite, that this is almost certainly the case. 

I can't help but see Hart in the same way as I did Pelle.  Really, since Parent, Pelle & Hextall were the only legit goaltenders who were home grown corner pieces.  Boucher had his moments, but was never that rock back there.  Bobrovsky would've been the next one, but he unfortunately existed during the time when the Flyers repeatedly traded youth away for veterans in the hope of a single playoff run. 

So yeah, all of these years has created a goaltender cynic in me, which is why I'm having a hard time letting myself believe we have our goaltender for the next decade.  When you think he's also surrounded by a stud farm of young d-men, it almost seems too good to be true.

And to think what we're seeing right now is because of ole #27

EDIT: Just looked at some goaltending stats.  When you scan down the GP column, it's staggering that for a franchise with the history of the Flyers it's Hextall at 489 games played, Parent at 486... and the next highest is Steve Mason at 231... Peeters 179, Boucher 174.

It's no wonder there hasn't been a Cup since the BSB era

Edited by eleven24
  • Good Post 1

the Porche 911 turbo was nicknamed the "widow maker" in the 80's, it was too fast and too finicky for non-race drivers to push to it's limits.  I saw this first hand.

When I was starting my career, while driving home from work I saw a suzuki gsr 1100 and Porche 911 racing on the highway, coming out of a pretty serious 90° corner the dude in the Porche punched the throttle and it spun out , it was going I don't know maybe 80 mph into the curve it had enough horsepower and torque at 80ish to break free . I was going about 65 and this was happening in front of me...

It was scary, the guy wound up in the bramble of New Cumberland I never knew if he was hurt, I was trying to not hit him or any of the cars that were braking to avoid the mess.  

this was 6-8 years after Pelle had died. 

that car was a death trap. 

I remember when the engineers got the traction control in that car, the automotive press breathed this huge sigh of relief.  They complained about it of course but they also quit fearing for their lives behind the wheel also. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 8/18/2020 at 5:56 PM, trevluk said:

Bump! Hmmmm some clairvoyance from trevluk? 

BTW while we are on the topic of Pelle and the Porche.  My kid had a game at the Flyers practice facility in Vorhees NJ, so while they were dressing and warming up I made a pilgrimage to the site of Pelle’s demise.

The Sommerdale school is long closed down and boarded up and looks like a haunted house.  That horrible wall is still there along with the steps he crashed into.  I sat there at the impact zone (that corner in the attached photo) and while I didn’t cry I did get very emotional and thought about Pelle the rest of the weekend.  It brought back a flood of memories and that gnawing feeling of “what if”? / “if only”!  I mean if he had hit the wall he would have sideswiped it and bounced off and had some injuries and paid a hefty fine for DUI.  But he had to ram into that opening where the stairway is. 

I wasn’t prepared for how much visiting would grip me and affect me to be honest.  It was surreal.

IMG_5815.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

BTW while we are on the topic of Pelle and the Porche.  My kid had a game at the Flyers practice facility in Vorhees NJ, so while they were dressing and warming up I made a pilgrimage to the site of Pelle’s demise.

The Sommerdale school is long closed down and boarded up and looks like a haunted house.  That horrible wall is still there along with the steps he crashed into.  I sat there at the impact zone (that corner in the attached photo) and while I didn’t cry I did get very emotional and thought about Pelle the rest of the weekend.  It brought back a flood of memories and that gnawing feeling of “what if”? / “if only”!  I mean if he had hit the wall he would have sideswiped it and bounced off and had some injuries and paid a hefty fine for DUI.  But he had to ram into that opening where the stairway is. 

I wasn’t prepared for how much visiting would grip me and affect me to be honest.  It was surreal.

IMG_5815.jpeg

I get what you're saying.  I too pass by there on occasion and always remember him and that tragic night.  So incredibly sad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 5:56 PM, trevluk said:

Do they sell Porsches in Russia? Asking for a friend....

:joe:

Not sure how Flyers wouldn't have a say so in this????

https://matchtv.ru/hockey/matchtvnews_NI2033916_Ak_Bars_khochet_podpisat_kanadskogo_vratara_Filadelfii_Kharta

The Kazan hockey club Ak Bars is ready to make an offer to Canadian goalkeeper Carter Hart to replace Timur Bilyalov .

Earlier, Match TV reported that Ak Bars will not make an offer to Bilyalov, who will most likely move to Avangard Omsk.

The Kazan club has set its sights on the 25-year-old Hart, who was selected by Philadelphia in the second round of the draft, 48th overall, in 2016. In February, the goaltender's career in the NHL was put on pause due to a trial when five Canadian youth hockey players were accused of sexual assault. 

The players in question are: Hart, forwards Dillon Dube (Calgary) and Alex Formenton (Ambri-Piotta, Switzerland), as well as forward Michael MacLeod and defenseman Cal Foote (both New Jersey).

— All five will most likely continue their careers in Russia, because they won’t even be accepted into European leagues. Ak Bars is the most active contender, they need Hart. Kazan would take the rest, but the limit of three foreign players interferes. 

The main point now is that hockey players must obtain judicial permission that they can leave North America. In this case, Hart will be able to sign a contract with Ak Bars, which needs a top goalkeeper. In terms of potential, this goalkeeper has a talent on the level of Ilya Sorokin,” a source close to the situation told Match TV.

All four players' contracts with their NHL clubs expire on July 1.

Hart won World Junior Championship gold (2018) and World Championship silver (2019), and played 227 NHL games for Philadelphia with a 90.6% save percentage.