Taylor Hall signs one year deal with Sabres!!

yave1964

545200000_HALLSABERS.jpg.1c087d95a1ee37709c8f587e4bb644bc.jpg

@Hockey Junkie must have driven off the road when he heard this one.

Taylor Hall has signed a one year deal with the Sabres for 8 million dollars. 

Buffalo is banking on Hall/Eichel forming a lasting chemistry and Hall choosing to stick around. Kudos to both Hall betting on himself and on the Sabres for risking a one year deal.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@Hockey Junkie must have driven off the road when he heard this one.

Taylor Hall has signed a one year deal with the Sabres for 8 million dollars. 

Buffalo is banking on Hall/Eichel forming a lasting chemistry and Hall choosing to stick around. Kudos to both Hall betting on himself and on the Sabres for risking a one year deal.

They could just be going for the #1OA too.

• Like 1

Coyotes way overpaid just to let him walk, that will set the team back for years. 

One thing with Hall, many over the years have been categoric that he is not a winning hockey player. Performing in Edmonton, New Jersey, Arizona, now Buffalo where if the team loses there is certainly fan frustration but it is more or less expected. Truthfully, this doesnt surprise me that he chose a team like Buffalo instead of a team that is a player or two short of contention. If he had went to say, Columbus, Bruins, Flames or Canucks the expectations would have been higher. Going to Buffalo, if they sneak into the playoffs or miss by a few points it wont matter, who he is wont change in most peoples eyes. If he had landed with one of the others on a one year deal and they underperformed it would have hurt his future value.

Well THIS certainly makes the Sabres more dangerous on offense.....and teams will definitely need to account for the line of Skinner-Eichel-Hall....or replace Skinner with a Reinhart or Okposo if Skinner can't switch sides (or Hall can't).

But while all that is well and good, the team will still need secondary scoring.
Where will that come from?

Strides in the other lines need to be made, and the defense will need to chip in otherwise, as good as Hall will look with Eichel and/or Skinner/Reinhart, they will be just another one line team that still won't get it done.

The expectations?
I think @yave1964 is right about that, however, I am not so sure there still isn't much pressure to perform.
I mean, Jack Eichel is considered one of the NHL's best players.
If Hall can't produce consistently with Eichel, then THAT could hurt his future value.

I think Taylor Hall likes what he sees in Buffalo, what they are building towards, and the one year deal is to see if he would like to stick around and will decided that based on what the team does to supplement the other areas to turn them into a real contender.
If the Sabres make moves that show they are serious about being players for years to come, he will stick...otherwise, he goes elsewhere.
But meanwhile, yea, the team gets a chance to "woo" him.....kinda like they did with Skinner.

At any rate, this is an exciting signing for the Sabres.
Makes their games 'must see' TV now, I think.

WTG Buffalo!

• Like 1

Can you believe this!!!!  I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this.  This is huge. Its just not like our small market team to do this.  I am happy to see a guy like him in this world that is willing to come here rather than hold out to play for a NY Yankees team in the NHL if you know what I mean.  This puts us back on the offensive map given our blue line but of course WE STILL NEED A GOALIE.  But its a  huge move for Adams

Hockey Junkie

• Buffalo Rick
  • Hockey Junkie
  • 4,049 posts
  • Favorite Team:
    Sabres
  • 2nd Favorite:
    Blues

Can you believe this!!!!  I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this.  This is huge. Its just not like our small market team to do this.  I am happy to see a guy like him in this world that is willing to come here rather than hold out to play for a NY Yankees team in the NHL if you know what I mean.  This puts us back on the offensive map given our blue line but of course WE STILL NEED A GOALIE.  But its a  huge move for Adams

•  
  • Like 1

@yave1964
I kept your title (because you started the thread first), but moved it to the Buffalo section due to HJ starting the same thread, but he is understandably excited about this signing, so merged both threads here.

It was bugging me we had two of the exactly named threads and I kept trying to find posts in one, but they were in the other.

At any rate, no harm, no foul here.

As I said, exciting signing for the Sabres...Buffalo fans have something to look forward to, especially if they can round out the rest of their team.

@Hockey Junkie , congrats on your team making this bold move....really hope it works and helps propel this team to what is slowly shaping up to be an awesome Atlantic division based on what the teams in it are doing!

• Like 1

Thanks TFG and congratulations on your team.  It’s unfortunate it had to be with no fans like all other events. I did not see other members post.  And I looked to see if someone had posted it but did not see it.  

if we get a goalie, like the Hockey Guy said, we can put two scoring lines out with Eichel and Hall and Skinner and Oloffson.  He thinks Skinner will bounce back and so do I.  Blue line has talent.  We just got Eakin and signed two other veteran forwards including Staal.  It’s now up to Adams to get the goalie position fixed.  I’m ok with Ullmark though.

59 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Thanks TFG and congratulations on your team.  It’s unfortunate it had to be with no fans like all other events. I did not see other members post.  And I looked to see if someone had posted it but did not see it.  

if we get a goalie, like the Hockey Guy said, we can put two scoring lines out with Eichel and Hall and Skinner and Oloffson.  He thinks Skinner will bounce back and so do I.  Blue line has talent.  We just got Eakin and signed two other veteran forwards including Staal.  It’s now up to Adams to get the goalie position fixed.  I’m ok with Ullmark though.

Those may turn out to be some sneaky good moves by Buffalo, getting Eric Staal from the Wild and signing Eakin away from the Jets, who got him from Vegas.

Buffalo will need guys like him in the bottom six who can take care of the puck without turning it over and chip in with some scoring.
Two scoring lines are a must because we've already seen how one line teams fare.

Adding Hall and Staal may make that possible.
And I am sure Buffalo management would like to see Oloffsson and Reinhart continue their steady rising.

Oh, I forgot about Sam Reinhardt.  I would love to see him with Eichel and Hall!  What a line that could be?  ESPN has gone on record that the Sabres are the big FA winners, and the Blackhawks the losers for reasons I do not know.  If we could get Kane to come play here in his hometown?  Not likely I know.  We need to get the goalie position fixed and then we can make playoffs.  They are surprised because Vegas and Boston wanted Hall.  I hate seeing Pietrangelo leave Blues.  Sucks.  They just paid big money for that guy from Bruins?  So Alex must have wanted to leave?

3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I hate seeing Pietrangelo leave Blues.  Sucks.  They just paid big money for that guy from Bruins?  So Alex must have wanted to leave?

Pietrangelo asked an insane amount of money ($9.5M AAV for a long-term deal). I know he's one of the best D-man in the league and is probably worth that but in the context of the pandemic and the flat cap, it was unreasonable. So the Blues just made a business decision by being proactive and take Krug at a lower price when it was still time to do so.

I'm not worried about him, he got the big paycheck he wanted in Vegas, but he shouldn't whine on how he's disappointed with all this and how things turned. He wanted to play that game and as a UFA which is perfectly legitimate and understandable, but it's a game that can be played on both sides...

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the YouTube feed on the live signing process of Taylor Hall.  Impressive!  Adams, Pegula’s, Kim included all interviewed Taylor on conference call.  Coach Krueger was there toro and was a major reason he signed.  It appears the Sabres mean business.  They obviously had no interest in Lundquist though

13 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Watched the YouTube feed on the live signing process of Taylor Hall.  Impressive!  Adams, Pegula’s, Kim included all interviewed Taylor on conference call.  Coach Krueger was there toro and was a major reason he signed.  It appears the Sabres mean business.  They obviously had no interest in Lundquist though

Ralph Krueger isn't the world's leading X's and O's guy, but is a player's coach. I wasn't even a little bit surprised to hear that Taylor Hall wanted a chance to play for him again.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 10:57 AM, JR Ewing said:

Ralph Krueger isn't the world's leading X's and O's guy, but is a player's coach. I wasn't even a little bit surprised to hear that Taylor Hall wanted a chance to play for him again.

I believe if we get average goaltending we  get in.  Florida made it last year and we are better than them right now.  Just one of several we could bounce and it looks like Toronto is now on that list

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I believe if we get average goaltending we  get in.  Florida made it last year and we are better than them right now.  Just one of several we could bounce and it looks like Toronto is now on that list

I think the Sabres than plenty of people think. Sub-par goaltending skewered their chances last year, and if that can turn around, it will REALLY help.

54 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I think the Sabres than plenty of people think. Sub-par goaltending skewered their chances last year, and if that can turn around, it will REALLY help.

Yes.  But we have added a ton of talent.  I have always felt we were good enough on the blue line.  Now we must settle the goalie ussue

• 2 weeks later...