It's Abundantly Clear that Canada Needs an 8th Team

WordsOfWisdom

Greetings:

1)  Toronto will put the kibosh to another Ontario team, even if it is viable.

2) Hamilton might hurt Buffalo.

3)  I suspect league-wide, another Ontario team won't help much on revenue

4) The weakness of the Canadian dollar hurts because salaries are paid in greenbacks.  Along with conference parity in teams, it was a main reason for Quebec not getting a team while LV did.  

I think it will be a long time before any franchise is added. KC and Quebec have beautiful facilities, but I wonder if the league would try to reconstitute already failed cities.  

Maybe Monterey, Mexico and Berlin....let's go international!!!! (Semi-Kidding).

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 11:08 PM, extra skater said:

Halifax Highlanders just got real.
goon2contest-585x390.jpg

lol.

Unless its $12 student night on weekends, we don't even fill the mooseheads arena, memorial cup aside. And tickets regularly go for $19 adult, $16 Senior and $12 for children. Trust me, I work for them and watch from the Zamboni pit almost every game.

An NHL team in Halifax would fold fast and there is zero space downtown for a new arena. I can see all the whiny haligonians demanding converting everything to low income housing for the poor now while demanding none of the run down heritage buildings get touched all over again. It took years of fights just to get the new convention center(which I also work for). Maybe they could put it up in bayers lake, but LOL. Im trying to picture a sports arena beside a Costco and Walmart in an area already known for absolute **** traffic and terrible parking design.

Halifax was built for horses and carriages. None of the streets line up and as civilization discovered cars, nobody ever thought ahead enough to realize maybe straight roads are a good idea so they left all existing curvy roads and its now a traffic nightmare anytime construction of any kind happens.

20 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

lol.

Unless its $12 student night on weekends, we don't even fill the mooseheads arena, memorial cup aside. And tickets regularly go for $19 adult, $16 Senior and $12 for children. Trust me, I work for them and watch from the Zamboni pit almost every game.

An NHL team in Halifax would fold fast and there is zero space downtown for a new arena. I can see all the whiny haligonians demanding converting everything to low income housing for the poor now while demanding none of the run down heritage buildings get touched all over again. It took years of fights just to get the new convention center(which I also work for). Maybe they could put it up in bayers lake, but LOL. Im trying to picture a sports arena beside a Costco and Walmart in an area already known for absolute **** traffic and terrible parking design.

Halifax was built for horses and carriages. None of the streets line up and as civilization discovered cars, nobody ever thought ahead enough to realize maybe straight roads are a good idea so they left all existing curvy roads and its now a traffic nightmare anytime construction of any kind happens.

lol I know

Mooseheads are good enough for them.

And they're cool by the way.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 5:09 PM, extra skater said:

To be honest, I'd love to see those on the ice:

DDHwCB9XgAAWQap.jpg

If the Nordiques hadn't moved in 1995, they would have had those jersey. That was the new concept presented by Maurice Fillion back at the time.

Typical 90's design with the toothpaste green and the blue/purple along with a WordArt logo. I'm happy they moved just to avoid wearing those hideous Timberwolves jerseys.

• 2 weeks later...

The Leafs schedule:

8thteam.thumb.png.5eb47b205a2914ca1eaefffa5f2d878f.png

This is why having that 8th team was so important. The Leafs play back-to-back-to-back games against the same team, multiple times. It's like a MLB schedule.

As much as I like the Canucks or the Sens, I don't want to see them three times in a row. 

The Leafs have played the Oilers FOUR times in the past week.  :( 

I don't know how fans watched a league with only 6 teams. I really don't. 

Canada has 8 teams already.

You take the 7 it appears to be in reality, prorate it based on exchange rates, and the result is clearly and inarguably 8.

Problem solved.   

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

49 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

No. It's eternally prorated.

Even after you leave.

Especially after he leaves.

But we don't want WoW to leave, he brings a valuable, err, "perspective" to the board. Plus: spreadsheets.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, extra skater said:

And yet some people even talk about a second team in Toronto itself!

The city I've always heard is Markham. That is, if the NHL were to put an 8th team in Canada, it would be there. Why you ask? It's close to Toronto, but far enough away from Buffalo to avoid stepping on TWO different franchises.  :) 

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

The city I've always heard is Markham. That is, if the NHL were to put an 8th team in Canada, it would be there. Why you ask? It's close to Toronto, but far enough away from Buffalo to avoid stepping on TWO different franchises.  :) 

And would be called Toronto something too?

Like Toronto Toros or Toronto Legacy?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, extra skater said:

And would be called Toronto something too?

Like Toronto Toros or Toronto Legacy?

More than likely it would fall under the banner of "Toronto" _______  (something or other) because otherwise it's too small of a name to have any international recognition.

New York would have the Rangers and Islanders. Toronto would have the Leafs and the _____ ?  Heck, Montreal had two teams when the NHL was first formed. The Canadiens and the Wanderers.  I'm still "wandering" what happened to the other team lol.  ;)   (Okay, that was terrible.)

35 minutes ago, Math said:

Same jersey, same results, the Senators 2021 season is clearly taking the path of their inaugural season.

I hope they win a few games before the 3-game series coming up with Toronto so we can start a new losing streak for them.  :) 

• 2 weeks later...