Game 29: Flyers at Islanders; 3/18/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Nolan Patrick actually showed some hustle tonight and had some good shifts, until this dumb high sticking penalty.

That's rare. Most of the time you don't notice him when he's on the ice. I keep hoping he'll show some of his latent talent.

13 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

it doesn't look like Oskar liked being scratched very much.

I'm sure he didn't.

Also, I wonder if he'll require a rest now and then?

He's had a rib removed and was on drugs designed to kill humans, for a long time.

He might be far more effective if he can take a game off every now and then at least for this season. 

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Nolan Patrick actually showed some hustle tonight and had some good shifts, until this dumb high sticking penalty.

I've never seen the Flyers give a guy more opportunities than this guy and he's failed time and time again.  If Alexandre Daigle had been given this much ice time, put on the top PP, slotted with the best offensive players on the team and never benched for lackadaisical play, he'd been at least adequate.  Patrick may go down in history as the most pampered and yet worst 1st round Flyer draft pick ever. 

Watching that 3rd period I was wondering if Nick Leddy is way faster than he looks when you're on the ice with him. 

On the rushes he led, he barely looked like his legs were moving, yet he was blowing past everyone on the ice. 

I don't know if it's a situation where guys are changing direction and he is just charging or what, but on 2 of the goals against his speed and the moment's indecision about whose man he was were killers. 

The Flyers were still playing pretty well in the 3rd. Hart let them down. 2 of those goals were of the "dammit" variety.

I hope he gets his act together soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Hart let them down. 2 of those goals were of the "dammit" variety.

I hope he gets his act together soon.

He will. I just hope he's not living in another NHL city when it happens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Watching that 3rd period I was wondering if Nick Leddy is way faster than he looks when you're on the ice with him

Possible...

Or our team hits a wall in the 3rd, and are very slow

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Or our team hits a wall in the 3rd, and are very slow

I'm not buying this explanation. 

Maybe it's the smelling salts that are responsible for the bounce back after 3-3 ?  or AV givin' the boys a bump on the bench? 

Our guys still had plenty of jump and won a lot of battles once they were tied and regained the lead.

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not buying this explanation. 

Maybe it's the smelling salts that are responsible for the bounce back after 3-3 ?  or AV givin' the boys a bump on the bench? 

Our guys still had plenty of jump and won a lot of battles once they were tied and regained the lead.

So why did they fall aprt and give up 3 goals? They should have the same jump and won the battles before that ever happened

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1

Also how about ol' JvR throwing an open ice hit on Matthew Barzal when he had the puck and was getting ready to deal?

I was like who did that?

When I saw 25 getting up, I thought, that's a lot of dude to fall on you if you're Matt Barzal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

So why did they fall aprt and give up 3 goals? They should have the same jump and won the battles before that ever happened

This is the part where I say:

Because the Islanders have good players. 

Hart's bad reaction on and to the first goal gave the Islanders life.

and then all the stuff I said about Leddy's speed maybe catching some people off guard?

They (the Flyers) were winning the 3rd period, even when the Islanders were scoring, it wasn't that the ice was tilted towards Hart and he was under siege.

Hart's poor play let the Islanders back in the game. 

I will say at 2:30 when the Isles pulled the goalie, the Flyers were under siege but still kept a lot of pucks from getting on net. 

Edited by mojo1917

11 minutes ago, CoachX said:

pressure, it's bad enough you have a goalie that cant trust because of the way he plays which puts a ton pressure on the defense as a result they have to play harder and your leaders like giroux and jake dont take over a game and put goals in when it matters the most and have to rely on younger players to score goals which is hard for them, it just makes things so much harder to win and keep momentum.

cant win cups this way.

Edited by tucson83

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This is the part where I say:

Because the Islanders have good players. 

Hart's bad reaction on and to the first goal gave the Islanders life.

and then all the stuff I said about Leddy's speed maybe catching some people off guard?

They (the Flyers) were winning the 3rd period, even when the Islanders were scoring, it wasn't that the ice was tilted towards Hart and he was under siege.

Hart's poor play let the Islanders back in the game. 

I will say at 2:30 when the Isles pulled the goalie, the Flyers were under siege but still kept a lot of pucks from getting on net. 

This is the part where I say the fundamental problems with this team came out again. They can't seem to play a full 60 mins ( or even 6 mins vs. Rags). Even Jonesy and Jackson were commenting on how well they played, then just fell apart inexplicably. They also cannot protect a lead. This team needs to play desperate and aggressive the rest of the way. They cannot just sit back and play defense. They just aren't good enough. What I saw was an Isles team make a push, and the Flyers panicked and stopped playing the way they had all game

21 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

pressure, it's bad enough you have a goalie that cant trust because of the way he plays which puts a ton pressure on the defense

Or a defense you can't trust that sells out your goalie game after game, ruining his confidence and hanging him out to dry

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Also how about ol' JvR throwing an open ice hit on Matthew Barzal when he had the puck and was getting ready to deal?

I was like who did that?

That was JVR's most committed play as a pro hockey player, that I can recall at least. Give that man the "C"

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

or trade him

Obviously this is preferred. JVR does have a long reach, so I guess it's possible to find a GM who was dropped on his head as a child and inexplicably values a long reach over and above all other possible hockey skills and traits. Or likes moles.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Or a defense you can't trust that sells out your goalie game after game, ruining his confidence and hanging him out to dry

yeah, hart is not to blame for anything, the defense cant allow players to shoot not even from the outside which is freaking impossible and hart has to stop that first goal.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

This is the part where I say the fundamental problems with this team came out again. They can't seem to play a full 60 mins ( or even 6 mins vs. Rags). Even Jonesy and Jackson were commenting on how well they played, then just fell apart inexplicably. They also cannot protect a lead. This team needs to play desperate and aggressive the rest of the way. They cannot just sit back and play defense. They just aren't good enough. What I saw was an Isles team make a push, and the Flyers panicked and stopped playing the way they had all game

In the past few seasons, there have been so many games where we had the Isles down by 3 or 4 goals and they always seem to come back and tie it, most of the time they have also won the game.  Hart is also dropping down when it’s him against the shooter, stand the hell up and challenge , how do you get beat over your shoulder from 10 feet out, that should never happen. Play the Brodeur hybrid, stand up cut the angle down and when the puck is in tight ,then go into the butterfly. 

38 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Obviously this is preferred. JVR does have a long reach, so I guess it's possible to find a GM who was dropped on his head as a child and inexplicably values a long reach over and above all other possible hockey skills and traits. Or likes moles.

is his head actually crooked? His helmet is never straight

43 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

yeah, hart is not to blame for anything, the defense cant allow players to shoot not even from the outside which is freaking impossible and hart has to stop that first goal.

interesting...in the Rangers game, both goalies got lit up for four goals. I guess they both suck. Or was it the fault of the beer vendor? I know better than to blame Giroux

Edited by CoachX

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

how do you get beat over your shoulder from 10 feet out, that should never happen

NARRATOR: actually, it happens every night in the NHL, and has for at least a decade

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

In the past few seasons, there have been so many games where we had the Isles down by 3 or 4 goals and they always seem to come back and tie it, most of the time they have also won the game.  Hart is also dropping down when it’s him against the shooter, stand the hell up and challenge , how do you get beat over your shoulder from 10 feet out, that should never happen. Play the Brodeur hybrid, stand up cut the angle down and when the puck is in tight ,then go into the butterfly. 

maybe they should sign you to play goal 😃