Game 32: Devils at Flyers; 3/23/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

So I take it the game did not go well?

At this point I think I'm more interested in weeding my garden and flower beds than watching this team.

Chuck Fletcher's press availability today should be interesting, it probably won't be.

There is something wrong with this group of players. What ever remedy fixes the mental laziness I see all the time... I'm for. 

• Like 2

Just now, mojo1917 said:

Look at box score below ....not once BUT TWICE giving up a goal with less than a minuted to go in the period ......

image.png.a4a153048d4068a189b3bd904c8579a2.png

your garden and flowers will give you more enjoyment than watching this team ......

• Like 2

Im really hopeful that significant things happen at the trade deadline. However,  I think most of accept that wont happen. I dont know if the problem is with the organization backing the ex-flyers who sit in the front office, or if its actually those ex-flyers still pulling the strings.  Maybe its just the "its a business" group who only care about profits. Whatever it is, I dont think the priority is the on ice product. As a fan, I feel cheated and betrayed.  I think they know we will spend our time and money regardless. They make money off our loyalty,  loyalty that comes from what this franchise used to be. Its just like what you see when you go to the arena. They pump up the volume, dazzle with fantastic light shows, and distract with the humor of a great mascot. Then the lights go out, your wallet gets emptied buying a beer or two, and you watch a team that doesnt reflect a fraction of that energy 

Its a damn shame

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

your garden and flowers will give you more enjoyment than watching this team ......

But that's boring and I hate the labor, so you're saying the team is bad? right?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

At this point I think I'm more interested in weeding my garden and flower beds than watching this team.

Chuck Fletcher's press availability today should be interesting, it probably won't be.

There is something wrong with this group of players. What ever remedy fixes the mental laziness I see all the time... I'm for. 

I've been saying this since the bubble. There's is something really wrong with this team. Most nights they don't look interested in playing.  There was a couple plays they did last night that I would lose my mind on my U15 team if they did what the Flyers were doing.  I've never seen a team pass it right to the opposing team more than the Flyers do. Hayes throwing the puck onto Ghost's stick with 6 seconds left in the period. Just bat it in the corner.  Gustafson has to be one of the worse D men in his own end I have ever seen. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

But that's boring and I hate the labor, so you're saying the team is bad? right?

yup .... You know me ...I try to be even keel with most things.  I have tried to be patient with this team and all the changes over the past few years.  I'm done, the defense is more porous than a sponge.  The mentality to always pass...pass...pass ...is nauseating.  Yes this team is in trouble and is very difficult to watch at times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I wonder if the office egg heads are worried that dealing G and jake might backfire like when they dealt Carter and Richards?

I remember when we were still on the old philly.com boards when that went down and it was like a nuclear explosion when those trades went down.

• Like 1

Just now, CoachX said:

Im really hopeful that significant things happen at the trade deadline. However,  I think most of accept that wont happen

I think for actual team improving change, the big moves will have to come during the summer around the drafts.

I don't know that teams are looking to wheel and deal because of the expansion draft and salary cap questions.

I dunno maybe the team gets gutted at the deadline and rebuilt after?

It is apparent to everyone that this group isn't able to play sustained winning hockey.

You could be right, about Comcast not giving a rat's ass. I told their ticket guy he can **** right the hell off until the team plays better. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

Gustafson has to be one of the worse D men in his own end I have ever seen. 

Completely unaware of his surroundings and the situation most of the time he's on the ice.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know that teams are looking to wheel and deal because of the expansion draft and salary cap questions.

that is definitely throwing a wrench in everything with regards to potential moves ......

as I mentioned in another post....what a waste of a decade .......

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I wonder if the office egg heads are worried that dealing G and jake might backfire like when they dealt Carter and Richards?

who did those players turn into ?

Couturier and Voracek

the "good" Schenn and Wayne Simmonds. 

So one good player two okay players and the most hated player since Jeff Carter.

So those trades produced the core that everyone hates now...

Plus, it left a huge leadership void, even if all that meant was people had to get to the bar on their own.

I would say some reticence about a huge move is not misplaced. 

Edited by mojo1917

Greetings:

These really are the times that try Flyers fans' souls.  

Before the first game, I asked the question--which team would show this season?  The one that stormed 9-1 into the playoffs and went 3-0 in the round robin, or the one that struggled against MTL and showed serious flaws against Trotz and the Islanders?  I think we are getting an answer in spades.

I suspect AV got over achievement last year.  Now it is a bust.  As others have noted, we've had the same crap under a number of coaches, but the accumulated talent (on paper) makes it worse.  As I said earlier this week, the franchise is at a pivot.  If Fletcher dismisses AV (unlikely) or does some doozy of a trade, we get confirmation of worst fears.

As for G and V--if someone wants them, fine.  I'd think a Cup contender might be interested.  Meanwhile, the lack of effort and defense around our goal is appalling.  Sounding my usual BS--I understood the 2006-07 squad.  That was AHL on steroids.  This gang is different and their underperformance raises a lot questions about character--and on the defense, whether we've really misjudged upside play of youngins. 

Howie

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

and on the defense, whether we've really misjudged upside play of youngins. 

I don't think so with regard to Provorov or Sanhiem. Or even Myers who wasn't drafted but shows man-cub ability often enough to not want to throw the towel in. Not having a core of decent NHL defensemen in place has put the growing pains of the youngsters in the spot light. 

I also think in an ideal developmental situation #9 doesn't have a different playing partner every year.

Defensemen take longer to know how to play NHL hockey. It took Duncan Keith time, it took Nik Lidstrom time, our guys may not ever be that good but they weren't perfect from jump and took time to become great. Plus, we didn't see those guys making stupid plays, but they did. 

I don't want to be the farm team for some other NHL team with 9, 6, and 5.  I want to reap the rewards when they're fully finished.

NHL development is not linear, I've seen enough good from all 3 of those mentioned players to accept some growing pains.

Edited by mojo1917

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

As bad a Gus and Ghost are defensively, especially Gus, why haven’t we tried Derek Pouliot . I remember him with Pittsburgh and he was a first round pick. Can he really be worse than Gus? I haven’t seen him play since his days with the Pens, anyone have intel on him? Is it humanly possible to be worse than Gus defensively?

I've only made it to one Phantoms game this year but Pouliot looks like a perfect fit for the Flyers.  He was -3 after losing the puck at the point twice leading to SH goals and was caught up ice on an even strength goal.  But then he scored the game winner in the third period.  Ghost 2.0.

To be honest, I can't stand Sam Morin because he's never gonna be that Pronger type d-man everyone used to claim he would be, but he's actually the best defenseman on the Phantoms from what I saw that night and on TV.  Still too slow for the NHL though.

13 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I think they know we will spend our time and money regardless.

Except that that's what got Hextall fired - fewer people were coming and the ancillary revenues dropped.

That got Scott to talk to Homer who went to Hextall and we know how that went.

But we keep coming back to the same point. They've changed GMs and coaches and the same players with the high priced long term contracts keep doing the same things.

So, time to fire the coach - right?

Q.E.D.

I watch other teams and I really enjoy hockey. I watch my hometown team and it makes me pine for cooking shows and @mojo1917's flower garden...

The next eight points are criticial... I mean, it's really not beyond the realm of possibility that the Rags could move into fifth place. That said, they're only six points ahead of the Devils who have a game in hand.

Remember earlier this season when the Pens were in "disarray" - good times.

• Like 1

it took Nik Lidstrom time

Keith is a great example. Lidstrom had 60 points and was +36 as a rookie in '91. Followed that with 41/+7 and 56/+43.

The guy was plus eighty six in his first three seasons.  Provorov (different era) was -6.

Lidstrom didn't have a minus season until 2010-11 (-2) - his only career minus season. He didn't score less than 50 points until 2003-04 (38) (aside from the shortened 1994 season where he was still "on pace" for 50) and along with his swansong in 11-12 (34) those are his only sub-40-point seasons.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

His press conference won't be, and they'll get the same softball questions from the media, if any. The tradition... of arrogance of their management including Dave Scott, the stubbornness and possible brain damage of Paul Holmgren, and the general ineptitude of Fletcher continues. They are the descendants of Ed Snider, who fought change in the NHL, with everything he had. It will be a warm and fuzzy poo show, no doubt. I'll know within the first two minutes, if I'm interested. If it's anything other than a big trade announcement, I won't be.

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Keith is a great example. Lidstrom had 60 points and was +36 as a rookie in '91. Followed that with 41/+7 and 56/+43.

The guy was plus eighty six in his first three seasons.  Provorov (different era) was -6.

Lidstrom didn't have a minus season until 2010-11 (-2) - his only career minus season. He didn't score less than 50 points until 2003-04 (38) (aside from the shortened 1994 season where he was still "on pace" for 50) and along with his swansong in 11-12 (34) those are his only sub-40-point seasons.

Lidstrom played on a team with some pretty good defenders in place too. 

But, point taken. 

It took 6 years for him to be a serious Norris candidate, that's a more direct and better use of the analogy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Poconono said:

To be honest, I can't stand Sam Morin because he's never gonna be that Pronger type d-man everyone used to claim he would be, but he's actually the best defenseman on the Phantoms from what I saw that night and on TV.  Still too slow for the NHL though.

How's that "move to left wing" experiment going with him? :hocky:

He was never going to be the Pronger-type defenceman. He doesn't have the mean streak.

There are two guys from 2013's first round with fewer NHL games played - picks 22 and 28 (both by Calgary). The next six guys taken after Morin all have hundreds of NHL games in their careers - including three defencemen.

The injuries certainly didn't help him, but he was a project from the jump.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

Except that that's what got Hextall fired - fewer people were coming and the ancillary revenues dropped.

That got Scott to talk to Homer who went to Hextall and we know how that went.

But we keep coming back to the same point. They've changed GMs and coaches and the same players with the high priced long term contracts keep doing the same things.

So, time to fire the coach - right?

Q.E.D.

I watch other teams and I really enjoy hockey. I watch my hometown team and it makes me pine for cooking shows and @mojo1917's flower garden...

The next eight points are criticial... I mean, it's really not beyond the realm of possibility that the Rags could move into fifth place. That said, they're only six points ahead of the Devils who have a game in hand.

Remember earlier this season when the Pens were in "disarray" - good times.

sometimes you wonder if it is just for a paycheck and nothing else?, after we paid these same guys that played well last year, they started falling off a cliff. heck after we overpaid for giroux and jake they started their disappearing acts after that.

Lidstrom played on a team with some pretty good defenders in place too. 

But, point taken. 

It took 6 years for him to be a serious Norris candidate, that's a more direct and better use of the analogy. 

It is an organization failing to have not supported the growth of the young D with veterans.

And not "Braun type" veterans, but guys who could actually still play the game. That was obvious with Niskanen.

The idea they went out and signed Gustaffsssooonnnn is patently absurd.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, radoran said:

How's that "move to left wing" experiment going with him? :hocky:

He was never going to be the Pronger-type defenceman. He doesn't have the mean streak.

There are two guys from 2013's first round with fewer NHL games played - picks 22 and 28 (both by Calgary). The next six guys taken after Morin all have hundreds of NHL games in their careers - including three defencemen.

The injuries certainly didn't help him, but he was a project from the jump.

It isn't going to work. He's too slow, and if that's their answer for inserting a physical winger into the lineup, that's a 'no' from me.

• Like 2