Game 32: Devils at Flyers; 3/23/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

39 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

our forwards always passing all over the place which puts a ton a of pressure on the d core which causes more odd man rushes and breakouts on us, if they just start shooting from every angle, it takes alot of pressure off the d. for some odd reason they dont want to just put the puck on the net, that's why im saying we need snipers/shooting type of mentality players.

i mean the way i see the hurricanes play, they always shoot the puck all over place which puts pressure on the opponents  which causes less odd man rushes, breakouts, that's why you see average goalies play so well with carolina is because there's less pressure on them from how they play.

The old time Flyers teams used to forechecking hell out of  the other team , hit everyone in sight and bombard the net with shots from all over the place, I remember them cycling the puck and the other team couldn’t get the puck out of their own zone . It seemed like we were in the offensive zone for most of the game. One line in particular that was great at this was the Linseman,  Propp , Holmgren line, they dominated . Propp score 35 goals in his rookie year and we went on the 35 game streak.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

The old time Flyers teams used to forechecking hell out of  the other team , hit everyone in sight and bombard the net with shots from all over the place, I remember them cycling the puck and the other team couldn’t get the puck out of their own zone

Now the shoe is on the other foot. Feels strange. Will we ever wake from this nightmare?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fizz said:

Do you think stripping him of the "C" might light a fire under this team?

No.

This has been another edition of simple answers to simple questions.

The choice of Smith over Timonen at the time still haunts this franchise.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Fizz said:

Do you think stripping him of the "C" might light a fire under this team?

No .. this idea has been discussed ad nauseam in years past before you joined.

The damage has already been done. They will get a new Captain when Giroux moves on from this team. 

Nothing can be gained by stripping him of the “C” except created hardship and animosity.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Good Post 2

8 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

No .. this idea has been discussed ad nauseam in years past before you joined.

The damage has already been done. The will get a new Captain when Giroux moves on from this team. 

Nothing can be gained by stripping him of the “C” except created hardship and animosity.

Agreed @pilldocSay what you will about G and what leadership skills he may or may not have but he’s earned the right to remain captain as long as he remains a Flyers unless he decides to step down. 

You can be a leader without having a Letter on your sweater. Veterans like Braun, Elliott can step up as vocal leaders. Provorov has also been around long enough and is seen as “their top D man” so maybe he can be more vocal on the bench and in the room. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Agreed @pilldocSay what you will about G and what leadership skills he may or may not have but he’s earned the right to remain captain as long as he remains a Flyers unless he decides to step down. 

You can be a leader without having a Letter on your sweater. Veterans like Braun, Elliott can step up as vocal leaders. Provorov has also been around long enough and is seen as “their top D man” so maybe he can be more vocal on the bench and in the room. 

Agree with both of you that this can't be done while Giroux remains.

But others cannot effectively lead while Giroux and Voracek remain.  I get the argument about Provorov and Braun and they may not be natural leaders anyway, but it's not happening in any case while the VeeGees are here.

I agree it's not about the letter on the sweater  but the genes in the jeans. But it does have to do with the fact this IS the Veegees' team. By seniority, tradition, and incompetent negligence.  Provorov and Braun could provide leadership on the defense and clearly aren't, but the rest is that you can't be king while Elizabeth lives.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Agree with both of you that this can't be done while Giroux remains.

But others cannot effectively lead while Giroux and Voracek remain.  I get the argument about Provorov and Braun and they may not be natural leaders anyway, but it's not happening in any case while the VeeGees are here.

I agree it's not about the letter on the sweater  but the genes in the jeans. But it does have to do with the fact this IS the Veegees' team. By seniority, tradition, and incompetent negligence.  Provorov and Braun could provide leadership on the defense and clearly aren't, but the rest is that you can't be king while Elizabeth lives.

CD3AEC6F-7BC3-4DC1-8CA1-DCE6D3AEBB78.jpeg.94e3ee83439dc751b6a830f4dbd1863e.jpeg