2021 Round 2 Quarter Finals : NY Islanders vs Boston Bruins (NYI Win 4-2)

Which Defensive Stalwart Comes Out On Top?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Defensive Stalwart Comes Out On Top?

• Islanders Drown Their Opponent in 4
    • Islanders Give Away One, But Series is Theirs in 5
    • Islanders Grind Out Their Opponent in 6
    • Islanders Outlast Boston in 7
    • Boston Breaks Out The Bruin Sticks in 4
    • Boston Pauses for a Game, Then Resumes Their Journey in 5
    • Boston Shows NY How to Grind in 6
    • Boston Wins a Distance Long Black n Blue Affair in 7

1224110554_NYIvsBos.jpg.f81d46c9709c344b4133f2978a968992.jpg

Two defensive teams meet in one leg of the Quarters.

Bruins got some traction as a legit contender once they acquired Taylor Hall to  help fix their offensive issues and depth, but the NY Islanders have been the epitome of steady, solid, even if at times vanilla, defensive play all season long.
And have done it with such consistency that some feel it may be enough to carry a team that has shown promise in past post seasons, only to disappointingly fall to another team that seemed to have more tools to work with.

The Islanders journey has been made, for the most part, without their captain Anders Lee, but acquisitions Kyle Palmieri and Travis Zajac, initially looking like duds, have slowly started to come around helping to truly compliment the core of Barzal, Nelson, Pageau and company.

Meanwhile, we all know the Bruins top line of Bergeron-Marchand-Pastrnak are a force to be reckoned with.
But Taylor Hall, yes, THAT Taylor Hall, has come alive since being acquired by the Bruins and not only has his play given the Bruins a legit 2nd line threat, but it has helped slot everyone else in the lineup much better than before.

Defensively and in the net, both teams are quite solid. It is in the team makeup and philosophy for both that defense and goaltending is a priority and this match up will test to see who does it better.

Both teams are coming off an opening round that some might term mild upsets, but those who follow each team are probably smiling because they knew all that defense and timely offense wins series.

Islanders, Bruins.
Talk about their match up and ongoing series here.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

8 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Bruins win this in six....

I went with Islanders in the full 7, but the more I look into this match up, the more it honestly feels like a "pick'em".
Both sides have compelling arguments for why they can advance.
And in some areas, they are so similar, it is hard to really pick one over the other.

I guess I went with NY because I feel that as an organization, with this core, they have been slowly building up to a deep run, while Boston didn't look like much of a contender most of the year, but looked transformed after the deadline into one.
Beating highly touted Washington further cemented Boston's argument.

I expect a knock down, drag out here, but with the Islanders complete 4 line, 3 defense pair, two headed goalie monster outlasting the Bruins going the distance.

I went with Bruins in Six.

The Islanders winning is plausible and your post has merit, @TropicalFruitGirl26.

Unlike most, I actually had Boston beating the Caps fairly handily, so I'm sticking with them.   But here's the crux of it:   Rask is not Jarry.   If Rask does Rask and continues his play through the first round, I don't know that the Isles score enough even to outpace their defense.     If he's not, the Isles win.

I'm saying this as if Sorokin wasn't stellar.  He was.  And he could continue to be (and probably will).   But it's Sorokin's play that has me drawing this out to 6.

I think team vs. team, I actually like the Isles better, but I think it's a Boston vs. Tampa series.

Then Tampa vs. Peg/Leafs winner (man, I really want to say Winnipeg, but holy horrible TV ratings, Batman!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I think team vs. team, I actually like the Isles better, but I think it's a Boston vs. Tampa series.

sounds about right. Rask is certainly capable of ending it in 4 or 5 but I'm starting to believe Sorokin is as well...could be a nice long series!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I was thinking same thing… hence the reason I took the Isles 

Yep. And that's plausible.  I think his continued play is required for the Isles to survive.

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 Round 2 Quarter Finals : NY Islanders vs Boston Bruins (BOS Leads 1-0)
  • TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 Round 2 Quarter Finals : NY Islanders vs Boston Bruins (Series Tied 1-1)

Ever notice how ‘unexpected’ breakaways in the normal course of play score far more often than in shootouts?   I think the shooter has less time to think about it so screws up less.  I think the goalie has less time to prepare and screws up more than in a shootout.

Anyhoo great shot by Cizikas on tonight’s OT breakaway winner for the Isles.  My Boston in Five pick was looking up after the two Brewski goals in the last 10 minutes but now a longshot for sure, glad I didn’t place a dime on it anywhere.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 12:21 AM, SaucyJack said:

My Boston in Five pick was looking up after the two Brewski goals in the last 10 minutes but now a longshot for sure, glad I didn’t place a dime on it anywhere.

That on top of Rask is dealing with some sort of injury does not seem to bode well for them.

I like Halak as a backup but if he has to go that is a huge step down for them.

Guess we'll see as of now they are tight lipped on it...NYI needs to test him well and get him moving around to see how it affects him.

If he can't finish this is a wrap IMHO.

G3 and the Isles have 12K in the building...nice to see, nice to hear the roars.

What happened to Sorokin? VarlamIov already let one by him, high glove no real screen...Smith ripped it from btw the dots but it still seems like Varlamov should've had it.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 Round 2 Quarter Finals : NY Islanders vs Boston Bruins (BOS Leads 2-1)

Game # 3....monster netminder battle, another OT game that sparks my agita.

Bruins win, all that matters....i will however, say that the hit on carlo was clean, clearly he's had concussion issues in the past, and he needs to be rested, or he's gonna have to retire early.

The Crowd, while there are morons and classless people in every arena, the crowd chanting "boston sucks" while there is a man down...not cool. Great goal by Marchand to win it...

On to game # 4

Next time I need to find an unfindable thing or insert a damn sewing thread in the tiniest needle ever, I'll ask Marchand. I was told he's a very serviceable and nice guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Game # 3....monster netminder battle, another OT game that sparks my agita.

Yes....concerns about Rask dealing with an injury but i saw nothing.

An epic battle. On to game 4.

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021 Round 2 Quarter Finals : NY Islanders vs Boston Bruins (Series Tied 2-2)

Shaping up to be a great series... last night reminded me of the old days, refs were fairly invisible , didn’t overreact and there was a LOT to react to....ha! Really good game it isn’t often you keep Boston’s top line quiet. I loved the Isles smothering defense, forced mistakes and didn’t let the Bs get any sustained momentum. G5 should be just as good!

I predicted Boston in 7 at the start of this series, because of their top line, depth and Rask. Even Taylor Hall isn't hurting that team.  No reason to change that pick now. In the NHL bracket challenge, I had the Capitals taking the Bruins and Islanders out. So much for that. This series has lived up to expectations. They'll be a couple more OT games in this series, with whoever comes out of it being black and blue. 

36 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I predicted Boston in 7 at the start of this series, because of their top line, depth and Rask. Even Taylor Hall isn't hurting that team.  No reason to change that pick now. In the NHL bracket challenge, I had the Capitals taking the Bruins and Islanders out. So much for that. This series has lived up to expectations. They'll be a couple more OT games in this series, with whoever comes out of it being black and blue. 

I got the Isles in 7. And i think it can go either way. Two very good teams duking it out till the end.

This is a very Flyers move here....haunting maybe...

Pasta channeling his inner Jake Voracek...

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I got the Isles in 7. And i think it can go either way. Two very good teams duking it out till the end.

This is a very Flyers move here....haunting maybe...

Pasta channeling his inner Jake Voracek...

True, but he did get up and backcheck, so I can't say he was possessed by Vorachoke.

• Haha 1