Ristolainen to Flyers

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

The Risto thing was always, ya, but he was on a bad team, he just needs to be on a better team. Well, that has been debunked a little.

But he does hit people, so maybe a 2nd rounder or a prospect.

Maybe he still needs to be on a better team?

Or maybe his lousy play is part of the reason the two teams he's been on stink.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

The Risto thing was always, ya, but he was on a bad team, he just needs to be on a better team. Well, that has been debunked a little.

But he does hit people, so maybe a 2nd rounder or a prospect.

The people who said this were morons, because the advanced stats showed that it was a Risto thing, not a team thing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Well, that has been debunked a little.

I admit i haven't seen him a lot before coming in and heard the complaints and noise and was trying to be positive about the trade despite not liking all that went into getting but giving the kid the benefit of the doubt.

However after watching him play just WTF did Homer and them see or think they could get from this guy to justify what they put in to get him - all those assets should have brought back a stud top 4 D man and that is not what i have ever seen from him.

I see a guy who has no clue WTF he is doing in his own end - a lot of tools to work with but that is it.

In fact i HATE EVERYONE HERE WHO PREDICTED THIS AND WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!!

I'm looking at you @flyercanuck

Someone - anyone please help me guess WTF they saw in this kid beside being able to be physical and blow guys up sorry i need way more for his price tag. What an epic fail....

...that is all carry on.

:BrownBag:

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2022 at 7:54 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Someone - anyone please help me guess WTF they saw in this kid beside being able to be physical and blow guys up sorry i need way more for his price tag. What an epic fail....

...that is all carry on.

It's what I said earlier, people said he just needs a change of scenery, a better team, better coach even, and then he will be great. It's BS, but that was the line they bought into.  (and he hits people ) :)

Buffalo, with Kevyn Adams however has made a heavy shift to using analytics so they moved him out as soon as they could and robbed the Flyers blind as it turns out.

57 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

as it turns out.

A 1st and a 2nd and a roster player - even forgetting the Ghost deal - was a ridiculous overpayment deal for a player (analytics aside) I actually like. 🇫🇮

that said, I wouldn't have dealt for him and don't want them to keep him.

but they will ..

4 hours ago, radoran said:

A 1st and a 2nd and a roster player - even forgetting the Ghost deal - was a ridiculous overpayment deal for a player (analytics aside) I actually like. 🇫🇮

that said, I wouldn't have dealt for him and don't want them to keep him.

but they will ..

I think it will be a telling moment. If Fletcher signs him long term (or even just doesn't trade him before the deadline) it'll clearly say he gets to put his own image ahead of the good of the team, and if Clarke et al let him continue after that well then it's status quo and people should probably cancel their season's tickets for next year.

If however, he does trade him, it's an admission he screwed up but also a sign that they can admit a mistake and do what's best for the team. 

I think we both agree on what'll likely happen. 

• Like 2

Well i hope they can do what is best for the team. Sure they swing for the fence and missed.

Best thing you can do is own it admit and they acknowledge what it takes to move in the right direction and that means trading him for any assets you can get in return to right the situation best you can.

It takes a man to admit a mistake. So will they???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i hope they can do what is best for the team. Sure they swing for the fence and missed.

Best thing you can do is own it admit and they acknowledge what it takes to move in the right direction and that means trading him for any assets you can get in return to right the situation best you can.

I doubt they think they made a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So you're telling me they have been watching the games with blind folds on then???

Stevie Wonder can see they made a mistake...

As has been mentioned, saw it before they made the trade. Plenty did. They still made it. 

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

I'm really not sure what to think about Risto tbh. I was and remain on the side of him just not being an effective NHL dman. I can somewhat understand the idea that he was on a crap team, and it stands to reason he might be better on a "better" team, but that to me feels an awful lot like a hypothesis.

He was an integral part of that Sabres core in his time there. He wasn't just some cog on the roster. He was looked at as essentially their back end pillar, at least up until Dahlin showed up to take that crown from him. Despite that, the guy has really never had a good season as far as dmen go. His main selling point is that he's willing to do higher risk stuff and he's very willing to hit people. All that is fine, and it can even have its place at times... but it's hardly a winning formula for a modern NHL dman. 

But, I can understand maybe taking a swing at him. I never expected him to work out, and he really hasn't. I mean, he really hasn't guys... I don't know what some folks are smoking talking about how he's been one of the "best dmen on the team" but he really really hasn't. He hasn't, and the team hasn't gotten any better since he's been here either. That's a lose-lose to me.

So, yep, the payment to get him was an overpayment. At the very least, I really hope Fletch can move past that bit and send him somewhere else. Please, please do not resign him for the money and term he's going to ask for. Because he totally will ask for way more than he's worth... and I really hope we're not the ones to give it to him.

On 2/7/2022 at 11:54 AM, OccamsRazor said:

In fact i HATE EVERYONE HERE WHO PREDICTED THIS AND WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!!

The first step is acceptance.

Edited by elmatus

4 hours ago, elmatus said:

He was looked at as essentially their back end pillar, at least up until Dahlin showed up to take that crown from him. Despite that, the guy has really never had a good season as far as dmen go.

He had four consecutive 40+ point seasons before Oh My Dahlin took over 1PP duties. 40 points is a pretty standard benchmark for an "offensive defenceman".

But to your point he's always been a minus player, with his "best" season of those at 45 points and -9. Of course, there's also the 43 point season where he was -41. 43 points, 18 on the power play, 25 even strength. Correct me if I'm wrong but that does put him on the ice for sixty-six even strength goals against?

First year of Dahlin, he had 33 points and was -2.

His selling point to ol' Fletch was his willingness to hit people. And as it is, excepting his rookie year, this is projecting to be his worst points season at 22. Along with his advanced analytics, they now get none of the offensive benefit and all of the defensive liability. Which is a pretty amazing way to "develop" an asset.

4 hours ago, elmatus said:

So, yep, the payment to get him was an overpayment. At the very least, I really hope Fletch can move past that bit and send him somewhere else. Please, please do not resign him for the money and term he's going to ask for. Because he totally will ask for way more than he's worth... and I really hope we're not the ones to give it to him.

I will be flat out stunned if ol' Fletch doesn't re-sign him. Not because I want him to re-sign him, but because the "hockey guys" at the Big Bank Building seem to like what he's brought to the team.

I know that doesn't make sense to those of us who used to watch the games, but that is what it appears.

I'd say this was going to be AndyMac 2.0, but I think it's actually worse than ol' AndyMac because they gave up more to get him and will probably pay more to keep him.

A 1st, 2nd and a roster player to get him and a 2nd, 4th and a roster player to make the cap space for him. I just...

dragon chase GIF by South Park

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So you're telling me they have been watching the games with blind folds on then???

Stevie Wonder can see they made a mistake...

Bob Clarke: I must admit, Hextall did it!

Paul Holmgren: I must admit, AV did it!

Dave Scott: I must admit, someone did it, I just don't know who. But whoever it is, they aren't here now

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You'd hope so. Unless they are totally delusional. Hey, they can deadline trade him AND if they want still sign him in free agency and bring him back. Nothing to stop them from doing that if they still want him. But signing him prior to the deadline would be a mistake and not doing anything would just be dumb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

But signing him prior to the deadline would be a mistake and not doing anything would just be dumb. 

Mistakes and dumb. These are the two things the Flyers are best at. You have to play to your strengths in today's NHL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Mistakes and dumb. These are the two things the Flyers are best at. You have to play to your strengths in today's NHL

Well if there is any value at all on the table for Risto because the more he plays the more he loses value PULL THE TRIGGER...

M. Cristina Cris - Google+ | Hourglass, Hourglasses, Sand clock

..like sands of time thru the glass....

...he is lucky Yandle is on the team to make him look better but only slightly.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, elmatus said:

I don't know what some folks are smoking talking about how he's been one of the "best dmen on the team" but he really really hasn't.

Speaking of smoking who the hell here said that???

I haven't seen anyone defend Risto.

At best some of us said we wanted to see him play here first, me being one of those have since seen the light.

It didn't take me long to see what others talking about someone else who seemed to have all those tools but not very sharp mentally was booger eater they traded Picknosenen...nope his tale in Philly is drawing near i pray.

So yeah puff puff pass to the left hand side....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CoachX said:

I WANT NAMES! 

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of smoking who the hell here said that???

Sorry boys, I'm not in the habit of calling people out. 😉

Besides, maybe they meant to add some context to that thought, and I just missed it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Sad to say but Ristolainen has been "one of the best D-men" for the Flyers this year. And that explains a lot. It's a low bar in Philly this year. 

So , I am wondering what is the best return we can get when we trade him? There has to be a team that is a serious contender that does not have a physical defensemen  and needs that for a serious run at the Cup. You know how the playoffs are and it gets real physical.  

Since Risto is an UFA, his cap # won't be an issue for the playoffs, so even if a team has no intention of signing him, I think we should be able to get a second round pick. If some team suffers an injury on defense and are desperate, maybe a first rounder or prospect.

Who gets Ristolainen?

I don't understand.

Who gives us assets for Ristolainen? At the deadline! Someone's got to do it! Is it Calgary? Who?

Nobody. Nobody trades for him. He re-signs.

You mean he's staying? Jeebus, Fletcher, why did you trade for him?

• Haha 1

I have to admit, I don' think hes going to be moved. Given the organization's reluctance to rebuild, they are not going to have a fire sale and start over. Then add in the price paid for Risto, the can't just dump him after one season. Lastly, based off that recent presser, this management group is making all kinds of excuses while blaming no one. The only ace in the hole i see, is he wants out and walks. That would be nice, but we arent that lucky

11 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Sad to say but Ristolainen has been "one of the best D-men" for the Flyers this year. And that explains a lot. It's a low bar in Philly this year. 

kind of like the fact that laughton is the fourth leading scorer on the team

big fish. small, waste infected, pond

• Like 1