Ristolainen to Flyers

40 minutes ago, radoran said:

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

What does it say about the organization* that Ristolainen hasn't taken that deal?

Not sure it is a complete indictment of the organization.

He might think he's a 7million aav player.

If he gets dealt to a contender and plays well...maybe that happens 

Not every action by every entity is a repudiation of the team.

This guy (and his agent) somehow got the Sabres to value Big Hits, more than I ever thought possible, esp in today's NHL. And now he's accomplished the same thing with Fletcher and the Flyers.

Defensively Ristolainen is no better than Nick Seeler. Yes he brings the hits ... bigfkndeal. Was it just a coincidence that Sanheim started playing about a 1000% better w/out Ristolainen for a partner?

Ristolainen isn't a liability all the time; he makes some good plays on both sides of the ice. He's far from useless. Maybe with a better GM making the deal, $5.4mil for one year would've been worth a shot. Instead it was Fletcher and he gave away the store to get him. I'm guessing now he feels like he's GOT to sign him long-term. 

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

. Instead it was Fletcher and he gave away the store to get him. I'm guessing now he feels like he's GOT to sign him long-term. 

Oh for sure Fletcher paid way too much to get him. And now doesn't want to just lose all those assets for nothing, so overpay him to keep him. Brilliant. 

About as brilliant as paying a guy who says he won't play for your team unless they overpay him. 

Then building the team around that guy.

Or bringing guys in cause of some affiliation he had with a state...that fired him.

Wonder why we suck?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Ristolainen isn't a liability all the time; he makes some good plays on both sides of the ice. He's far from useless. Maybe with a better GM making the deal, $5.4mil for one year would've been worth a shot. Instead it was Fletcher and he gave away the store to get him. I'm guessing now he feels like he's GOT to sign him long-term. 

No, he isn't a liability ALL the time but he has absolutely no concept of positional play and is erratic chasing the puck all over the place and often getting caught out of position doing it. 

But perhaps signing or not signing him will be Fletcher's undoing. I'm thinking of where he came from and in Buffalo when Jason Botterill was squeezed on Jeff Skinner he overpaid drastically to save face and then Skinner didn't measure up to the contract and that was it for Jason. So this is similar. He takes the fall for the mistake either way. 

• Good Post 1

@flyercanuck

And anyone else who would like to chime in.

So Montreal wants to move Petry.

So there are proposals on the table.

JVR

for 

Petry

And Montreal retains 1 mill of his salary per season.

Which would bring him down to 5.2 mill X 3 years.

Would you do that deal I know it isn't great but it would signal they are moving on from Risto.

Which is awesome to me considering they would avoid a 6 year 6+ per season deal with the skating Klondike bar.

And be rid of JVR I have to think long and hard about this....

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

@flyercanuck

And anyone else who would like to chime in.

So there are proposals on the table.

JVR

for 

Petry

And Montreal retains 1 mill of his salary per season.

Which would bring him down to 5.2 mill X 3 years.

Would you do that deal I know it isn't great but it would signal they are moving on from Risto.

Which is awesome to me considering they would avoid a 6 year 6+ per season deal with the skating Klondike bar.

And be rid of JVR I have to think long and hard about this....

If we can get an NHL caliber defensemen like Baron from Colorado in the Giroux trade, then we can get rid of Risto and we won't have to waste $$ and term on Petry. We have enough overpriced, broken down players with huge long term deals. JVR has only one year left, we can buy him out. We need to start freeing up cap space in case we do improve and in a few years we can actually have $$ to sign an impact UFA.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

To be clear, I don't want Petry. :hocky:

I don't get the feeling that Montreal is looking for a straight up for a 33-year-old forward.

Happy to be wrong.

I'd prefer to retain half JVR's salary and get some sort of asset be it a pick, prospect or both.

Of course, the Flyers are looking for players that will make them a contender in the short term. Petry seems to make sense from that perspective (although I find it flawed).

Montreal retains $1M/year and Flyers retain $3.5M the money is a wash and it fits Petry better.

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh, I think you are so underestimating ol' Fletch's obsession with Riskolainen...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If we can get an NHL caliber defensemen like Baron from Colorado in the Giroux trade, then we can get rid of Risto and we won't have to waste $$ and term on Petry. We have enough overpriced, broken down players with huge long term deals. JVR has only one year left, we can buy him out. We need to start freeing up cap space in case we do improve and in a few years we can actually have $$ to sign an impact UFA.

I am good finding another option and a. younger one too.

Just gauging interest because it is out there.

I would flip JVR for David Savard though in a minute.

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

To be clear, I don't want Petry. :hocky:

I don't get the feeling that Montreal is looking for a straight up for a 33-year-old forward.

Happy to be wrong.

I'd prefer to retain half JVR's salary and get some sort of asset be it a pick, prospect or both.

Of course, the Flyers are looking for players that will make them a contender in the short term. Petry seems to make sense from that perspective (although I find it flawed).

Montreal retains $1M/year and Flyers retain $3.5M the money is a wash and it fits Petry better.

Oh, I think you are so underestimating ol' Fletch's obsession with Riskolainen...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I agree with all of that it feels like having to chose between the lesser of the two evils knowing someone up top wants a vet right hand shot to replace them walking away from Risto.

Very flawed but remember the brainiacs we are speaking of...

• Like 2

I do think I'd be out if the team trades for Petry.

IMO In the year of our lord two thousand and twenty two he's about 4 years past his sell-by date.

Getting older and slower on the back end doesn't seem to be the direction the league is going.

Unless this is a hedge because Ellis wants out or some weirdness. I am having a hard time seeing where the value in trading for Petry lies. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I do think I'd be out if the team trades for Petry.

IMO In the year of our lord two thousand and twenty two he's about 4 years past his sell-by date.

Getting older and slower on the back end doesn't seem to be the direction the league is going.

Unless this is a hedge because Ellis wants out or some weirdness. I am having a hard time seeing where the value in trading for Petry lies. 

I don't either unless there is more to the deal than what is being reported it doesn't make sense.

I'd love to see this team get away from getting hey, didn't you used to be players. I'm with Rad on JVR, he has one year left...if you can't deal him you let it run out. You don't prolong the wasted capspace, especially when the team will likely be no better than mediocre again next year. And I hope they're worse than that. Eventually they'll have to clean house.

• Like 1

Hockeywriters wrote --in reference to Petry/Flyers -- that Montreal will/should be looking for a 1st round pick OR high level prospect.   I'd get off the phone laughing my [Head?] off.

I'm with the others that would prefer to just ride out the last year of JVR's contract rather than trade to get older, slower, and almost as expensive.    I also agree with those who think it's just so asinine that the braintrust [sic] just may do it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm with Rad on JVR, he has one year left...if you can't deal him you let it run out.

To be clear, I'm saying they should retain up to half to get him out.

If they can't get anything for him under those circumstances (just getting him out for "futures" isn't a bad result) and there is a good reason to free up the $2.7M on a buyout that is worth the $1.333M hit in 23-24 I'm not against buying him out.

That's a lot to come together. I'd hope they can get something for him by retaining $3.5M whether at the deadline or in the offseason. That gives them $3.5M in cap space and something more useful.

That said, his -26 is glaring...

36 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Hockeywriters wrote --in reference to Petry/Flyers -- that Montreal will/should be looking for a 1st round pick OR high level prospect.   I'd get off the phone laughing my [Head?] off.

I'm with the others that would prefer to just ride out the last year of JVR's contract rather than trade to get older, slower, and almost as expensive.    I also agree with those who think it's just so asinine that the braintrust [sic] just may do it.

Here is the article I was talking about.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/02/one-fine-day-thoughts-after-flyers-2-capitals-1.html

But hell no including a goddammit 1st in that they lost their minds.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Here is the article I was talking about.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/02/one-fine-day-thoughts-after-flyers-2-capitals-1.html

But he'll no including a goddammit 1st in that they lost their minds.

Also notes that Flyers are probably on Petry's no-trade list...