The dust has settled (for now).....

Digityman

4 minutes ago, Digityman said:

(Ryan O'Reilly)

Pretty good post altogether.   Just Ryan O'Reilly is not a good comparable to the Risto situation, IMO.   O'Reilly was actually good in Buffalo and produced.  He just understandably wanted out.  Risto was not good.    Oddly, Buffalo arguably got a better package for Risto than for O'Reilly.  

7 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Ristolainen is better when not playing on one of the worst teams of the past decade.  (Ryan O'Reilly)

No HE is the reason the team is bad....

...some think.

Great post. I am cautiously optimistic.

But as you know many around here just can't wake up without bitching about something.

Such is life you can't make everyone happy.

I will feel better when they find a backup goalie.

I could see another forward being added.

A Cizikas, Palmieri, Bonino or Stepan type guy.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I could see another forward being added.

The more I think about this, the more I'm kinda like...eh...Bonino isn't a plus skater, he's hard as heck to play against Cizikas would be my first choice,  then maybe Palmieri...I think I want speed in that bottom 6. 

Even though I like Bonino's game a lot.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The more I think about this, the more I'm kinda like...eh...Bonino isn't a plus skater, he's hard as heck to play against Cizikas would be my first choice,  then maybe Palmieri...I think I want speed in that bottom 6. 

Even though I like Bonino's game a lot.

Cizikas is strictly a center (not saying he he has never played wing ever) and Palmieri is a winger can play either side.

So I guess it depends on the hole you want to try and fill or better said the kid you want to push and be prepared for if he isn't ready.

And my two biggest are the obvious Frost and Allison.

Sure Allison looked good at the end of last year but that still doesn't guarantee anything for the upcoming season.

And with Frost it was hinted by Chuckles he need to work on his core strength.

But did he?

Regardless I expect a vet to be sign as a just in case.

As yes Cizikas may be the best option.

However musky thinks he gets resigned but as I pointed out they have a lot of RFAs to resign with only like 17 mill in cap space so ol Lou might have to go real cheap in the bottom 6.

And if that is what Cizikas wants then you have Palmieri as a backup plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

I didn't see this all put together in one spot and I needed to see it broken out so....this is what happened in the past week or so.

fly.png.fd99c4638f99c449cffd8e75516defa3.png

Going into the 2021-2022 season the Flyers top priorities were:

1. Top-pair defensemen for Provorov to play with (and mentor the kids).   Ellis
  2. A shoot-first top 6 winger.   Atkinson (I think we need another but not sure it can/will happen)
  3. To get tougher to play against.  Ristolainen (and Atkinson & maybe a little of Ellis honestly)
  4. A backup goalie capable of playing 20-30 games.  

Of the 4 trades, the only one that is questionable is the Ristolainen trade including the 1st round pick.  The issues with the 2nd round 2023 pick is laughable.  2023?  There is a 25% chance a 2nd round player makes the NHL and that wouldn't be until 2027-2028.  Pretty sure a few us might be dead by then and even if we all make it, Chuck has a couple years to recoup that pick.  

So, for the 1st round pick.  Here's a list of the Flyers first round picks since 2004 (in no particular order):

Steve Downie, Jay O'Brien, Sam Morin, German Rubtsov, Luca Sbisa, Cam York, Nolan Patrick, Scott Laughton, Morgan Frost, JVR, Joel Farabee, Travis Sanheim, Ivan Provorov, Travis Konecny, Sean Couturier, Claude Giroux

Green are better than Ristolainen.   7 of 16  44%   

Yellow might be better Ristolainen.    4 of 16  25%

Red are not better Ristolainen.   5 of 16.   31%

You could argue Laughton/Frost should be green but you could also argue Ristolainen is better when not playing on one of the worst teams of the past decade.  (Ryan O'Reilly)

Even if all the "maybes" end up being better, that's 11 of 16 or a 69% chance that first round pick turns out to be better than Ristolainen is now and that player would not be ready until the 2024-2025ish season.   With York, Allison, Frost, Foerster, Zamula, Laczynski, Andrae, Wisdom, Brink, Tuomaala all with legit chances of making/sticking to the NHL, do they really need another "maybe".   I'm all for stock piling picks and prospects and the Flyers have done that for years now that's why the cupboards are pretty full right now.  

The fact is, the defense is better now and with York & Zamula coming up quickly, it looks to get even better.  

Provorov - Ellis

Sanheim - Braun (Risto)

Morin - Risto (Braun)

York, Zamula

Offensively things look a little better as well.   Atkinson adds the shoot first mentality the first line was sorely missing.  I can see 30+ for Atkinson this year, I'll put $1 on it.   I'd like to see another top 6 goal scorer added but those are hard to come by.   Lindblom will be better, TK will hopefully prove last year was an anomaly and Frost comes in healthy with something to prove.   Removing Patrick just opened the spot for Frost to step into.  

Giroux - Couturier - Atkinson 

JVR - Hayes - Konecny

Lindblom - Frost - Farabee

??? - Laughton - NAK

Things are looking good.  I'd still like to see JVR moved just because I don't like him.  

UFA's out there..... Eberle is being shopped by the Islanders, Tarasenko is still out there.   Landeskog anyone?   Jaden Schwartz has 50pt potential. 

Chuck needs a 1B goalie in case Hart stumbles again.   Halak, Bernier?

/rant

Great post :PostAward4:

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Cizikas/Palmieri would be a good pickup.  I'm a little nervous to fill all the spots and not have anything for the kids to play for.  Right now there is one spot maybe two.  I do like having a veteran though to fill in should a kid falter. 

Edited by Digityman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Cizikas/Palmieri would be a good pickup.  I'm a little nervous to fill all the spots and not have anything for the kids to play for.  Right now there is one spot maybe two.  I do like having a veteran though to fill in should a kid falter. 

Their price tag could change my mind as well.

31 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Cizikas/Palmieri would be a good pickup.  I'm a little nervous to fill all the spots and not have anything for the kids to play for. 

This has been the Flyers problem for a long time. If there is no spot, step the FCK up and take one

56 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Yes I understand I don't want to block this kid I think he has a nasty shot...

• Like 1

I can honestly say i don't know what the fcuk to expect this upcoming season.

I am not buying the season package....now if they look good by the end of the year i may buy the half season....till then they have a lot to prove.

And i mean everyone under the umbrella of the Flyers, owners to management to gate personel....to the cop directing traffic into the parking lot.

I hope i have a reason to fork over the cash...i really don't want another year of bad hockey.

Otherwise i'll just catch the lowlights on ESPN........yuck.

I feel bad i say we need to rebuild and can't suffer through it.....

🙏

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can honestly say i don't know what the fcuk to expect this upcoming season.

I am not buying the season package....now if they look good by the end of the year i may buy the half season....till then they have a lot to prove.

And i mean everyone under the umbrella of the Flyers, owners to management to gate personel....to the cop directing traffic into the parking lot.

I hope i have a reason to fork over the cash...i really don't want another year of bad hockey.

Otherwise i'll just catch the lowlights on ESPN........yuck.

I feel bad i say we need to rebuild and can't suffer through it.....

🙏

If a lot of things go our way...top 5 team. If Hart and the defense stink, bottom 5...literally could go to either extreme. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Pretty good post altogether.   Just Ryan O'Reilly is not a good comparable to the Risto situation, IMO.   O'Reilly was actually good in Buffalo and produced.  He just understandably wanted out.  Risto was not good.    Oddly, Buffalo arguably got a better package for Risto than for O'Reilly.  

It hurts your position when the player is trying to wiggle away from his second organization.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Digityman said:

I didn't see this all put together in one spot and I needed to see it broken out so....this is what happened in the past week or so.

fly.png.fd99c4638f99c449cffd8e75516defa3.png

Going into the 2021-2022 season the Flyers top priorities were:

1. Top-pair defensemen for Provorov to play with (and mentor the kids).   Ellis
  2. A shoot-first top 6 winger.   Atkinson (I think we need another but not sure it can/will happen)
  3. To get tougher to play against.  Ristolainen (and Atkinson & maybe a little of Ellis honestly)
  4. A backup goalie capable of playing 20-30 games.  

Of the 4 trades, the only one that is questionable is the Ristolainen trade including the 1st round pick.  The issues with the 2nd round 2023 pick is laughable.  2023?  There is a 25% chance a 2nd round player makes the NHL and that wouldn't be until 2027-2028.  Pretty sure a few us might be dead by then and even if we all make it, Chuck has a couple years to recoup that pick.  

So, for the 1st round pick.  Here's a list of the Flyers first round picks since 2004 (in no particular order):

Steve Downie, Jay O'Brien, Sam Morin, German Rubtsov, Luca Sbisa, Cam York, Nolan Patrick, Scott Laughton, Morgan Frost, JVR, Joel Farabee, Travis Sanheim, Ivan Provorov, Travis Konecny, Sean Couturier, Claude Giroux

Green are better than Ristolainen.   7 of 16  44%   

Yellow might be better Ristolainen.    4 of 16  25%

Red are not better Ristolainen.   5 of 16.   31%

You could argue Laughton/Frost should be green but you could also argue Ristolainen is better when not playing on one of the worst teams of the past decade.  (Ryan O'Reilly)

Even if all the "maybes" end up being better, that's 11 of 16 or a 69% chance that first round pick turns out to be better than Ristolainen is now and that player would not be ready until the 2024-2025ish season.   With York, Allison, Frost, Foerster, Zamula, Laczynski, Andrae, Wisdom, Brink, Tuomaala all with legit chances of making/sticking to the NHL, do they really need another "maybe".   I'm all for stock piling picks and prospects and the Flyers have done that for years now that's why the cupboards are pretty full right now.  

The fact is, the defense is better now and with York & Zamula coming up quickly, it looks to get even better.  

Provorov - Ellis

Sanheim - Braun (Risto)

Morin - Risto (Braun)

York, Zamula

Offensively things look a little better as well.   Atkinson adds the shoot first mentality the first line was sorely missing.  I can see 30+ for Atkinson this year, I'll put $1 on it.   I'd like to see another top 6 goal scorer added but those are hard to come by.   Lindblom will be better, TK will hopefully prove last year was an anomaly and Frost comes in healthy with something to prove.   Removing Patrick just opened the spot for Frost to step into.  

JVR - Hayes - Konecny

Lindblom - Frost - Farabee

??? - Laughton - NAK

Things are looking good.  I'd still like to see JVR moved just because I don't like him.  

UFA's out there..... Eberle is being shopped by the Islanders, Tarasenko is still out there.   Landeskog anyone?   Jaden Schwartz has 50pt potential. 

Chuck needs a 1B goalie in case Hart stumbles again.   Halak, Bernier?

/rant

Some valid points in there Digs. Mid 1st round this year did look like a crap shoot...except for the fact the #1 ranked Goalie Walstat (sp) was sitting there for the taking. Who knows maybe this Belarusian wonder we took in the 3rd is a steal, but on the surface, missing out on the top ranked Goalie hurt. This organization badly needs quality prospect depth there. 

12 hours ago, jammer2 said:

If a lot of things go our way...top 5 team. If Hart and the defense stink, bottom 5...literally could go to either extreme. 

This team as of today just feels different which is what most of us wanted.  Jake is gone, new leadership in the lockroom....It just feels like it changed.  Will it be better, worse or the same production/points wise.....not sure   

Players typically don't turn bad.   Hart, TK, Provorov, Lindblom (had a small excuse), and to some extent Hayes (although I fear it won't be much better on average) - they all didn't forget how to play.   They had off years and for whatever reason, they all had them at the same time.  I'd like to believe they all come back better at least, which should push them into the 6-8th spot just on that alone.   

Adding in a stronger Lindblom and a older Farabee, Allison and Frost who I'm convinced is going to be the first Flyer to win the Calder (even though I don't actually think he is eligible any more due to the 20 games the previous year).  Frost will be like Giroux was when he first came into the league.  He might start on the Phantoms to start the year but he'll quickly be called up and just take it from there.   He's got potential to be a 50+ point guy and if he has someone like Allison/Atkinson on his line, he'll hit 50+ assists in a few seasons.  I just wish he would have had the chance to live with Briere because I see a lot of Giroux similarities in Frost.  Size, weight, vision, hands, overall play....He might not be the Flyers first line center but he's got lots of potential if he can stay healthy.

Anyway, then Fletch fixed 3 of the 4 biggest issues on the team which could potentially push them up to the 4-6th.   And if it all comes together as it's dreamed about by Fletch, they are finishing the season 1-4th with home ice.

My guess is they finish 4th.

12 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Who knows maybe this Belarusian wonder we took in the 3rd is a steal, but on the surface, missing out on the top ranked Goalie hurt. This organization badly needs quality prospect depth there. 

Funny because for a while there goalies and defense was what the Flyers actually had.   

Current goalies in the system:  Sandstrom, Ustimenko, Ersson, Tomek, Fedotov, Kolosov   (Thanks @OccamsRazor)

Sandstrom was supposed to be the guy at one point I think.  I saw him play once, he got lit up badly and pulled in the first period.  

25gp, 3.27gaa  .885  for the Royals in 2019-20

11gp, 3.19gaa  .903 for the Phantoms in 2020-21

Ustimenko - 6'3", 187lbs, 22yrs.   Lyon's backup?

46gp, 1.78gaa, .927 in 2018-19 with Dynamo.  

31gp, 2.40gaa, .919 in 2019-20 with the Royals.   Royals weren't great either.  Pretty good numbers.

Samuel Ersson - 6'2", 178lbs, 21yrs. 

35gp, 2.90gaa, .895 in 2019-29 with Brynas (Sweden)

42gp, 2.96gaa, .911 in 2020-21 with Brynas (Sweden)

Fedotov's numbers are pretty good actually and I'd like to see him come over.   He's a huge man.  24 years old, 6'8" and 200lbs.  Could he come over and be Lyon's backup in the AHL or play in the ECHL?

32gp, 2.10gaa, .931 in 2019-20 for Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL)

26gp, 2.21gaa, .925 in 2020-21 for Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL)

Tomek was the next hero in line.  I know nothing about him.  

32gp, 2.34gaa  .927 in 2019-20 for HK Kukla (Slovakia)

14gp, 2.51gaa  .899 in 2020-21 for SaiPa (Liiga)

Kolosov - way too early for numbers.  6'1", 187lbs.  19 years old.  Still needs to grow into his body.

NHL:  Hart & Free Agent

AHL:  Lyon and Fedotov

ECHL: Sanstrom & ?

Edited by Digityman
OccamsRazor taught me....
  • Like 2

Fletcher's moves did increase their salary cap flexibility.  If the team flames out this year, they could trade G and Couts at the deadline for a decent return and the team would have a lot of space and look a lot different next year (and likely be terrible).

Found this site which picks the lines for fantasy sports.  "Players ratings by corsica hockey".   

I was thinking Atkinson would be up with Giroux/Couturier but I don't like Konecny with Hayes.

image.thumb.png.e3542d39eb08f555417252568096d1ba.png

I was thinking more of: 

JVR - Hayes - NAK

Farabee - Frost - Konecny

Lindblom - Laughton - Allison

That 2nd line would be more checking than the 3rd.

3rd is young but has a lot of potential.

3 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

If the team flames out this year, they could trade G and Couts at the deadline for a decent return and the team would have a lot of space and look a lot different next year (and likely be terrible)

I could see them trading Giroux at the deadline but not Couturier.  Couturier becomes the captain for the next 5 years.  Unfortunately the way it looks now with the flat cap, returns are down but Giroux could fetch a substantial return for a team that's going for it in the playoffs. 

I just can't see them finishing out of the PO's again which means they don't trade anyone, then resign Giroux which honestly is a bad hockey decision.  I like Giroux and want to see him finish his career here but trading him is the right 'business' decision I think.

32 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Current goalies in the system:  Sandstrom, Ustimenko, Ersson, Tomek, Fedotov, Kolosov

FIFY

Ersson and Ustimenko are about to apply some heavy pressure to Sandstrom.

He should be pushing hard for the backup spot behind Hart by the end of this and push whichever backup they sign out the door or his time maybe up soon here.

He turns 25 in January and if he isn't ready maybe you can throw him on the bust pile.

I hope not.

28 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Found this site which picks the lines for fantasy sports.  "Players ratings by corsica hockey".   

I was thinking Atkinson would be up with Giroux/Couturier but I don't like Konecny with Hayes.

image.thumb.png.e3542d39eb08f555417252568096d1ba.png

I was thinking more of: 

JVR - Hayes - NAK

Farabee - Frost - Konecny

Lindblom - Laughton - Allison

That 2nd line would be more checking than the 3rd.

3rd is young but has a lot of potential.

I like they're lineup.

Prefer Farabee's speed and shot on the second...JVR can float on the 3rd.

Not sure Giroux holds up on the top line.

I wouldn't mind reuniting the Oskar, Coots and TK that was so amazing out the gates before Oskar got diagnosed

The ol Boston Terrier second line!!!

Farabee Hayes Atkinson

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Digityman said:

This team as of today just feels different which is what most of us wanted.  Jake is gone, new leadership in the lockroom....It just feels like it changed.  Will it be better, worse or the same production/points wise.....not sure   

The team needed a shake up. Unlike the team that should have re-loaded the gun with Jagr back in 2012 (OMG, we're all old) just shuffling the same lineup out there with some "tweaks" wasn't going to get it done IMO.

Ol' Fletch has altered the foundation of the team in a pretty fundamental way.

11 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I just can't see them finishing out of the PO's again

Well, I wouldn't say they're "definitely a playoff team" but it will be an even-year. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

17 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I just can't see them finishing out of the PO's again which means they don't trade anyone, then resign Giroux

Unless this squad completely ****'s the bed I don't see them not re-signing Giroux.