2021-22 HF.net Fantasy Hockey Pre-Season Discussion

pilldoc

If you participated in the HF.net FHL "LAST" year, do you plan on participating this year.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. If you participated in the HF.net FHL "LAST" year, do you plan on participating this year.

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure
  2. 2. If you have "NEVER PARTICIPATED" in the HF.net FHL, would you like to join this year?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure / Would like more info.

Good Morning,

As the calendar turns to the start of August it is once again that time for many us to be thinking about one of our favorite past times in the hockey world …. Fantasy Hockey Leagues (FHL).

Hopefully the woes of COVID affecting the past 2 FHL seasons are behind us and we will once again have a normal season.

I am asking that you sign up by Monday, September 20th as it takes time for me to coordinate all the teams and getting them set up.

IMPORTANT DATES:

• Mid-September: NHL Prospects Showcase in Tampa
  • Mid-Late September: Training camp begins
  • Sept. 28: 2021 preseason begins

The league plans to return to its normal October-to-April scheduling, a full 82-game regular season with a target date of October 12 for opening night, but this is contingent on the COVID-19 pandemic and the Government of Canada reducing its COVID-19 cross-border travel restrictions

The HF.net Fantasy League is now open for sign-ups.  Our “FREE” FHL is currently a two (2) Tier League.

• Tier 1 = All Star League. This League is by invite only by finishing top 6 in last years All Star League and finishing top 6 in last year’s Tier 2 Bantam League (Conn Smythe League).
  • Tier 2 = Bantam League.  The Bantam League will be comprise of at least one (1) team known as the Conn Smythe League.  If needed, a second Bantam League known as the Jack Adams League will be added.  Both of these Leagues are open to everyone.  No experience is required. 

I will be sending out both PM’s and e-mails to those who participated last year inquiring to your desire to participate this year or not.

I am also highly encouraging our new members from the Minnesota Wild Forum to participate.  We would love to have many of you join our League.  We have a wonderful FHL and you will be a great addition to our league.

We will be using the same format as last year with YAHOO as our FHL platform. 

It will again be a Head-to-Head: Categories type FHL. In a Head-to-Head League, your team will square off in a weekly matchup against another fantasy team to see who can compile the best stats across a number of different categories.  This again will be a DAILY roster setting league.

The roster will remain the same as last year.  It was suggested 2 years ago that we drop a d-man slot and add a utility position.  Therefore this change will remain in effect for the upcoming season.

Roster Size will consist of a total of 21 players with the starting line-up of 16 players. That leaves 4 for the bench and  2 spots for players on IR when needed. The breakdown for the roster is as follows:  

• Centers = 3 / Left Wing = 3 / Right Wing = 3 / D-men = 4 / Utility Player = 1
  • Goalie = 2 
  • Bench = 4 (forwards, defenseman or a goalie)
  • IR+ (if needed) = 3  (IR+ means if a player is day to day you can put them on IR)
  • We added an additional IR / N/A spot due to COVID issues.

Last year we expanded  the rosters do to COVID issues.  This will not change and will remain the same as last season.

The scoring categories have NOT changed and WILL REMAIN THE SAME as last year.

The top 6 teams will advance to the playoffs.  This has not changed.

As in the past  years the President's Trophy Winner for all the Leagues (the GM who has the most points at the end of the regular season) will automatically be invited into the All Star League for the following year regardless how they fair in the playoffs.

A draft date and time has not been determined yet and will be announced as soon as possible.

(I would expect a potential Draft to be held sometime during the week of Oct. 4th)

I will be listing/sending out invites to the ALL STAR League as soon as YAHOO opens up the Fantasy Hockey Leagues on their platform.

Please send a PM to me if you are interested in participating this year along with signing up in the poll above.

thank you!

~pilldoc

HF.net FHL League Commissioner

Edited by pilldoc
  • Thanks 1

• pilldoc changed the title to 2021-22 HF.net Fantasy Hockey Pre-Season Discussion

@pilldoc

I voted an easy yes, my Green Star Blades will be returning.
Also, remember I have what I renamed the Bronze Owls, a team I took over mid season last year that will be needing a GM.
I can continue to work with that team, but the preference is finding a new GM for that slot.

Looking forward to seeing familiar faces return and new ones join in!

Oh, and BTW, Doc, its not a big deal, but on your polls, it makes people voted on BOTH..... the second poll doesn't really apply to returning players, but it makes you put an answer.... I did that I will be "joining", even though I already answered on the first poll I would be returning.

New players should be able to vote whether they are interested in the second poll, but the first poll would be irrelevant to them.
Just thought I'd point that out in case you get people confused about that.... or maybe its just me with a blonde moment. :bigteeth: 

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Also, remember I have what I renamed the Bronze Owls, a team I took over mid season last year that will be needing a GM.
I can continue to work with that team, but the preference is finding a new GM for that slot.

Yes ... I figured as much.  Sadly my son is still in trouble (again with unauthorized online activity) and I will NOT allow him to participate, which is sad because he did a great job drafting.   I was hoping to find someone else.  I know it gets hard to manage 3 FHL.

11 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Oh, and BTW, Doc, its not a big deal, but on your polls, it makes people voted on BOTH..... the second poll doesn't really apply to returning players, but it makes you put an answer.... I did that I will be "joining", even though I already answered on the first poll I would be returning.

Yeah ... I know that but there is no way around it. :(   I hope many returning GM's understand.

I still can't believe @yave1964 and I tied in the Championship Round in the Conn Smythe an I lost because he beat me in 1-0 in the regular season ......

Oh BTW way are you interested in Eichel in NAHANA? ;)  He is up for grabs and just may be exposed when we have to announce our keepers ......

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Yes ... I figured as much.  Sadly my son is still in trouble (again with unauthorized online activity) and I will NOT allow him to participate, which is sad because he did a great job drafting.   I was hoping to find someone else.  I know it gets hard to manage 3 FHL.

Yeah ... I know that but there is no way around it. :(   I hope many returning GM's understand.

I still can't believe @yave1964 and I tied in the Championship Round in the Conn Smythe an I lost because he beat me in 1-0 in the regular season ......

Oh BTW way are you interested in Eichel in NAHANA? ;)  He is up for grabs and just may be exposed when we have to announce our keepers ......

Well, if need be, I can run it.
Running three teams IS a bit more work, but surprisingly, I managed it well enough.

If you can find a GM to take over, then great, but if not, don't worry, the team will be professionally and enthusiastically run by me.
Integrity of the league and the match ups and all that :) 

Well I was in three leagues won two, lost 7-6 in nahana otherwise it woulda been a clean sweep. Not sure if I should come back because the challenge is not really there.

JUST KIDDING!!! OF FREAKING COURSE i AM COMING BACK IN ANY AND ALL LEAGUES TO DEFEND MY THROWN IN TWO OF THEM AND TO TRY TO GET PAST J0E IN THE OTHER. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Well I was in three leagues won two, lost 7-6 in nahana otherwise it woulda been a clean sweep. Not sure if I should come back because the challenge is not really there.

JUST KIDDING!!! OF FREAKING COURSE i AM COMING BACK IN ANY AND ALL LEAGUES TO DEFEND MY THROWN IN TWO OF THEM AND TO TRY TO GET PAST J0E IN THE OTHER. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!

So I take yuh want to help out in Conn Smythe again 😉

I want a rematch with you in Conn Smythe 😊

• Thanks 1

@yave1964

@Hale

@J0e Th0rnton

@bbgarnett

@pilldoc

@TropicalFruitGirl26

@Ladyneat

@ruxpin

@hf101

@Jagged Ice

@Mad Dog

@FD19372

A bit slow at work ...here are the final standings from last year ....

image.png.ab25473b07ad139e89c200db5a9a63a3.png

Congrats to @yave1964 for your stellar performance last year.  Top 6 will automatically be invited back to All Star again.  

image.png.d90d6dd5063e8b50ba6c11fe138b48dd.png

Congrats again to @yave1964 for winning a very tough match-up vs. @pilldoc to earn the Championship.  (For those who did not know, it was a final 8-8 tie and the tie-breaker went to @yave1964 since he won the season match-up 1-0).  It was that close.

Since the top 4 in Conn Smythe already have teams in All Star,  the next 4 teams in All Star will be invited back (if they so choose).  That would be Jagged / tony / 

In years past Brent, who has qualified before in All Star, has requested to remain in Conn Smythe.  Though I have not checked with him yet, I would  guess he will want to remain in Conn Smythe again this year.  That leaves @ruxpin who will be asked to remain in All Star.

I will ask if @Mad Dog is participating this year.  If he is, he will move up and complete the 12 teams for All Star.  Sadly that means @hf101will be relegated to Conn Smythe.  

If anyone in All Stars declines to participate, then @hf101 will move up.

As of now I am looking for 2 GM's for Conn Smythe (assuming everyone else is returning). I need to reach out to them.  I want to personally thank @TropicalFruitGirl26/ @Hale / and @yave1964 for taking on another team to fill out the league last year when we were short on GM's.  Along with myself, those 3 also have teams in All Star and NAHANA and it can be difficult managing 3 FH teams.  @TropicalFruitGirl26 did a tremendous job filling in for a GM who had departed due to other issues. (She finished 3rd with a team she did not even draft).

@yave1964 has already mentioned to me he would like to defend his title in Conn Smythe.  I will keep everyone updated as soon as the YAHOO Fantasy Platform is open for the new season.

image.png.a586e93d76cc320e0824d4ae5103bab3.png

image.png.e1a18f44cfc258d1130660d857ffda5a.png

thanks,

~doc

3 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

To be fair, the Sharks after Jones and Dubnyk have nowhere to go but up. Hill and Reimer are going to seem like vezina winners

who are you betting on to get the starting gig? Camp battle or Reimer?

FWIW …. I’m really not happy about Jones backing up Hart. 😒

And…. To make matters worse I have Hart in NAHANA. … I’m really not happy about Jones. 

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

who are you betting on to get the starting gig? Camp battle or Reimer?

FWIW …. I’m really not happy about Jones backing up Hart. 😒

And…. To make matters worse I have Hart in NAHANA. … I’m really not happy about Jones. 

You should be. once the coach sees how bad jones is, hart will get twice as many starts.

Tandem split seems to be how teams operate these days. Unless you have a vasi or a hellboy......Or if Jones is your 2nd goalie and then you just won't play him

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

So how many GM's do we need ? 

With MD bowing out of All Star… you move back up into All Star. That opens up another spot in Conn Smythe. Again assuming everyone else comes back I’m look at 3, possibly more depending on who does not return.

• Like 1

I have a few draft picks I’d like to use in the keeper league. All ready for the All Star League. If you still needs GM in the Conn Smythe let me know and I’ll fill in.  2021-22 let’s go. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hale said:

I have a few draft picks I’d like to use in the keeper league. All ready for the All Star League. If you still needs GM in the Conn Smythe let me know and I’ll fill in.  2021-22 let’s go. 

You did great in your first year in NAHANA.  Will keep you posted about Conn Smythe. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 11:37 PM, Mad Dog said:

I'll probably pass this year.  Too busy at work and at home.  One league is plenty for me...

So with MD bowing out this year that means @hf101 remains in All Star.

image.png.215e80d51f6d838f86f4595a7c2da78d.png

So I just renewed the All Star Team.  The way it shakes out, if you participated in All Star League last year, you ALL will participate in the All Star League this year.

image.png.6536f209bf622bcad9d002482d50dff7.png

image.png.2750b6563c9ce63a87ea1a2f2580654e.png

image.png.be7561f402112c2fa726f9599e9e93f2.png

Please let me know if you are NOT planning on participating this year.

FYI .... Due to lack of interest from others, there may or may not be a Conn Smythe League this year. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all so sorry I had no idea we were still doing a league again this season.  I've just been a bit off on things this year. I for whatever reason didn't get an email saying we'd been renewed but I have found that Gmail is probably sending yahoo sports messages to spam. I also was somehow not following any of these threads so had no idea there was anything new. Again my apologies but I will participate as it looks like I'm renewed and in  and  October 3rd should be fine for the draft.

Thanks again for al the hard work in setting things up every year.

Edit: Hmm looks like you at me but I must have somehow missed that completely. 

Edited by bbgarnett