Wild sign Fiala to a one year deal

IllaZilla

I am sure for this year Fiala will try to play his best for the Wild team to sign a better future contract . I am glad also that we will have him at least one year more and hopefully, we will see his smart play for 82 games in 2021-2022 season. Definitely, he has a nice talent shown to us already 2 years in a row. Actually , he became a star in our team a season before. And last season he was 2nd after Kaprizov in points (40= 20 goals;20 assists)out of 50 games as well.

Kevin Fiala Signs 1-year, $5.1 million contract extension with the Minnesota Wild

I share my thoughts on Fiala's extension here.  No matter what in regards to Fiala, they are going to have to work some things out before they really are able discuss keeping him in the fold long-term.  Yet it is interesting how some players are treated as if they have nothing to prove and how others seem to be treated as though they have to prove it year after year.  

• Like 1

So we avoided abitration...I think that's great as Fiala's #'s would've given him more than we wanted to shell out.
But then why did Fiala sign the 1 year and not gamble on that? Odds in his favor. Still weird imo.
Now we go through the same again next year and if he lights it up again, He'll be looking for even more aginst even less Cap space.
Either way, He'll be busting his a$$ which is good for him and good/bad for us.
OR, Do the Wild then trade him at some point next season to get a solid 1C (if available) 
I'm not sure how a 1 year deal helps much in Kaprisov's decision as I doubt he's considering anything other than himself and his agent.

He has arbitration rights and maybe he does want to stick around?  If that's true, considering the kind of crappy treatment it would be a true testament of his loyalty.  Loyalty is something I think matters a lot to Bill Guerin.  We saw how things turned out with Brennan Menell.  No matter how good he played, Minnesota wasn't going to give him a chance after he bolted to the KHL.  

So I'm hoping they can work a long-term deal out.  But the 1-year deal should make him a very attractive trade-able asset, not that I want to see him be dealt.  

Good thing is he'll still be an RFA and on his side of it...Fiala still has arbitration rights.  So both sides get to keep some cards in this long game of contract poker.  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

As reported by Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek on the Saturday night broadcast, the New Jersey Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald has been open about potentially trading the team’s 2022 first-round pick, which will be no lower than seventh overall (pending Tuesday’s draft lottery), for an “impact player.” And, reportedly, that player might just be Kevin Fiala.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/platform/amp/2022/5/8/23062324/nhl-trade-rumors-kevin-fiala-minnesota-wild-new-jersey-devils

15 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

As reported by Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek on the Saturday night broadcast, the New Jersey Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald has been open about potentially trading the team’s 2022 first-round pick, which will be no lower than seventh overall (pending Tuesday’s draft lottery), for an “impact player.” And, reportedly, that player might just be Kevin Fiala.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/platform/amp/2022/5/8/23062324/nhl-trade-rumors-kevin-fiala-minnesota-wild-new-jersey-devils

Fiala's play right now reminds me of him Pre-Boldy.
Not questioning effort at all, But that magic is anything but clicking with that line.
Was this season really just an audition for other teams since Fiala knew the Wild would be in a hard place to sign him again?
Would he take a structured contract (if that's even possible) to stay here?
Meaning less up front and incentive loaded during 4-5 years down the road as we get closet to less for 11 +20...

Currently Imo, We're wasting 6M per season on an average player at best. We have a slim chance to keep a potential "Impact Player".

4 hours ago, Tomdog said:

If the Wild can get a single digit 1st round pick + any type of prospect, as rumored, I hope they take it. 

I can agree with this.

As well as Kevin Fiala's game has started to round into, I still believe, that long term, he is more valuable as a 'peak' trade chip than he is as an actual player for the Wild.

Even though the team is very competitive, it still has holes to fill (the elephant in the room is STILL the legit 1C that they may or may not have in their system), and, especially if they want to settled in as a long term Cup contender, would do well to trade in a Kevin Fiala at his peak for a pick or two, or a pick and a player, or something along those lines (especially to your point, if the pick is a single digit pick), to help stock the organization with a better level of talent.

After the three year dark cloud of Parise and Suter's buyouts is over, I am sure, if the Wild did everything else right with the draft, minor league players and picks, they will then be able to attract a premium free agent or two to further their yearly cause for a Cup.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:05 PM, Alexandron said:

I am sure for this year Fiala will try to play his best for the Wild team to sign a better future contract . I am glad also that we will have him at least one year more and hopefully, we will see his smart play for 82 games in 2021-2022 season. Definitely, he has a nice talent shown to us already 2 years in a row. Actually , he became a star in our team a season before. And last season he was 2nd after Kaprizov in points (40= 20 goals;20 assists)out of 50 games as well.

I placed a message above in August of 2021. This 2021-2022 season Fiala is again in points 2nd after Kaprizov (85 points (33 goals;52 assists; +/- +23)) in 82 games. In my opinion, talks about his trade during the playoffs season are absolutely not acceptable, because he should be more focused on his play but not to think/not to be disturbed about his trade during such a crucial time.  That playoffs time can make him famous if he will play well and be productive, and maybe with his help our team will get a Stanley Cup for this such a best season in a Wild history. Who knows when he will get this chance to be a Stanley Cup winner or at least to reach Stanley Cup finals. We definitely have this chance now. Blues are a beatable team, no questions. With what we have seen in this playoffs from our team we did not see a lot last year playoffs, because of big positive changes happened in our team since last fall. We should be more focused now on our playoffs wins and absolutely nothing else. 

5 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I placed a message above in August of 2021. This 2021-2022 season Fiala is again in points 2nd after Kaprizov (85 points (33 goals;52 assists; +/- +23)) in 82 games. In my opinion, talks about his trade during the playoffs season are absolutely not acceptable, because he should be more focused on his play but not to think/not to be disturbed about his trade during such a crucial time.  That playoffs time can make him famous if he will play well and be productive, and maybe with his help our team will get a Stanley Cup for this such a best season in a Wild history. Who knows when he will get this chance to be a Stanley Cup winner or at least to reach Stanley Cup finals. We definitely have this chance now. Blues are a beatable team, no questions. With what we have seen in this playoffs from our team we did not see a lot last year playoffs, because of big positive changes happened in our team since last fall. We should be more focused now on our playoffs wins and absolutely nothing else. 

Agree 1000% that trade talks with Fiala, his agent, or even the media (if there is any to begin with) should NOT be brought up at this time because the Wild have bigger goals in mind at the moment.

But, this is just us message board people spit balling here, so we are completely within our rights to talk about that. It's what we do.
We aren't on the ice, we don't have Fiala or  his agent on our contacts list, and Bill Guerin would be smart enough to not start that with the media outlets (again, IF there is are any such ideas...maybe Guerin has future plans for Fiala on the team), so that just leaves us talking message board heads and what we think, what we would like to see and all that good stuff!

I stand by my feelings that I think Fiala, for the long run, and at his peak, should be traded for the maximum haul the Wild can get, but if for the here and now, he has a chance to help the Wild win a championship, then I certainly like him here and now. :) 

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:
I stand by my feelings that I think Fiala, for the long run, and at his peak, should be traded for the maximum haul the Wild can get, but if for the here and now, he has a chance to help the Wild win a championship, then I certainly like him here and now. :) 

Since the talk is the Wild have to trade Fiala or Dumba, What you say makes all the sense in the Hockey world.
Then what comes to mind for me is, Spending the $$ to keep Fiala gives us a solid scorer and the money worth.
But Keeping Dumba and not Fiala, Now we're spending $$ on a less than productive product. Dumba's not going to improve by this time so it's not fiscally responsible to waste the money on him.

1 minute ago, ClusterChuck said:

Since the talk is the Wild have to trade Fiala or Dumba, What you say makes all the sense in the Hockey world.
Then what comes to mind for me is, Spending the $$ to keep Fiala gives us a solid scorer and the money worth.
But Keeping Dumba and not Fiala, Now we're spending $$ on a less than productive product. Dumba's not going to improve by this time so it's not fiscally responsible to waste the money on him.

I actually like Mat Dumba more than most on this Wild board, but I DO understand why people get furious with him.
And I'd be on board with moving him too (if they can), give him a fresh start elsewhere, while getting out from under his contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I actually like Mat Dumba more than most on this Wild board, but I DO understand why people get furious with him.
And I'd be on board with moving him too (if they can), give him a fresh start elsewhere, while getting out from under his contract.

Since his first injury from a fight, He hasn't been nearly the same player. Now with Evason and the current mindset of the team having the D jump into the play, Matt doesn't seem to do very well there.
I agree, A fresh start and we need to trim the fat. 

11 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

I think the the Wild should trade BOTH Fiala and Dumba.

I don't think the reported offer from the Devels will be on the table anymore, but if it is the wild would be fools to not take it.

Bumba has regressed and is what he is at this point. I they sign him it should be at a pay cut of at least $3 mill.

Freeing up money would allow them to retool.