Flyers sign Derick Brassard

Samifan

5 hours ago, tucson83 said:

look at redwings

I'm looking at them and they have been beyond horrendous for a couple of years now.  Its gonna tale Yzerman several seasons to fix that mess.  Holland brutalized that club.

image.png.caed7094f730fb8f9bbe88a56eeded95.png

5 hours ago, tucson83 said:

steve y brought in a ton on vets, he's a bad gm?  lou brought in vets for the islanders, he's bad gm too

Are you seriously going to compare Yzerman (TB version) and Lou Lamoriello (NYI)  to Chucky ... LOL

giphy.gif

That's like comparing a Boy Scout who just obtained the rank of Eagle Scout to a Boy Scout who is a Tenderfoot.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Matter of fact this team as assembled is barely a playoff contender. 

I'll quibble that they're a heluva lot more of a playoff contender than the "definitely a playoff" teams of the past, oh, nine years or so.

Essentially, from where I sit, this team now just needs Hart to be a competent starting goaltender and not stand on his head to get them there.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, radoran said:

I'll quibble that they're a heluva lot more of a playoff contender than the "definitely a playoff" teams of the past, oh, nine years or so.

Essentially, from where I sit, this team now just needs Hart to be a competent starting goaltender and not stand on his head to get them there.

Touche’…. I would agree as long as I see a defensive unit that is improved. Hart rebounding is a must.  The metro is gonna be a crap shoot in the middle.

Carolina, if they get goaltending, along with Isles sit at the top of the division, IMO. 

The Devils and Blue Jackets are in the bottom. 

That leaves the Pens / Caps / Flyers/ and Rangers fighting for 2 playoff births.

The Flyers may play better hockey and still may not make the playoffs.

But I totally understand and agree with your POV. It starts with Hart playing better than last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

The Flyers may play better hockey and still may not make the playoffs.

This is the unfortunate truth.

I want to see a team play better and with determination. When this team just flat out quit last year it was enraging.

Give me a reason to care and I'll sing along forever...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

12 hours ago, radoran said:

When this team just flat out quit last year it was enraging.

I found it liberating.

Also, I don't think they quit.  I just don't think they were or are very good.

If Hart ends up being the Hart we thought, he will cover up a lot of mistakes.

Edited by SCFlyguy

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The Wade is ready for the challenge!!!!

Bring it!!!!

They will probably put him on a line with Brassard and Thompson. Playing with those two highly skilled guys should really bring out his best. Allison should be on the second line, I really believe he will be one of our top goal scorers.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Also, I don't think they quit.  I just don't think they were or are very good.

I don't think they were as good as they thought they were, but I don't think they lose 6-1 and 5-3 to Buffalo "in a playoff push" and not have "quit."

YMMV.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 4:37 PM, pilldoc said:

I'm looking at them and they have been beyond horrendous for a couple of years now.  Its gonna tale Yzerman several seasons to fix that mess.  Holland brutalized that club.

image.png.caed7094f730fb8f9bbe88a56eeded95.png

Are you seriously going to compare Yzerman (TB version) and Lou Lamoriello (NYI)  to Chucky ... LOL

giphy.gif

That's like comparing a Boy Scout who just obtained the rank of Eagle Scout to a Boy Scout who is a Tenderfoot.

yeah, they brought in vets, how is any different than what chucky is doing? or is the fact you dont like chucky at all because you wanted hextall to do it and not him.

9 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

or is the fact you dont like chucky at all because you wanted hextall to do it and not him.

You love making assumptions. I have no allegiance to Hexy. I have no love or hate for Chucky. Fact is he never had a real successful track record in Minnesota. You disagree with me fine. I’m not here to convince you of anything.  

• Like 1

@pilldoc

Fletcher had several very good teams 105 pts or better in Minnesota, they couldnt get past the Toews/Kane Blackhawks. They also ran into Jake Allen's career making playoff series. Much like the late 1990s Flyers couldn't get past the Broeduer Devils.

The conventional wisdom that says his Minnesota teams sucked is erroneous. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Fletcher had several very good teams 105 pts or better in Minnesota,

He had one team >105. That team won a playoff game.

They were bounced three times by the Blackhawks - the last was a sweep. They won three games in those playoff series combined.

They finished better then 3rd in the division twice.

He had a 98 point season and a 100 point season and finished 4th in the division both times.

In his last three seasons the team was 4-16 in the first round.

He built a marginal playoff team. I doubt m/any of our Wild posters would disagree with the assessment.

• Like 1

@radoran

My bad,  they had 3 100pt seasons in 4 years and a 98pt season.  I misrembered and thought there was a 107 pt season in addition to the 106pt season- it was 101.

All the other things you said I said also. 

That's a 5 year run of winning hockey with some bad luck and timing. 

I have read the Wild forum on occasion.  The end of his tenure wasn't great. 

They didn't suck the whole time and were in fact pretty good.  Just not better than the 'Hawks.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

They didn't suck the whole time and were in fact pretty good.  Just not better than the 'Hawks.

Which is my exact point about the Metropolitan Division at this point.

And, for that matter, the past decade.

I'm giving ol' Fletch the latitude to remake this team. I'm willing to find out what happens.

That doesn't mean his track record is exemplary any more than Hextall's is.

I need to see a "great" player BE "great".

On that I am a broken record - SHOW ME.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Fletcher's teams never made it to a conference finals, let alone two of them, and never made it to a SCF.

And still those Wild teams didn't suck.  They ran into the Hawks early and a playing out of his mind Jake Allen in the tournament, had they had a different path or Allen stubs his toe, who knows?

And that is point people haven't been acknowledging. 

Outside of 2 or 3 teams in the last 25 years there aren't juggernauts in the NHL anymore.

Not since the turn of the century Wings anyway.

The difference between a cup champion and also ran has been slim. 

I think this version of the Lightning is as close as there has been to team that is head and shoulders better than their competition.

Look at the Caps and Leafs, all that talent, one cup win between them this century.  Those aren't bad teams.

McDavid, Nurse and Draisiatl have won what exactly?

This idea that an NHL team can be built to be infallible is nonsense.

Fletcher has built good hockey teams.  The perception that he's some bumbling ****wit who wouldn't be working in the league if he wasn't in the good old boy club is nonsense also. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@radoran

My bad,  they had 3 100pt seasons in 4 years and a 98pt season.  I misrembered and thought there was a 107 pt season in addition to the 106pt season- it was 101.

All the other things you said I said also. 

That's a 5 year run of winning hockey with some bad luck and timing. 

I have read the Wild forum on occasion.  The end of his tenure wasn't great. 

the fact that the lottery was fixed for hawks and not for us to get kane was the reason why minnosota couldnt get over the hump. i think if the wild was tanking like the oilers, i think there was no chance of wild getting a superstar because just like the flyers, gary would rig the lottery for someone else to get a star and screw the wild. no one seems to get that. that's why tanking is not an option because gary has his favorites to give certain teams a star.

On 8/29/2021 at 9:00 AM, mojo1917 said:

Outside of 2 or 3 teams in the last 25 years there aren't juggernauts in the NHL anymore.

Not since the turn of the century Wings anyway.

The difference between a cup champion and also ran has been slim. 

I think this version of the Lightning is as close as there has been to team that is head and shoulders better than their competition.

Look at the Caps and Leafs, all that talent, one cup win between them this century.  Those aren't bad teams.

McDavid, Nurse and Draisiatl have won what exactly?

Hard to argue with this..... You truly NEVER know what a team can do when playing as a team with the right parts and chemistry in place! I mean look at what the Canadians did last year in the playoffs!!

Did the Miracle on ice teach you people NOTHING?!?.... ;)

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Hard to argue with this..... You truly NEVER know what a team can do when playing as a team with the right parts and chemistry in place! I mean look at what the Canadians did last year in the playoffs!!

Did the Miracle on ice teach you people NOTHING?!?.... ;)

It taught me you need good players to win.

I've learned from watching Derick Brassard that he brings exactly nothing.

What did I miss?

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 4:17 PM, ruxpin said:

It taught me you need good players to win.

I've learned from watching Derick Brassard that he brings exactly nothing.

What did I miss?

Good Players?!

The whole "miracle" part of the "MIRACLE on ice" is that a bunch of beer league players (non professionals AKA no good!) beat a bunch of professional (aka REALLY good) soviet players....

SO.... I'd say you missed QUIET a bit from that story.

Now, if you were asking what you missed regarding Derek Brassard, I'd say nothing. Your spot on. :)

(Now, I came here to see how everyone felt about the Farabee signing and got distracted by the little bell up in the corner!)

• Haha 1

I listened to the interview with Brassard on Flyers Daily.

He seems like a good bloke who wants to win and will do whatever. 

I think he'll be fine, if he plays he'll be less dynamic than a young guy but he's got a pile of experience in the playoffs and will be a good guy to have around just in case.

I was pretty harsh on the signing, but after listening to him talk a little, he seems genuinely excited to play for the Flyers. 

Knows he doesn't have too many shots left and thinks this might be a good group.

He was pretty candid. 

I will wait and see what happens before I face palm about this anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I listened to the interview with Brassard on Flyers Daily.

He seems like a good bloke who wants to win and will do whatever. 

I think he'll be fine, if he plays he'll be less dynamic than a young guy but he's got a pile of experience in the playoffs and will be a good guy to have around just in case.

I was pretty harsh on the signing, but after listening to him talk a little, he seems genuinely excited to play for the Flyers. 

Knows he doesn't have too many shots left and thinks this might be a good group.

He was pretty candid. 

I will wait and see what happens before I face palm about this anymore.

I think he's excited to still be in the NHL.

I'd argue he shouldn't be.

• Like 1