SPLIT: Was making the Final in 2010 a "fluke"

mojo1917

15 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Wellshit. If that's the answer - rot from the top - then we might as well buy into "Anything Can Happen" because that's all that's left. Comcast won't sell the Flyers while it's profitable. Clarke and Homer are there for life. We can stop buying tickets and merchandise but there's not enough of "us" to make a dent.

And what the hell anything can happen the 2010 run proved it. The highlight for me was crushing the Bruins in G7. Gagne, Hartnell, even JuniorVarsityR scored big goals. But of course the Bruins regrouped and won the Cup the very next season while the Flyers are still building teams that "should make the POs."

I'm tired of the incorrect trope that the 2010 team was a fluke. They got in on the last day, okay- so what? They got in.

That core group of players had been to the ECF, 2 years before making the SCF, the season after the finals they were a 100 point team-

That was a perpetually good hockey team that made the playoffs every year, problem was there was a better Penguins team in the same division.

Until won the trades®radoran happened that group may have actually won a cup. 

40 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

They got in on the last day, okay- so what?

Señor, that's why it's a fluke.

But if you're objecting to the implication that they didn't deserve to be in the POs...I object to that as well. Last day or clinch in Feb once you're in ... wait for it ... ANYthing can happen.

47 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Señor, that's why it's a fluke.

But if you're objecting to the implication that they didn't deserve to be in the POs...I object to that as well. Last day or clinch in Feb once you're in ... wait for it ... ANYthing can happen.

It almost did in 2010 and last year the Habs went the distance. In other seasons Columbus swept the President's trophy winning Lighting, the Caps flamed out early in the tournament after multiple 100 point seasons.

How many President's trophy winners also win the cup?

It's a laugh line here, "anything can happen"  but it is also true. 

A team needs to have a lot of things go right to win a 4 x 7 tournament. 

Building a core group of players that can compete for a championship is how the league works because of the nature of the game. There is no "chalk"...there are multiple teams that "can win it".

It's not like basketball or baseball where the most talent wins most of the time. 

Right now, the Flyers don't have their best guys and even with their best guys they might not be good enough to be a favorite to win a championship. That's worth lamenting, and discussing.

The 2010 team was a group of players that for 5 years was one of the better teams in the league. 

Making the playoffs wasn't a fluke.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The 2010 team was a group of players that for 5 years was one of the better teams in the league. 

Making the playoffs wasn't a fluke.

wait didn't the Flyers just squeak in that year as an 8 seed by beating the Rangers in a SO the last game?

edit: yes? then they obviously were not "one of the better teams in the league."

No? then my memory is even worse than I thought it was...

Edited by GratefulFlyers

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

wait didn't the Flyers just squeak in that year as an 8 seed by beating the Rangers in a SO the last game?

edit: yes? then they obviously were not "one of the better teams in the league."

They were the seven seed, but aside from that they did "squeak in." They beat the eight seed Canadiens in the Conference Final.

Team had a number of significant injuries during the season, the core had been to the Conference Final two years prior, and they won the division the next year.

I would not, however, say that their division placements of 5th, 4th, 3rd made them clearly one of the better teams in the league in the years prior.

And then, having been to the Final, signed the core to long term deals, and then won the division, they blew the team up.

Holmgren passe le balai - Hockey Herald

41 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yes they were one of the better teams in the NHL.

But once Emery went down they went through Boucher, Backlund, Duchesne and some AHL goalie named Leighton.

So someone else refresh my memory of another team going to game 6 of a finals with basically a journeyman NHL backup and a journeyman AHL goalie because I can't remember one.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, radoran said:

They were the seven seed, but aside from that they did "squeak in." They beat the eight seed Canadiens in the Conference Final.

Also remember, this is the same squad that got John Stevens fired after a wretched December. By the middle of November that year they were 12-5-1, they then went 3-14 over the course of the next 17 games which ultimately cost Stevens his job.  In comes Lavy.  They have a small modem of success initially then went 6-12 during the month of March which left them hanging in the balance of a playoff spot.

The other thing folks forget is how lucky the Habs were or how badly the Caps choked in the 1st round.  If the Caps win, the Flyers face the Caps in Round #2 and not the Bruins.  During the season the Flyers where 1-3 vs. the Caps scoring ~3.3 G/Game while giving up ~5.5 G/game.   

And to boot that squad was tied with the Habs with the least amount of points (88) for making the playoffs that year.  They were a middling squad (because of goalie issues) who just squeaked into the playoffs that year.  Some will disagree, but to me, looking back, it was a fluke they made the SCF.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

Just now, pilldoc said:

Also remember, this is the same squad that got John Stevens fired after a wretched December. By the middle of November that year they were 12-5-1, they then went 3-14 over the course of the next 17 games which ultimately cost Stevens his job.  In comes Lavy.  They a small modem of success initially then went 6-12 during the month of March which left them hanging in the balance of a playoff spot.

The other thing folks forget is how lucky the Habs were or how badly the Caps choked in the 1st round.  If the Caps win, the Flyers face the Caps in Round #2 and not the Bruins.  During the season the Flyers where 1-3 vs. the Caps scoring ~3.3 G/Game while giving up ~5.5 G/game.   

And to boot that squad was tied with the Habs with the least amount of points (88) for making the playoffs that year.  They were a middling squad who just squeaked into the playoffs that year.  Some will disagree, but to me, looking back, it was a fluke they made the SCF.

They did have some good players, leaders and gritty players on that team. Richards,Pronger, Hartnell, Briere Gagne, Timonen, Carter .I think you can safely say that we don't have one player today that compares to this list. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Also remember, this is the same squad that got John Stevens fired after a wretched December. By the middle of November that year they were 12-5-1, they then went 3-14 over the course of the next 17 games which ultimately cost Stevens his job.  In comes Lavy.  They a small modem of success initially then went 6-12 during the month of March which left them hanging in the balance of a playoff spot.

And to boot that squad was tied with the Habs with the least amount of points (88) for making the playoffs that year.  They were a middling squad (because of goalie issues) who just squeaked into the playoffs that year.  Some will disagree, but to me, looking back, it was a fluke they made the SCF.

Not to mention the Boston series in the 2nd round...where they went down 3-0 in games, then won game 4 in OT, tied up the series, then went down 3-0 in game 7. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But once Emery went down they went through Boucher, Backlund, Duchesne and some AHL goalie named Leighton.

To be fair, Backlund and Duchesne played exactly 2 games between them.  Leighton and Boucher carried the load after Emery went down.

Emery was 16-11 when he got hurt.

Leighton was 16-5

Boucher was 9-18

Edited by pilldoc

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

They did have some good players, leaders and gritty players on that team. Richards,Pronger, Hartnell, Briere Gagne, Timonen, Carter .I think you can safely say that we don't have one player today that compares to this list. 

I would agree there ...... However, IMO, Pronger >>>>> Giroux as a team leader/Captain.  That IMO is huge.  There was definitely better leadership on that team .....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Not to mention the Boston series in the 2nd round...where they went down 3-0 in games, then won game 4 in OT, tied up the series, then went down 3-0 in game 7. 

Exactly ..... many of us were PO during that series. I remember the threads after they went down 3 games to nil ......  Many were calling for heads to roll.

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I would agree there ...... However, IMO, Pronger >>>>> Giroux as a team leader/Captain.  That IMO is huge.  There was definitely better leadership on that team .....

Hands down...there was no pressure on G to be a leader or the top player. That team had alot of character and guys that played hard, except for Carter...when you have good leaders that hold guys accountable,  their consistency and level of play are alot better. Pronger would break your jaw if you were a slacker.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

To be fair, Backlund and Duchesne played exactly 2 games between them.  Leighton and Boucher carried the load after Emery went down.

Leighton was 16-5

Boucer was 9-18

We totally outplayed Chicago  if we even had just a solid goalie, we win the Cup.

The Cup winner is probably the weakest goal in NHL history. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We totally outplayed Chicago  if we even had just a solid goalie, we win the Cup.

The Cup winner is probably the weakest goal in NHL history. 

Don't forget Mr "High and Wide" Carter missed on a wide open net that would have sent the series to Game 7.

I was so PO when Leaky Leighton let that goal in ...... took me years to get over that one.

51 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Leighton was 16-5

Boucher was 9-18

And they had 10 forwards with double digit goals too.

One goal away from having 11 forwards.

What other teams can say that?

They were a very good team.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Don't forget Mr "High and Wide" Carter missed on a wide open net that would have sent the series to Game 7.

I was so PO when Leaky Leighton let that goal in ...... took me years to get over that one.

Hartnell missed a in close open net in game 6 too should have had a hat trick.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

triggered

I was at the shootout game against the Rangers that got us into the playoffs and I was at game 6. I was right there when Carter had a wide open net and hit Niemi in the mask while he was flat on the ice. At I got to see a Cup celebration,  too bad it was the other team.

43 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I was at the shootout game against the Rangers that got us into the playoffs and I was at game 6. I was right there when Carter had a wide open net and hit Niemi in the mask while he was flat on the ice. At I got to see a Cup celebration,  too bad it was the other team.

I know everyone always talks about how great Boucher was in the shootout and they have always ragged Oli for not scoring but one of my favorite parts of the game...

...Matt Carle had more offensive savvy in his pinky finger than Travis Sanheim has in his whole body...

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

59 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know everyone always talks about how great Boucher was in the shootout and they have always ragged Oli for not scoring but one of my favorite parts of the game...

...Matt Carle had more offensive savvy in his pinky finger than Travis Sanheim has in his whole body...

I really don’t understand why our first round picks take so long to develop and are so inconsistent. Konecny and Sanheim should be regular consistent players by now. When we drafted guys in the past like Propp and Gagne for example they had good seasons year after year and didn’t go into 20 game scoring droughts. Is it today’s mentally soft A.D.D. Generation just can’t stat focused , is it the coaching, lack of leadership or all of the above.I have already quit watching every other sport due to boring games ,woke militancy and false oppression. Hockey is all I have left and the majority of the games are a total bore.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

the majority of the games are a total bore.

BINGO.

It is why even haven't came around here alot on top of the suck ass Eagles...

...just need to take a damn step back from sports.

But it is hard when it is everywhere around you.

I need to just muscle up and be a Canes fan...gulp.

Where is that bourbon.....

• Haha 1