Game 42: Stars at Flyers; 1/24/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Not that it matters, but the Stars are favored (-128).  Given the Flyers' recent performance, that is surprisingly light.  Maybe the bookies think we are due for a win.

We lost to the Stars in November, 5-2.  They are not a good road team.  It looks like Oettinger versus Hart.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/preview?gameId=401349873

I will be curious to see attendance figures.  The reported numbers last game were in the 15K range, but that is based on tickets sold.  Actual attendance was estimated at about 8K.  The incessant ads on telecasts tell me folks are staying way, understandably. 

Edited by Howie58

24 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Wow! I had no idea it was that low. Guess I shoulda put 2 and 2 together when tickets in the 100s are going for $40. But still. Wow.

There is just zero reason to be excited about this team, and there's nothing about their fragile psyche that makes them fun to watch.

One certainly wouldn't want to show kids how these "professional" athletes are handling themselves.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

The Stars played like **** in their recent games, and as mentioned, totally suck on the road.

Personally, I want Bowness gone. So if I can count on some great Klingberg turnovers and Hart giving me two points in my pool, I'll take it.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

There is just zero reason to be excited about this team, and there's nothing about their fragile psyche that makes them fun to watch.

One certainly wouldn't want to show kids how these "professional" athletes are handling themselves.

Still 40 games to go in this season too.

There is absolutely no reason to watch them play.

I watched a little of the Jets/Pens yesterday, that was a pretty fun hockey game to watch. Competition, speed, skill all the stuff I like. 

The gap between those two - middling teams and the Flyers is deep and far reaching- think Grand Canyon-esque.

I simply cannot believe how fragile this team is -  truly, trade all the things. 

There is not a single player that can be relied upon right now.

Group psychology is interesting, IMO mass quantities of players need to find new situations.

Contracts need purged, hurt guys need to stay hurt- try it again next year with a really new look team.

What a tremendous disappointment this season has become.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Group psychology is interesting, IMO mass quantities of players need to find new situations.

Contracts need purged, hurt guys need to stay hurt- try it again next year with a really new look team.

So this to me is the biggest problem. Who is out there that could come in and have a chance to fix this or even want too??

I just don't think there is any one who i can pinpoint as a GM who would/could do it that isn't with another team already....my two best would be Sakic or Yzerman and they ain't getting anyone like that.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So this to me is the biggest problem. Who is out there that could come in and have a chance to fix this or even want too??

I just don't think there is any one who i can pinpoint as a GM who would/could do it that isn't with another team already....my two best would be Sakic or Yzerman and they ain't getting anyone like that.

I might go after assistants...said a few weeks ago that Nashville or Columbus are targets. 

Edited by Howie58

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I might go after assistants...said a few weeks ago that Nashville or Columbus are targets. 

Yeah at this point you have to look everywhere...this is a huge task for anyone to want to take on...

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Wow! I had no idea it was that low. Guess I shoulda put 2 and 2 together when tickets in the 100s are going for $40. But still. Wow.

The assessment said it went beyond COVID-related issues.  People are tuning out. The authors felt that was the ultimate weapon--Comcast and Brian Roberts may see their brand as tarnished with this level of play. 

• Like 3

Just now, mojo1917 said:

Is this Dave Scott's boss?

Brian Roberts is the Chair of Comcast.  He is widely respected--thought to be reflective and dedicated.  Historically, he has not spoken directly about the Flyers.  Some speculate he is going to start signaling action with the franchise.  

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Comcast and Brian Roberts may see their brand as tarnished with this level of play. 

Interesting...I just wonder... My guess is >half of any Flyers crowd couldn't tell you who owns the Flyers. But that may not even matter. Mr. Roberts must be embarrassed by now. I imagine his buddies are all in the 1% bracket and those guys hate to be seen backing a loser. Other NHL owners are probably laughing right at him.

So good. Maybe embarrassment will work. Nothing else has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

My guess is >half of any Flyers crowd couldn't tell you who owns the Flyers.

Well, in Philadelphia we have two giant building looming over the Skyline housing the Comcast Empire, and there's the big sign at the ceiling line of the Big Bank Building saying "Welcome to Comcast Country" but I don't think the same number of people who know that Comcast (Spectacor) owns the Flyers would be able to pick Brian Roberts out of a lineup.

Truthfully, Comcast is a $227.21B company and I really don't think Mr. Roberts takes much time - if any - thinking about the operations of the Flyers.

In the end Dave Scott is the Chairman and CEO of Comcast Spectacor (wholly owned by Comcast) so he basically reports to himself as long as the roof hasn't caved in.

And he thinks he's been doing a great job!

Probably should be looking at that roof, though...

• Like 1

ok,its a mess, and i am sorry to see the flyers laughed at.whoever gave ellis the money should be shot,my leg,my back,my hand,the facts were there,no full seasons last 4 years.provy wanted to play with covid, claude doesn't hit amymore but he shows up.without hayes and jake,we are way too small.we win play sometimes without a SHOT,tk is a runt,claude runt, laughton runt,farrabee runt,frost runt,cam runt, no coots, if i see one more time they enter zone and skate behind net only to work like hell to make a pass back to the d man, who is 50-50 to hold edge, i'll scream. did you see zack the other game recently swing wide, drop the shoulder and force himself to front of net?he has no hand, eye but works. wally

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wallywonder said:

did you see zack the other game recently swing wide, drop the shoulder and force himself to front of net?he has no hand, eye but works.

If Zack MacEwen had Giroux's hands and vision he'd be a top 3 forward on many NHL teams. He's one of 2 or 3 Flyers who plays straight ahead hockey, like he knows what he's doing out there. I'm sure Fletcher will figure out how to get rid of him.

At this point MacEwen and Giroux are about the only Flyers I can stand to watch.

edit: figures MacEwen is "questionable" for tonight's game. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers