Game 59: Canadiens at Flyers; 3/13/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Just now, GratefulFlyers said:

you can't make this stuff up - Flyers find another way to blow a lead in the final minute. Refs changing the call to a 2 instead of a 5 makes a difference now.

Sadly, they do make it up. They find ways to blow it. It is sickening!

• Like 1

Just now, GratefulFlyers said:

And lose in OT. Perfect ending to a perfectly stupid night of Flyers hockey. Unreal.

The offensive incompetence is beyond words. PP, EN....Bad. 

You'd like to start the week on a high note. No such luck!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The offensive incompetence is beyond words. PP, EN....Bad. 

It is beyond words. That tying goal...the incompetence on that goal is just stunning. How many goals have the Flyers given up exactly like that one this year? More than a few. The puck-staring - it's unbelievable. Sure everyone gets caught once in awhile even veterans in the NHL but not at THAT point in the game, protecting a 1-goal lead on the PP with 40 secs left. Wow. Just...wow.

I had more red wine and a few ginger snap cookies to relieve the pain/aggravation. We must be crazy to subject ourselves to this crap. 

Why don't our waiver pickups do as well as Pitlick? Do any of our recent picks have Suzuki's talent?

On to Nashville.  Maybe we should trade GMs  I have a lot more faith in Poile than CF.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

When Jordan Hall, who's on the Flyers payroll, describes the loss as "brutal," it's brutal.

It took being 0-0-2 to Montreal is what is part of the problem before this is to happen...

"Take ice time away, put guys on the fourth line, scratch guys if we have to," Flyers interim head coach Mike Yeo said postgame when asked what else he can do to drive home his message. "I don’t even know if we have enough to call guys up. And this is veteran players we’re going to have to do it to, too. Got to get the job done."

...best ask the inmates which ones we should hold accountable.

:BrownBag:

• Like 1

7h ago

Caufield scores in OT to lift Canadiens past Flyers

Cole Caufield scored 2:10 into overtime to give the Montreal Canadiens a 4-3 comeback victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday night in a matchup of last-place clubs.

The Canadian Press

•  
    •  
    •  

Montreal Canadiens

Montreal Canadiens , Getty Images

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Cole Caufield scored 2:10 into overtime to give the Montreal Canadiens a 4-3 comeback victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday night in a matchup of last-place clubs.

Rem Pitlick tied it for Montreal with 42.1 seconds left in regulation with a short-handed goal. Montreal snapped a two-game losing streak to improve to 8-6 under interim coach Martin St. Louis.

“We were a little sluggish at the start but definitely earned that win,” said Montreal’s Nick Suzuki, who scored twice.

Caufield won it by streaking into the offensive zone and firing a slap shot from the top of the circle that beat goalie Carter Hart. Pitlick assisted on the goal.

Chris Wideman assisted both of Suzuki’s goals.

Claude Giroux scored for Philadelphia to reach 900 career points. Cam Atkinson and Kevin Hayes also scored. The Flyers have lost three in a row and 24 of 29.

“We’re going to have to keep finding ways to get players to understand you can play the way you want to play or you can play winning hockey,” Flyers interim coach Mike Yeo said.

Pitlick forced overtime. Ben Chiarot passed to the front of the net from the wall, and Pitlick buried it for his 12th of the season. The Canadiens actually were skating 5-on-5 during the tally after pulling their goalie.

“Just can’t happen,” Giroux said. “We’re in a deep hole. We’re just finding ways to lose right now.”

EIGHTH FOR GIROUX

Giroux passed Hall of Famer Eric Lindros for eighth-place on the club’s goals list with his 291st of his career.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It took being 0-0-2 to Montreal is what is part of the problem before this is to happen...

"Take ice time away, put guys on the fourth line, scratch guys if we have to," Flyers interim head coach Mike Yeo said postgame when asked what else he can do to drive home his message. "I don’t even know if we have enough to call guys up. And this is veteran players we’re going to have to do it to, too. Got to get the job done."

...best ask the inmates which ones we should hold accountable.

:BrownBag:

Yeo's post-game was the most animated and least monotone of any I've seen. His delivery was angry. I guess it's at the point of quiet disgust. 

I feel for him. This is a talent attitude thing. Other than Frost, G, and Hart, you wonder who's played 60 minutes at 100%. 

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Yeo's post-game was the most animated and least monotone of any I've seen. His delivery was angry. I guess it's at the point of quiet disgust. 

I feel for him. This is a talent attitude thing. Other than Frost, G, and Hart, you wonder who's played 60 minutes at 100%. 

If he is serious at all about it he will scratch Yandle Thursday as a start. If Yandle, Scott and Fletcher don’t like it, Yeo should just walk out.

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

Mike Yeo said: "Take ice time away, put guys on the fourth line, scratch guys if we have to," Flyers interim head coach Mike Yeo said postgame when asked what else he can do to drive home his message. "I don’t even know if we have enough to call guys up. And this is veteran players we’re going to have to do it to, too. Got to get the job done."

Atkinson, Brassard, Giroux with Sanheim/Ristolainen were out there on the tying goal. Ristolainen at least made a play, though he wiped himself out in the process. The rest were weak, soft and distracted, going through the motions in the final minute as if they expected Montreal would just give them the game.

Will any of them get fewer minutes on Thursday night? If so what's the point? To send a message? Now? After months and months of weak, soft, distracted play by nearly everyone in the O&B?

I feel for Yeo. He's got a roster of players that's hellbent on losing. Even if it's not intentional, at this point losing is so ingrained into their games - nearly all the skaters - nothing Yeo can do will change it.

22 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Atkinson, Brassard, Giroux with Sanheim/Ristolainen were out there on the tying goal.

Those are supposed to be the guys who are setting the example...

And the example being set is

23 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

weak, soft, distracted play by nearly everyone in the O&B

#legendary

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

What's the worst that can happen,  we could lose on a turnover?

Now that cracked me up because of course the Flyers are real good at taking care of the puck. They take such good care of it they hardly ever touch it!

21 minutes ago, radoran said:

Those are supposed to be the guys who are setting the example...

Indeed they are. And what an example... which was my point about Yeo sitting veterans or giving them 4th line minutes...I mean what's the point? I guess maybe there is... I don't know anymore what this team is about.

• Uggh... 1