Giroux Traded to Panthers.

43 minutes ago, icehole said:

I think you are the first person on here to not completely bash Fletcher for this trade...what is wrong with you 🙂

I don't get it, and I keep reading through in hopes that I maybe understand, but I still got nothing. It seems simple to me. Giroux only wanted to go to Florida. I won't hold it against him because in my eyes he can do whatever he wants...he deserves it. But that sort of limits the Flyers options right? They got a young player who looked better than half the flyers crap they put out there every night. They got a few picks including a number 1, and they got rid of a couple of players that we'll never hear of again. This is what they got for a 34 year old that could walk away in a month.

I think the only thing the flyers could have done differently was to not let Giroux get 1000 and trade him to the panthers earlier before the panthers made their first trade. But again, that was probably Giroux's decision. Maybe they wanted to get a deal done earlier but Giroux said no. How is any of this Fletchers fault?

The same reason the 1929 stock market crash was Fletcher's fault!  What is wrong with you?!  This is the hate zone!   Reason and logic was several exits back.

Sorry, no U-turns.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The same reason the 1929 stock market crash was Fletcher's fault!  What is wrong with you?!  This is the hate zone!   Reason and logic was several exits back.

Sorry, no U-turns.

I'm down for some Fletcher torching but this is not the time. I'm also down for Hextal torching...did I miss that exit?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, icehole said:

I'm down for some Fletcher torching but this is not the time. I'm also down for Hextal torching...did I miss that exit?

Lol yes, but don't worry. All roads here are circles.

The Giroux trade kind of stinks in the "what could have been" way, but Fletcher seems to have gotten as good as he was going to under the circumstances. 

This isn't really the place for the comment, I guess, but I'm still more upset about the Risto signing. Especially given the picks that were flying off the shelves for dmen.  The other two moves today weren't exciting, but they were decent.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Sorry, no U-turns.

I also think Fletcher kidnapped the Lindbergh baby.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

If the NMC significantly limited the return, you would expect the Flyers not to give out NMCs, but that seems like a pipe dream.

Hey the horse just ran off......

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Lol yes, but don't worry. All roads here are circles.

The Giroux trade kind of stinks in the "what could have been" way, but Fletcher seems to have gotten as good as he was going to under the circumstances. 

This isn't really the place for the comment, I guess, but I'm still more upset about the Risto signing. Especially given the picks that were flying off the shelves for dmen.  The other two moves today weren't exciting, but they were decent.

I was actually OK with the Risto signing when it happened. He has played OK on a defense that is garbage. After he signed, I feel like his play has gone downhill. My biggest problem with the signing now is there is no reason for it. They should be in rebuild mode and shouldn't be handing out long contracts.

I want to torch Hextal because this is mostly his fault. He half-assed a tank. He accumulated picks and prospects while refusing to make any big signings. But for some reason he kept giroux and voracek. Trade giroux 5 years ago and maybe we wouldn't be complaining about not getting much back in return. Maybe we'd have a good young team at this point. Instead we must trade one of the best players to play for the flyers for a few picks and a 3rd liner.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So is someone lying here....this doesn't sound like he said it was Florida or nothing.

A mention of a "list" you can't have a list of "one team" it at least takes two you'd think to be labeled a "list"........ but WTF do i know.

What we will never know was this a knee jerk trade or was this really the best he could do??

Here we go.....someone check the grassy knoll

1 hour ago, icehole said:

I think you are the first person on here to not completely bash Fletcher for this trade...what is wrong with you 🙂

I don't get it, and I keep reading through in hopes that I maybe understand, but I still got nothing. It seems simple to me. Giroux only wanted to go to Florida. I won't hold it against him because in my eyes he can do whatever he wants...he deserves it. But that sort of limits the Flyers options right? They got a young player who looked better than half the flyers crap they put out there every night. They got a few picks including a number 1, and they got rid of a couple of players that we'll never hear of again. This is what they got for a 34 year old that could walk away in a month.

I think the only thing the flyers could have done differently was to not let Giroux get 1000 and trade him to the panthers earlier before the panthers made their first trade. But again, that was probably Giroux's decision. Maybe they wanted to get a deal done earlier but Giroux said no. How is any of this Fletchers fault?

I'm in the camp too. Hate Fletcher.  Hope he gets fired.  But I think this was best deal, and G will be back 

23 minutes ago, icehole said:

want to torch Hextal because this is mostly his fault. He half-assed a tank. He accumulated picks and prospects while refusing to make any big signings. But for some reason he kept giroux and voracek.

This one isn't hard. It's the senior advisors and the half-assed corporation that runs its hockey team the same way it runs the rest of its garbage organization.

Had it been up to hextall, all would have been sold and we'd have had a proper rebuild.  But Clarkgren would never allow that because old, slow, stupid. This is Philly. Kate Smith videos. The Flyer way, argle bargle.

I'm not trying to give hextall a complete pass but most of the problem was he always had the twin canker sores steaming and oozing over his shoulder.

This is on Clarkgren. It has been for several decades.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

What is the possibility that Florida was "chosen" because they're not going to re-sign Giroux, so there's a chance he comes back?   Just wondering if that would have been the case in, say, Boston--where they may have tried to extend him.   I'm just suspicious they took less return for a "rental" so they could get him back.

This is one we see almost every time a player like Giroux is traded in this situation, where fans speculate on him coming back as a UFA. It always makes for a nice story, and it practically never happens. As a fan of a team who has watched that happen over and over again: he's gone.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

This is one we see almost every time a player like Giroux is traded in this situation, where fans speculate on him coming back as a UFA. It always makes for a nice story, and it practically never happens. As a fan of a team who has watched that happen over and over again: he's gone.

I can't tell you how much I hope you're right. I was saying it more out of fear that management would do something stupid than I was "please bring my GiGi home!"

Seriously, thank you for that.  You're right.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, icehole said:

It's not Fletchers worst trade. It's not even close. It's the fact that he seems to give the other team the better deal every...single...time. That's how he's taken an up and coming Flyer team...all the way to 4th from the bottom of the league...while somehow trading away youth and draft picks. And adding multiple bad long term contracts.

If this was one of the few bad trades he made maybe people wouldn't be so frustrated. But it's come to be expected.

And if Giroux said he'd only go to one team what was with his comment about Florida being at the top of his list? A list isn't one team. 

Why do so many of his trades need explaining on why he didn't get value out of it?

It's pretty sad when one of your GMs best trades of all time is Brassard for a 4th.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Even though G said this, I didn't take it literally. Maybe he went into with a list because he wanted to see what was best. Then in the end, settled only on FLA 

Many on here are so frustrated,  they want someone to pay harshly for what we are forced to watch. And they desperately want Fletchers head on a spike. So any little thing they can grab on to, will be validation for their POV

First it was AV. He got axed and the result is the same. If CF goes right, the result will be the same....at least for now

I see changes happening, and attempts being made. I wont compound my unhappiness of how bad my team is, by nitpicking every attempt at change. Especially when I'm not anywhere close to being smart enough to understand what is really going on

I agree.

I am good either way if Giroux never returns or does.

Honestly if he does return they may never get to the root of the problem.

But saying that suggests they are looking for that problem and I don't think they are.

I think they are trying to as quickly as they can retool and shoot for the playoffs again next season.

I hope I'm wrong but don't feel I am.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

What is the possibility that Florida was "chosen" because they're not going to re-sign Giroux, so there's a chance he comes back? 

More of a chance they were chosen because they don't play the Flyers again this season.

Giroux was always coming back.

• Like 2

@CoachX

Your theory here is not the most whacky thing I've ever read.

I know right now the bar for most whacky is pretty high given the times we live in.

But this seems plausible. 

I don't think Giroux comes back though.

I will be surprised if he does.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CoachX said:

i'll tell you my own personal conspiracy theory.... I think the plan was for him come back. This is like a vacation for him and the family, so he can play some meaningful hockey. He decides whats best for him (Florida), gathers some helpful pieces for his true team (Flyers), while creating some space (bunny and the other guy), then comes back to help the team rebuild, all while setting himself up for a future front office job with the organization. Also, this allows the team to select a new captain, relieve him of the position, which he may not want, all while saving face

:poke:

Oh yeah I could see that happening spend now till June in basically Miami how tragic.

But now if the money don't work well he has experienced life outside of the Flyers.

If he does come back I hope it is at a team friendly price.

I don't expect it just holding out hope that if it does happen it will be so they can afford other pieces.

All he needs to worry about is winning a Cup.

• Like 2

Another weird possibility regarding FLA....covid restrictions 

I'm not trying to start a political debate. I don't care what side of the argument anyone is on. But it's been regularly documented how people have been going to FLA and enjoying the lack of restrictions 

51 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Another weird possibility regarding FLA....covid restrictions 

I'm not trying to start a political debate. I don't care what side of the argument anyone is on. But it's been regularly documented how people have been going to FLA and enjoying the lack of restrictions 

Anything is possible, but most athletes enjoy Florida's tax environment.

• Like 3