Thank God that's over

mojo1917

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The one good thing about Briere is, he can't be as lousy as Fletcher. He just can't.

I think the Flyers have shown they never run out of new ways to suck

• Like 2

8 hours ago, icehole said:

and I'm not trying to defend the Risto extension. I think it could be a bad move just because he's not good enough to deserve that extension.

okay - me either

8 hours ago, icehole said:

His problem with the signing is that the Flyers did it because of his size and physical style of play. Then he goes onto say the "older voices in the brain trust were very much in favor of bringing back a player who screams the traditional notion of what Flyers hockey should be." Thats the narrative I don't agree with. For one, the flyers haven't signed a player like Risto for a while...this isn't the norm. Secondly, there isn't a problem with signing a player like this if he can actually play...those players do exist.

If you don't read Charlie often you wouldn't know he doesn't think Ristolainen is a good player.

He doesn't, he's written about why he thinks this exhaustively.

So this is a part of context you may be missing.

Charlie doesn't really think Risto can actually play and often cites lots of xG numbers to support his opinion.

So the "culture" of signing a banger only as opposed to a banger who can play is what's not working. 

The old guys from the old days were good at hockey too. 

I don't know if I think Risto has shown he's good enough at hockey.

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know if I think Risto has shown he's good enough at hockey.

Yes you do.

What you're hoping and praying is for someone - anyone to teach him how to play the slightest semblance of good hockey he can muster by next season...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes you do.

What you're hoping and praying is for someone - anyone to teach him how to play the slightest semblance of good hockey he can muster by next season...

Entering his 10th season, and coming off his 2nd worst ever (only his rookie year was worse) I can't imagine this turkey changing his stripes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Entering his 10th season, and coming off his 2nd worst ever (only his rookie year was worse) I can't imagine this turkey changing his stripes.

I admit I have never played hockey so I can not fathom WTF they saw or thought he was going to bring he doesn't even check very well.

I will give you this, he moves pretty well for guy his size but when I watch him play he can not analyze the play or where the puck is going and what he should be doing.

He is like King Kong with a gnat brain.

Mind boggling.

:BrownBag:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I admit I have never played hockey so I can not fathom WTF they saw or thought he was going to bring he doesn't even check very well.

I will give you this, he moves pretty well for guy his size but when I watch him play he can not analyze the play or where the puck is going and what he should be doing.

He is like King Kong with a gnat brain.

Mind boggling.

:BrownBag:

Oh he's got everything you want in a defenceman, except the most important part...a brain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He really doesn't skate well at all.  And, it's a big reason why he's out of position a lot.  It's absolutely not one of his "strong suits".

And yes, his brain leaves a lot to be desired.  But, he just continually shows signs of being poorly coached, which has lead to many horrible weaknesses as a player.  The lack of hockey sense obviously adds to that.  But, things like not knowing where to be in many game situations.  Not knowing when trying to throw the huge body check might not be the best approach.  Not knowing that staring at a puck is a horrible thing to do when in your own zone.  And those signs just go on and on and on. 

So are you saying Risto van be fixed with good coaching?

@FireDillabaugh I like the optimism but come on now... Ristolainen is not 20 years old he's a 10-year pro he's not changing his game regardless who coaches him. He is what he is and as @radoran reminded me a few months back, the Flyers like him just as he is. They think those stupidBig hits that take him out of position are Flyers Hockey! Amiright?

But I appreciate the hopeful viewpoint. If you turn out to be right, that a good coach can A) speed up his brain and B) get him to (at least) not allow the other fwds to hang out in the paint - I'll buy you a case of ___ whatever you like!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They think those stupidBig hits that take him out of position are Flyers Hockey! Amiright?

And the worst part of that he never even delivered any of those go back and look and find one and show me....he didn't even do that in Philly.

#garbage

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Lol.  Great post.  Imo, if they get competence behind the bench in a coach and coaching staff that doesn't listen to this front office and their egos, puts Risto on the 3rd pairing where he belongs(since he's not going anywhere and this team is stuck with his flaws), only giving him the 12 or 14 minutes a game, and isn't afraid of admitting that Chuck and the scouts made a HUGE mistake regarding him, it will benefit this team.  Yes, moving him would benefit this team more.  But, it's just not going to happen.

If, at the very least, they can get the fool to stop staring at pucks in his own zone, his game will improve.  Nope, it won't improve to make him a 2nd pairing NHL defenseman.  But, any improvement at all will help this team.  Age and years in the league mean absolutely nothing when it comes to being taught and being willing to learn.  That is ALL on the player and the type of person they are.  If he allows his ego to get in the way of realizing he needs to improve his game immensely, then he'll continue to be the detriment that he is to this team.  If he is willing to learn, and a coach can get his brain straight, he can improve.  He certainly has the room to improve.  But, it's all on him to want to do that.

Of course, all of that is dependent upon Chuck and crew making a sound, competent decision on head coach and staff that are capable of teaching him properly.  And that, unfortunately, could be the big problem here.  I still believe they had that here in AV and Therrien(not Yeo-which was a ridiculous decision to give him an assistant job).  But, instead of this front office being capable of admitting to their huge mistakes on this roster, they made the easy choice.  And, once again, a good head coach was improperly fired by this organization.

No way do I trust the same crew that A)acquired and B)extended Risto to actually hire a competent coach! If Fletch does its pure luck!! These are dark days for Flyer fans. Until upper management admits Fletch is crap and fires him, we are screwed. Thankfully, he gets the 🪓 next year probably, cause they will SUCK again!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And the worst part of that he never even delivered any of those go back and look and find one and show me....he didn't even do that in Philly.

#garbage

Biggest hit of Risto's career:

• Uggh... 1

9 hours ago, jammer2 said:

No way do I trust the same crew that A)acquired and B)extended Risto to actually hire a competent coach! If Fletch does its pure luck!! These are dark days for Flyer fans. Until upper management admits Fletch is crap and fires him, we are screwed. Thankfully, he gets the 🪓 next year probably, cause they will SUCK again!!

Thats kind of an oxymoron, considering the firers are more incompetent than the firee

I have hope they will hire a good coach. However, I thought AV was a good coach. Still do. Regardless who they hire, they have to let him coach. When they stop placating to the players, and firing a coach every time little pumpkins gets their feelers hurt, they will be able to build something.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 8:20 AM, SCFlyguy said:

Biggest hit of Risto's career:

After watching someone do that, who wouldn't think you should sell the farm to get that guy? And then when his "brilliance" continued, who wouldn't give him a 5 year extension?

I mean other than every NHL GM not named Chuckie.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

After watching someone do that, who wouldn't think you should sell the farm to get that guy?

I know if he'd do that to himself...imagine what he could do to his own goalie....go get him!!!!!!!

😍

• Uggh... 1

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Is it really over? The nightmare of this off-season, might have just begun. Remember who is still in charge of this *Organization.

They spent over the salary cap this season because Joel Farabee had a bonus clause that paid him if he was top 3 in +/-

and the Flyers had to pay him. 

He was -11.

So there's that.

Good times.

• Uggh... 2

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Is it really over? The nightmare of this off-season, might have just begun. Remember who is still in charge of this *Organization.

I'm resigned to the fact we're taking Cooley (Minnesota) or Geekie (BIG). I doubt any other thought goes into the draft.

• Uggh... 1

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

I could see this mistake happening by Chuck and crew. He's a player that shouldn't even be taken in the top 10.  A skating project(Huge issue of his).  A defensive deficiency project.  A 2nd or 3rd line center that underperforms.

If they get the 2nd pick, I have no issue with them taking Cooley there.

At least Cooley is rated up near the top. I just wish he went to a different school so I'd feel there was a better reason for him to be drafted than Homer and Fletchers infatuation with the state.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I just wish he went to a different school so I'd feel there was a better reason for him to be drafted than Homer and Fletchers infatuation with the state.

Get over yourself then.

So what, the kid is going to Minnesota.

It is a good NCAA hockey program.

The fascination with Minnesota used to be a joke, but now you're using it as a (legit?) critique of a decision a 16 year old boy made.

Give yourself a break.

goodness.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1