Don't Trade JvR

Guest Orangecat

Unless he is a part of a deal to get an ESTABLISHED GOALTENDER...Even if, I'd rather part with Schenn and I like Schenn (just my opinion!)

However, trading JvR for Dustin Brown makes very little sense to me even if Bernier is a part of the deal...That would be a lateral move completely since he is essentially Bob. Am I the only one not looking to unload JvR just for the sake of a trade?

I try, but Bryz/Bob is an obviously huge and sore subject. I see JVR's potential, but I'm starting to really get fed up with the lack of development. If the Flyers can get a decent return, at ANY position but center, I think they should seriously consider it. Simmonds plays with more heart AND success than JVR, which should never happen. I know JVR has had injury issues, but it's not like he is ripping up the place when healthy. His cap hit goes up next season, and I don't think he has earned it at all. While I would prefer to develop him in Philly, I'm wondering if he can mentally develop to his raw skill abilities. It's going to come down to a seriously calculated risk.

Periodically, like in last year's playoffs and in short spurts this year, JVR shows something that makes you think he could be REALLY good. And then he goes back to sleep. He irritates me to no end.

But I actually think that aside from being injured quite a bit this year, he's been on the wrong line(s) for much of it when he IS healthy. I would really like to keep him with Giroux for a bit and see what shakes out. I don't trade him yet, but I don't think he has much rope left.

Bernier isn't Bob, to me. But I bet it's because I'm not as high on Bob rather than that I'm higher on Bernier. I just don't have ANY faith in Bob. He's Nitty Part Deux for me.

unload JvR just for the sake of a trade?

No I don't think it's "for the sake of a trade" at all, I think it's because JVR's m.o. is well-established and it's an unlikeable one to Flyers' fans.

Let me put it this way, I'd rather have Aaron Asham than JVR. I'd take a guy like Steve Ott over him any day too. Neither of those trades would be good for the Flyers straight-up, of course not. But put together the right package, get a guy who enjoys competing to win his shifts and I'd be happy to move JVR, especially before next year and his $4+ million cap hit kicks in.

No I don't think it's "for the sake of a trade" at all, I think it's because JVR's m.o. is well-established and it's an unlikeable one to Flyers' fans.

Let me put it this way, I'd rather have Aaron Asham than JVR. I'd take a guy like Steve Ott over him any day too. Neither of those trades would be good for the Flyers straight-up, of course not. But put together the right package, get a guy who enjoys competing to win his shifts and I'd be happy to move JVR, especially before next year and his $4+ million cap hit kicks in.

Yuck...I get your point but can't follow ya on that one. There's no way a guy gets to the NHL without enjoying competition. Asham over JvR? Whew.

IMO, if it happens, we will regret trading JvR.

This is for all you JVR haters. If JVR is so bad ,why is it all the other teams want him?How come they never ask for the goalies? They always offer their players who didn't live up to their rep. Schenn,Brown,Nash,etc. Homer looks like a idiot every game when the other teams second string goalie kills the Flyers,while Bryzo&Bobbo are handing out Christmas gifts. People seem to be losing track of the of the real problems here. Especially Homer!

Asham over JvR? Whew.

yeah I mean I know that one was a stretch - and in the morning light I guess I'd reconsider that choice...if you're willing to let me off the hook :)

But I have serious doubts about JVR and have had them ever since we picked him and he said "eh, no thanks, I'd rather stay at UNH for a couple more years."

I don't begrudge the guy getting an edumacation or anything but ...really? Turn down an NHL contract to play college-level hockey?

@canoli

UNH is a big big big, stoner school....lots of hot granola chics up for just about anything, i think i'd maybe want to hang out there for a little while too, just to see what could happen.

just sayin'

anyway, when i look at jvr i can't help but see patrick sharp, not that their styles are similar, just the second he's on a different team he'll turn into the player we want, and he'll kill us in the playoffs. Sharp was the hawks best player in the scf and he owned leighton, jvr is bigger and faster and has better hands, i'd wait, i think he's grown up. he overtrained in the offseason, pulling trucks around parking lots, and hurt himself, he was vying for a leadership role in the lockerroom. i think he's going to blossom shortly

@canoli

UNH is a big big big, stoner school....lots of hot granola chics up for just about anything, i think i'd maybe want to hang out there for a little while too, just to see what could happen.

just sayin'

anyway, when i look at jvr i can't help but see patrick sharp, not that their styles are similar, just the second he's on a different team he'll turn into the player we want, and he'll kill us in the playoffs. Sharp was the hawks best player in the scf and he owned leighton, jvr is bigger and faster and has better hands, i'd wait, i think he's grown up. he overtrained in the offseason, pulling trucks around parking lots, and hurt himself, he was vying for a leadership role in the lockerroom. i think he's going to blossom shortly

This is what drives me kind of crazy. As Flyers fans we b*tch and moan about the young players we've traded away, and then, when we have arguably the most talented young player that we've had since Lindros, we're ready to give up on him at the ripe old age of 22.

As Flyers fans we b*tch and moan about the young players we've traded away

Who have the Flyers traded...in recent history(15-20 years)...that was young, and went somewhere and just exploded? Patrick Sharp-yes. But who else? Not being a di*ck here, but I am struggling to come up with a long list of names-or even a short list for that matter. Granted, in 5 years, we COULD really regret trading Richards and Carter...not saying we will, just saying we could. And before anyone kills me, I was all for trading Carter, and was shocked by the Richards trade, but would not undo it, if given the chance.

I try, but Bryz/Bob is an obviously huge and sore subject. I see JVR's potential, but I'm starting to really get fed up with the lack of development. If the Flyers can get a decent return, at ANY position but center, I think they should seriously consider it. Simmonds plays with more heart AND success than JVR, which should never happen. I know JVR has had injury issues, but it's not like he is ripping up the place when healthy. His cap hit goes up next season, and I don't think he has earned it at all. While I would prefer to develop him in Philly, I'm wondering if he can mentally develop to his raw skill abilities. It's going to come down to a seriously calculated risk.

It's a risk to trade him but it might be for the best. Next year he is a 4.5 million cap hit and isn't producing like a 4.5 million player. Dustin Brown brings more to the game (right now) and we could always try a new goalie out since ours have been so-so at best...

Who have the Flyers traded...in recent history(15-20 years)...that was young, and went somewhere and just exploded? Patrick Sharp-yes. But who else? Not being a di*ck here, but I am struggling to come up with a long list of names-or even a short list for that matter.

how about we lump guys we let walk in free agency too, rusty fedotenko, justin williams went on to be effective players for stanely cup champions in the last 10 years. those guys halve half of JvRs natural ability... he didn't explode but he continued his career simon gagne, i thought he was one clean check away from a life like primeau's...but he's still going.

as for JvR i think the kid was hurt for much of this year, i think he wants to be a leader and a good guy in the room, i think he's growing up and we'll see more play from him like we saw in the playoffs last year, on a consistent basis.... the game is slowing down for him, he's got some cats that can skate with him now, plus i've only ever heard negatives about dustin brown in the last 3 years.

how about we lump guys we let walk in free agency too, rusty fedotenko, justin williams went on to be effective players for stanely cup champions in the last 10 years. those guys halve half of JvRs natural ability... he didn't explode but he continued his career simon gagne, i thought he was one clean check away from a life like primeau's...but he's still going.

...but not since December 26th, because he very well may have met that one clean check.

Many know, I'm usually on the side of patience.....devloping our young kids to their full potential. Everybody has seen the flashes of brillance out of JVR, his playoff performance was stunning. This year has been a huge dissapointment, but I'm a tad gun shy on dealing a youngster with that much obvious talent. The points Can and Rux made....very, very valid. His heart is not in this as far as I can tell. He does not play for the love of the game, it's a business venture for him....and a business he would rather not be in IMHO. Taking this into consideration, I'd put the oars in the water....just what could we get and how will it impact the team.

A few things....first off, because of JVR's immense talent, we must get a return that reflects that...not a return based on this years unflattering stats. Second, he must never come back to haunt us....a trade to the Western Conference is a *must* for me.

Bottom line, if we don't fix the goaltending, this team will never, ever win a playoff round....so any JVR trade must address that problem, in other words Bob is traded with him in a package deal (assuming Bryz the bum is untradeable).

Also agree with rux on Bob, I like his Nitty comparision, decent at times....but just blah....good from far, but far from good IMHO.

Simmonds plays with more heart AND success than JVR, which should never happen.

thing is tho, simmonds and jvr play totally different styles. im not sure the two are comparable. simmonds is a specimen in himself also, and the flyers scouting came through with him. they felt he was an ascending talent, and for sure, his upsidelooks a lot like hartnell's:

tough in the slot, in front of the net, setting a screen, tough in the corners, on the boards and ^ penalty minutes. 25-35 goal scorer.

How much of the above sounds like JVR's game? Not much. JVR is a finesse player, more of a playmaker than a finisher, altho we have seen flashes of finishing with him.

• Like 1