TORT Claim

CoachX

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

For me, if that means Kevin Hayes takes on a Keith Primeau style of role, I'm good with that. Don't gift the man the second line center because of his contract.

This will be great when the 3rd line center and the 4th line center (Scott Laughton) make $7M and $3M respectively.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Sorry, but something else went downhill to make this place go downhill. The franchise.

It honestly doesn't do much for the morale of fans who meet to talk about their favourite team when their team is in trouble.

• Good Post 2

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I don't know if Totorella is the answer to most of the Flyers problems. I think that the larger issue resides in the chairs far above ice level, but I could be wrong. What I'm more sure of is that you don't really want the sorts of players who want nothing to do with Tortorella.

Yes on chairs above.

The players who want nothing to do with Torts may just not like pompous aholes

I would agree with that with the possible caveat that he might be a little quick to judge a younger player that just needs time to figure it out.

I'm actually on board with Torts.  Partially because he will add pressure to the FO and partially because I don't think he can ultimately do any harm with the exception of making us draft a little later.

Edited by SCFlyguy

14 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I don't know if Totorella is the answer to most of the Flyers problems. I think that the larger issue resides in the chairs far above ice level, but I could be wrong. What I'm more sure of is that you don't really want the sorts of players who want nothing to do with Tortorella.

I love this post

• Like 2

as some point there has to be accountability to this roster which is why this team is what it is for a decade, they get awarded for stats and not competitiveness. that has to change, if we want to get to a cup, the fo has to evaluate and figure out who wants to be here to win and not collect a paycheck. right now we have too many players that want to play for the money and not for a cup.

it's like we keep firing cooking managers and not firing the cooks.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

This is all I need to know to know how crap a hire this is.  The Cancer and his boob were pushing it.  #ForTheCure

Senior executives Bobby Clarke and Paul Holmgren reportedly preferred Tortorella against other candidates such as Barry Trotz, Bruce Cassidy, and Jim Montgomery. Bill Meltzer described that the two former Flyers had a “background role in the ultimate decision” for the hire

https://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-hire-tortorella-new-head-coach/

Edited by ruxpin
  • Uggh... 1

24 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This is all I need to know to know how crap a hire this is.  The Cancer and his boob were pushing it.  #ForTheCure

Senior executives Bobby Clarke and Paul Holmgren reportedly preferred Tortorella against other candidates such as Barry Trotz, Bruce Cassidy, and Jim Montgomery. Bill Meltzer described that the two former Flyers had a “background role in the ultimate decision” for the hire

Thanks you ruined it

Fck Tortorella! 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Okay, I read that....whew, not that bad

By background role, I will assume they were both napping in the mezzanine, and someone woke them up and asked if they knew who Tortorella was. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Okay, I read that....whew, not that bad

By background role, I will assume they were both napping in the mezzanine, and someone woke them up and asked if they knew who Tortorella was. 

I'm out of reactions because apparently they're stuck on a boat off the coast of San Diego.  They're on back order, so I owe you a laugh emoji

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Bill Meltzer described that the two former Flyers had a “background role in the ultimate decision” for the hire

happy michael scott GIF

51 minutes ago, CoachX said:

knew who Tortorella was. 

In fairness, Clarke said "vodka cream sauce"

45 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

It's the only possible positive outcome I can see happening from this hire.

You're overlooking the impact on a completely demonetized hockey forum site.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

happy michael scott GIF

In fairness, Clarke said "vodka cream sauce"

You're overlooking the impact on a completely demonetized hockey forum site.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Reactions don't reset at midnight, by the way.

:laughEmoji:

From Sportsnet article:

Flyers winger Cam Atkinson played under Tortorella in Columbus. He said at the end of the season the Flyers were "a pretty soft team'' and a coach like Tortorella could help toughen up any franchise.

"I think it all starts with practice. You practice how you play,'' Atkinson said in April. "Especially when I turned pro, I learned that from John Tortorella. He was great in that aspect. ... I think going into next year, we need to find a way to have some more grit, some more jam, more 'F you'' to our game, on both sides of the puck, in our crease, defending our goalie and in their crease.''

23 hours ago, CoachX said:

Why do you think Tortorella wiil fail, and does he HAVE to deliver a cup for it to be a success?

If he can help players become the best versions of themselves, teach them how to consistently play hard with good habits, install some organizational identity AND all of that carries over to the next coach/regime (and there will be a next coach/regime before a Cup is a reasonable possibility), then to me that’s a success.  In a way, I view Torts as a transitional coach.  Kind of like a Chief Restructuring Officer.  His job is to turn this team in the right direction after hitting rock bottom.  He may stick around as CEO or at least will have this team set up the right way for the next CEO.  

• Like 2

Point:

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

From Sportsnet article:

Flyers winger Cam Atkinson played under Tortorella in Columbus. He said at the end of the season the Flyers were "a pretty soft team'' and a coach like Tortorella could help toughen up any franchise.

"I think it all starts with practice. You practice how you play,'' Atkinson said in April. "Especially when I turned pro, I learned that from John Tortorella. He was great in that aspect. ... I think going into next year, we need to find a way to have some more grit, some more jam, more 'F you'' to our game, on both sides of the puck, in our crease, defending our goalie and in their crease.''

Counterpoint:

On being hired, NEW HEAD COACH, Tortis said this, "I believe in the direction this team is heading. Having faced the Flyers for several years, I know first hand how tough of a city Philly is to play in and I look forward to being on the right side of the bench on opening night in front of such a loyal and passionate crowd of Flyers fans."

See, he recognizes US, the fans first. His priorities are in the right place. Now these candy ass players need to remove their head from their fourth point of contact and perform accordingly.

I'm really liking this guy. That will continue until I decide to hate him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Point:

Counterpoint:

Yeah that is who i would trust the guy who didn't play well under him.

FVa40y7WQAUC8Bw.jpg.5f20a448dd454fbda95af8953ab3501b.jpg

Guess we should ask JVR what he thought of Lavy before he was traded.

I know let's ask a disgruntled employee what he thought of his bosses....GTFO here.

Because Atkinson talking well about his new coach isn't enough anymore.

Folks don't want the inmates running the asylum but now that they get a hard nosed coach well he isn't a good fit either....i think the fan base is just a direct reflection of society as a whole and all it's issues....you just can't win for losing with anyone anymore these days.

Not even sure why the anyone under the Flyer umbrella gets out of bed anymore....this summer should be just down amazing here....dear gawd.