Johnny Hockey a done deal? (EDIT: JG Signs with Blue Jackets)

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Also, I might add, everyone is forgetting that Farabee will be out at the start of the season with no time table for his return.  Just saying ........

And Brink, which admittedly isn't much...

But every $100K is going to count...

I expect some creative shenanigans a la the Bolts. Of course Tampa used them to get a Cup...

• Like 3

I still think Johnny Hockey comes home to Philly, and takes less than going to New Jersey. For one thing, the Flyers are most certainly his preference, The other thing, is why would he want to pay New Jersey's very high taxes...multi-millionaire or not?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The other thing, is why would he want to pay New Jersey's very high taxes...multi-millionaire or not?

If he lives in Jersey (with his family, for example) he's paying the high real estate taxes there anyway... NJ also has a tiered income tax, while PA's is flat, but in any event players also pay wage tax to the City of Philadelphia (3.5019% for non residents) for all games played within City limits.

In the end, I'd be somewhat surprised if the deciding factor was "tax rates".

And, honestly, I still see him taking $9M+ and both the Isles and the Devils have the cap space to make a bigger deal than the Flyers do...

He's probably coming here, but until things are signed, sealed, and delivered to the league offices...

• Like 2

Wow that is a sh!t lineup.   I've finally caught up on everything that's been happening since the beginning of June.  While I hate to have another horrible season - the first one in my 30 years where I didn't watch every game - next years draft looks real tasty.   With JG, this team is a bubble playoff team at best.   Without JG the team finishes about where they finished this past year, maybe top 3 worst.    The good news is we get to watch Hayes until 2026-7.  

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

image.png.c18df895fb31e1b4b5dbd06aaa5012db.png

There in is the problem we all know.  No one wants JVR, he is the epitome of the gift that keeps on giving. 

Yep here is the rub. And it is hard to think Arizona wouldn't take him with 28 mill in cap space with only 32 contracts out of 50 on the books.

But you would have to sweeten it to get them to take him off your hands which presents the problem.

But damn you'd think maybe if the Devils lose out on Johnny they may take a local boy as a 2nd best option - ok that is stretching it as the last option JVR could play somewhere in the lineup at least for one year. But why would they help out a rival as well??

I just can't see Chuck pulling this off with out moving assets either in picks or prospect to get this to go his way.

Worst case i can see him moving a 2025 1st with JVR and it being a conditional pick depending on say how far they make it into the playoffs in either 2022 or 2023.

Seems the man is desperate to save his neck and sign Johnny...

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Lol, when you put it all together like that, this roster really stinks. 

I disagree it stinks. But i am good agreeing to disagree too.

But it isn't a sure bet yep they are a playoff contender...it moves the needle from the 5th overall pick to say maybe the 10th or 12th pick.

But it may be viewed as progress...not many teams jump from the 5th pick to certain playoff contention in one year.

Good pieces to build around. If they can remove JVR that is a success maybe considering what they give up.

But the Hayes buddy gang would still be alive and well...and if Hayes does not perform next season well another huge disaster and i would think Chuck takes the axe....and here comes Danny...

Not being able to sign the top free agent, who reportedly wants to sign here; Is peak Chuck Fletcher incompetence...and should be grounds for dismissal. 

So stupid I can't even.

• Good Post 3

Also, I might add, everyone is forgetting that Farabee will be out at the start of the season with no time table for his return.  Just saying ........ 

Yes and that is another 5 mill of cap space Ellis or no Ellis. Joel i think was out till November.

49 minutes ago, radoran said:

In the end, I'd be somewhat surprised if the deciding factor was "tax rates".

I have zero proof of this but i think the biggest factor is how much does he want to play with his best buds too.

Since he is a local boy i wonder if he has a good relation with TDA or even knows him?

But if they have Farabee and Ellis on IR to begin the season then IIRC he will have to use as much as that cap space as he can to be able to the limit so that would give him a lot to play with.

And then when Joel is ready be forced to make so moves maybe to get back to under the cap when he is ready in November....and then Chuck i expect would turn around and well there he is...

paint into corner - HighCraft

And still having to give up a 1st to get out of the mess he created.

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes and that is another 5 mill of cap space Ellis or no Ellis. Joel i think was out till November.

They accrue ~$27K in cap space for each day Farabee is out. Not all $5M. I doubt he goes on LTIR (or, if he is...). If he's out three weeks they accrue ~$577K.

Every little bit helps. But they need to be at the cap for it to accrue.

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

i would think Chuck takes the axe....and here comes Danny...

Who they fire four years later for not being able to dig out of the mess Fletcher left.

It's the way they've always done things.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Edited by radoran
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Not being able to sign the top free agent, who reportedly wants to sign here; Is peak Chuck Fletcher incompetence...and should be grounds for dismissal. 

So stupid I can't even.

Here's Chuck's theme song today:

Trapped, I'm trapped
Trapped, I'm trapped
Trapped, I'm trapped
Trapped, I'm trapped
What did I do to deserve this?
I've painted myself into a corner
Painted myself into a corner
No windows, doors or a ladder
Trapped, I'm trapped
Trapped, I'm trapped
Running down a black alley way
Trash cans, chain link fence line the way
I'm trapped
I'm trapped
Trapped, I'm trapped
Trapped, I'm trapped
Dug a hole and there's nowhere to go
Mental rut, I'm going nuts!
Trapped, I'm trapped
Trapped, I'm trapped

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

They accrue ~$27K in cap space for each day Farabee is out. Not all $5M. I doubt he goes on LTIR (or, if he is...). If he's out three weeks they accrue ~$577K.

Every little bit helps. But they need to be at the cap for it to accrue.

Yes using the LTIR makes it difficult to bank cap space during the season but relax Chuckles has a plan we just need to remain patient while he ply's his craft let have a live peak in to his office now...

Office Party GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

He just hung up with Johnny...

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I’m not going to convince you but nearly everyone is playing one line or pairing higher than they should be.

Really...besides Hayes who should be the 3rd line center please point them out???

I could see swapping Konecny with Atkinson but yeah i don't know what you're seeing that i am not.

image.png.c18df895fb31e1b4b5dbd06aaa5012db.png

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

too rich for The Flyers….. simply not enough cap room…… 

Farabee to LITR along with Ellis, no problem figure out the rest of it later.

I figured that out in about 40 seconds of thinking about it.

Truly I'm over these dickheads "running this clown show"

sausage cooking GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

too rich for The Flyers….. simply not enough cap room…… 

The room is there, but the implications are immense.

Ellis would essentially be done for (at least) this season OR they will need to move someone like a Sanheim/Konecny (don't tell Occ) to get in compliance to bring him back.

Farabee would be out probably a couple months.

With the offseason exemption (IIRC 10% - $8.2M) they can just squeeze a $10M contract in.

Then they have 10 forwards, six defence, and a goalie.

It's an aggressive retool... by a tool...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, radoran said:
2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

i would think Chuck takes the axe....and here comes Danny...

Who they fire four years later for not being able to dig out of the mess Fletcher left.

It's the way they've always done things.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

When the people grooming the air apparent, are some of the dumbest minds in the business, how can you reasonably expect him to be any better then they are?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Really...besides Hayes who should be the 3rd line center please point them out???

I could see swapping Konecny with Atkinson but yeah i don't know what you're seeing that i am not.

What do you mean, besides Hayes?  Everyone in that lineup should be playing below where they are, especially Hayes, with the possible exceptions of Farabee, Tippet, and maybe Konecny.