Flyers Buy Out Lindblom

radoran

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-charities-to-make-100000-donation-in-oskars-name-to-a-local-organization-that-supports-families-impacted-by-cancer/c-334935740

You know they're going to do something with that cap space...

Flyers gain ~$333K this year on top of the $3M space and take a ~$667K hit next year.

Lindblom was scheduled to make $4M on his deal this season with a $3M cap hit.

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-charities-to-make-100000-donation-in-oskars-name-to-a-local-organization-that-supports-families-impacted-by-cancer/c-334935740

Flyers gain ~$333K this year on top of the $3M space and take a ~$667K hit next year.

Damn it.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Bill Meltzer is not of the body on this one...

I feel like they still pulled the plug on the kid too soon...WTFever....i hope he turns into a 30 goal scorer next season on a good team.

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

JVR is STILL part of the team and Oskar isn't...

Buying out JVR doesn't get them the space the Lindblom does. Lindblom clears all $3M and gives a bonus $333K bump this year as well. JVR's contract is structured exactly the opposite of Lindblom (he got paid less per year over time) and only nets them $2.66M in space and they get a $1.3M hit next year.

That $700K can be the difference between a $9.5M offer and a $10.2M offer...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, radoran said:

so we keep lazy half a$$$$ JVR and move on from someone who beat cancer .......  :dizzysmiley-1:

Seriously can't make this crap up ......

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Buying out JVR doesn't get them the space the Lindblom does.

Yeah i know i just can't stand JVR and i like Oskar and think he was turning the corner at the end of last even though he was playing in the bottom 6 with AHLers and kids.

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yeah Chuck is licking his lips after mid night tonight the Flames can't offer Johnny an 8 year deal anymore so i am sure they are waiting this out...preparing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Buying out JVR doesn't get them the space the Lindblom does. Lindblom clears all $3M and gives a bonus $333K bump this year as well. JVR's contract is structured exactly the opposite of Lindblom (he got paid less per year over time) and only nets them $2.66M in space and they get a $1.3M hit next year.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I get it, the $$$ aspect of it, but it still irritates the hell out of me .....

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

This had been discussed for some time given the economics/structure of the contract--it was a juicy buyout given structure and player age.  That said, the optics suck (hence the contribution), particularly a few days after the TD signing.  We lose someone with exemplary character and gain flotsam.  It makes me sad.  Yes, there is a business angle to sport, but this decision reflects badly on the organization.  It's another indicator of organizational rot.  

Meanwhile, some team is going to take a flyer (no pun intended...or maybe it is) on the kid for a million and probably reap a solid, versatile winger.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess they feel guilty especially knowing JVR is STILL part of the team and Oskar isn't...

...big whoopee...

Cmon now. That's still a classy move. I admire OL too, but this is a business

• Uggh... 1

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

What are the odds?

6.02x10(23) out of 10.

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

I admire OL too, but this is a business

And, it is. And they structured the contract specifically to give him a juicier buyout if he hadn't gotten back to form.

But Meltzer - of all people - points out that he did round back into shape last season.

So, the "business" isn't that Lindblom "can't play".

It's that there's a shiny toy out there that they would rather have and that they're willing to throw Oskar over the side to get it.

Which is still "business" but also, too, kinda "******"...

#Flyers

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, radoran said:

6.02x10(23) out of 10.

And, it is. And they structured the contract specifically to give him a juicier buyout if he hadn't gotten back to form.

But Meltzer - of all people - points out that he did round back into shape last season.

So, the "business" isn't that Lindblom "can't play".

It's that there's a shiny toy out there that they would rather have and that they're willing to throw Oskar over the side to get it.

Which is still "business" but also, too, kinda "******"...

#Flyers

They paid Oskar like a first or second line player. That's not organizational incompetence, and not Oskar's fault that the Flyers front office is completely arrogant, and clueless. I would have taken the money, too, and I wish him great success wherever he plays.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

This takes us back to that morality standard Flyer fans hold dear. Oscar is a good guy and a hero for his battle. And for that, the Flyers get skewered for moving him. The fact that he probably isn't a part the future, and is at best a 4th line guy, is dismissed as irrelevant.

Personally, I would much rather have the 2nd leading scorer, and legit mvp candidate, than a fantastic human interest story

You can't win with a roster full of  bottom six players who are nice guys  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

They paid Oskar like a first or second line player. That's not organizational incompetence, and not Oskar's fault that the Flyers front office is completely arrogant, and clueless. I would have taken the money, too, and I wish him great success wherever he plays.

Yeah they paid him like that then stuck him on the 4th.

Wonder why he didn't produce more?

Whatever over and done with.

Can't wait to see what is their next move.

Since they landed JVR and Hayes it is only natural to think the local boy is their target.

Hayes was his sponsor at BC and he is good friends with Atkinson who was gone his first year at BC playing with Hayes.

So makes me wonder will Hayes switch to #12 and give Johnny his #13 like the BC days?

• Like 1