Pea-Brain GM Signs Nicholas Deslauriers Who Can’t Play Hockey For 4 Years

SCFlyguy

On 7/19/2022 at 3:25 PM, CoachX said:

Hockey teams have had guys like this on their rosters forever. The Flyers have had more tan their fair share

I think you're so grumpy at the state of the Flyers right now, you'd argue they are really fro Philadelphia

Have "had" guys like this.  Had being the key word there.  Unfortunately, in the new NHL which isn't so new anymore, though maybe it still is to the Flyers because God knows they've had trouble adjusting, players like this don't add much to a winning formula anymore, if anything.  Once upon a time they could dominate on the ice, as the Flyers did of old, and that'd help you win games.  I loved watching the old Flyers.  They were good at that game and they won.  Now, not so much.  Now I just want the Flyers to win games and win how the NHL dictates you must win.  And that means changing the formula which the Flyers haven't managed to figure out and do yet.  It's time, Flyers.  Get with the new program and rebuild, retool, re-whatever, accordingly.  Just win games.  And don't sign players like this to do it.  It doesn't work.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

For one year, not four.

Reaves is 35, Nic is 31. 

Pretty sure Reaves would have gotten more term if the ages were reversed. 

Not that it matters though. You guys just want to hate everything and everybody and I sort of get that. It's definitely a burning dumpster fire as a franchise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

This ND signing kind of makes some sense from a business perspective. I read on here somewhere, someone saying he will have 15 fights this season (Thats about 14 more than Scott Laughton). Ok, that will be a significant uptick in fights, assuming ZM doesn't drop the gloves more. The Flyers are known, and regarded for fighting. Fans love it. Given that it is almost a certainty that there will be alot of empty seats, having more players fighting may draw more fans to the arena. It has been argued on here the merits of butts in the seats, so I won't rehash any of that. However, if rough and tumble players can draw fan enthusiasm, that isnt a bad thing from a business perspective. In the mean time, Tortorella can focus on building the team with the core players, and youngsters coming up. He can get his system in place, without really being concerned about ND, his contract, or overall value to the club long term. And as OC stated, the guy can be waived as soon as his usefulness is gone. I also think there is some value in having a player like this to watch the back of others. Hell, if Riley Cote can become well liked in Philly, so can ND. After all Cote only won one fight in his entire career (2 if you count the same guy twice in the same game), and prolly set an NHL record for most damage to opposing players fist by headbutting them with his face.

None of what I am typing suggests the guy is a good player, or that I like the deal. I don't. It was stupid, and I hate Fletcher, he's a dick. But I guess the aggressive "retool" is dead, and even though it isn't being said, it looks like a rebuild to me, with the exception they have no money to bring in any young talent. I think they are just trying to tred water now, give the fans something to watch, while waiting to jettison the dead weight next season

they should have jettison everyone at the trade deadline, get the younger players in here and bring like someone like a burns, trade for debrincat, sign johnny g, sign rutta, i think this team would be better on paper not a contender, at least it's something exciting to watch, instead of watching jvr, tk, sanheim, provy play like crap again, i would rather see york, zamula, and another young dman coming up, wont hurt since you have experience right d which is good balance.

now i understand, why people want young players on here they just want something different on the ice instead of the same old players that been here and failing us for a decade.

16 hours ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

Have "had" guys like this.  Had being the key word there.  Unfortunately, in the new NHL which isn't so new anymore, though maybe it still is to the Flyers because God knows they've had trouble adjusting, players like this don't add much to a winning formula anymore, if anything.  Once upon a time they could dominate on the ice, as the Flyers did of old, and that'd help you win games.  I loved watching the old Flyers.  They were good at that game and they won.  Now, not so much.  Now I just want the Flyers to win games and win how the NHL dictates you must win.  And that means changing the formula which the Flyers haven't managed to figure out and do yet.  It's time, Flyers.  Get with the new program and rebuild, retool, re-whatever, accordingly.  Just win games.  And don't sign players like this to do it.  It doesn't work.

I think you missed my point completely.  You want wins. I want wins. But that ship has sailed. They cannot win with this current roster. We know it, they know it, the league knows it. So knowing they cannot realistically win, and could only slightly improve if some young players mature, they need to find a way to energize interest. People aren't going to come watch if they add another young player who is learning and finding his way. The end of last season showed that. They needed a "gimmick". Something to garner interest. Philly fans live fights, and they love fighters. Even if the team doesn't improve in the wins column, there will be more interest in watching if they think something exciting will take place

14 hours ago, tucson83 said:

they should have jettison everyone at the trade deadline, get the younger players in here and bring like someone like a burns, trade for debrincat, sign johnny g, sign rutta,

Yep. You're right. They should have. But they couldn't and they didn't. We're way past that now, and it's their own fault

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Yep. You're right. They should have. But they couldn't and they didn't. We're way past that now, and it's their own fault

I wonder if they decide to buyout JVR when the next buyout window opens August 15th?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wonder if they decide to buyout JVR when the next buyout window opens August 15th?

Wow, how great would that be? I get extreme aggravation just thinking about him being there....seething hatred

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CoachX said:

there will be more interest in watching if they think something exciting will take place

Well, they're apparently going to test this theory...

If he does fight "15 times" then fans have around a 1 in 5 chance of going to a home game in which he might drop the gloves.

Seems worth the ~$400+ investment to take a family of four to the game...

Spend ~$2,000 and you're almost guaranteed a fight.

#hockey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

"Well, have all the impact free agents been signed?"

"Almost all of them, sir"

"Great, time to free up some cap space this season and take an unnecessary hit next season!"

"Genius move, sir. Can I have a 2nd rounder?"

"Sure! Take two! And this roster player! You can figure out how to thank me later!"

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, radoran said:

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

If he does fight "15 times" then fans have around a 1 in 5 chance of going to a home game in which he might drop the gloves.

#hockey

If DL fights 15, and ZM matches (pun), that's 30 games. Mix in 5 more randoms, and maybe a line brawl, and thats somewhere around a third of the games

22 minutes ago, radoran said:

then fans have around a 1 in 5 chance of going to a home game in which he might drop the gloves

same chances that JVR might actually score a goal

I just want to say every time I see this thread title I laugh.

It conveys a sense of anger that is palpable.

The lack of punctuations allows for it to be read myriad ways, all of which make me laugh. It is genius.

@SCFlyguy

I'm kind of over being mad about these dipshits though. 

It's making my belly hurt and my pets won't come near me unless I'm feeding them, so I gotta find something else to think about. 

• Like 3

On 7/21/2022 at 9:21 AM, CoachX said:

I think you missed my point completely.  You want wins. I want wins. But that ship has sailed. They cannot win with this current roster. We know it, they know it, the league knows it. So knowing they cannot realistically win, and could only slightly improve if some young players mature, they need to find a way to energize interest. People aren't going to come watch if they add another young player who is learning and finding his way. The end of last season showed that. They needed a "gimmick". Something to garner interest. Philly fans live fights, and they love fighters. Even if the team doesn't improve in the wins column, there will be more interest in watching if they think something exciting will take place

I totally got your point, I just think it's highly debatable.  I use myself as an example -- would I tune in more, sign up again for another season of center ice just to see more fights.  Nope.  Would I be interested in, or more likely to watch younger players play, learn, and develop?  Probably.  I do agree that they can't win with this current roster, so we have that in common.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, radoran said:

#hockey

Great post!  CoachX's theory may be somewhat more compelling or entertaining if they're going to win their fights.  If the Flyers fight and lose that's just like rubbing salt in the wound and you're out quite a bit of money for nothing.  Money for nothin' and your chicks for free....according to the Dire Straits.  I just hope they can win at something even if it is a season of fighting instead of competitive, quality hockey!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

I just hope they can win at something even if it is a season of fighting instead of competitive, quality hockey!!

And I get that. I grew up a Flyers fan. I know what the "fanbase wants".

But there hasn't been a "fighting" team that has won a Stanley Cup in... generations?

"Tough to play against" doesn't mean "has a goon who will drop the gloves" it means controlling the play, controlling the puck, scoring goals, and winning hockey games.

CAN a fight change momentum? Sure. But if we're honest, we've all seen it go both ways. If you're already a losing club, having a clown show doesn't make you tough to play against.

Not to mention there ain't many hockey moms and dads who are taking their kids out the games to see a fight these days.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, radoran said:

And I get that. I grew up a Flyers fan. I know what the "fanbase wants".

But there hasn't been a "fighting" team that has won a Stanley Cup in... generations?

"Tough to play against" doesn't mean "has a goon who will drop the gloves" it means controlling the play, controlling the puck, scoring goals, and winning hockey games.

CAN a fight change momentum? Sure. But if we're honest, we've all seen it go both ways. If you're already a losing club, having a clown show doesn't make you tough to play against.

Not to mention there ain't many hockey moms and dads who are taking their kids out the games to see a fight these days.

I agree with you on all points, actually.  There hasn't been -- which is why I've been posting that the Flyers have got to learn to adapt to play, compete, and win in this new era, sans fighting.  They can't rest on those laurels anymore.  When I was posting about CoachX's theory, which I don't necessarily endorse (that's just my opinion and he's welcome to his), I was being facetious when saying that if the plan is to put a fighting team on the ice, at least I hope they can win at that -- because I'm not entirely convinced they can execute that strategy successfully and even win fights, or a fight, the way things are going with this team at this time.  

• Like 2

Im obviously a big fan of fighting in hockey. I think the NHL neutered itself when they clamped down on it, and for a large part, the physical aspect of the game. However, I got tired of the goon vs. goon staged fight that served no purpose. Was it fun to watch? At first, yes. But then it was just mundane. To the points being made here, I really hate when the Flyers trot out a so called tough guy, and he ends up using his face as a battering ram. Riley Cote used to skate around warmups avoiding the blue line like my dog avoids the electric perimeter fence in my backyard. And its been downhill ever since. I still believe having a guy who puts some level of "fear", or maybe "pause" would be more accurate, in other teams, is a good thing. Im not sure the Flyers have done that in this case

But, I hold to my original point. In the absence of anything else good going on, at least if the team is entertaining (fights), it might put some butts in seats. Personally I would tune in to watch a tough Flyers team lose, then the kids out there getting their feet wet in a year long training camp

Caveat: I love Torts, so I might watch a few games just becasue he is coach

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CoachX said:

However, I got tired of the goon vs. goon staged fight that served no purpose. Was it fun to watch? At first, yes. But then it was just mundane.

And this is where it went off the rails.

The entire point of Deslauriers is to fight. There is really nothing else. Fine, he can occupy space on a PK.

Fought 11 times with the Ducks and they were 4-7. Three more with the Wild and they were 2-1 - losing to the Blues.

The Blues then took the playoff series 4-2, with Deslauriers not playing more than 10 minutes in any game, putting up zero points, no PIMs, and was scratched for Game 6.

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a four year deal.

I don't at all "hate the player" - he found some damn fool to give me that contract and he took it.

Good for him.

Bad for the Flyers.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, radoran said:

And this is where it went off the rails.

The entire point of Deslauriers is to fight. There is really nothing else. Fine, he can occupy space on a PK.

Fought 11 times with the Ducks and they were 4-7. Three more with the Wild and they were 2-1 - losing to the Blues.

The Blues then took the playoff series 4-2, with Deslauriers not playing more than 10 minutes in any game, putting up zero points, no PIMs, and was scratched for Game 6.

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a four year deal.

I don't at all "hate the player" - he found some damn fool to give me that contract and he took it.

Good for him.

Bad for the Flyers.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Well the only thing ND is good for is sliding towards having better odds at selecting Bedard.

Otherwise Zack was all they needed in today's NHL.

So not sure why Chuckles insisted on two goons. But here we are. :CelebratingSmiley2:

• Like 1

Im obviously a big fan of fighting in hockey

I was.  I still watch the video of the Ottawa/Philly brawl, because that crap was fun as hell. I still enjoy a good fight here and there that is the culmination of emotion and chippy play, etc.  Not so much the retaliatory fight for a clean hit or a staged thing off a face off for god knows why.

I still believe having a guy who puts some level of "fear", or maybe "pause" would be more accurate, in other teams, is a good thing.

I wanted to ask about this, though.   Because I'm legitimately struggling to think of anyone like that on other teams.  I mean, Wilson in Washington, but it seems we're more concerned about axe murder or a cheap knee v. knee or blind-side hit or something than an actual fight.   But maybe that too.  Other than that, does this actually exist anywhere? The answers are probably obvious and "oh...yeah!" but I'm struggling to think of any on my own.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2