The Flyers fans Rant Thread after D-Day (Disaster Day)

pilldoc

How do you really feel?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Flyers off season so far. (includes Trades / FA signings)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. Rate the Flyers Draft

• A - Outstanding
    • B- - Good
    • C - OK
    • D- Meh - could have been better
    • F - Epic Failure
  3. 3. How many games do the Flyers win this season?

• 50+ (Stanley Cup Bound)
    • 45-50 (Playoff Bound)
    • 35-45 (Close but no playoffs)
    • 25-35 (just a bad hockey team)
    • less than 25 (horrifically bad and in the chase for Bedard)
  4. 4. Will you watch this team at all this year .....

• Hell Yes! - I am a die hard fan no matter what
    • Yes but not as many games as in years past
    • No - the occasional score check and if I am bored or into FHL
    • Hell No! - this team is a train wreck and a disaster and not worth my time this year.
  5. 5. When do you think Fletch gets fired

• Oct. (start of the season 10-15 games in)
    • Nov or Dec (15-35 games in)
    • Jan or Feb (35-50 games in)
    • After Feb (50 + games in)
    • He will not be fired during the season

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Chuckles believes Nic Deslaurier is more valuable to the Flyers than Owen Tippett.

Signing >30-year olds has been one of Fletcher’s priorities since he took over. Investing time in developing younger guys would look too much like a rebuild. The Flyers don’t want even a whiff of that to get around.

• Like 3

On 7/29/2022 at 9:37 AM, OccamsRazor said:

It's been seven years, so it's something that probably goes above and beyond the coaching."

It's just like that old witch woman said it would be!

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 2

On 7/29/2022 at 1:53 PM, flyer4ever said:

Chuckles believes Nic Deslaurier is more valuable to the Flyers than Owen Tippett. Another fire-able offence. What a tool.

He does? 

Did he say something like that?

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 5:53 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

Signing >30-year olds has been one of Fletcher’s priorities since he took over. Investing time in developing younger guys would look too much like a rebuild. The Flyers don’t want even a whiff of that to get around.

As someone else said, there is of course a Minnesota connection here with Deslauriers. That’s all Chuck needs to open the checkbook, cap space what the hey. 

On 7/29/2022 at 2:53 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

I don't think that's it. I think it's delusional thinking that they are close and just need one or two guys and a good coach and then everything will be roses. They are clueless. But that's why they keep bringing in older guys who are available and looking for a payday. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

As someone else said, there is of course a Minnesota connection here with Deslauriers. That’s all Chuck needs to open the checkbook, cap space what the hey. 

I'm practically from Minnesota, I don't undertsand why I haven't gotten a call. I'm good in the room.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I think it's delusional thinking that they are close

Good god you’re probably right. They’re not worried about the optics of a rebuild. Why should they be? They don’t think they need one. 

But I can’t quite believe that. Nobody in their right mind could look at that roster, look at the moves Fletcher made this season (or since he took over) and say to fans “we’re close.” I mean…that’s a fkng joke right? He can’t even say “we’re closer” because it’s so obviously untrue. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some truly abysmal numbers I just came across .......

Philadelphia special teams offered no safe haven. Their penalty kill was ineffective with a kill rate of just 75.7% (ranked 26th).

The power play was historically abysmal, converting on just 12.6% of their
opportunities.

Was it bad systems? Bad personnel? Or bad luck? Probably all of the above, but there is
one number worth highlighting: the shooting percentage on the power play. The Flyers converted power play shots into goals with just 7.8% success.

Read that sentence once more. The Flyers converted power play shots into goals with just 7.8% success. Now, consider that the league average shooting percentage for
5-on-5 hockey is 8.5%. The Flyers were less effective at scoring with four opposing skaters on the ice than the average NHL team is when there are five opposing skaters. Hell! The Flyers were less effective at scoring with four opposing skaters on the ice than the Flyers were at scoring with five opposing players on the ice!

Fans joke about teams being allowed to decline power play opportunities when their team is in a cold spell. This joke became a reality for the Flyers. They truly were a less effective team on the man advantage than they were at even-strength. 

To put an exclamation point on just how bad this Flyers' power play was: the Flyers scored just 30 power play goals all season. That's the third-lowest total (among 1,036 individual team seasons) in the NHL since the 1977-1978 season when the NHL began recording the data.

33 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

They truly were a less effective team on the man advantage than they were at even-strength. 

I'm sure the *checks notes* nothing they've done about it will improve the situation.

Oh, wait, they hired a coach who once tried to beat up a player.

I'm sure the *checks notes* not much they've done about it will improve the situation.

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Some truly abysmal numbers I just came across .......

Philadelphia special teams offered no safe haven. Their penalty kill was ineffective with a kill rate of just 75.7% (ranked 26th).

The power play was historically abysmal, converting on just 12.6% of their
opportunities.

Was it bad systems? Bad personnel? Or bad luck? Probably all of the above, but there is
one number worth highlighting: the shooting percentage on the power play. The Flyers converted power play shots into goals with just 7.8% success.

Read that sentence once more. The Flyers converted power play shots into goals with just 7.8% success. Now, consider that the league average shooting percentage for
5-on-5 hockey is 8.5%. The Flyers were less effective at scoring with four opposing skaters on the ice than the average NHL team is when there are five opposing skaters. Hell! The Flyers were less effective at scoring with four opposing skaters on the ice than the Flyers were at scoring with five opposing players on the ice!

Fans joke about teams being allowed to decline power play opportunities when their team is in a cold spell. This joke became a reality for the Flyers. They truly were a less effective team on the man advantage than they were at even-strength. 

To put an exclamation point on just how bad this Flyers' power play was: the Flyers scored just 30 power play goals all season. That's the third-lowest total (among 1,036 individual team seasons) in the NHL since the 1977-1978 season when the NHL began recording the data.

Well, that was painful! 

1 hour ago, fan4ever said:

Well, that was painful! 

Well you have to admit that most of us are not shocked.

We already knew they sucked bad and now we just have the numbers to back that up.

MEH.

They have Nic and Tony now everything is going to be fine.

:beer:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well you have to admit that most of us are not shocked.

We already knew they sucked bad and now we just have the numbers to back that up.

MEH.

They have Nic and Tony now everything is going to be fine.

:beer:

I hear Nic is awesome on the PP from the half wall.

• Haha 1