Game 41: Philadelphia Flyers at Buffalo Sabres; 1/9/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

I'm seeing the Sabres as favorites (-150).  They are a hot team (8-2 over last ten) and only 4 points out of a wildcard.   

They are atop the league in scoring and 2nd on the power play:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-buf/2023/01/09/2022020990

Craig Anderson is ageless--a 2.71 GAA and .923 save percentage.  OMG.  

It's the halfway point of the season, playing a team that seams to be finding its way out of the woods.  

1 minute ago, Samifan said:

Ersson is the real ***** deal

It will Danny B the tools needed now to blow it up and rebuild in the offseason.

Hart and Koencny will make a very nice package for real. Maybe keep Errson to start Felix to back up for 2023...

37 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Felix Sandstrom. Pack your bags. Sorry bro nothing personal Ersson just moves better/quicker than you. I wish you well.

Ersson may be better than Hart.  Too early to tell but I've liked the kid since seeing him a few years ago at their training center.

Sandstrom would have to be traded, as he would most likely be picked up if waived to the AHL.

Edited by Fuzz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Ersson may be better than Hart. 

Yes you never know now.

Everyone has been clamoring to blow it up and rebuild so yes Hart and TK could bring them a nice haul towards that.

However it needs to be the next GM to do it....

2 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Ersson may be better than Hart.  Too early to tell but I've liked the kid since seeing him a few years ago at their training center.

Sandstrom would have to be traded, as he would most likely be picked up if waived to the AHL.

So seems a lot of thought on who to trade.

Flyers Could Deal Defenseman Ivan Provorov

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2023/01/09/philadelphia-flyers-trade-talk-ivan-provorov-kevin-hayes-james-van-riemsdyk-rumor-elliotte-friedman/

All I know if they let Chuck move this kid I may permanently become a Hurricane fan.

• Like 1

Well that was definitely Tort's "hard to play against" hockey wasn't it? Sabres like to free wheel and they just clogged everything up and kept everything to the outside. Won the game on basic straight ahead physicality in front. It's not an exciting style and it doesn't provide a lot of colorful highlights but it can be effective in shutting down these sort of softer skating oriented teams. 

I suppose one could say it's just about the only way a low skill team like this can win, so hats off to Torts. 

Ersson was good but didn't really have to work too hard overall. Still, if you do want to fully tear down and rebuild maybe trading Hart isn't as horrible an idea as I thought earlier. 

• Like 1

I guess Anderson aged quickly on our behalf.  It helps when a fourth line scores.  In this case, they set the tone for the game.  Ersson puts Sandstrom in the third spot for G.  About my only complaint/negative is going 0-3 on PP.  Last night was 0-4.  Not good.

So, Ovi up next.  Always tough.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Seven points out.

All five teams ahead of them lost and only three of them have games in hand.

Definitely a playoff team. Anything can happen.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

The scariest part of this is what Chuckles and Homie think they could bring in with our 1st for the big playoff push.

When most of us think it's time to blow it up you just know these idiots are thinking...

chris-farley-running.gif

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

19 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The scariest part of this is what Chuckles and Homie think they could bring in with our 1st for the big playoff push.

What gets me is that they went into this season expecting to be in the hunt for a playoff spot. That's the whole point in the Deangelo trade.

They're looking at this as "if we had Atkinson and Couturier, we're right in this!"

"Right in this" being a mediocre, bubble playoff team. Again.

As long as the goal is "make the playoff and anything can happen" they're going to be in the same position they've been in since the lockout. Good enough to "compete for the playoffs" and not good enough to do anything once they're there.

For some fans "the playoffs" are exciting and making them is an achievement. For those of us who've been watching this Groundhog Day story play out for 20, 30, 40 years, it's kind of lost its lustre.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I think they might carry 3 goalies for the remainder of the season.

Ersson is waiver exempt so he could be yo-yoed between LHV and the Flyers. 

I don't know how I feel about that though, I think mostly not good.

But you're right Sandstrom will not clear.

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

For some fans "the playoffs" are exciting and making them is an achievement. For those of us who've been watching this Groundhog Day story play out for 20, 30, 40 years, it's kind of lost its lustre.

That was many years ago for me. I know you've felt the same. 

For those who think rads first sentence is right, just wait. Maybe it's next year, maybe it's 5, maybe longer. But YOU WILL eventually be preaching the 2nd sentence. Cause it's never going to change until they blow it up.