Horvat traded to NYI

Brewin Flames

Horvat traded to Islanders by Canucks

Has 31 goals this season; Vancouver receives Beauvillier, Raty, conditional 1st-round pick

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 16 minutes ago
  •  
cut.jpg

Bo Horvat was traded to the New York Islanders by the Vancouver Canucks on Monday for forwards Anthony Beauvillier and Aatu Raty, and a conditional first-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft.

Horvat, who is in the final season of a six-year, $33 million contract he signed with the Canucks on Sept. 8, 2017, can become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

The 27-year-old center has 54 points, including tying his NHL career high with 31 goals, in 49 games this season.

Selected by Vancouver with the No. 9 pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, Horvat has 420 points (201 goals, 219 assists) in 621 regular-season games, and 16 points (11 goals, five assists) in 23 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Beauvillier, 25, has 20 points (nine goals, 11 assists) in 49 games this season. Selected by New York with the No. 28 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, he has 209 points (102 goals, 107 assists) in 457 regular season games.

Raty has two goals in 12 games as a rookie this season. The 20-year-old was a second-round pick (No. 52) in the 2021 NHL Draft.

New York (25-22-6) is sixth in the Metropolitan Division, two points behind the Pittsburgh Penguins for the second wild card into the playoffs from the Eastern Conference.

Vancouver (20-26-3) is sixth in the Pacific Division, 14 points behind the Colorado Avalanche for the second wild card from the Western Conference.

6 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Well, that came out of Nowhere like a Randy Orton RKO....

So much for the Bruins acqurieng the next big thing at center

Yea, I honestly didn't see the Islanders as a possible destination.
Within their own division, I've read Oilers or Kraken.... in the Central, Minnesota, Colorado, with Dallas as a dark horse.

In the East, the Bruins, Hurricanes, Rangers, even read a line or two about the Red Wings inquiring.
Didn't see the Isles.
In fact, looked to me like the Isles might be sellers or at least a re-tool on the fly type situation. Is Horvat gonna stick around for any of that?
He is gonna want some big money.

He already turned down a nice offer from Vancouver to stay on...he is probably asking for something like 9M per.

Anyways, chit...NOW, I'm gonna have to update my profile cover photo (Horvat is one of my favorite players in the league who doesn't play for the Lightning or Wild), AND if Vancouver continues to trade off players, I will have to rethink who will be my bandwagon third team....I just might have to go Isles!

I still like JT Miller, Thatcher Demko, Luke Schenn in Vancouver.
But if Bo is gone, the likelihood of those guys staying on isn't very high.
Brock Boeser, not a particular favorite of mine, is likely heading out too.

Canucks will probably move forward building around Hughes, Pettersson, and Kuzmenko.

Horvat no longer a Canuck.
I sorta knew this may happen this year, but still gonna take a bit to get used to him in another uni.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hmm...

Kind of a weak return.

-Beuvillier is alright, but over-priced for what he brings, especially at his cap hit: 0.5 PPG @ $4.1M isn't great in this offensive environment. They already have a player like him in Connor Garland: quick, small, doesn't really care that there are two nets on the ice.

-Raty is an OK prospect, but from the Jack Studnicka tree of forwards.

-imo, the 1st is the only thing of much possible value.

-Rutherford made an absolute mess of the JT Miller / Horvat situation, and Canucks fans should be furious. This team is mess – they won’t have any cap space to fix things until summer 2025, a large portion of which will go to Pettersson’s extension, and also have one of the most underwhelming group of prospects in the NHL.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Didn't see the Isles.

Expect Lou to see about re-signing him and then dealing him if he won't sign.

In classic form, right after the break the Canucks visit the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders...

I wonder... If the Canucks refused to deal Horvat to either the Kraken, Oilers, or Knights because of the divisional thing, if Horvat doesn't stay on with NY, he could end up traded BACK into the Pacific anyways, or sign with a team there as a free agent.

That's why I never did buy into the "don't trade a player within your division" spiel.
That doesn't really guarantee he won't end up with a division rival anyways.

If the Islanders really made the best offer, then ok.... but as @JR Ewing pointed out, the return was not as much as was being rumored, so there has to be some question whether a division rival offered a better deal than NY, but VAN didn't want their captain going to them.

• Like 1

I hope Barzal doesn't get used to it. I doubt Horvat is staying.

I don't think I like this if I'm an Isles fan.  He's not staying, so you trade yet another first and a prospect for a rental in a year where the rental really isn't going to be enough.

I mean, it makes them better. I mean, if the idea is to get them into the playoffs, woohoo!

But a rental to finish 4th in the division?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Beauvillier is just another winger who scores 15 goals, god Vancouver loves collecting these guys. On top of that the new coach is already moaning in the press conferences the team is soft and beauvillier may be the softest player in the game. Studied a bit on raty, decent prospect listed as a center but best position is probably the wing. Everything I read says cocky and scorer he will take his lumps but he is the key just not this year.

It just dawned on me, horvat and Cory Schneider are teammates now. Previous Vancouver regime screwed up the net between luongo and Schneider finally trading him for the pick that became horvat. Now teammates it's went full circle. And Vancouver continues the clown show, horvat there for a decade of Loui Eriksson and Jay beagle and Tyler Myers and AHL goalies masquerading as nhlers. The disfunction continues....

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

Hard to believe it's only a little over a decade since Vancouver came oh sooo close to the cup. Seems so long ago.

For the non hockey fans, it isn't long enough as I don't think they can stand zealots trying to burn the town down again so soon :ph34r:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Hmm...

Kind of a weak return.

-Beuvillier is alright, but over-priced for what he brings, especially at his cap hit: 0.5 PPG @ $4.1M isn't great in this offensive environment. They already have a player like him in Connor Garland: quick, small, doesn't really care that there are two nets on the ice.

-Raty is an OK prospect, but from the Jack Studnicka tree of forwards.

-imo, the 1st is the only thing of much possible value.

-Rutherford made an absolute mess of the JT Miller / Horvat situation, and Canucks fans should be furious. This team is mess – they won’t have any cap space to fix things until summer 2025, a large portion of which will go to Pettersson’s extension, and also have one of the most underwhelming group of prospects in the NHL.

Agree with everything completely except Raty, been studying his numbers and reports, high second rounder scoring touch, listed as a center but better off on the wing. I think this guy may be a great get, probably bounce up and down between Vancouver and the AHL this year but I think he has second line scorer potential. I hate beauvillier, soft winger 15 goals to go along with the other half dozen Vancouver has exactly like him 

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

For the non hockey fans, it isn't long enough as I don't think they can stand zealots trying to burn the town down again so soon :ph34r:

I'll always remember the guy making push-ups while the car next to him was burning.

• Like 1

Was just thinking it's that time of the year, where we need a deadline trade thread. NHL cronies huddling at the All-Farce Game, trading chips as an amazing 20-plus teams posting statistically but dubious winning records in  a 32-team league go all in for a chair and a chance!

Edited by Icechipper
  • Like 1

From the Athletic:

It’s not often that we see a lose-lose trade in this league but the Canucks and Islanders may have pulled it off here.

For the Islanders, it’s a move that reeks of desperation for a team that’s farther out from the playoff race than meets the eye. On the surface, the Islanders are two points back, but in reality, they’re playing at a pace that puts them six points back of the Sabres. That’s difficult ground to make up, especially with a much stronger Panthers team nipping at their heels. The Islanders’ chances of making the playoffs were 14 percent before the trade. They’re 19 percent now.

That’s not a big difference, but that doesn’t mean Horvat isn’t a big difference-maker — just that the Islanders are in a precarious position where it will take more than Horvat for them to get where they need to go. Horvat is a first-line talent with a penchant for scoring goals and eating big minutes. That’s something this team desperately needs and his biggest asset being on the power play is a major plus. The Islanders rank 31st there.

The fit makes sense, it just doesn’t feel like a move a team in New York’s position should make. Yes, the first-round pick is protected, but there’s a very real chance the Islanders end up missing the playoffs and surrendering a mid-first. They’re in that mushy middle where the chance of that pick landing from 13th to 16th is 45 percent. In a deep draft for an ageing team outside its window, it’s a move that likely just prolongs the inevitable. A perhaps even more daunting scenario is that the pick isn’t protected if it slides to 2024 — a very risky proposition for this team.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Agree with everything completely except Raty, been studying his numbers and reports, high second rounder scoring touch, listed as a center but better off on the wing. I think this guy may be a great get, probably bounce up and down between Vancouver and the AHL this year but I think he has second line scorer potential.

I went with Studnicka as a comp because of the same draft position and, at the same age, they each produced a similar amount in the AHL. At this age, people talked about Studnicka in the exact same terms, though Raty seems to be a better skater: probably NHL average, where Studnicka's was below par. Time will tell and I hope, for Raty's sake, that things work out better for him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Math said:

Heard that Horvat was offered 8 years at $5.1M AAV. Not surprised he told the Canucks organization to f*** off.

A Vancouver talking head said he was offered 8x7.5 after his torrid start. Too little too late when new teammate barzal who is IMHO not in the same Convo as horvat gets 8x9.2 per year. The cap is going up, salaries will as well. Larkin will be the next shoe to drop if yzerman does not adjust his thinking.

31 minutes ago, Math said:

Heard that Horvat was offered 8 years at $5.1M AAV. Not surprised he told the Canucks organization to f*** off.

20 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

A Vancouver talking head said he was offered 8x7.5 after his torrid start. Too little too late when new teammate barzal who is IMHO not in the same Convo as horvat gets 8x9.2 per year. The cap is going up, salaries will as well. Larkin will be the next shoe to drop if yzerman does not adjust his thinking.

I obviously don't know the amount he was offered, but it HAD to be more than 5.1M per. That money is B-Level support player money and Horvat certainly is more than a B-level support player.
That either had to be inaccurate, or the Canucks really are out of their minds.

7.5M sounds like a more realistic offer, but given his age, his "career type year" he seems to be having, and his track record (even putting aside what others have gotten), unless the number AT LEAST started at 8.5, I don't see Horvat's camp listening very much.

He is gonna end up with somewhere from 9-9.5M per. Either from the Islanders or someone else.

• Like 1