Any players worth trading?

Fizz

16 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I didn't see what O'Connor said but that sounds way too hopeful to me. Fletcher and Co. shedding salary? That would imply they have a plan and I just don't buy it. They've been in BUY HIGH / SELL LOW mode for 4 years now and I doubt they'll change course while Fletcher is GM. If they do shed salary - beyond moving JVR I mean - it'll be to buy some other broken-down-but-still-shiny expensive veteran.

Sorry but I have to say I love what Torts says. I'm old school tough love guy.

But i also understand the agent doing his job too.

Fug em.

I agree with what Tortorella’s saying here but that’s an easy call especially if all the noise is coming from the agent.

I’m more interested in what he’d say about benching Sanheim in Calgary. He must’ve been asked about it…

”Why bench him tonight?”

JT: “He stunk in Vancouver.” (the previous game)

“Are you aware of Sanheim’s history in Calgary and that his family and friends, who rarely get to see him play in the NHL, were there?”

JT: “Tough titties. Play better.”

Maybe it was the right call. I got no problem with tough love. The trick is to bring both the Tough and the Love. Does Tortorella do that? I have no idea. Obviously he felt waiting one day - the Flyers played in Edmonton the next night - wouldn’t have the same impact.

Unfortunately the message didn’t take. Sanheim was no better in Edmonton. Neither was Farabee. But hey it’s a process right? That’s what I heard anyway…

Edited by GratefulFlyers

24 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Unfortunately the message didn’t take. Sanheim was no better in Edmonton. Neither was Farabee. But hey it’s a process right? That’s what I heard anyway…

The thing is that the tactic works sometimes for him and so he employs it all the time.

It works with some players, so if it doesn't work with this player it's the player's fault.

the simpsons adult GIF

Thing is, Sanheim has eight years and fifty million reasons that he doesn't give a rat's ass what Tortorella says. And his No Trade Clause likewise gives him a perspective that the coach just might not be here longer than the player.

So, here's the deal, if I play bad, you might bench me, and they might trade me to another team, but it's far more likely they'll change the coach.

They have before.

That's the danger side of the tactic with "today's player."

27 minutes ago, radoran said:

The thing is that the tactic works sometimes for him and so he employs it all the time.

It works with some players, so if it doesn't work with this player it's the player's fault.

the simpsons adult GIF

Thing is, Sanheim has eight years and fifty million reasons that he doesn't give a rat's ass what Tortorella says. And his No Trade Clause likewise gives him a perspective that the coach just might not be here longer than the player.

So, here's the deal, if I play bad, you might bench me, and they might trade me to another team, but it's far more likely they'll change the coach.

They have before.

That's the danger side of the tactic with "today's player."

Not to mention if he gets traded, odds are it's to a better franchise.

Odd are also it's for a lesser player.

Edited by flyercanuck

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Not to mention if he gets traded, odds are it's to a better franchise.

Odd are also it's for a lesser player.

You can't make a guy a guaranteed millionaire and keep treating him like a servant with the penalty being that he'll be paid millions of dollars to be somewhere you aren't.

Again, it works sometimes but it really hasn't shown to be an effective tactic at least since the lockout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

This team has turned into one gigantic soap opera ......

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Boy the league must be laughing hysterically at this clown show ......

Season 8 Clown GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

The dysfunction that is the Flyers has made them so completely irrelevant and insignificant I don't think the rest of the league even pays attention, except to call the chucktard when they have a broken down 30 year old they want to unload.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, radoran said:

the tactic works sometimes for him and so he employs it all the time.

I don’t think he’s been applying it very often in Philly. The 2 guys he benched earlier in the season, Hayes and Konecny both responded well. Very well actually. Until Sanheim the other night I don’t recall any others. Maybe Hayes again.

Is Sanheim the type to react positively to a publicly embarrassing “You Suck” message from the HC? Is anyone? I doubt it. He does look much better tonight. So does Farabee. Unfortunately besides Tippett and Hart they’re the only guys who came to work tonight.

re: the millions, the NTC I’m sure they play a part even if it’s subconsciously. But I hope (and believe) there are very few a-holes in the league who play strictly for the money. Naturally Fletcher finds the #1 poster boy for the cause and signs him to a 7 year deal. Give JVR a kindred spirit I guess.

Of course it’s patently stupid to bestow multi-millions on an unproven kid no matter how much potential he appears to have. The Flyers are hardly the only club that does it. I’m just not sure it’s much of a factor in Sanheim’s poor play. Granted it does make it easier for him to blow off his HC.

But you don’t make the NHL unless you’ve got (at the very least) some pride in your own game. The guaranteed money has become a necessary evil in the NHL but that’s no excuse for what they did with Sanheim. That was inexcusable, just plain dumb.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

35 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I don’t think he’s been applying it very often in Philly

No, but it is year one bad he's benched guys on long term deals.

No, not a bad thing in and of itself and with potential benefits.

It's year 3/4/5 where this approach starts to wear.

36 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

re: the millions, the NTC I’m sure they play a part even if it’s subconsciously. But I hope (and believe) there are very few a-holes in the league who play strictly for the money.

It's not "playing for the money" but if you can play somewhere else where this guy isn't trolling you for three years you might consider it.

Again, not a huge issue "today" but certainly one to be aware of in the medium term.

18 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Agreed but we don’t know he wants out we only know some guy tweeted his camp (!) is “voicing” concern or displeasure- whatever it was. 

I never thought much of Tortorella’s methods, at least the way they’ve been reported over the years. If he’s truly a hardass coach - great, these guys could probably use a friendly kick in the butt. But is it friendly? Constructive? If not, his time in Philly will be short, which is fine by me. He really soured me when he benched Sanheim when he did. I’m sure he had his reasons but it’s hard to see how that would do anything but create resentment. 

idk, but I do know there are quite a few players that liked Torts. Anyone want to argue that Nick Foligno isn't a character guy who plays hard all the time? He loved Torts and Torts loved him. There are others. I'm pretty sure if you listen and work hard Torts respects that and you get along fabulously. He will defend those guys too. 

The only question in today's game is where you draw the line and has Torts moved it over enough? It can be argued that today's players are often pampered spoiled brats used to getting their way so Torts has to manage them but also get them to buy in. IT's harder now I think than it used to be. They simply make way too much money and it's hard to get rich millionaires to listen I think. Unless they are character guys, and that's what we need to draft and keep. They will all be fine with it. 

On 2/23/2023 at 4:43 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

For whatever reason it's clear Farabee is struggling to play at his former high level. It's hard to see how that's the coach's fault...

It's hard to perform when your manager is a d###.

Seriously.  For every who cares Foligno I'll give you players with skill, like PLB.  Others.  He's a douche with a "remember the middle ages?" resume.   He wants to be General Patton but really is Generally Ridiculous.

I've said before and will again:  Torts is a side show. Period. He's won exactly squat in 19 years.  There are sophomores in college who weren't alive when Torts won with a really strong team.

He's a side show pompous ### that some worship for absolutely no imaginable reason other than that this organization sucks so bad that the Pennywise sideshow at least gives them something to talk about.

Flush the coaching staff and the front office before ANY player personnel moves are made.

Edited by ruxpin