^^ 2023 NHL Trade Deadline ^^

TropicalFruitGirl26

35 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Nino Neitterator to Jets for a ⛏️ from Nashville.

2nd rounder too.
Not a bad get for Nashville giving up Nino.

I'd have to check what the Wild got for him to see if Nino's value had gone up or down.
I was one of those people who thought Fenton should have gotten more for Nino than he did.

On 2/19/2023 at 6:26 PM, NHL HHOF said:

3 goals for Patrick Kane so far tonight! Does this mean he's staying with Chicago, and rebuilding the team next season? Should we read something into this?

I just tuned to NBC Sports Chicago, where their studio hosts are stalling and yakking until the game starts.  (No coverage of the Marleau tributes.)

Kane did not make the trip to San Jose. Their hosts feel sure his trade is in the immediate works.  They say Rangers.

Welp.
So much for the Lightning getting solid middle sixer Ivan Barbashev.
He goes to the Vegas Knights for what looks like a hot shot QMJ player, Zach Dean.
Hmm...the Bolts didn't have a very nice QMJ player they could have shipped for Barbashev??
I mean, picks weren't even exchanged (where the Bolts are short in currency).....ahhh, well. Maybe TB simply had no interest in parting with a player I have yet to know about.....

Next up, the Stars and Canadiens exchange deck chairs.
Habs ship Evgeni Dadonov to Dallas.... Stars send Denis Gurianov to Montreal.

Honestly, these two are pretty much the same player...except, the Stars now get the older and more expensive version.
I get it from MTL's point of view...I don't understand this from Dallas' side.

Looks like the Devils are very serious about winning this year:
Devils Acquire Timo Meier From Sharks: Reports - The Hockey News

This is a very preliminary report, so no return for the Sharks is reported.
I would speculate that a 1st rounder going to San Jose is in play, as well as a young roster player or two.

Forward Dawson Mercer? 
Defenseman Jonas Sieganthaler?
Maybe even 22 yr old goalie Akira Schmid, who has looked pretty good when NJ has called him up.

19 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

2nd rounder too.

I'd have to check what the Wild got for him to see if Nino's value had gone up or down.
I was one of those people who thought Fenton should have gotten more for Nino than he did.

Paul Fenton traded Nino Niederreiter to Carolina for Victor Rask straight up.

And that was without scouting Rask at all. 

Edited by IllaZilla

11 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Paul Fenton traded Nino Niederreiter to Carolina for Victor Rask straight up.

And that was without scouting Rask at all. 

Figured it was something unsavory like that.
So....Nashville got more for him than the Wild did.

Peachy. Just peachy. 🤨

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Looks like the Devils are very serious about winning this year:
Devils Acquire Timo Meier From Sharks: Reports - The Hockey News

This is a very preliminary report, so no return for the Sharks is reported.
I would speculate that a 1st rounder going to San Jose is in play, as well as a young roster player or two.

Forward Dawson Mercer? 
Defenseman Jonas Sieganthaler?
Maybe even 22 yr old goalie Akira Schmid, who has looked pretty good when NJ has called him up.

Wow. That is going to make the Eastern conference playoffs really interesting. 

Man.... Bolts traded away a CRAPLOAD of draft picks and Cal Foote for Tanner Jeannot!
I was hoping the Lightning would go get a Lawson Crouse (I feel the Bolts could use a big, rugged winger with some offense), but they go and get Jeannot instead.

Crouse has more of an offensive touch, but Jeannot is right up there with some of the toughest in the league...AND can play the game. 
Almost like a Brady or Matthew Tkachuk-lite.

But my goodness! The amount of draft picks given up!
I didn't think Cal Foote had a long term future with Tampa Bay, but I wonder if Jeannot doesn't work out, the Bolts could rue the day they traded away so many picks.

trade2.thumb.jpg.d150f4d2411c7862168d847a2cd43f5f.jpg

On 2/25/2023 at 10:19 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

2nd rounder too.

I feel bad for El Niño. I understand this move according to the Jets' identity: grit, size and toughness; but as long as Niederreiter will try to skate fast, be creative and find offensive solutions, his leash will be damn short. I always thought (and still think) the Jets are overperforming. They are in good position thank to Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Dubois, Scheifele and Connor having terrific season and it's fair weather type of team. Things are challenging right now and Bowness just need now to throw his players under the bus and taking absolutely no responsability like he always did in the past. Seeing Ehlers demoted on the 4th line is such a waste. 

18 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Next up, the Stars and Canadiens exchange deck chairs.
Habs ship Evgeni Dadonov to Dallas.... Stars send Denis Gurianov to Montreal.

Honestly, these two are pretty much the same player...except, the Stars now get the older and more expensive version.
I get it from MTL's point of view...I don't understand this from Dallas' side.

Montréal wanted to get rid of Dadonov as much as the Stars wanted to get rid of Gurianov. Both team are happy.

On the Stars perspective, the organization has tried everything to make it work for him, without success. He had some flashes here and there but that's about it. A one-dimension player with only two forces: speed and a lethal one-timer. Problem is, a terrible hockey IQ and can't teach that. The latest game, DeBoer (or Spott) put him back on the PP second unit on the... left side, where he's absolutely useless. So even if I don't expect much of him, Dadonov is an upgrade and the last chance to get the terrible PP going and capable to play with soon-to-be-a-confirmed-bust Marchment.

Also, Dadonov will be UFA at the end of the season with 50% of his salary retained by Montréal. So it's a +$400k gain for the Stars cap wise and if he sucks, they will just let him go. Gurianov is still a pending RFA eligible to arbitrage. So the risk for the Stars to lose him anyway for nothing was significant. At that point, why not get another player. And I also like the fact that they didn't give any picks. 

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Man.... Bolts traded away a CRAPLOAD of draft picks and Cal Foote for Tanner Jeannot!
I was hoping the Lightning would go get a Lawson Crouse (I feel the Bolts could use a big, rugged winger with some offense), but they go and get Jeannot instead.

Crouse has more of an offensive touch, but Jeannot is right up there with some of the toughest in the league...AND can play the game. 

I didn't think Cal Foote had a long term future with Tampa Bay, but I wonder if Jeannot doesn't work out, the Bolts could rue the day they traded away so many picks.

Fletcher is that you ........agree that is ALOT of draft capital for this type of player.  

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I can understand everything except the 2nd and 1st round picks. 
They are definitely in a win now mode. 

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Now, now....
Fletcher would have thrown in Anthony Cirelli or Mikhail Sergachev into the deal :shifty: 

You give him too much credit ;)

Edited by pilldoc

11 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I can understand everything except the 2nd and 1st round picks. 
They are definitely in a win now mode. 

They pretty much have to.
I'd say they have a three year window left before Stammer, Hedder, and Kucherov begin to age out.

I started to think....why not throw all that stuff at San Jose and pick up Timo Meier instead, BUT, fact is, Meier will require a Herculean extension to keep, whereas, Jeannot, being only at 880K, shouldn't require some crazy contract to maintain him as he enters the off season as an RFA.

Obviously a player like Meier offers much more over a player like Jeannot, but the Bolts, being up against the cap like they are, simply cannot fit a big contract without gutting some other part of the team.

I'm interested to see what kind of trajectory Jeannot's career goes now.
He has shown he is definitely a grinding, lunch pail type...but, has also had a season with the Preds where he showcased offensive skill.
So...which is the real Jeannot? Guess we will find out soon enough as the Bolts have enough offensive talent to play with, where if Jeannot really has it, it should come out.

I have been saying the Buffalo Sabres need a better defense in front of their goalies to be taken seriously.
Probably not the be-all, end-all answer, but they picked up Riley Stillman from the Canucks in an attempt to at least stabilize the 'goal prevention' portion of their puzzle.

stillman.thumb.jpg.26568ed2905bda1b1f3f6df8dba8187b.jpg

A standard sized, 24 yr old D-man, Stillman won't look to light up the scoreboard, but the Sabres don't really need that. They need responsible type defenders who won't cough the puck up regularly, who mind their own side of the ice, and can find ways to clear the zone in a non panicked manner.
Can Stillman do that?
In the bits I've seen him play, he at least tends to take care of the puck fairly well, does a bit of hitting to disrupt the opposing team's offense, and is under a team friendly 1.3M cap hit contract for the next two seasons while Buffalo maintains his RFA rights after that.

Hey, not saying the guy is Ryan McDonagh, but this is the type of defenseman Buffalo needs to supplement their already good offense.
It is certainly a step in the right direction.

Going to Vancouver is Josh Bloom, a 19 yr old point producer who is still in the OHL.

Pool party goes to Carolina...at least Flyer fans can breath a sigh of relief that Fletch doesn't bring in yet another dumb player.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jesse-puljujarvi-traded-to-carolina-hurricanes-from-edmonton-oilers/c-341611020

edit: I mean specifically this one. I'm sure they'll find someone else.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Pool party goes to Carolina...at least Flyer fans can breath a sigh of relief that Fletch doesn't bring in yet another dumb player.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jesse-puljujarvi-traded-to-carolina-hurricanes-from-edmonton-oilers/c-341611020

edit: I mean specifically this one. I'm sure they'll find someone else.

Wow. Honestly I have written elsewhere about how literally almost every trade waddell has made has been dreadful yet somehow the canes are in the thick of it. NYR added taresenko and getting Kane. Devil's got timo. Tampa, Boston, Toronto all improved. Waddell adds the guy who Edmonton has tried to force onto either mcjesus or Leon over and over in spite of massive proof that he just cannot play  

Carolina lost last year because they couldn't score, no reason to think they make it past the second round 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Math said:

Maybe some sort of a back-up plan because the Canes desperately need a 2C. I mean, nothing personal against Kotkaniemi but...

I volunteer Kevin Hayes for the 2C hole.

You can have him for free. Just be at the airport!

7 minutes ago, Math said:

Or Luke Schenn...?

Schenn and edmunson also on the radar certainly but ekholm is by far the more complete player at both ends of the ice. I could see ekholm and one of schenn or Edmondson to fix the glaring weakness.