Game 58: Philadelphia Flyers at Calgary Flames; 2/20/23 @ 4 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Calgary is favored (-242) and has taken eight of the last ten meetings:

https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/2-20-2023/philadelphia-flyers-vs-calgary-flames-prediction-2029/

In something of a headscratcher, NHL.com is reporting the 11 forward, 7 d-men setup:

https://www.nhl.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-calgary-flames-game-preview/c-341274340?game_pk=2022020904

I didn't think this worked so well the last games, but I am not a coach.  

I will be at work for most of the game.  A mental health game off may be good.  

Edited by Howie58

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Could he just scratch the whole team and call up the Phantoms???

Occ:

It would be an interesting test case. One suspect that putting 4-5 Phantoms in the lineup wouldn't do much.  I just read about the scratch.  I am glad. He needs a wakeup call.  

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

One suspect that putting 4-5 Phantoms in the lineup wouldn't do much.

No i meant scratch all of the Flyers call up the whole Phantoms team.

I'm just being facetious...it would never happen but i would love to see an attempt. 

I want a trade or something if it isn't nothing but something new to bitch about i am tired of this team and i want something else to watch not that football season is over with.

Farabee came out on the 4th line with Deslariers and Allison. Calgary was a step ahead all 1st. But the Flyers eventually found their legs after TK's power goal.

Ersson is standing on his head and he's the reason the Flyers still have the lead. He's been tested and came up huge a bunch of times - even made the save on a 2-0 (after another Flyers defensive meltdown).

Konecny took a hit on the numbers late in the 2nd and hasn't returned in the 3rd...TK had the puck but it was pretty cheap shot Weeger just drilled him in the back and right into the boards. No call.

Kevin Hayse is the most useless player on the Flyers. And that is saying a lot on this team.

For someone his size he is almost invisible when he is on the ice.

Holy crap I hate him as a player.

• Like 2

I didn't watch but it seems the Howie58 Formula for a Flyers win applied: 1) A stand-on-head goaltending performance; 2) some defense; and 3) we score more than 3 goals.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  

The highlights had Weegar's hit on TK.  I agree with Grateful; that looked like a penalty.  

37 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I didn't watch but it seems the Howie58 Formula for a Flyers win applied: 1) A stand-on-head goaltending performance; 2) some defense; and 3) we score more than 3 goals.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  

The highlights had Weegar's hit on TK.  I agree with Grateful; that looked like a penalty.  

Definitely a penalty. The Flames got away with a shitload of missed calls.

42 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I had Farabee down as captain material at some point in his career.  What is it in this joke of a franchise that just destroys players will to compete? (I mean other than building it around Hayes)

Like nothing I've ever seen.

Like cursed almost.

11 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I had Farabee down as captain material at some point in his career.  What is it in this joke of a franchise that just destroys players will to compete? (I mean other than building it around Hayes)

The way his game has fallen off a cliff is crazy ... I'd say shocking except he's not the only one.

Farabee is a smart, tough player - too smart to take any crap on the ice and he uses temper pretty well from what I've seen. But last year and now especially this year, other than a few incidents, he's a Lady Bing candidate at best. It's hard to imagine a more complete 180.

So his "fire" is almost out, he's not going to the net or scrapping for loose pucks. It's almost like ... he doesn't care. But how can that be? The Flyers are a proud franchise, their identity is strong, intact - the Philly Flu and all that ... yeah. right.

Edited by GratefulFlyers