Game 60: Montreal Canadiens at Philadelphia Flyers; 2/24/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The bookies are all over the map; one simulation gives us a 45% win probability, MTL with 30%, and a 25% draw.  I guess that's what happens with two sub. -500 squads and important players out with injuries:

https://hockeyoracle.com/philadelphia-flyers-montreal-canadiens-prediction/

While our offense ranks better, the teams are in a virtual dead heat statistically:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/mtl-vs-phi/2023/02/24/2022020932

It's been three years since beating them at Wells Fargo.  Maybe we're due.

Edited by Howie58

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh going to be hard to out tank this team.

Their tank game is strong.

St. Louie is a tank Jedi.

Well, that sucks. But, with CF at the helm, anything is possible.  

That gives me an idea.  Tell Fletcher to use an Ouija Board for making trade decisions.  

Edited by Howie58
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Howie58 said:

That gives me an idea.  Tell Fletcher to use an Ouija Board for making trade decisions.  

I wish he would consult a Ouija Board - ANY thing is better than him and his bosses deciding the trades. And I do mean anything. Or anyone. A monkey and a dartboard would be better.

I know I know...beating a dead decrepit horse again but god knows how awful Fletcher's trades have been. He and whoever approved Hayes, Ristoalinen, DeAngelo, Atkinson, Ellis, Gostisbehere...especially the first 2 and the Gostisbehere deal - all 3 were grounds for automatic, immediate firing. But I keep forgetting - because it's so damn hard to fathom - Flyers' management likes those deals. Wow.

So here we are approaching another TD with good ol' Fletch still at the helm...the HOF exes still in place for another round of every Flyers fan's favorite trade game, "Are You F--- Kidding Me?"

edit: Oh right the game tonight - that's what this thread is for - sorry for the rant - I appreciate the efforts @Howie58 I really do. Digging up the odds and the links - all good stuff - I only wish it mattered - you know what I mean. Anyway THANKS! for making them happen.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I wish he would consult a Ouija Board - ANY thing is better than him and his bosses deciding the trades. And I do mean anything. Or anyone. A monkey and a dartboard would be better.

I know I know...beating a dead decrepit horse again but god knows how awful Fletcher's trades have been. He and whoever approved Hayes, Ristoalinen, DeAngelo, Atkinson, Ellis, Gostisbehere...especially the first 2 and the Gostisbehere deal - all 3 were grounds for automatic, immediate firing. But I keep forgetting - because it's so damn hard to fathom - Flyers' management likes those deals. Wow.

So here we are approaching another TD with good ol' Fletch still at the helm...the HOF exes still in place for another round of every Flyers fan's favorite trade game, "Are You F--- Kidding Me?"

edit: Oh right the game tonight - that's what this thread is for - sorry for the rant - I appreciate the efforts @Howie58 I really do. Digging up the odds and the links - all good stuff - I only wish it mattered - you know what I mean. Anyway THANKS! for making them happen.

Dear Grateful,

As I've said before, this site is an extended family, and setting up the game threads is an interesting thing for a dude who doesn't do social media.

Games against Montreal leave me a bit depressed these days.  The Old Farts will remember that the East Conference final against Montreal in 1972-73 was a defining moment for this franchise.  Yes, we lost (think it was five or six games), but the Flyers were no longer the expansion pansies and could compete with best-of-breed.  Sure enough, we won the Cup next year.

https://champsorchumps.us/team/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/1973#:~:text=Yes%2C the Philadelphia Flyers made the Playoffs in,against the Montreal Canadiens in the Conference Finals.

Fast forward nearly four decades and think about the Bubble.  We barely beat MTL--their young players were giving our D fits.  It took six games to eliminate a sub .500 team that wouldn't have made it to the playoffs under normal circumstances.  We haven't beaten them at WF since 2019.  For me, tonight's game is a reminder of how far we've come as franchise and and how far we've deteriorated since the 2004-05 strike, with the 2010 Cup gig being a fluke (from my vantage).  If I were to put money on it, MTL will be challenging for a Cup long before us.  You can probably add Seattle to that roster.  About the only hope I see in the Metro is that maybe, just maybe, PIT, WSH, and the Islanders are in a downward trajectory. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'm here for Noah Cates.
Just picked him up in fantasy hockey after seeing him dazzle just a bit on that last road trip.

Is he for real?
Or just a flash in the pan?

He works hard. He could be another Coots. Torts loves him.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'm here for Noah Cates.
Just picked him up in fantasy hockey after seeing him dazzle just a bit on that last road trip.

Is he for real?

Cates is looking like the best late round forward the Flyers have drafted in ages.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Have they stormed the Wells Fargo Bastille yet?:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I wish they would aim for the press box and relieve Fetcher of duty. Other than Tippett, no effort. I am barely staying awake after a long week. 

Just heard more boos!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I wish they would aim for the press box and relieve Fetcher of duty. Other than Tippett, no effort. I am barely staying awake after a long week. 

Just heard more boos!

Can they please fire His Fletchulence, before the end of the game? Please?!

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

They like to call that list, "Réserves de l’an prochain"....or, "Next year's reserve list" :ph34r: 

Their communication cell comes from outer space. To explain Dach's absence, they first said that he got an illness coming from an injury, but then it was officially stated that "it's not an injury, it's also not an illness, but it is not contageous"... :hithead:

It appears that the coaches' Lombardi-esque motivation techniques are lost on the current roster. Back to the drawing board for the fonz. I actually watched the first 2 periods of the game tonight, waiting for the curling to start. Yep, curling. Way more exciting than Flyer hockey. It was infuriatingly disgusting watching a once proud hockey team play with zero passion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'm here for Noah Cates.

Is he for real?

I'll say this there have been many question who should get the C in the future...

...especially if Coots doesn't even make it back.

My choice has always been i Noah dude!!!

I want that lunch pail Captain. 

I Noah a guy!

:flyer: