Chuck, “We’re selling” proceeds to make zero trades.

Samifan

40 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

can you just accept the fact that this team is rebuilding or did you expect this trade deadline to give us game changers for next year?

Oh my freaking gawd…. Are you that freaking dense. I’ve been open for a complete rebuild and tear down for months.   YOU are the one who lobbied for making trades because… according to your words… a .500 level team who  needed to trade for superstars to get this team over the hump. 

You completely flip flopped on your POV. Don’t deny it… I can pull your posts if you liked.

YOUR words stated… It is not the FO or management fault. I can pull that post also….

My post was pure sarcasm to your ridiculous statements…. 

What I wanted was for this FO to make moves in ridding this team of dead weight and clearing cap space all the while gaining and stockpiling draft picks…This idiotic FO did neither…..

Flip flopping positions proves you are talking out both sides of your mouth and that you really don’t have any credibility to your posts….

Edited by pilldoc
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Flip flopping positions proves you are talking out both sides of your mouth and that you really don’t have any credibility to your posts….

It would be okay if at least one side made the slightest bit of sense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I will not earn many friends by saying this, but the blame for JVR lies with Hextall. He gave him too much for too long. Fault Fletcher for Risto and other. But I think Mr. Market was telling the Flyers that JVR is a spent force. JVR is an over-the-hill one trick pony. I wonder if he is going to get a  one-year million dollar contract next year? Meanwhile, most GMs will let a younger or cheaper player get experience. At least Brown wins faceoffs and Mac can fight. This JVR thing is overdone by bloggers and so-called experts who earn their living by BSing us. Fletcher may be plodding and incompetent, but I think he is sincere. There were no takers after 3 weeks of trying. JVR is an impaired asset.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

This organization is ****ed.

At least for the foreseeable future, yes. And it'll take many years to undo all the damage done, and even that is not given unless they hire someone with a clue.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'll never buy that was actually Hextall.

And I think he got fired, in part, for loudly saying, "I told you so!"

You may be right ....you think the FO strong armed Hexy into signing JVR?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

But I think Mr. Market was telling the Flyers that JVR is a spent force.

I could cut the guy some slack - JVR even at 1/2 prorated salary wouldn’t be easy to move - but Fletcher doesn’t deserve any slack. Imagine if Holland or Poile or Yzerman (etc.) had been stuck with JVR. One of their first orders of business taking over the team would’ve been trading him ASAP.

There was a way. There’s always a way. He tried and failed last summer when Gaudreau was talking about wanting to play for the Flyers. He tried and failed again this week. He just doesn’t have the brains or the imagination to run an NHL team. He can’t possibly continue in his job after this. The laughingstock factor is now at critical mass.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

We still haven't hit bottom.  This excuse for a team is what we get when the franchise is trying to win.  It's going to keep getting worse until they actually admit they are terrible and start to plan for 4 or 5 years ahead instead of 4 or 5 months ahead.

• Good Post 1

14 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I could cut the guy some slack - JVR even at 1/2 prorated salary wouldn’t be easy to move - but Fletcher doesn’t deserve any slack. Imagine if Holland or Poile or Yzerman (etc.) had been stuck with JVR. One of their first orders of business taking over the team would’ve been trading him ASAP.

There was a way. There’s always a way. He tried and failed last summer when Gaudreau was talking about wanting to play for the Flyers. He tried and failed again this week. He just doesn’t have the brains or the imagination to run an NHL team. He can’t possibly continue in his job after this. The laughingstock factor is now at critical mass.

Grateful:

I will not shed any tears when he departs.

Could he have been traded earlier? Good point. Maybe

But I get angry reading about JVR being a mid-six forward or speaking about his career performance. He hasnt prodiced that much in the present. Fletcher has his share of gaffes. He goes, fine. But a lot of what I read seems to be unreflective anger. That masks troubles that have plagued the team for decades. 

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

You may be right ....you think the FO strong armed Hexy into signing JVR?

yes. That's what I think.

No proof, of course. But the signing was so far out of character it didn't make any sense to me at the time.  In general, but specifically as it related to Hextall's MO to date.

It just seemed like he was very methodical and longue duree and was suddenly swinging for the fences with a move that had Holmgren written all over it.

I could be adding 2+2=7, but it's just very plausible to me. It was at the time and still is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tucson83 said:

can you just accept the fact that this team is rebuilding or did you expect this trade deadline to give us game changers for next year?

Get in the bin

dumpster-trash-can.gif

Edited by ruxpin

There's only 457 of us Flyer fans left on the planet thanks to what this joke of a front office has put us through....Tucson83 clearly voted 11 times here.

SHOULD THE FLYERS FIRE CHUCK FLETCHER?
13 HOURS AGO      467 ANSWERS
YES 456 97.6 %
NO 11 2.4 %
  LIST OF POLLS

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

There's only 457 of us Flyer fans left on the planet thanks to what this joke of a front office has put us through....Tucson83 clearly voted 11 times here.

SHOULD THE FLYERS FIRE CHUCK FLETCHER?
13 HOURS AGO      467 ANSWERS
YES 456 97.6 %
NO 11 2.4 %
  LIST OF POLLS

I was thinking the same thing.

WTF were those 11 people?

After the dust settled from yesterday, and after watching the snow the goalie podcast this morning, I realize that YESTERDAY wasn't that big of a deal. We all overreacted because of what we were told recently. We were told they are "sellers" for the first time in a long time. They finally admitted that they have to go in a different direction and not patch the team like they've done forever. Then we thought we have a guy that has put up good numbers over his career, he's on an expiring contract, teams are handing out draft picks in trades, so it's basically just a foregone conclusion that JVR will be dealt.

As the deadline got closer, I was hearing they could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. That won't make this team better in the future whatsoever, but I think people were just excited that the flyers are finally sellers, and they'll finally move on from JVR. But why are we excited to move on from JVR? It's the same reason JVR couldn't be moved at the deadline.

CF is a horrible GM but not being able to unload JVR yesterday wasn't even close to his worst move/non move. I believe he did what he could yesterday but there were no takers. JVR doesn't fit anywhere at the moment. He definitely doesn't fit on Detroit (I have to think Yzerman was trying to flip him). I remember discussing JVR with my brother a year or two ago. I couldn't stand JVR, but my brother said "hey, he'll get you 25 goals". And this is what separates good GMs from bad ones. A bad GM will say "that guy will get me 25 goals so I will trade for him or give him a big contract, or not trade him". A good GM will say "He'll give me 25 goals, but since I know what I'm looking at with my own two eyes, I know he's not helping my team, so I'm not going to trade for him, I'm not going to give him a big contract, I'm not even going to put him on my playoff roster, and if I do have the chance to trade him during his 25 goal season, I will make it happen"

CF did what he could yesterday or for the past weeks or months to unload JVR. Nobody wants that garbage. Chuck basically told us that yesterday without saying the words. He missed the opportunity to get that done a year or two ago. I'm starting to wonder what other move should have/could have been made yesterday to make this team better. He couldn't move Hayes or Provorov or anyone else? Hayes was an all-star and he's having a career year. CF couldn't sweeten the deal with retaining salary and taking on another contract (one that would expire in a year or so hopefully)? Provorov could still help a team...they couldn't do anything there?

I think everyone was so focused on unloading JVR for nothing that we all forgot that other deals could have been made but weren't. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, icehole said:

CF is a horrible GM but not being able to unload JVR yesterday wasn't even close to his worst move/non move. I believe he did what he could yesterday but there were no takers.

Chuck even admitted he made only 17 calls.

That right there is evidence he didn't try.

Last I checked there are 32 teams (right?) so shouldn't he at least made 32 phone calls?

He does know he can call the other teams to and make an offer?

He does know the phone works two ways don't he? I can't say I confidently know he knows that!

He is just the worst GM in maybe the history of the NHL not just the Flyer's history!!!! If not then who is the worst?

He should have been fired as soon as the deadline was over.

I also think what happened yesterday could be a good thing. Let's look at 2 scenarios.

1. Fans are all anticipating JVR gets dealt. Chuck unloads him at the deadline for a 4th rounder. Fans ease up. The team gets loose and they win a few games down the stretch. The flyers end up drafting at somewhere around 10th because of the meaningless games they won, and they have a 4th round pick that's not going to do anything to improve the team. The clueless team at Comcast says "chuck got it done and the fans seemed to have calmed down a little". They give chuck another year as GM.

2. Yesterday happens. Fans are irate. JVR is still on the team. He makes the team worse as it is, but now he's disgruntled because chuck says nobody want him. He doesn't want to push himself too hard, Hayesy gets even more lazy, and the entire team is already packing it in. They lose almost all their remaining games and move up in the draft lottery. Nobody is attending games, and the few that do attend are chanting "fire chuck...fire chuck." Comcast is tired of being embarrassed so they finally fire him. The flyers get a top 3 lottery pick and they have a new GM to make the pick and move some bad contracts in the off-season.

I can hope right?

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is just the worst GM in maybe the history of the NHL not just the Flyer's history!!!! If not then who is the worst?

I can't answer that. Surely there has to be someone worse, but for a big hockey market like Philadelphia, he's most likely the worst.

That should be enough to move on from him, but who knows if his bosses think that.

For me, the abject failure of the deadline is a culmination of a GM that has done nothing to improve this team now or in the future.  He has made zero moves that impact this team in a positive way.  None.  And this follows a GM who similarly failed to do anything to improve this team when it had a smidgen of talent still left on it.  

I cannot comprehend the failure to move JVR for anything, but it’s more than that.  Failing to trade JVR is symbolic of the complete failure of this GM and the organization in general since Snider died.  How were Braun and Seeler not moved?  Were trades for Hayes, Provorov or anyone else explored?  This deadline should have been about acquiring as many picks as possible.  Instead, we trade for a “reclamation” project.  News for you, Chuck: there is nothing about Brendan Lemieux to reclaim.  They guy is a piece of **** who sucks.  What a ****** joke.  

The guy is low energy and lacks creativity.  Get him out of here please.  Just a nightmare of an organization at the moment.  Total joke.  

Edited by vis
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, icehole said:

After the dust settled from yesterday, and after watching the snow the goalie podcast this morning, I realize that YESTERDAY wasn't that big of a deal. We all overreacted because of what we were told recently. We were told they are "sellers" for the first time in a long time. They finally admitted that they have to go in a different direction and not patch the team like they've done forever. Then we thought we have a guy that has put up good numbers over his career, he's on an expiring contract, teams are handing out draft picks in trades, so it's basically just a foregone conclusion that JVR will be dealt.

As the deadline got closer, I was hearing they could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. That won't make this team better in the future whatsoever, but I think people were just excited that the flyers are finally sellers, and they'll finally move on from JVR. But why are we excited to move on from JVR? It's the same reason JVR couldn't be moved at the deadline.

CF is a horrible GM but not being able to unload JVR yesterday wasn't even close to his worst move/non move. I believe he did what he could yesterday but there were no takers. JVR doesn't fit anywhere at the moment. He definitely doesn't fit on Detroit (I have to think Yzerman was trying to flip him). I remember discussing JVR with my brother a year or two ago. I couldn't stand JVR, but my brother said "hey, he'll get you 25 goals". And this is what separates good GMs from bad ones. A bad GM will say "that guy will get me 25 goals so I will trade for him or give him a big contract, or not trade him". A good GM will say "He'll give me 25 goals, but since I know what I'm looking at with my own two eyes, I know he's not helping my team, so I'm not going to trade for him, I'm not going to give him a big contract, I'm not even going to put him on my playoff roster, and if I do have the chance to trade him during his 25 goal season, I will make it happen"

CF did what he could yesterday or for the past weeks or months to unload JVR. Nobody wants that garbage. Chuck basically told us that yesterday without saying the words. He missed the opportunity to get that done a year or two ago. I'm starting to wonder what other move should have/could have been made yesterday to make this team better. He couldn't move Hayes or Provorov or anyone else? Hayes was an all-star and he's having a career year. CF couldn't sweeten the deal with retaining salary and taking on another contract (one that would expire in a year or so hopefully)? Provorov could still help a team...they couldn't do anything there?

I think everyone was so focused on unloading JVR for nothing that we all forgot that other deals could have been made but weren't. 

Fans aren't mad at Fletcher just for yesterday. They're mad at him for his complete incompetence during his entire tenure as a Flyer GM (and Minnesota GM before). Every move he makes helps the other team more than it does the Flyers. This was just the icing on the cake.

While draft picks were flying everywhere, 1st rounders were going for a guy with 4 goals and 10 assists, Chuck, FINALLY NOT GOING FOR IT, but as a seller brought in the grand total of a 5th and a 6th and future considerations. He refused to deal Nick Seeler...NICK SEELER!!!...because "he's too important to the team" NICK SEELER! If he was from Saskatchewan he would have been long gone. It's this kind of stupity that has us where we are. 1 pick in the first 2 rounds of one of the deepest drafts ever. Brilliant. 

edit: Apparently vis was saying the same thing I was seconds before . Nice to see you around vis. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 3