Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

ANALYSIS

In Midst of 22-Game Goalless Drought, Kevin Hayes’ Future in Philadelphia Becomes Bleaker by the Game

https://www.flyersnation.com/in-midst-of-22-game-goalless-drought-kevin-hayes-future-in-philadelphia-becomes-bleaker-by-the-game/

The Colorado Avalanche, Boston Bruins, and Carolina Hurricanes were all reportedly interested in Hayes’ services at one point in time this season. Friedman alluded to the Columbus Blue Jackets being a good destination because of his friendships and relationships with Johnny Gaudreau and Rick Nash – part of their player development. Salary will have to be retained and it will most likely be in the neighbourhood of 25-30% – $1.78 million to $2.142 million. The return won’t be substantial either, but the open spot on the roster is what is most important.

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The return won’t be substantial either, but the open spot on the roster is what is most important.

🤣 gotta hate it when NOBODY is a better option

• Haha 1

We'll know if the Flyers are changing their ways by how they deal with Morgan Frost (RFA) in the offseason.  They should play hardball with this guy and make him prove it for another season.  At most you offer a two or three year bridge deal for around $3M AAV.

What they should not do is sign this guy to a long term deal or sign him to a AAV as if he has already taken the next step in his development (i.e. don't pay him for what they need him to be, pay him for what he is).

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

I’m all for unloading dead weight as long as it doesn’t cost any assets or long term cap space.  But I wouldn’t include even a 7th to unload Hayes and I hate him - at this point, all he’s doing is improving their draft position every year and they are not going anywhere for a couple years so he doesn’t really matter to me.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

@SCFlyguy

I get your point. I still think the unloading of dead weight is more indicative though. And if the part ways with a talent (Provorov) to set up options

We have Provorov,Soyheim and York all lefthanded dmen and none of them are third pair guys and  we also have lefthanded Andre and Zamula on the way. So there is a log jam on the left side and someone has to go. It probably will be Provorov since he will get the best return, has the highest contract and is closest to UFA of the other dmen. I think management likes Soyheim better but his contract is ridiculous. 

Yeah we tried Zamula and York on the right,it remains to be seen if they can play at the same level on either side.

Getting rid of Hayes is a must and I will be ecstatic if the Flyers only have to retain 25%. Ecstatic. Accomplish that much and it’ll be the best off-season the Flyers have had in years.

The other slug on the back end …. who cost the Flyers so much to sign … there’s probably some “sunk-in cost” concern about moving him. Still, better to bite the bullet and get rid of him too. Retain 25% of his salary and he starts looking a lot more reasonable.

• Good Post 2

30 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The other slug on the back end …. who cost the Flyers so much to sign … there’s probably some “sunk-in cost” concern about moving him. Still, better to bite the bullet and get rid of him too. Retain 25% of his salary and he starts looking a lot more reasonable.

Ok, which of the two Fletcher acquisitions are we talking about here? 

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I’m all for unloading dead weight as long as it doesn’t cost any assets or long term cap space.  But I wouldn’t include even a 7th to unload Hayes and I hate him - at this point, all he’s doing is improving their draft position every year and they are not going anywhere for a couple years so he doesn’t really matter to me.

Things is he takes up a roster spot. Yeah, they aren't going anywhere, so he isn't going to do more damage. I see the POV to not give up anything with him. But I want that spot filled by any other player....except Scott Laughton of course

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Things is he takes up a roster spot. Yeah, they aren't going anywhere, so he isn't going to do more damage. I see the POV to not give up anything with him. But I want that spot filled by any other player....except Scott Laughton of course

Laughton has value. You can get a pick back for him without taking on salary. 

Plus he's gonna be captain next year!  :dancing:

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1
  • Annoyed 1

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

It probably will be Provorov since he will get the best return, has the highest contract and is closest to UFA of the other dmen.

I would throw Ivan in with a package to send to the Kings for Brandt Clarke he is the stud right hand D man they need to build around. I'd almost give them whatever they want for him.

I know others in here wouldn't like this but i would even throw in the 7th over all this year for him.

But i prefer a package of Ivan, Samu Tuumaala or if they prefer Ersson or a package of TK to go get this kid we can start there but go get the kid that they could help build around. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Laughton has value. You can get a pick back for him without taking on salary. 

Plus he's gonna be captain next year!  :dancing:

RUDE!

im putting your name in my book

My Irish Heart Can Be Found in THE QUIET MAN (1952) – Outspoken & Freckled

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck moving up in this draft...

Montreal might be interested in acquiring Carter Hart but if the draft order stay roughly the same as the way teams finished, the Habs pick 6th, the Flyers 7th. Trade the franchise goalie to move up 1 spot?

Chi, Anaheim, SJ, CBJ, Ariz - it's hard to see them giving up Bedard or Fantilli for anything the Flyers have on their roster.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Good luck moving up in this draft...

Montreal might be interested in acquiring Carter Hart but if the draft order stay roughly the same as the way teams finished, the Habs pick 6th, the Flyers 7th. Trade the franchise goalie to move up 1 spot?

Chi, Anaheim, SJ, CBJ, Ariz - it's hard to see them giving up Bedard or Fantilli for anything the Flyers have on their roster.

i think moving up in the draft is blowing smoke he knows it's very difficult to move up, i think briere wants to acquire young elite talent if it's available.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

i think moving up in the draft is blowing smoke he knows it's very difficult to move up, i think briere wants to acquire young elite talent if it's available.

Agree ....moving up in this deep of a draft will require giving up way more assets then what they currently have.

So rumor has it Ottawa might be looking to deal DeBrincat.

https://www.tsn.ca/garrioch-alex-debrincat-has-no-inclination-of-signing-with-senators-could-be-moved-at-draft-1.1945897

I wonder if we could move out one of Claude's old pals for him? Did Claude like Coots? Maybe Hayes? Danny boy should explore this one. Less about getting DeBrincat and more about getting rid of a long contract. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

So rumor has it Ottawa might be looking to deal DeBrincat.

https://www.tsn.ca/garrioch-alex-debrincat-has-no-inclination-of-signing-with-senators-could-be-moved-at-draft-1.1945897

I wonder if we could move out one of Claude's old pals for him? Did Claude like Coots? Maybe Hayes? Danny boy should explore this one. Less about getting DeBrincat and more about getting rid of a long contract. 

Wasn't that guy one of the big trades a few seasons ago? I think Chicago jettisoned him so they could rebuild. Not sure it sounds logical to trade for him as a rebuild piece. Why would he want that? He'd prolly be a pouch bytch and cost us in the long run

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Wasn't that guy one of the big trades a few seasons ago? I think Chicago jettisoned him so they could rebuild. Not sure it sounds logical to trade for him as a rebuild piece. Why would he want that? He'd prolly be a pouch bytch and cost us in the long run

Well if you want to get rid of somebody you need to find creative ways to do that. Why not trade a guy with multiple years left on his deal for a guy with a soon to expire contract? It would be all about money, and not about keeping DeBrincat long term . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CoachX said:

No he was traded last summer.

image.thumb.png.ea578d641a099a4abbe941b7c19a25bd.png

He is is only 25 and is an RFA this summer.

image.png.061ad4a6eccb611a07e063ddd693649f.png

He is a sniper who many of us wanted the Flyers to draft back when he was draft eligible.  The knock on him at the time was he is on the smaller size. 

image.png.6dad60a0e3d5c6a2509fdb07da2e50e2.png

Now granted much of his success in Chicago was because he skated alongside either Kane or Toews.  However, for the right price, I would not mind him being on the Flyers.

His 66 points would have led the Flyers.  His 27 goals would have tied with Tippett for 2nd (TK had 31) and his 39 assists would have led the team.

Slide him next to Frost and see what happens .....

I would offer 4 x 6 million ........

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1