Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

to get Matthews the Leafs will understandably want a mega-return and your list will look a lot different if a trade like that happens. For any superstar. How about we forgo the Big Trade for once and just rebuild “the right way?” Of course  there’s more than one right way but the wrong way is to trade for Matthews. 

Unless, of course the Leafs fire Dubas after yet another 1st round exit, hire Fletcher and he proceeds to trade Matthews and a 2nd to the Flyers for Braun, Seeler and anyone Philly has drafted from Minnesota in the last 30 years. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Unless, of course the Leafs fire Dubas after yet another 1st round exit, hire Fletcher and he proceeds to trade Matthews and a 2nd to the Flyers for Braun, Seeler and anyone Philly has drafted from Minnesota in the last 30 years. 

18 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Unless, of course the Leafs fire Dubas after yet another 1st round exit, hire Fletcher

I am truly hoping Chuckie finds another NHL GM gig. That fkr owes the Flyers (and Flyers’ fans) in a big way and the beauty of it is he won’t even know he’s getting robbed blind. Come on Karma do your thing!

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 4:52 PM, flyercanuck said:

Phantom's have found their new head coach...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Uggh... 2

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Phantom's have found their new head coach...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

How long until he's in the Flyers' front office?  To soon for President of Hockey Operations?

I'm not sure how secure Bowness is in his job, but if he is, sounds like Winnipeg might be getting ready for a rebuild/tear down as well.

Anyone on that roster we'd want? You think they swap for Hayes?

Of course if Briere decides he's had enough of Torts he could deal for DuBois :)

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I'm not sure how secure Bowness is in his job, but if he is, sounds like Winnipeg might be getting ready for a rebuild/tear down as well.

Anyone on that roster we'd want? You think they swap for Hayes?

Of course if Briere decides he's had enough of Torts he could deal for DuBois :)

Crazy that their old backup goalie bounced their asses out the playoffs.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

whoa, that's a dude who's completely out of foxes.

Honestly the criticism of Winnipeg for years has been that they have overall talent, but not enough drive and that their top talent isn't as good as other top talent.

They're a good team. And consistently "good." They're just not great and there are other teams who are better. And consistently "better."

There's a chemistry that turns good teams into great teams and they simply haven't found the catalyst to make it happen.

Oddly, it wasn't Kevin Hayes. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

first DB has to have interim removed. Second, Torts isnt going anywhere

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

first DB has to have interim removed. Second, Torts isnt going anywhere

you do realize that was a joke I hope. 

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Honestly the criticism of Winnipeg for years has been that they have overall talent, but not enough drive and that their top talent isn't as good as other top talent.

They're a good team. And consistently "good." They're just not great and there are other teams who are better. And consistently "better."

There's a chemistry that turns good teams into great teams and they simply haven't found the catalyst to make it happen.

Oddly, it wasn't Kevin Hayes. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

idk, they do remind me of the Flyers from past years a fair bit. Should have been better on paper but just never were. They really looked like a team that quit and gave up at the end of that series.  They need a new core and new direction. 

5 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

they do remind me of the Flyers from past years a fair bit. Should have been better on paper but just never were.

They're quite a bit better than those Flyers teams - they have a Conference Final and eight playoff rounds in the past six years -  but they're not as good as the top teams in the league.

They've been at or near the top of the middle bubble, or have been, and are likely now going to take a dip.

9 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

They really looked like a team that quit and gave up at the end of that series.  They need a new core and new direction. 

They did, and they do.

Because they have the feeling that the current group there simply isn't going to get it done and many of their best players could go on to win somewhere else. Or else the franchise needs to really move the needle significantly.

I think this is what Bowness means about "push back." Everyone can't just let the play come to them, some guys have to make the play happen. When the game asked players to step up and make it happen, apparently no one did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FLYERS67 said:

Danny should talk to Howie Roseman, that guy is a genius general manager. 2023 draft A+ rating from many sources.

Maybe he could take a GM class?

Yes he knows how you build a team. Through the draft. And he knows how to collect assets. And move around when needed.

2024 draft picks.

Free agency is for plugging a hole quickly but usually at high cost. It must be used with care.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes he knows how you build a team. Through the draft. And he knows how to collect assets. And move around when needed.

2024 draft picks.

Free agency is for plugging a hole quickly but usually at high cost. It must be used with care.

Hextall was far from perfect...but he had this part down pat. I hope Briere takes a page out of this book. It IS the way to build a champion. You just can't build one through free agency anymore, not with a cap. It's hard to believe the Flyers front office could never figure this out when it's plain as day.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hextall was far from perfect...but he had this part down pat.

I agree it seems he knew how to acquire picks and prospects/kids but struggled developing them and knowing when to push some of these young men out the nest or make that jump...

A Marine Jumping From A Plane : Photoshopbattles GIF | Gfycat

Maybe if they get Danny that guy (especially if he isn't) so that we know the time we waste finding the kids someone is ready to help them become young professional hockey players in the NHL.

And by keep Lappy in charge of LV well i am concerned especially getting bounce in the first round this year time needs to be put to better use in the AHL.

It feels like more wheels spinning than actually finding traction.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#bourbonup

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You just can't build one through free agency anymore, not with a cap.

I would say you can't do it with UFAs but if they ever open season on RFAs look out.

And I don't mean Homer chasing Shea Weber or the Canes poking the Habs about Aho.

I mean honest to God open season on RFAs.

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's hard to believe the Flyers front office could never figure this out when it's plain as day.

And they were among the ones absolutely insisting that we had to lose a season and a half of hockey to get the cap in the first place.

It's midbogling.

I think the defining characteristic of the group can be summed up with "arrogant."

And when you look at the smug on Clarke's mug, you know where it comes from.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, radoran said:

And when you look at the smug on Clarke's mug, you know where it comes from.

He was the same guy who thought we don't need a stud goalie you can just find one on waivers or trade for one like they did when he won the Cups.

• Like 1

Flyers reportedly looking to move the contract of Ryan Ellis

Ryan Ellis

Having not played an NHL game in close to 18 months, there is still a strong belief that Ryan Ellis will never play pro hockey again. He was acquired by the Flyers in the summer of 2021 and played just four games with the team before ultimately being sidelined with a complex injury to his psoas muscle.

Ellis, 32, has been on LTIR since the injury and is expected to stay there, but I’ve heard that the Flyers are actively looking at ways to move his contract and the remaining four years left on it. According to CapFriendly, Ellis is owed $24 million in real dollars over the next four seasons.

While this is a lot of money, a source close to the situation confirmed to me that the contract is insured, which will make it easier to move.

The Flyers don’t have to move Ellis, as they’re not in a competing window right now, so they will not pay assets to dump the contract. But I’ve heard that they’re more than open to bringing back a player who can help them in the short-term but is also making too much money. The Evgeni Dadonov and Shea Weber trade last summer is a good template as to what the Flyers are open to doing, by taking on a short-term, expensive deal that will allow the team they’re trading with to liberate short-term cap space by stashing Ellis on LTIR.

The Flyers are rebuilding and don’t need the immediate cap room, so they’re comfortable keeping Ellis if push comes to shove. But they’re also very interested in bringing back a less than attractive deal on a shorter term if another team will take back Ellis.

https://broadstreetbuzz.com/2023/04/28/flyers-reportedly-looking-move-contract-ryan-ellis/amp/

Elsewhere.

I was told earlier in the week that should the team move on Provorov, they will be using the Mattias Ekholm and Jakob Chychrun deals as a template for what they want in return. Due to Provorov’s 26 month run of less than stellar play, they may not get exactly what those other two defencemen went for, but the Flyers will not entertain a lowball offer. They are comfortable hanging onto Provorov, as he was deployed as the team’s No.1 blueliner all season; he’s also believed to be in the good graces of Head Coach John Tortorella. This isn’t a situation where they feel as though they “have” to move him.

I get the sense the Flyers will be looking to get an additional pick in the first-round of the June NHL Draft, and Provorov may be the best chance they can obtain that aside from Carter Hart and Travis Konecny.

Provorov, 26, has two years left on his contract with an AAV of $6.75 million

In the case of 27-year-old Travis Sanheim, he is viewed in the same light as Provorov, I’ve been told, as the two are very close in age. The Flyers will entertain offers for the 2014 first-round selection but also do not want to gut the team’s back end of veterans.

Due to Sanheim’s contract extension (eight years, $50 million) set to kick in, I doubt they’ll be able to find an Ekholm-type deal to bring back draft capital. A Sanhem deal would likely see a player for player swap that would see a similar type of contract brought back the other way.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#pleasefixthiscrapteam
  • Good Post 1