Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

20 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Maybe the issue was never really talent, but how that talent was used, how motivated they were, and the culture/attitude of said talent

I NEVER liked the thought of the Flyers casting off Bob over the great Russian bear.  Still irritating to think about that ......

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I NEVER liked the thought of the Flyers casting off Bob over the great Russian bear.  Still irritating to think about that ......

Is this how we're remembering it?

I remember it as Lavy playing Bob too much so his elc was burnt.

Bob wasn't thought to be ready to a full time starter and needed to play to get there.

He wouldn't get through waivers, cosmonaut was a high workload goalie so Bob wouldn't develop playing once every two weeks .

That team was in a win now mode and I don't think the Bobby Bunch * was keen to see if Bob could handle the job while doing the job.

At least that's how I remember it.

Mismanagement.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

48 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Is this how we're remembering it?

I remember it as Lavy playing Bob too much so his elc was burnt.

Bob wasn't thought to be ready to a full time starter and needed to play to get there.

He wouldn't get through waivers, cosmonaut was a high workload goalie so Bob wouldn't develop playing once every two weeks .

That team was in a win now mode and I don't think the Bobby Bunch * was keen to see if Bob could handle the job while doing the job.

At least that's how I remember it.

Mismanagement.

Honestly  .....that was over 12+ years ago.  Hard to remember everything that we discussed on here.  (EDIT: He was signed June 2011 back before this place was up and running in Nov. 2011.  Any discussion regarding the signing of Bryz and his contract was at the old Philly.com (Silly.com) which has long disappeared.)

Here are Bob's stats the 2 years he was here:

image.png.e11ad06b36eb7b6fc8b2a3d2cfd7a0b9.png

Then Bryz's stats for his 2 years ...

image.png.a054b2426f7f476cd7fbf5867432e973.png

image.png.86f23d3112188d1a61f66540f086a442.png

The contract was the killer .....

Back on June 23, 2011, the Flyers inked Bryzgalov to a nine-year, $51 million contract. Two years later, the Flyers bought out his contract. As a result, per CapFriendly.com, the Flyers owe the 41-year-old Bryzgalov $1,642,857 every year through the 2026-27 season, buyout payments that are spanning 14 years.

Agree ... mismanagement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I still go back to the Carter Richards era...with the right management and less coddling, we have a team to seriously compete for 10 years

Well you can blame all that on Holmgren for not going out and finding a better goaltender after the lucky Cup run.

He chose to run it back with Boucher, Leighton and Bob.

Tim Thomas showed them how important goaltending is.

I refer to that year as the Zherdev season - yuck.

It was after that sweep to the Bruins that Snider had seen enough and wanted his own goalie and sent Richie and Crater packing.

And ol Bryz comes to town and the rest well i have been trying to forget ever since so it is foggy...

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I still go back to the Carter Richards era...with the right management and less coddling, we have a team to seriously compete for 10 years

This is where Paul Holmgren and I part ways.

They had built a team, had locked up their young core, were ready to add the Prongers to make it happen and they blew it up.

Remember "winning the trades"?

The Flyers won the trades. The Kings won Cups.

The Flyers have one playoff round win since.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It was after that sweep to the Bruins that Snider had seen enough and wanted his own goalie and sent Richie and Crater packing.

And ol Bryz comes to town and the rest well i have been trying to forget ever since so it is foggy...

It was that contract that left most of us gagging .......   the trades rocked this organization.  I remember on the old silly.com site it was like a nuclear bomb went off ....everyone trying to scramble for info and 1 poster ( I can't remember name had inside info that was posted on another site that was deleted and I was trying to print screen shots for everyone)

What an absolute cluster ......

Getting slightly off topic here but I get it ...this organization has just had one screw up after another .....

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

This is where Paul Holmgren and I part ways.

They had built a team, had locked up their young core, were ready to add the Prongers to make it happen and they blew it up.

Remember "winning the trades"?

The Flyers won the trades. The Kings won Cups.

The Flyers have one playoff round win since.

No one foresaw what was going to happen to Pronger ....

but in essence this organization has never been the same since ......

8 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

What an absolute cluster ......

Well ol Danny lived it and i have to think he remembers well the missteps of Holmgren and well he pretty much ruined Danny's window to win a Cup then...

...so i hope he takes that to heart when making decisions here.

I would love love for him to be really aggressive and flip Sanheim to Columbus for the #3 pick in the draft and take Carlsson and then use the 7th on another forward (whomever falls).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would love love for him to be really aggressive and flip Sanheim to Columbus for the #3 pick in the draft

Not to be a downer ... I like your train of thought ....BUT....if you are Columbus are you really trading Sanheim for the #3 pick?  As it stands now #3 pick >>>>>> Sanheim.

If the shoe was on the other foot .....  we would crucify Briere if we had the #3 pick and traded it for Sanheim.  

Columbus is not trading that pick.   Only way Columbus is trading that pick is if it is our #7 overall + Sanheim + top prospect + a starter and even then they still may not trade it.

Appreciate the idea of trying to move up ...but it will cost way more than just Sanheim.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Not to be a downer ... I like your train of thought ....BUT....if you are Columbus are you really trading Sanheim for the #3 pick?  As it stands now #3 pick >>>>>> Sanheim.

Well depends on what Jarmo thinks they went out and signed Johnny Hockey and their window is kind of now just set back to a lot of injuries and depends on if he wants a partner for when Werenski gets back from his injury.

Travis might be a big up grade next to Zach on the top pair over Gavin Bayeruther (i know WTF is that?).

Their blueline needs some help and Sanheim would be viewed as a reclamation project.

Andf as i said it all depends on how pressured they are to make the playoffs and Carlsson is a very good pick but still needs seasoning...and would serve better maybe on a rebuild club than a team pushing for the playoffs.

And it doesn't have to be just a one for one deal you can add more to the deal and especially since it has been rumored maybe Hayes to Columbus to play with his BU alum guy who knows Danny wants to be aggressive and younger he said well this is a way to start.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

No one foresaw what was going to happen to Pronger ....

You don't "build" around a 34 year old defenseman.

You "add" a 34 year old defenseman to cement your young core.

Apparently the vaunted "Flyers culture" was so tainted and dysfunctional it couldn't handle Carter and Richards despite committing the franchise to both of them.

Then we are told that over the next 13 years Flyers culture deteriorated to the extent that they needed a third party to hire an outside coach to come in and rebuild it.

And all of this is presented like it's a good thing.

And the guy who himself says he knows nothing about hockey says they're fully committed to two rookie executives.

Hey, could work.

Irish up that coffee.

This Is Fine GIF

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

Apparently the vaunted "Flyers culture" was so tainted and dysfunctional it couldn't handle Carter and Richards despite committing the franchise to both of them.

totally agree ...just stating that Pronger's injury really screwed this team over.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

If the shoe was on the other foot .....  we would crucify Briere if we had the #3 pick and traded it for Sanheim.  

Columbus is not trading that pick.   Only way Columbus is trading that pick is if it is our #7 overall + Sanheim + top prospect + a starter and even then they still may not trade it.

Appreciate the idea of trying to move up ...but it will cost way more than just Sanheim.

This would be the shortest phone call in history.

• Like 1

Columbus does seem to be more in the win now, with the aggressive stance in getting Johnny G.

Would trading Provy and Hayes be the tipping point?

Though many scratch their head on Hayes, he is talented and can hold on to the puck and protect it, he just isn't into, what a Center should be into, and that is defensively responsible.

Columbus with Provorov on the back end with their #1 Defensemen and Hayes and Gaudreau on first line dropping Sean to center the second line.

I'm not necessarily a fan of trading Provy, but if he wants to go then like I said, I heard that things are pushing in the front office to make asset acquisitions, Provy and maybe getting Hayes as well(with 50% salary retention) would grant us the 3rd overall pick.

Maybe Provy and Sanheim get it done instead.(That would catapult that team as contenders)

4 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

The thing that sucks though, is that every time we gotta give our talent to other teams to make them better or win Cups....

I have felt the Flyers have been a 4a farm team for championship teams for about 15 years now.

It stinks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I have felt the Flyers have been a 4a farm team for championship teams for about 15 years now.

It stinks.

If only. Generally more like a 4H club

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2023 at 7:58 AM, flyercanuck said:

My issue with this is we're always chasing that guy at top dollar. Will he make us better? Sure. He'll also help us get a worse pick the next year. I'd rather build slow and stockpile young assets myself. Chasing a Matthews is the way we've always done it. 

Meanwhile, he had 2 assists in the 2nd round, first time he's ever been there. 

While ex-not good enough for us Flyers Bobrovsky Cousins and Gudas all we personally responsible of eliminating him and the Leafs.

Yes one of Holmgren/Snider's brilliant moves to trade Bobrovsky to make room for Bryzgalov and his 9 year $51 million dollar contract. What would have become of Silent Bob if he stayed in Philly. Hopefully Briere rebuilds the right way and Flyers upper management stays the hell out of Briere's way.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 4:50 PM, flyercanuck said:

I'll just watch a real hockey team, again, with my junior team. 

If they get rid of Hayes, Deangelo, Risto and bring in some young guys, I'll start watching again. I have no problem with watching a rebuild. If they bring in more overpriced free agents, I may just stop watching the Flyers altogether. First time in my life I've despised my favorite team. 

I think a lot of Flyers fans will start watching the Flyers again if they get rid of Hayes, DeAngelo, Risto and play young guys. The fans realize it will be a long rebuild if they actually do a real rebuild.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 5:55 PM, radoran said:

Then we are told that over the next 13 years Flyers culture deteriorated to the extent that they needed a third party to hire an outside coach to come in and rebuild it.

And all of this is presented like it's a good thing.

And the guy who himself says he knows nothing about hockey says they're fully committed to two rookie executives.

Hey, could work.

Irish up that coffee.

This Is Fine GIF

why is so bad  to have rookies in the front office? just because rehashed gms that won championships, doesnt mean it's going to work with another team, it's very rare, you dont know what their plan is or they willing work with you, that's the issue with hextall here and in pittsburgh, heck the playoff teams right now have gms that havent won anything. it's just the simple fact of accountability in the front office, coaches and players. looks like we have that in the fo and coaches, players i think that's where are not there yet.

that's why briere said it's going to take time to fix this because the culture the players were apart of from the hextall era which isnt very good. there are probably some of them here but not the whole team.