Versteeg and Lupul

Guest Flyingswede

Lupul scored more points per dollar than just about any other Flyer his last season here (prior to the boost in his contract.)

I never understood the Versteeg trade (for him, not to get rid of him.)

If only Sbisa was lighting it up to complete the tri-fecta.

What can you say...

I was glad we traded both of them but I couldnt never belive they would be this good in their new teams. Its funny how players can change. I guess you can never underrate teamspirit, tactics, players roles and how players feel.

Really makes you wonder about "the room" over the past few seasons, doesn't it?

Do they need a witch doctor or maybe Tom Hanks to come in and exorcise the place? Maybe swap rooms with the visitng squad?

A quarter into the season and Florida is #2 and Tronno #3. Bizzarroworld, population: us.

Versteeg was given zero chance in Philly (late acquisition in the middle of a wicked tailspin), and played hurt anyway.

Lupul was the victim primarily of a bad contract, and was moved accordingly. Bringing in Pronger was just icing on the cake.

If the Flyers had a real veteran captain, I wonder how different things would have been post-Smith. Especially for Versteeg, Lupul, and the entire Center City Crew.

I wonder how different things would have been post-Smith

I for one wish we had gotten Smith sooner. He was a great captain and it would've been nice to have had him around a little longer. I almost wonder what would've been with Richards had Smith been around longer. Coulda taught the kid what real leadership was and perhaps Richards would've been given the captaincy at the right time, as opposed to the rushed schedule I and many other believe occurred.

What can you say...

I was glad we traded both of them but I couldnt never belive they would be this good in their new teams. Its funny how players can change. I guess you can never underrate teamspirit, tactics, players roles and how players feel.

Richards is coming on strong also... But Leino! What a train wreck!

Richards might have learned how to play tough from Smith, especially after playing in the playoffs with no arms, but leadership just takes maturity. Different guys grow at different rates, and I'm not sure Richards would have learned anything in that regard. It just takes time.

It is pretty common knowledge that versteeg was injured his entire time here. Too bad he didn't get a fair shake.

The Versteeg trade should have never happened, Holmgren panicked but instead of bolstering his defense he decides to waste a 1st rounder on getting another forward. Versteeg benefitted from playing with Dave Bolland in Chicago, he never looked good in Toronto getting top 6 forward minutes and in Philly was playing hurt.

It's almost impossible to evaluate anything last year imo, especially the 2nd half. The whole team had checked out basically. Versteeg, injured or not was never going to find chemistry with the Flyers because there was none to find. The picture that's come into focus since the big trades this summer is not pretty. The room was divided into cliques, the captain and the head coach weren't talking and the elder statesmen types were irrelevant in the locker room. When they tried to make themselves heard they were seen as (and portrayed in the media as) whiners or loudmouths.

I'm glad it's over. Now if only our captain was actually part of the team on a daily basis...instead of sitting on LTIR...

Ha! Jeez....that's a sad statement but probably true as far as last year's Flyers were concerned.

Looks like the change of address helped both sides - Richards and the Flyers - and I'm glad for it. Now Carter... whole 'nother story I guess...