Yearly Flyers Poll (Topic of Rebuild) - As done by Charlie O'Connor - The Athletic

pilldoc

Poll Questions PT 2  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the decision to openly embrace a rebuild mentality in terms of team construction and strategy?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is your biggest concern regarding the planned rebuild?

• Lack of faith in Ownership
    • Lack of faith by the Triumvarate (Hilfarey/Jones/Briere)
    • Lack of faith by Coaches (Torts, etc ..)
    • Lack of faith in current rebuilding plan (rebuild but not tank)
  3. 3. Do you want the Flyers to tank on the level of “The Process” executed by the Sixers, or do you agree with Briere that a rebuild does not need to include a full-scale fire sale of every player, particularly those under the age of 25?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. What do you view as a reasonable target date for the “end” of a successful rebuild, when the Flyers should be pivoting back into a strategy that involves actively attempting to improve the NHL roster and expending valuable assets to do so?

• 2024 offseason
    • 2025 offseason
    • 2026 offseason
    • 2027 offseason
    • 2028 offseason or later
  5. 5. When do you think will be the next time the Flyers make the playoffs?

• 2023-24 season
    • 2024-25 season
    • 2025-26 season
    • 2026-27 season
    • 2027-28 season or later

I dispute the premise of these questions.  Beyond a few bland PR statements, what makes you think the Flyers have decided to "openly embrace a rebuild mentality"?

Briere hasn't made a single move yet.  It is all talk (that he hedged on).

I will believe they have started to rebuild when they start making moves that benefit the team in the long run (4-5 years) instead of the short run (1-2 years).  That doesn't mean tanking necessarily, but it means making moves that overall add to their long term assets.

Until then, it is all talk.

Edited by SCFlyguy
  • Like 3

I don't expect him to do anything yet.  As you point out, the season isn't over.

But I'm not taking a few isolated comments, that we've heard from other Flyers' GM's that turned out to be not true, and presume there is a sea change happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Question 3 asks 2 questions that you can answer once with yes or no which makes zero sense.

good point….. it was a simple copy / paste from Charlie’s article…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I seriously don't get the love for that guy (SL). He has been a perpetual fraud his entire time in Philly. He's JVR without the hype or pricetag

It's not love...he's a mediocre player with a mediocre cap hit. In other words, in the long list of players with bad contracts on the Flyers he's not even a blip on the screen. He's quite tradeable, and could probably get us a 2nd at the deadline.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's not love...he's a mediocre player with a mediocre cap hit. In other words, in the long list of players with bad contracts on the Flyers he's not even a blip on the screen. He's quite tradeable, and could probably get us a 2nd at the deadline.

you have redeemed yourself in my eyes. Your name was removed from my book :smileyandcomputer:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Danny B needs to hire his own coach. There will be a power struggle with Torts. It's inevitable. I agree with all the other names on the list.

Sounds like they have a great relationship from every thing i have read everywhere and if/when that time comes i am sure he will do such.

As of now he has to much to sort with this roster and i think he needs Torts more than many even know at this moment. The job that still has to be done is not an easy one....axe man cometh!!!!

Agreement on the 3-year rebuild timeframe shows a lot of good minds are thinking alike.  If we don't see marked improvement by then, the New Era of Orange is the old in a new bottle.  

My fear is that addition by subtraction may have really heavy costs.  That said, we'll probably judge Briere's early years by subtraction more than addition.  

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

Agreement on the 3-year rebuild timeframe shows a lot of good minds are thinking alike.

Many of us would be a whole lot smarter if we just agreed with you, Howie :cheers:

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

That said, we'll probably judge Briere's early years by subtraction more than addition.  

Welcome to Hextall: The Early Years, Part II

JVR is a hot topic of the day but VLC was a real thing...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Welcome to Hextall: The Early Years, Part II

JVR is a hot topic of the day but VLC was a real thing...

And Hextall actually got a 3rd rounder AND got rid of VLC and his contract. I'd hate to think what Fletcher would have done to get rid of him.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

And Hextall actually got a 3rd rounder AND got rid of VLC and his contract. I'd hate to think what Fletcher would have done to get rid of him.

VLC and any remaining 2nd rounder for the next 10 years for their oldest, slowest, and worst contract

• Like 1

Surely Danny B learned at the Wharton school you can't rebuild and try to sneak in the playoffs at the same time.. Hextall and the chucktard proved it, amongst others. Getting younger, bigger, faster won't win right away, but it will be better to watch than the past dozen years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ah, and in true Flyers fashion they traded Luke Schenn alongside him.

Who, of course, they had traded their second overall pick for...

So the Flyers turned the #2 overall pick into Jordan Weal and a 3rd rounder.

Also took over a season to get done.

:hocky:

• Like 1