Carter Hart Trade speculation thread - Where does he land?

phlfly

Where does Carter Hart eventually get traded to?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Carter Hart eventually get traded to?

• Edmonton
    • Buffalo
    • Montreal
    • Anaheim
    • San Jose
    • Other
    • He does NOT get traded

• 1 month later...

A lot of chatter out of Toronto about them really wanting Hart but first they are trying to unload Murray.  One rumor has Montreal possibly taking Murray and his salary in exchange for a 1st plus but no talk about what they'd give up for Hart. Probably just rumors. 

Here's a crazy trade idea. 

Hart to Toronto/Buffalo/whoever for picks and/or prospects.

and Laughton to Boston for Swayman and Frederic.

Maybe we have to add a lower pick or two but they need a center to replace Bergeron and Swayman and Frederic are both headed to arbitration and will squeeze or break their cap as is. Laughton for those two gives them enough space to have everyone signed with about 1.5 left. 

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Laughton to Boston for Swayman and Frederic

Boston is not going to trade Swayman for Laughton.  Yes, Ulmark your reigning Vezina Trophy winner, having led all qualified starters with a 1.89 GAA and .938 SV%. He also tied for the league lead in wins (40) with Alexandar Georgiev in spite of playing in just 49 games.  However ...his playoff performance proved that he is mortal.  So where does Swayman fit into this.   Boston has a very healthy 1A/1B goalie tandem right now.  Ullmark only has 2 more years in Boston.  Swayman IS the future in goal for the Bruins.

image.png.cbe0ca4c33cdba9c18d5dd095eb45801.png

In addition Ullmark doesn't have the multi-season track record of success that some of the other goalies might have. Swayman went 24-6-4 with a 2.27 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage.    Since Bruins season ended in a fashion that left many players with a bad taste in their collective mouths, Swayman has been on record that he is optimistic a deal would be reached between him and the team and he been adamant that he wants to remain a Bruin for a long time.  "I think the team’s going to be really special in years to come, and obviously, I want to do everything I can to be a Bruin. I absolutely love wearing that Spoked-B,” Swayman also went on to say.

Boston is not trading Swayman for Laughton.

3 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Hart to Toronto

For starters I would want their 2024 1st Rd pick and prospect Mathew Knies .....

Knies brings a combination of power, pace and skill. He has taken his game to another level in terms of three zone detail this season. Knies has been deployed in all situations at the University of Minnesota. He has a knack for scoring big goals at the most important time of the game. His offence comes from the middle of the ice and around the crease. He’s a load to handle coming off the half wall in the offensive zone.  At 6'3" and 210 lbs Knies has the potential to be a top 6 winger.

3 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Hart to /Buffalo/whoever for picks and/or prospects

Buffalo will not trade for Hart.  For now the Sabres will run Comrie and UPL (Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen).  UPL was once considered one of their prime goalie prospects but has since taken a small step back.  Their prize is however in 21 yr old goalie from Northeastern Univ. Devon Levi who had a season for the ages at Northeastern last year, posting a .952 save percentage across 32 games and winning both the Mike Richter Award as college hockey’s top goalie and the Tim Taylor Award as its top rookie.

There aren’t a ton of 6-foot goalies in today’s NHL, at least not starting ones, but Levi, like Calgary’s Dustin Wolf, has all of the tools to become one. He has Impressive control on his outside edges (and the patience to hold them), quick feet on his shuffles so that he can stick with dekes and go post-to-post or low-to-high to get to tough pucks, perfect reads on shooters, excellent tracking through and under traffic, and a battler’s mentality in the net which keeps him in plays even when he looks like he’s down and out on his knees

He will be with the Sabres sooner than later.

With Levi on the fold, there is no way I see the Sabres trading for Hart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Boston is not going to trade Swayman for Laughton.  Yes, Ulmark your reigning Vezina Trophy winner, having led all qualified starters with a 1.89 GAA and .938 SV%. He also tied for the league lead in wins (40) with Alexandar Georgiev in spite of playing in just 49 games.  However ...his playoff performance proved that he is mortal.  So where does Swayman fit into this.   Boston has a very healthy 1A/1B goalie tandem right now.  Ullmark only has 2 more years in Boston.  Swayman IS the future in goal for the Bruins.

image.png.cbe0ca4c33cdba9c18d5dd095eb45801.png

In addition Ullmark doesn't have the multi-season track record of success that some of the other goalies might have. Swayman went 24-6-4 with a 2.27 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage.    Since Bruins season ended in a fashion that left many players with a bad taste in their collective mouths, Swayman has been on record that he is optimistic a deal would be reached between him and the team and he been adamant that he wants to remain a Bruin for a long time.  "I think the team’s going to be really special in years to come, and obviously, I want to do everything I can to be a Bruin. I absolutely love wearing that Spoked-B,” Swayman also went on to say.

Boston is not trading Swayman for Laughton.

Well in a way I agree BUT, there is the matter of arbitration and their limited cap space. They may not WANT to trade Swayman but if he gets more then they can afford something has to give. They might trade Ullmark, but to who and for what? Ullmark also has a limited no trade clause I think. They simply might not have a choice and thus one goalie just might have to go. 

58 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

For starters I would want their 2024 1st Rd pick and prospect Mathew Knies .....

Knies brings a combination of power, pace and skill. He has taken his game to another level in terms of three zone detail this season. Knies has been deployed in all situations at the University of Minnesota. He has a knack for scoring big goals at the most important time of the game. His offence comes from the middle of the ice and around the crease. He’s a load to handle coming off the half wall in the offensive zone.  At 6'3" and 210 lbs Knies has the potential to be a top 6 winger.

Sure, that's reasonable I think. The apparent ask is 2 firsts or the equivalent. I think this idea qualifies as the equivalent. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Buffalo will not trade for Hart.  For now the Sabres will run Comrie and UPL (Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen).  UPL was once considered one of their prime goalie prospects but has since taken a small step back.  Their prize is however in 21 yr old goalie from Northeastern Univ. Devon Levi who had a season for the ages at Northeastern last year, posting a .952 save percentage across 32 games and winning both the Mike Richter Award as college hockey’s top goalie and the Tim Taylor Award as its top rookie.

There aren’t a ton of 6-foot goalies in today’s NHL, at least not starting ones, but Levi, like Calgary’s Dustin Wolf, has all of the tools to become one. He has Impressive control on his outside edges (and the patience to hold them), quick feet on his shuffles so that he can stick with dekes and go post-to-post or low-to-high to get to tough pucks, perfect reads on shooters, excellent tracking through and under traffic, and a battler’s mentality in the net which keeps him in plays even when he looks like he’s down and out on his knees

He will be with the Sabres sooner than later.

With Levi on the fold, there is no way I see the Sabres trading for Hart.

You're probably right, as they have shown few signs of being a "win now" aggressive team in free agency but if they don't add a proven half decent goalie I think it's a mistake and they will be on the outside looking in again (despite their young offensive talent). Levi may very well be a star of the future, but he needs time to develop, and he's also not big enough for me to pronounce him a definite NHL star. He's a maybe because of his athleticism, but still a maybe. We all know how rushing a young goalie can stunt him don't we? and Comrie and UPL are both s$$t. 

Buffalo actually needs 2 guys we have. Hart and Laughton (as their 3C). If they added them I'd bet they are in the playoffs finally . 

16 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Well in a way I agree BUT, there is the matter of arbitration and their limited cap space. They may not WANT to trade Swayman but if he gets more then they can afford something has to give. They might trade Ullmark, but to who and for what? Ullmark also has a limited no trade clause I think. They simply might not have a choice and thus one goalie just might have to go. 

Bergeron retiring opens up a lot of cap space.

Yes…. He has a modified NTC. He has 15-16 teams no trade clause.

Ullnmark will be gone in 2 years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Levi may very well be a star of the future, but he needs time to develop, and he's also not big enough for me to pronounce him a definite NHL star. He's a maybe because of his athleticism, but still a maybe. We all know how rushing a young goalie can stunt him don't we?

will agree to disagree. Many hockey pundits have Levi starting in the NHL sooner than later. At most he spends 1 maybe 1.5 years at Rochester. Remember he has already had 2 years in college. IMHO I understand your POV but I just don’t think Buffalo is a good trading partner for the Flyers.

17 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Bergeron retiring opens up a lot of cap space.

Yes…. He has a modified NTC. He has 15-16 teams no trade clause.

Ullnmark will be gone in 2 years.

No it doesn't. Bergeron was playing for 1 million or something like that. 

They have about 5 million right now but need to sign Swayman and Frederic, that's it. Next year, with 7+ UFAs then they have cap space, but will also have to find players. 

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

No it doesn't. Bergeron was playing for 1 million or something like that. 

They have about 5 million right now but need to sign Swayman and Frederic, that's it. Next year, with 7+ UFAs then they have cap space, but will also have to find players. 

you are right…. My apologies. The Bruins will have 30+ million in cap space in 24-25. I looked at the wrong column.

Regardless… I still think the Bruins will find a way to resign Swayman.  He is their future in net.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

will agree to disagree. Many hockey pundits have Levi starting in the NHL sooner than later. At most he spends 1 maybe 1.5 years at Rochester. Remember he has already had 2 years in college. IMHO I understand your POV but I just don’t think Buffalo is a good trading partner for the Flyers.

Buffalo is not unfamiliar with unconventional goalies.

Levi will be given every opportunity to fail. They will have UPL to pick up the pieces.

I can see it working out as a 1 A/B with Levi emerging as the long term starter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I'm curious on why would the Flyers trade Hart? Especially how their luck as been with goaltending lately.

Because they are rebuilding , he will be 26 and a RFA  when his contract is up after next year. So by the by the time the team is good he will be 30. He will be looking for a big increase and they have some very good young goalies in the system. This season they can get a real good idea if Ersson can replace Hart, the other goalies are not ready. If Ersson proves to be good and the right deal comes along,then you can trade Hart and get two real good assets and expedite the rebuild. They can still decide to keep him if the right deal comes along or Ersson and the other goalies fail. If you get the right deal then it makes sense to make a trade. No need to waste a goalies prime being on a crap team when you are building for the future for the next five years. We are still stuck with Coots, his bad back and high contract for 7 more years and Sanheim for 8, you cant keep giving out ridiculous long term contracts. The Flyers never learn,  they finally get out from bad contracts and then go and do the same thing over and over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I'm curious on why would the Flyers trade Hart? Especially how their luck as been with goaltending lately.

Lately?

Lately, the tower of Pisa has shown a lean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Lately?

Lately, the tower of Pisa has shown a lean.

Exactly, The last great goalie we had for a decent stretch of years was Parent. We had some good goalies like Peeters , Lindbergh, Cecmanek and Bob for a short time and we also had one great year from Hexy, but after he popped his hamstrings and hip, he was average to bad. We also had countless failures, far too many to list.

14 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Flyguys just drafted more goalies in addition to Erson, Sandstrom, and maybe Fedotov?  And they Flyers are kind of TRYING to tank right now...

Would be surprised if Briere DOESNT move Hart at this point

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Exactly, The last great goalie we had for a decent stretch of years was Parent. We had some good goalies like Peeters , Lindbergh, Cecmanek and Bob for a short time and we also had one great year from Hexy, but after he popped his hamstrings and hip, he was average to bad. We also had countless failures, far too many to list.

Mason was actually pretty darn good for a couple years too tbh

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, RonJeremy said:

Tell Hart to pack his bags leaving town at midnight.

There is a typo there shohld be tolled not nolled.

Now we wait.