Zadina on waivers

jammer2

12 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I was never a big zadina fan when he was with the mooseheads.

I remember being more impressed with Xavier Parent, who tragically never grew bigger than 5 foot 6

Wierd. 'Cause his numbers in Halifax, his only year in the Q after playing 25 games in the Czech pro league, are simply

outstanding: 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/236471/filip-zadina

40 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Wierd. 'Cause his numbers in Halifax, his only year in the Q after playing 25 games in the Czech pro league, are simply

outstanding: 

Latest word out of Detroit is the Wings and Zasina are mutually discussing waivers for the purpose of terminating the contract. Zadina gives up the 5 mill owed to him and becomes a UFA. Wings would erase his cap hit. Guess he REALLY wants a fresh start??

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Latest word out of Detroit is the Wings and Zasina are mutually discussing waivers for the purpose of terminating the contract. Zadina gives up the 5 mill owed to him and becomes a UFA. Wings would erase his cap hit. Guess he REALLY wants a fresh start??

I...don't think that's a thing.  I've been out of the loop for a bit, but that seems on its face to be a not-thing.  You have a contract, it either gets paid over its negotiated course, or you buy it out, at 2/3rds of the remaining value, spread over twice the remaining term for cap-hit purposes.

The only exception I can think of is retirement.  Retirement can void a contract, I think, but there are consequences.  One being a mandated amount of time out of the league (I *think* it's just one year, and then you can un-retire, but again, it's been a while).

There is no "we waived him, no one claimed him, so now his contract goes away".  The NFL has that, the NHL does not.

Here's the thing, people:  draft rankings are based on children playing against children.  Yes, they may play some against 20 year-olds (who are only still in junior because they aren't good enough to not be), but they've not stood against 29 year old NHL vets, players a decade removed and refined from the diluted talent of major juniors.  The evaluation has huge blind spots.   Some percentage of the time, things just don't play forward from there as you'd expect.  

Dude didn't live up to expectations at all, and the Wings lost patience, and want him gone, for whatever reason.  The weird thing here is, like I said before, there's no cap relief from demoting him.  Which means there isn't really any point to waiving him, other than A)he's that bad, and is in the way of better up and coming players, and you need the roster spot, or B)please please please someone claim him.

1 hour ago, aziz said:

I...don't think that's a thing.  I've been out of the loop for a bit, but that seems on its face to be a not-thing.  You have a contract, it either gets paid over its negotiated course, or you buy it out, at 2/3rds of the remaining value, spread over twice the remaining term for cap-hit purposes.

The only exception I can think of is retirement.  Retirement can void a contract, I think, but there are consequences.  One being a mandated amount of time out of the league (I *think* it's just one year, and then you can un-retire, but again, it's been a while).

There is no "we waived him, no one claimed him, so now his contract goes away".  The NFL has that, the NHL does not.

Here's the thing, people:  draft rankings are based on children playing against children.  Yes, they may play some against 20 year-olds (who are only still in junior because they aren't good enough to not be), but they've not stood against 29 year old NHL vets, players a decade removed and refined from the diluted talent of major juniors.  The evaluation has huge blind spots.   Some percentage of the time, things just don't play forward from there as you'd expect.  

Dude didn't live up to expectations at all, and the Wings lost patience, and want him gone, for whatever reason.  The weird thing here is, like I said before, there's no cap relief from demoting him.  Which means there isn't really any point to waiving him, other than A)he's that bad, and is in the way of better up and coming players, and you need the roster spot, or B)please please please someone claim him.

Unless the Detroit Free Press is wrong ....

"Clearing termination waivers means no penalty to the Wings and no money for Zadina. He becomes a UFA". 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

"Clearing termination waivers means no penalty to the Wings and no money for Zadina. He becomes a UFA". 

I read the same story.

Both sides have to agree to this and most times that is the problem both sides don't want to agree to something like this.

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I read the same story.

Both sides have to agree to this and most times that is the problem both sides don't want to agree to something like this.

I think that is why we never really hear about termination waivers...cause players don't just walk away from money like that. In this case, Zadina is essentially burning 5 mill to get a fresh clean/break. Usually, a player would hold on at all cost...ride the AHL busses, hope for a buy out etc. This kinda stance is very rare. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

15 hours ago, Podein25 said:

outstanding: 

On 3/3/2018 at 11:05 AM, J0e Th0rnton said:

Zadina is good, but does not blow me away.

Xavier Parent will be a gem next year.

2020??? I thought laf was next year 

Old convo lol

• Good Post 1

22 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Old convo lol

Lol, cool.

Ok, so who was his center in Halifax? Was it Parent?

Because maybe it's his center or other linemates that explains Z's 44 goals in 58 GP as a 17/18 year old, which is pretty good even in the Q.

14 hours ago, jammer2 said:

It has to be mutual between player and team which this was. It relieves Detroit of any monies owed, saving a smidge less than 2 million per. It allows zadina a fresh start and the ability to negotiate with the teams of his choice. IMHO the wings come out great, zero cap retention, and zadina gambles on his abilities.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Parent ended up being ECHL fodder is all yikes...

Yeah he was 15 at the time and I figured he would grow a few inches. He was dynamic at a young age but struggled as time went on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, cool.

Ok, so who was his center in Halifax? Was it Parent?

Because maybe it's his center or other linemates that explains Z's 44 goals in 58 GP as a 17/18 year old, which is pretty good even in the Q.

No, parent was on the lower lines then. I didn't work in the arena at the time so I didn't watch as many games. watched 6 to 8 a year back then.

But the games I did go to I just never got wowed by zadina and i said as much at the time. Solid but unspectacular. I was usually wowed by others. He usually played with fortier and somppi from what I recall, but they line blended a lot

Zadina burned a lot of money to get free of Detroit. Does he have a plan/destination in mind? This is an unusual case so I have to think he has some sort of desired outcome and wants to play somewhere specific. 

Any rebuilding team, including Philly, should at the very least offer a PTO.  The success Seattle had w Tolvanen is a perfect example that salvation is possible.  Not saying Zadina or Tolvnen will be elite top wingers but mid 6 contributors is realistic and probable for Tolvanen

9 hours ago, hmc687 said:

Any rebuilding team, including Philly, should at the very least offer a PTO.  The success Seattle had w Tolvanen is a perfect example that salvation is possible.  Not saying Zadina or Tolvnen will be elite top wingers but mid 6 contributors is realistic and probable for Tolvanen

His ideal signing spot would be a team lacking stars and bursting with top 6 opportunity. 

I'm actually surprised the sharks didn't claim him given our capspace,  his young age and small caphit. Granted he had opportunity on the wings and maybe GMs see its not worth trying. But sharks go nowhere for a few years anyways

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

His ideal signing spot would be a team lacking stars and bursting with top 6 opportunity. 

I'm actually surprised the sharks didn't claim him given our capspace,  his young age and small caphit. Granted he had opportunity on the wings and maybe GMs see its not worth trying. But sharks go nowhere for a few years anyways

Yes, both our teams are currrently in the same boat. Seems strange nobody is giving him a shot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Yes, both our teams are currrently in the same boat. Seems strange nobody is giving him a shot.

Something going on there I don't think is being put out to us all very rare for both sides to wall away. We may find out later.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Something going on there I don't think is being put out to us all very rare for both sides to wall away. We may find out later.

Gotta be something under the surface otherwise SOME team wouldve taken a flyer.  Its nuts that NOBODY wanted a free 6OA for a year or two?  Yeah something is fishy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hmc687 said:

Gotta be something under the surface otherwise SOME team wouldve taken a flyer.  Its nuts that NOBODY wanted a free 6OA for a year or two?  Yeah something is fishy

The words "attitude" and "full of himself" came up a lot when it came to his draft year. He was expected to go earlier than he did in the draft.

He wasn't happy when he went to grand rapids and didn't make the team lol

That was his draft year though.

By the sounds of it, he would have refused to play AHL this season

I think nobody is responding cause he's still a tweener. Even the crappy teams have a real good idea of who their top 6 is comprised of. So, you scrap one of those 6 for a guy who HAS to be in the top 6 or he's useless. Even then, your hoping the offense comes? Betting he also wants a 1 way deal, which is uncommon for a reclamation project. Teams just don't need the headache to take the 10% bet Stevie was wrong.

On 7/9/2023 at 9:45 AM, flyercanuck said:

22 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I think nobody is responding cause he's still a tweener. Even the crappy teams have a real good idea of who their top 6 is comprised of. So, you scrap one of those 6 for a guy who HAS to be in the top 6 or he's useless. Even then, your hoping the offense comes? Betting he also wants a 1 way deal, which is uncommon for a reclamation project. Teams just don't need the headache to take the 10% bet Stevie was wrong.

And boom he signs with the Sharks.

1.1 million for 1 year. Cheap, no risk. I like it, even if I don't particularly like him.

On 7/9/2023 at 9:03 AM, J0e Th0rnton said:

Our top 6 is Hertl + Couture + whoever at this point.

Barabanov, Duclair and Labanc round out the rest of our top 5

Eklund is gunning for a spot but may need another year. Will Smith? Doubt he makes the team yet, but its possible. Jacob petersen looked decent in his 11 games

• Like 1