Zadina on waivers

jammer2

6 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Some Wing fan friends just texted me Zadina just put on waivers. Still young, reclamation project? Rather reclaim him than Poehling if I had the choice. ..

I just saw that. $1.85M

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I just saw that. $1.85M

Does he just need top 6 minutes that Detroit can't provide? He had some shots at top 6 and didn't deliver....but I still wonder if there is untapped potential there...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Does he just need top 6 minutes that Detroit can't provide? He had some shots at top 6 and didn't deliver....but I still wonder if there is untapped potential there...

Dunno, it's not a team I follow much. Maybe @yave1964 could weigh in with some insight.  6th overall and so much excitement about him after he came over to play in Halifax. 

37 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Some Wing fan friends just texted me Zadina just put on waivers. Still young, reclamation project? Rather reclaim him than Poehling if I had the choice. ..

24 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

17 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Dunno, it's not a team I follow much. Maybe @yave1964 could weigh in with some insight.  6th overall and so much excitement about him after he came over to play in Halifax. 

I definitely would have preferred Zadina or Poehling ..

Filip Zadina's Player Profile (From 2018)
NHL Central Scouting: "High-end skilled forward with excellent playmaking ability. He has very good vision, excellent anticipation and exceptional natural instincts. Possesses strong puck skills, a quick, accurate release, and looks to shoot. He is committed to playing a two-way game."

Guillaume Lepage - NHL.com - April 30: "A sharpshooter with good size (6-0, 195), he can change the course of a game when he decides to take matters into his own hands."

Mike Morreale - NHL.com - April 30: "He'll go to the tough areas to generate scoring chances and is a dynamic goal scorer with a quick, accurate release." 

Craig Button - TSN - April 28: "An elite scoring winger who is dangerous from the circles down and competes to score inside the dots. "

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - April 28: "His innate ability to score goals is translatable in that he knows where to go to get into scoring position. Zadina has pro bloodlines and answered every task asked of him all season in a variety of events."

Steve Kournianos - SportingNews/The Draft Analys - April 28: "This Czech sniper consistently has been the best player for his teams in both league and international play. Zadina is a complete player who is a danger to score no matter the situation."

From the Hockey Writers ......

image.png.9b4789344aa8a283994b9e6e70c1e244.png

he Halifax Mooseheads have produced some top-notch NHL talent over the last few years. Some of the most notable examples include Nico Hischier (first overall in 2017), Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin (first and third overall in 2013), Nikolaj Ehlers (ninth overall in 2014) and Timo Meier (ninth overall in 2015). That trend should remain steady this season with Filip Zadina primed to go early in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.

The winger has exceeded all expectations this season – an impressive feat. given how highly touted he was prior to ever stepping foot on a QMJHL sheet of ice. His combination of size, speed and skill make him an intriguing prospect who has all the makings of a star. His lateral movements and straight-line speed make him more than just a threat on offense, however, as he’s a potent penalty killer too.

Filip Zadina – NHL Draft Projection
It’s rare to find a player so consistently ranked in draft projections. Zadina, however, has been ranked as the No. 3 prospect from the beginning of the season until the very end with only Rasmus Dahlin and Andrei Svechnikov ranked higher. With that in mind, Zadina’s most likely draft position will be third overall in 2018. There have been people who have talked about Zadina going as high as second overall,  however, so that will be something to watch for as well.

Strengths

• Elite shot
  • Strong skating
  • Hard worker
  • Ability to beat the opposition from anywhere

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Defensive impact
  • Decision making

NHL Potential
There’s no doubt that Zadina has the potential to be a top-line winger if he reaches his full potential at the NHL level. He’s already so refined that he could make an impact as a top-six forward as early as next season depending on where he’s drafted and how well he performs out of training camp.

I would have preferred Zardina if I would  have known the Red Wings would release him .....

IMO Zardina potential >> Poehling potential

• Like 2

Just now, ctid said:

What happened to this kid? 6th overall in 18. Surely someone will claim him and give him a chance (change of scenery).

I hope the Flyers take a shot. Seriously. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

in a game that has gotten softer as the years have went by, he is taking it to extreme. Honestly, i think covid screwed his development up for a year or two, he never got traction, injuries have hit at the wrong time, essentially snakebit. That said, the Wings have given him every opportunity in the world, he has never grabbed it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How does the waiver system work? So let's say the Sens, Flyers, and Blues all make a claim for Zadina. Who get's him? Is it just whoever puts in the claim first, or is it the lowest ranked club in a given season?

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

in a game that has gotten softer as the years have went by, he is taking it to extreme. Honestly, i think covid screwed his development up for a year or two, he never got traction, injuries have hit at the wrong time, essentially snakebit. That said, the Wings have given him every opportunity in the world, he has never grabbed it. 

I recall 3 different times he was inserted into the top 6, once even top 3...and he failed to respond. If ever change of scenery applied, it might be here. 

• Like 1

We all know what's going to happen. Someone is going to claim him, Zadina will end up reaching his potential, and the Flyers will say "but Poehling offers so much more" ********. It's clear that the team being built is being built to Tortorella's specifications. So yeah, guys like Zadina will never be welcome here, but if they can find a younger Hathaway clone, you can bet that they'll be all over that like stink on ****.

• Like 2

I'd take the chance if I were them. This sort of thing worked out great for Seattle last year with Tolvanen and for Buffalo with Jost. Both disappointments who did better in new scenarios. Worth the gamble. 

• Like 1

So is it a buy out Yzerman is doing with Zadina then? If so, I think you'll see someone sign him to a veterans minimum deal. Come on Briere, this is one guy that can REALLY help out the left side without having to move any right wing players.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

So is it a buy out Yzerman is doing with Zadina then? If so, I think you'll see someone sign him to a veterans minimum deal. Come on Briere, this is one guy that can REALLY help out the left side without having to move any right wing players.

Think teams were passing on the 1.8 owing to him rather than him. 

I still can't believe he's gone unclaimed. Worse players have signed for more money and nobody, even our own team, is willing to give him a chance? Something else must be going on because clubs like the Flyers, ducks, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, etc....should be all over him. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I still can't believe he's gone unclaimed. Worse players have signed for more money and nobody, even our own team, is willing to give him a chance? Something else must be going on because clubs like the Flyers, ducks, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, etc....should be all over him. 

I was thinking about posting the exact....

It must be an underlying factor. He's still young, cheap with untapped skill, seems iffy that no one took a shot at him.

• Like 2

Just now, Podein25 said:

At what price point, if any, do you think a team might have claimed him?

I genuinely was a bit surprised he was not claimed by a team fighting to get to the cap floor such as Arizona or Philly or San Jose, a shade under two million a year for two years, honestly he might have been worth taking a shot. 

Man the wings in Holland's later years were dreadful with first and second rounders, mantha is meh and is probably the best of a bad lot. Cholowski, Frk, Rasmussen, jurco, Oullet, Givani Smith, Zadina and Svechnikov were some of his glaring swings and misses. Yeah I know, Larkin but every now and then a blind squirrel finds an acorn. He left a scorched Earth and the pipeline is finally becoming restocked.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I genuinely was a bit surprised he was not claimed by a team fighting to get to the cap floor such as Arizona or Philly or San Jose, a shade under two million a year for two years, honestly he might have been worth taking a shot. 

Man the wings in Holland's later years were dreadful with first and second rounders, mantha is meh and is probably the best of a bad lot. Cholowski, Frk, Rasmussen, jurco, Oullet, Givani Smith, Zadina and Svechnikov were some of his glaring swings and misses. Yeah I know, Larkin but every now and then a blind squirrel finds an acorn. He left a scorched Earth and the pipeline is finally becoming restocked.

Holy crap what a group. I'm still shocked about Zadina. I really liked him in his draft year.

I'm still on why no one tried. It really would have amounted to a one year "show me" and then waive him if not.   I can't imagine want either Philly or Arizona have to lose.  

You have a better vantage. Is he simply not an NHL player or is there something "culture" that is scaring teams off?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It really would have amounted to a one year "show me" and then waive him if not.   I can't imagine want either Philly or Arizona have to lose.

waiving him doesn't remove the cap hit, it's a one way deal.  so taking him on is taking his contract on, for the next two seasons.  and his numbers aren't great, but that's all i have to go on.  maybe diamond in the rough?  or, high pick bust?  looks a bit like the latter, and it seems most team scouts agree, but they are wrong most of the time, so hey.

in the end, a team would be limiting some cap availability for a couple of years in exchange for a maybe-but-probably-not.  i agree, i don't know why the flyers wouldn't, you know, take a flyer there.  it isn't like they plan on doing anything with $1.8mil of cap space in the next two years.  why not try?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Holy crap what a group. I'm still shocked about Zadina. I really liked him in his draft year.

I'm still on why no one tried. It really would have amounted to a one year "show me" and then waive him if not.   I can't imagine want either Philly or Arizona have to lose.  

You have a better vantage. Is he simply not an NHL player or is there something "culture" that is scaring teams off?

Blashill when he left Detroit made a comment about 'uncoachable' players which many, if not most took to refer to Mantha, as the two of them had a hate/hate relationship, but as Mantha was gone for a year before the axe finally swung on Blashill, it likely was code for a roster player currently on the roster when Blashill was whacked, I have seen several people think it was Rasmussen but imho it has to be zadina.

In juniors he loved to use a burst of speed down the right side and fire it through the goalie from just inside the right faceoff circle high and glove side, if you watch his predator video it is his major move, challenging goalies from there one on one NHL goalies are too good to allow anyone to beat them regularly with that shot. After four years it's still his go to, he has made no adjustments to the NHL game, he still thinks he is in juniors. He has no idea how to set a screen, how to look for the trailer, he still thinks his junior game will eventually start working in the NHL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2