2023-24 Philadelphia Flyers

After watching last night, I might say there's hope for improvement this year.  Our fourth line might establish possession and add some unexpected scoring.  Frost and Foerster are budding. Tippett will grow.  Will we hit .500, I doubt it.  But this team will not be as offensively challenged as its predecessor.

My leading indicator will be improvement in overtime and shootout.  We are league worst since 2006:

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2023/01/an-extra-five-minutes-no-thank-you-thoughts-on-the-flyers-overtime-ineptitude.html

When we start winning at least half our SO and OT, I will have reason to believe this team is morphing into a 21st Century contender.  Seriously.  I think our poor performance after regulation has said a lot about the people we draft and trade for, and the type of play senior management has liked (old-style physicality versus skill).  

Bottom line--I want .500+ after regulation.  That's my leading indicator for a new-and-improved Flyers.  

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

After watching last night, I might say there's hope for improvement this year.  Our fourth line might establish possession and add some unexpected scoring.  Frost and Foerster are budding. Tippett will grow.  Will we hit .500, I doubt it.  But this team will not be as offensively challenged as its predecessor.

My leading indicator will be improvement in overtime and shootout.  We are league worst since 2006:

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2023/01/an-extra-five-minutes-no-thank-you-thoughts-on-the-flyers-overtime-ineptitude.html

When we start winning at least half our SO and OT, I will have reason to believe this team is morphing into a 21st Century contender.  Seriously.  I think our poor performance after regulation has said a lot about the people we draft and trade for, and the type of play senior management has liked (old-style physicality versus skill).  

Bottom line--I want .500+ after regulation.  That's my leading indicator for a new-and-improved Flyers.  

Ad much as the Flyers are talking about adding skill and youth, it's the same old story of having older two way players over younger skilled guys. I would rather see Ginning or Attard over StalI and I dont see Brink and Foerester both making it to start the season. I know we are stuck with alot of contracts, I just hope we dump some veterans at the deadline. If thr Flyers are close to a playoff spot at mid season,  I can just see the greedy Corp, wanting to make some playoff $ and keeping all the vets.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

It's a real shame. Wade is one of the great names of all time in my opinion. 

And he finally got to wear the #17 jersey for once.

I swear I hope he doesn't get claimed.

Patrick Sharp part deux end up a Blackhawk...

I get some are not happy with the Allison move, but let's face it, the guy is always hurt. If he blossoms elsewhere, good for him. But during his time in Philadelphia, he was always hurt. He simply couldn't be relied upon. I'm guessing this means Foerster and Brink are making the team.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I get some are not happy with the Allison move, but let's face it, the guy is always hurt. If he blossoms elsewhere, good for him. But during his time in Philadelphia, he was always hurt. He simply couldn't be relied upon. I'm guessing this means Foerster and Brink are making the team.

1000% this.  I mean, the kid was fun in the 13 minutes a season he played.   But I'm not sending down other kids who played well for Allison.

I wish him well; I really do.  I hope his career and health take a good turn.   But it's time to move on.

That said, I hope no one claims him.   It's unlikely, though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

1000% this.  I mean, the kid was fun in the 13 minutes a season he played.   But I'm not sending down other kids who played well for Allison.

I wish him well; I really do.  I hope his career and health take a good turn.   But it's time to move on.

That said, I hope no one claims him.   It's unlikely, though.

If he were drafted in 2018 or later as a second rounder, I'd say he's taken. 2016--you begin to wonder if it will ever happen?  

For the first time in God knows how long, there is serious competition for slots with good youngsters.  That's a good thing.  

• Like 1

I'm guessing...

Farabee - Couturier - Foerster
Tippett - Frost - Atkinson
Laughton- Cates - Konecny
Deslauriers - Poehling - Hathaway

Brink

York - Ristolainen
Staal - Sanheim
Seeler - Walker
Andrae - Zamula

Hart
Ersson

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm guessing...

Farabee - Couturier - Foerster
Tippett - Frost - Atkinson
Laughton- Cates - Konecny
Deslauriers - Poehling - Hathaway

Brink

York - Ristolainen
Staal - Sanheim
Seeler - Walker
Andrae - Zamula

Hart
Ersson

Probably

But I'm really hoping for a Tippett-Frost-Brink line. It's on the small side, but they had a lot of chemistry and varying skills that seemed to fit together.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But I'm really hoping for a Tippett-Frost-Brink line.

I'm thinking they may alternate Brink and Forester in and out of the lineup that is why they went ahead and waved Allison.

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm thinking they may alternate Brink and Forester in and out of the lineup that is why they went ahead and waved Allison.

That's not a great way to develop young players by only playing on half the games. The best move is to trade TK for a real good young dman,.you help the defense and you create room for the younger right wingers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

That's not a great way to develop young players by only playing on half the games. The best move is to trade TK for a real good young dman,.you help the defense and you create room for the younger right wingers.

Not my idea it seems to be Torts.

Looking forward some with the glut of RWs they have yeah someone needs to go.

Atkinson 34

Konecny 26

Allison 25

Tippett 24

Brink 22

Foerster 21

So with Allison already waived that means after the obvious Cam needing to go the only other older option is TK.

So with 2 years left on his deal they should go ahead and move him.

But the problem there in lies the problem i really think they want to go ahead and push for a wild card instead of completing the rebuild "tear down".

Making is seem to me more like a retool the ol Flyer way.

I suggested weeks back to package the besties together Konecny and Sanheim.

In my mind those two make the trade power more synergistic.

But maybe some would add strapping Sanheim's contract to him bring the value down and yes maybe....but i would try to move them both.

But looking at teams cap space well it seems you'd only have one trade partner with the space to do it...Blackhawks...maybe the Ducks but in both you may have to take something back for the cap to work. 

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

create room

I can see a trade before Monday Mathieu Joseph going to fill that open spot on the roster???

Flyers having close to 9 mill in cap space Sens still need to sign Pinto and only have 1.7 mill in cap space.

Only 18 players on the roster now needing to get to 23.

Flyers just need to send some kids down to make room...this is why they waived Allison i think.

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Allison cleared waivers....so I guess everyone else in the league knows he's made of glass.

More to it than that. If you claim him he isnon your roster for 30 days can't be waived.

So if injuries crop up and cap is tight which like is the case around the league then you maybe have to cut someone else to make something work.