DeAngelo Unconditionally released and bought out

13 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They probably still command enough institutional respect that if any of them demanded final say on the direction of the team they’d get some support from the upper echelons at Comcast. I’m sure they’ve all long since ingratiated themselves into the corporate power structure. The thing is … would that even matter now? Given all the new faces in the Flyers’ management I think I hope I pray it’s safe to say the days of Clarke, Holmgren, Barber and Lombardi calling the shots are finally over.

Edit of my previous comment..I'm cynical enough to believe that those three can still manipulate things, being that they're on the top 5 list of greatest Flyers ever.

I DON'T think it's safe to say, that the days of those 4 of Clarke, Holmgren, Barber and Lombardi calling the shots (particularly the first 3), are finally over. It wouldn't surprise me, if they were still pulling some of the strings..behind the scenes, somewhere in the organ-eye-zation. Not a bit.

5 hours ago, FD19372 said:

It wouldn't surprise me, if they were still pulling some of the strings..behind the scenes, somewhere in the organ-eye-zation. Not a bit.

Maybe but I'm more optimistic. I wasn't crazy about a new "good old boys" network beginning all over again in management - which nobody but me thought was happening anyway - but in any case you have to admit the new guys haven't adhered to the Old Guard's philosophy.

Briere is doing what he and Tortorella said had to be done. He's gotten rid of the embarrassingly-overpaid under-performers and consequently the roster is getting younger. He and his scouting team were exceptionally bold on Draft Day and that's certainly unlike the Old Guard, don't you agree?

There's more but you get the drift. Things are changing for the better. I think that's undeniable. Like you I'll maintain a healthy skepticism until Clarke and the other 3 finally retire but for now ... so far so good.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Edit of my previous comment..I'm cynical enough to believe that those three can still manipulate things, being that they're on the top 5 list of greatest Flyers ever.

I DON'T think it's safe to say, that the days of those 4 of Clarke, Holmgren, Barber and Lombardi calling the shots (particularly the first 3), are finally over. It wouldn't surprise me, if they were still pulling some of the strings..behind the scenes, somewhere in the organ-eye-zation. Not a bit.

Your pessimism is understandable. As a Flyer fan, you've earned the right. I just don't think this is the case any longer. There was a real good article about Hilferty online. The guy sounds legit. Briere sounds legit. I think they are aware that the fanbase has had enough, and it's starting to hurt. They also know that the fans are smart enough to know which office the clowns reside in. For them to put it out there that this time is different, really opens them up. More of the same could cost them dearly, and they know it

• Good Post 1

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

They also know that the fans are smart enough to know which office the clowns reside in.

Go on the Flyers Facebook page and read any thread.

If you believe they're all actually Flyers fans, it'll take 10 minutes until you're convinced the average Flyers fan is an imbecile.

Just now, ruxpin said:

If you believe they're all actually Flyers fans, it'll take 10 minutes until you're convinced the average Flyers fan is an imbecile.

@CoachX

Then again, it could be superfan88 logged in under 500 different screen names.

His sister works a lot. Whatcha gonna do?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Sometimes I don't have to look farther then a few select posts on our little forum 

Present company excluded, of course

Edited by CoachX

24 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Sometimes I don't have to look farther then a few select posts on our little forum 

Present company excluded, of course

Of course.

Although I accidentally admitted to going to the Flyers' Facebook page, so...

30 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Of course.

Although I accidentally admitted to going to the Flyers' Facebook page, so...

Yeah there is that

Whats this Facebook you speak of :thinking:

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Yeah there is that

Whats this Facebook you speak of :thinking:

It's the book i hit myself in the face with every time i forgot myself and turned the Flyers game on.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I think the Flyers were the ones holding back.

And it was a smart move by Danny if they were to retain salary on TDA then they would only have space to retain salary on one more deal.

So now at the deadline they have the ability to retain salary on two players if need be.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, hmc687 said:

Canes signed TDA for the same amount Phila buyout cost.  Jesus, the Canes are 10/10 trolls between this contract and the offer sheet w Kotkaniemi

Ya, I hate them. 

Don't see how having a retention spot helps us though. Who you retaining on? Hart? Why?

No way I want to retain on a long contract like Sanheim. I don't see anyone else we have to move. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

Don't see how having a retention spot helps us though. Who you retaining on? Hart? Why?

No way I want to retain on a long contract like Sanheim. I don't see anyone else we have to move

I'm with you.  But if some bozo is willing to take Risto with retention, I'll be happy to have the slot available.  It's not likely, so I don't know that it's wise to plan for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Who would have ever seen this coming...

:PopcornSmiley2:

If there was to be an example of cap circumvention...

This is far more egregious than the reported deal that was nixed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I'm with you.  But if some bozo is willing to take Risto with retention, I'll be happy to have the slot available.  It's not likely, so I don't know that it's wise to plan for it.

I would, but we'd have to find a replacement. We're already thin on D as it is. Unless we bring in somebody else we're better off to just slog it out with Risto until his contract is up (or at least closer to the end).

6 hours ago, radoran said:

I am glad he is just gone.

One more big turd left to be moved...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

we're better off to just slog it out with Risto until his contract is up (or at least closer to the end).

Maybe...but ugh. Ristolainen is the Hayes of the D. 

Anything short of a stupid Fletcher deal (like the one that brought Ristolainen to the Flyers) I'd love to see Briere make it happen. It's hard enough rebuilding into a younger, smarter, faster team - no sense hanging onto a guy who is none of those things.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Atkin$on, Couturier, $anhiem, Ri$tolainen. 

All are, ahem, not favorable contract players that if things break right or don't break...hi-YO!  could be moved for more magic beans and seedlings.

No one is lining up of all of any of those guys' full-term contracts, but keep a portion for a time?...especially on Atkin$on and Ri$to maybe some lost draft capital and some quality prospects can come the other way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, radoran said:

seems like some NHL fuquerey was afoot!

32 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Atkin$on, Couturier, $anhiem, Ri$tolainen. 

All are, ahem, not favorable contract players that if things break right or don't break...hi-YO!  could be moved for more magic beans and seedlings.

No one is lining up of all of any of those guys' full-term contracts, but keep a portion for a time?...especially on Atkin$on and Ri$to maybe some lost draft capital and some quality prospects can come the other way.

Yep or you can retain salary for another team's player in say like a 3 team trade for something in return.