Game 14: Philadelphia Flyers at Anaheim Ducks; 11/10/23 @ 10 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The O and B are underdogs (+109), having lost five of their last six.  Of late, we have been a bad road team and haven't played well against the Western Conference:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-anaheim-odds-november-10-2023-2015518

Statistically, Anaheim is better defensively and has a semi-passable PP:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/ana-vs-phi/2023/11/10/2023020208

Three questions for this game:

1) Can we score at least one PP goal?

2) Does Frost sit out?

3) When do the players and coaching staff "get" that lots of low-danger shots won't win them games?

Our PP kills momentum.  On Frost--I begin to wonder if they kill trade value via benching, even if the brass has decided he isn't part of the future? Regarding the third point--I hate to sound like a broken record, but the "outshoot but underscore the opponent" phenomenon has bugged me since the Hakstol days.  I assume part of that is talent.  But you have to wonder if the coaches aren't reinforcing the need for high-danger shots that require lateral movement for the goalie.  And that's part of the PP issue as well.   Yes, we have no superstars.  But some competence and creativity might help.  Meanwhile, who the hell is telling these people that missed shots are leading to bounces that jack rabbit the opponent.  Please pardon my editorializing.  

• Like 1

@Howie58

Some good questions for discussion Howie.

IMO the power play needs to simplify, it's easy to play against because there are very few shots coming from the point or the slot or from anywhere.  There isn't a Laine or Stamkos on this team so the PP needs volume shooting, not perfect set-ups.  Make the PK defense move and make decisions by creating some chaos around the goalie with shots.  I hear the coach saying this, I don't see the players doing it. 

I don't see where sitting Frost does anything positive for anyone. These aren't great teams the Flyers are playing on this trip, Frost has traditionally played better vs weaker competition. I'm in the Ol' Foerster camp, but that kid might need a break, he's pressing pretty hard, maybe a night or two off could be helpful?

Frost could draw into his spot.  I'm not a huge fan of Morgan's I think he hasn't failed to miss an opportunity to solidify his role; He's batting .960 in that regard. So if I'm GMing here I'm playing him so I can use him as a deal sweetner when it comes time to find more assets at the trade deadline. Torts seems to have a disdain for the player so I don't think the Flyers will see peak Morgan Frost in the NHL until he's on another team or Tortorella is fired.

Just watching the highlights from the Sharks game, I didn't see a bunch of weak wristers from 50 feet. I saw some good chances down low that were either saved or the shots missed. The Flyers do seem to be able to do some things off the rush, I also thought the Sharks played with desperation in their own zone. They back-checked hard and had some good fortune to get their sticks on some pucks. This doesn't change the fact the Flyers need to be harder on pucks and pass them a little more crisply-they do. I thought there were Flyers chances that were killed by guys making a desperate play. 

Anahiem outplayed the Flyers a week or so ago. I do think they are further along in their effort to be relevant again. 

the Ducks might be a measuring stick for the Flyers process.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Good Post 1

The O and B may be playing more to avoid losing than to win.  I get it--the coaches want defensively responsible players.  And that approach makes sense with a coach who publicly states scoring will be by committee.  My fear is that it might emasculate what little offense they can muster.  I hope things are a little better down the road.  

The PP units have to get faster and smarter on their entries. So far zone entries are hit and miss. Dump and chase should get you the puck almost every time on the PP but even that is 50/50.

Once they’re in the zone ditch the umbrella. It barely worked when they had G, JV and Couturier on the same unit. These guys should be moving their feet the whole time, simple same-side swaps. One guy (the best hands) works the crease. 10 seconds or less between shots. Everybody can count to 10…keep it simple, skate and shoot.

They’ve figured out what doesn’t work time for something new. Meanwhile practice draws…practice a lot.

• Like 1

Do they have that big guy that can screen the goalie during the PP? I suspect that the PP goals they get will have to be ugly garbage goals at this point. The cute plays are not working...time to get goals by attrition, brute force

• Like 1

Flyers look good glad I could watch tonight. Some real skill goals - Sanheim doing a Bobby Orr then Tippett with another beauty. Farrabee was real good tonight too and Ersson gets a big share of the credit for the W.

Watching this game I keep thinking how nice it must be to have a #2 pick who is everything he's supposed to be. Ha! and now he's got the HT... Carlsson is the the real deal I can't wait till the Flyers get some star talent like that on board.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

exactly. JVR. Then Nolan Patrick... watching Carlsson score the Hattie made me think of the 2010 run and "what if JVR could shoot like Carlsson?" JVR did have a key goal in the G7 comeback win in Boston but his PO numbers overall = 6pts in 20 games - not exactly championship material.

for the record Briere had 30pts, Richards 23 and Giroux and Leino 21. Even Aaron Asham had 7. Carter only had 7 too but he missed 11 games.

I know... ancient history and there's a million "what ifs."

So one more...what if Michkov is our Carlsson? He's having a real good year for Sochi so far, 20pts (10/10) in 22 games.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Farabee seems to be back to his old self. 

For sure, even better. He was a monster with and w/out the puck, easily one of his best games for the Flyers.

Great to see Tippett dance around a defender and score. It was a forward (Vatrano) he made look silly but still...nice goal.

Sanheim is on a mission this year. I won't bother with "I hope it lasts" because there's really no reason to doubt him.

Credit Frost - out of nowhere goes 12 of 16 at the dot. That is outstanding work the Ducks are not pushovers in the FO circle either. Frost finally picked up his first point of the year too. Trade him now, today!

10 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I can't wait till the Flyers get some star talent like that on board.

Define star talent. The only reason I ask is because that term is being thrown around like the term "franchise player" used to be.

Is a star player someone who scores 100 points in a season? Is it someone who scores 50 goals? Is it someone who has a two-way game like Patrice Bergeron had? Is it a defenseman that averages a point per game and plays 25+ minutes a night? 

See what I mean. Star player is so generic that with no definition, it could be anything. 

I'm not trying to be difficult, but there really needs to be a definition of what a star player is. 

11 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Tippett with another beauty.

2 goals good to see it's going to help his trade value.

I can see Danny making a few good moves to push this team forward a lot by the deadline and in the offseason at this next draft.

But i am going to keep the excitement in check beating a bottom feeder like the Ducks is nice but also makes it very hard to judge success against. Just keeping it real.

And from what i have seen too i am trading Laughton first good offer i get too. He will make a nice addition to a playoff team for some good depth. I expect Danny Jones to be very creative in their next moves.

But i want Howie Roseman-esque  aggressive moves. It seems talk of who the Captain will be has died down/irrelevant now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Great to see Tippett dance around a defender and score.

Yeah but this was the most impressive thing of the night...

...man if they could just get this Sanheim all the time it could be a game changer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but this was the most impressive thing of the night...

...man if they could just get this Sanheim all the time it could be a game changer!

Well, the more he doesn't play with Risto the more his confidence will grow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Is a star player someone who scores 100 points in a season? Is it someone who scores 50 goals? Is it someone who has a two-way game like Patrice Bergeron had? Is it a defenseman that averages a point per game and plays 25+ minutes a night? 

It's any of those things, all of which the Flyers have had precious few especially of late...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Right. There’s more than one variety and watching Carlson last night, thinking about the Flyers’ future I want the 100-pt guy … with 80 counting as goals. A 40-goal scorer…it’s been a long time…JLC back in the ‘90s.

Whatever, right now it’s good enough to see Sanheim, Tippett and Farabee play so well. Ersson too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Define star talent. The only reason I ask is because that term is being thrown around like the term "franchise player" used to be.

See what I mean. Star player is so generic that with no definition, it could be anything. 

I'm not trying to be difficult, but there really needs to be a definition of what a star player is. 

A multiple all star.  Done.